Bills better off surrounding Taylor than replacing him?

dezertbill

This is the best situation I think we have ever had to be able to draft a QB with potential and have the pieces in place where we can be patient and have a core around him to let them develop slowly with safety nets. No reason at all we shouldn't use a top 100 pick this year if the player is on the board.

yes, but big IF....Beane doesnt strike me as a GM who would just take a QB to take a QB. They have a project in Peterman, and a current starter in TT. IF one is available they identify as someone they cant live without I fully expect them to take one. If not, I fully expect them to continue to build this team.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point is many of these games have swung on defensive turnovers/scores.

Take Oakland

From the end of the 2nd Quarter into the 3rd the Bills did

13 Points off 3 Turnovers while only accumulating 24 Yards on Offense. That's just not "normal".

It is Football. But it's just not something I believe can be counted on over the long haul.

Only Bills fans could take a high turnover differential and turn it into a bad thing

always on the lookout for an upgrade to a top 10 franchise QB.

you can do alot worse than a Top 15 QB like TT.

let the draft come to you.... don't reach.....this team has plenty of needs OL, WR, TE, DT, LB, QB

I prefer trading down and spreading the risk of injury/salary cap over more players.....just like they did with tre'davious

the future looks bright with Beane/McD calling the shots

You and I agreeing Kirby is getting to be a habit.

Ha Ha, its scary isnt it? I just largely think that we are seeing much of the same from Tyrod. The number will look pretty similar at the end of the year IMO. The record will just look a little better. Rex Ryan was just so inept and it shows more and more each day.

While I agree that Taylor has played pretty well, I think the view would be very different without a plus 14 turnover ratio. Agreed, Taylor does his part by throwing very few picks, but the rate at which the defense is getting turnovers is very high and won't be sustained over the long-haul.

When the defense's rate of turnover returns to a normal level, then the offense will have to rely on Taylor to carry more of the load. We'll see whether he is up to it. To be clear, I am rooting for him, I just have my doubts that he is the long-term answer.

Typically TT gets around 300 total yards per game. Also, he rarely turns the ball over. Our run game (no shock with Glenn back) is rediscovered. Keep winning the turn over battle and its a wonderful recipe for wins, esp when the weather turns bad- see last Sunday.

No, that isn't typical. He averages 228.6 yards per game since becoming a starter in 2015.

Other per game averages

1.556 TDs/G

0.444 TOs/G

37.6 Touches per Game

---

62.8% Completions

3.50 TD/TO

4.14% TD%

1.18% TO%

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Why is everyone so sure the turnover differential cant hold up? Going back to 2013, Seattle has been in the top 10 4 times and the other time they were 16th. In the same time span Kansas City has been #1 or #2 in 4 out of 5 years, the other year they were 21st. Theres no guarantee it will keep up but it is simply a fact that good coaching and smart players can consistently attain a high turnover differential.

And if the point is that the offense isnt scoring off of turnovers, then who cares? Were scoring most of our points on regular drives so if the turnovers dry up a little are we expecting that to stop? We won what amounted to a shootout against Tampa Bay. We can win in a bunch of different ways because we have a complementary team.

Its in the Bills best interest for Taylor to be the guy. They can then use their picks to build this team and groom Peterman. Draft team guys, the current rookies are playing great and this offense doesn't need an elite WR it's built around play action and great catching TEs.

Keep building the D and putting pieces in place for the O and this team with the coaching staff will be great.

Your going to need to surround him with rookie draft picks because no WR in FA is going to come to the team with the lowest passing offense without overpaying big time.

At best Taylor is a bridge QB. If Taylor can prove me wrong by taking this team to the playoffs and winnng a playoff game then maybe you keep him beyond this season.

For a defense getting a ton of turnovers and a RB like Shady we are just a QB away for being considered SB contenders.

Everyone here knows my stance on TT. Hes a top 16 QB, better than roughly half of the QBs in the NFL. Hes just entering his prime in terms of age and games started in this league. I hope we keep him long-term.

With this draft we can focus on LB, OL, DL. I want us to dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball and find a stud LB.

You’re crazy...plain and simple.

Taylor has no to very limited upside to where he sits today. The Bill’s are playing within and to his limits but there is not a team out there that fears his ability to take over a game.

Look at the small handful of very good QB’s .... they take over games when they need to do so.

Taylor is a system QB who can run to get out of trouble. If injury or age takes away his running ability he is a shell of what he is now which is a 500 QB.

I can't say TT is a better than average QB, but rather about average. I still think Peterman has a chance to develop. Depending on who is available, we may or may not want to pick QB. It would be nice to have that kind of luxury. WR/OL/DT/DBs would be nice too. No need to bundle huge assets to move up in my opinion.

Tyrod is a leader. That matters a lot.

He is. He is also the 3rd best player on this offense.

1. Shady

2. Cordy

3. Tyrod

4. Richie

5. JMatt

After that our offense really is a bunch of JAGs. Those 5 HAVE to stay relatively healthy for us to keep on rolling.

He is. He is also the 3rd best player on this offense.

1. Shady

2. Cordy

3. Tyrod

4. Richie

5. JMatt

After that our offense really is a bunch of JAGs. Those 5 HAVE to stay relatively healthy for us to keep on rolling.

my definition of best is how they rank in the league at their specific position.

#1 - Richie is a Top 5 LG

#2 - Shady is a Top 10 RB

#3 - Cordy is a Top 10 LT

#4 - TT is a top 15 QB

#5 - Clay is a Top 15 TE

Passing + Running - Sack

In 2015 his average was 242.2

In 2016 his average was 227.4

So far in 2017 his average is 203.7

Thanks- math was never my strong suit and I didnt crunch numbers- goin off of memory that he has had some 300 plus total yard games- cheers- go Bills!

I think the Benjamin trade pretty much answers this question, as far as OBD concerned.

Benjamin can get Tyrod out of trouble. if all else fails just throw i up for grabs and KB will come down with it. no excuses now, Tyrod has some pretty talented weapons at his disposal when everyone is healthy

I don't understand why folks don't think this team can make it far. I don't think many teams are playing better consistent football than us right now.

It's about time for a thread on Taylor :rolleyes:. If he was a really good quarterback, there'd never be one. Personally, I'd rather not have the threads.

you forgot to mention 300 yards....🤐😨

I don't understand why folks don't think this team can make it far. I don't think many teams are playing better consistent football than us right now.

you forgot to mention 300 yards....

You don't make a trade right now unless you expect to push for the playoffs. This team believes and I believe.

I don't get why so many on this board think that Petterman will have be a starter in this league. He's a 5th round pick. A dime a dozen. If anyone thinks he will ever outplay TT for the job, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

Oh the horror. Im sure youd probably live with several more TDs from Tyrod if it meant a few more turnovers.

Well that's part of the reason I asked Wayne for specific instances this year where Watson was getting the points Taylor wasn't.

It's like people think it's an apples to apples translation of what a QB does with one team to another.

Bill O'Brien- Offensive Coach with an offensive mind

Sean McDermott- Defensive Coach with a defensive mind

McDermott doesn't really like to pass the football unless he's behind, which has been only 35% of the entire time we've played this season, yet during that 35% of our season, Taylor has 52% of his completions and 62.5% of his TDs. Taylor's actually been pretty damn good when we've been behind. He has the 6th best passer rating.

You really think it's just so inevitable he was going to put more responsibility on Watson's shoulders than Taylor's? If anything, I think Watson, a rookie, would have been throwing even less than Taylor under McDermott.

But I just love the way people clamor for other QBs while totally neglecting the head coach or offensive system/philosophy already in place.