Bills better off surrounding Taylor than replacing him?

dezertbill

Bills, thru draft or FA, will need:

1 or 2 DL next year (I would be surprised if Kyle is back)

At least 2 LBs

A guard

WR

QB (I would not be surprised if pick is currently under the radar)

RB (youth)

Depth at a lot of positions

I also think some of these picks next year will be traded for future higher picks.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although as discussed that is not the greatest example because Brees played with not just a bad defense but an all-time record setting bad defense. Give Brees a D that's just bad and he is in the playoffs. As he will be this year.

Thats true but the fact remains that there isnt a correlation between passing yards and winning moreso than a top running game. There are a bunch of ways to win in the NFL.You play to your talent. Edited by Kirby Jackson

what's kind of funny...

People keep saying Taylors got a long ball, he HAS had "deep" threats yet in 3 years he's still had some of the fewest passing yards in the league....

1+1=3 I guess.

Before you champions get upset that is not an insult to TT

Raw passing yards stat correlates more with attempts. I think it was 2015 Taylor was like top 5 in deep pass completions.

I think our ceiling with Taylor is basically Alex Smith.

He will win us a lot of games in the regular season but once we get in the playoffs where teams are better and can force him to stay in the pocket and beat him with his arm, we will be in trouble and exit quickly.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs year in and year out, then stick with Taylor. With the glut of high end draft talent we can get next year, a few saavy FA pickups and the good defense playing complement to Taylor's not turning the ball over mentality, we can win a lot of games.

If it's to win the Super Bowl then we need to find someone better.

Taylor isn't bad...he's actually pretty good when the defense isn't giving up 25 point a game like last year...he just has some limitations that will hinder us in some games when he is forced to carry the load.

How did that work out for the Raiders on Sunday? I think we whooped on them pretty good

Not to mention, anytime a team gets into the playoffs they have a chance to make it happen. Would they be favored if they went into Pittsburgh or Foxboro this year? No, but I wouldn't be shocked if we beat either team...ANY...GIVEN...SUNDAY!

Edited by PaattMaann

They are best trying to do both. Let's see where the QBs stand come January but at the moment I don't see a "sell the farm" guy there. So go in with the mindset that one of your first 4 picks will be a Quarterback but don't force it and use the other picks to put talent around Taylor.

Tyrod will be the starter next year unless a rook beats him out.

This. Teams that have an entrenched, elite starter spend more draft capital on QB than the Bills have, historically. Time for the "well, we got a guy, so let's skip QB in this draft and see...." plan to change.

That said, no need to toss Taylor. Keep him and let the rook fight to beat him out.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I dont see a ton of progress. I see largely the same player as the last few years. TT is good enough to win with and can lift inferior talent around him with his playmaking ability. Hes going to make a few plays each week, both good and bad, that very few QBs make. Hes always going to be hard to quantify because he plays a different style. TT is a middle of the road NFL starter.

You and I agreeing Kirby is getting to be a habit.

From what I've seen on the field, I still think Tyrod Taylor is too limited and inconsistent as a "passer." Yes, he's good enough to get us into double-digit wins. But at some point during a playoff run, I'm afraid his weaknesses are going to catch up to us. At some point, we will need our QB to take over the game with his arm. Either the defense will have a bad game, or the running game will get shut down. A bad game in the regular season, and you can rebound the next week. A bad game in the playoffs and you are done.

If our ultimate goal is a Super Bowl win, I'm just not sure Taylor has the skills to accomplish that.

That doesn't mean I want Taylor gone. Far from it. Even if we draft his future replacement, I think it's best to keep Taylor in place as a veteran stopgap and slowly develop a young QB on the sidelines (similar to what Kansas City is doing with Alex Smith/Patrick Holmes, or what Green Bay did years ago with Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers). In my opinion, this is the best way to continue winning games and pushing for playoff contention, while attempting to upgrade the league's most important position.

I dont see a ton of progress. I see largely the same player as the last few years. TT is good enough to win with and can lift inferior talent around him with his playmaking ability. Hes going to make a few plays each week, both good and bad, that very few QBs make. Hes always going to be hard to quantify because he plays a different style. TT is a middle of the road NFL starter.

Not a ton, but enough for now and keep the progressing going forward.

SO long as he continues what he has shown the past 2 games I say draft a QB who can sit behind and learn and then load the team with needed talent. If Taylor can give a few more years, the team can give him talent for the now, who will develop and ultimately be there for the QB in waiting. The intangible is the team loves Taylor and to boot him off while his play is adequate would hurt the process.

It is amazing how a Defense that can score nearly 7 ppg can make a QB look like he's improved.

I'm not saying that TT hasn't made progress, just pointing out what some people perceive.

Our defense has scored 2 TDs. That's 0.3 per game. Edited by Scott7975

QB’s take some time to develop (usually). If the right guy is available the Bills should draft him even if it means trading a combination of the picks they have in their pocket. Taylor is not the answer long term. Look at KC they got aggressive about picking a guy they wanted in the last draft. You can’t sit idle.

Raw passing yards stat correlates more with attempts. I think it was 2015 Taylor was like top 5 in deep pass completions.

It would be nice to see that return.

Even if he's only 90% You never know when a Ref will have his eyes open and we get a PI in our favor on deep passes.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

What's happening right now is the perfect situation for the Bills, we will options. We will have cap room, a stockpile of draft picks, and possibly a solid starting QB in TT.

This front office set us up perfectly for the future.

Fully agree. Taylor has improved which gives you the luxury of still drafting a QB without having to start day one. This team still needs playmakers. Need to upgrade LB core. Like Milano but not sure about starting. Need a WR stud, DT, CB depth and then fill in with BPA. Lots of flexibility right now for the Bills.

Ridiculous to think how Rex bombed at coaching this team!

Edited by TFBillsfan

The Turnovers/Points from Def-ST is going to drop next season. Those 2-3 extra possessions and 7-10 extra points per game won't be there.

Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus are/will be gone.

Shady on the wrong side of 30.

Will the WR/TE improve via experience/FA/Draft?

Now is Taylor's "mean/average" performance...enough to cover/compensate for these declines? Can he rise his game up? Or can Buffalo do enough in FA/Draft to compensate?

People keep talking about all these needs we have, but you look at some of the guys we have out there that are contributing and doing well and I wonder how many truly critical needs we have.

Position by position:

QB: I think they take one day 1 or 2. If TT gets them to the playoffs he earns the right to come back, but I think Peterman will be very competitive and adding a rookie only helps.

RB: Not a popular thing to folks, but they could benefit from taking a RB high if they see another Shady like guy. Can you imagine if the kid from Penn St is available.

TE: An absolute need? No, unless they let Clay go for cap reasons. O'Leary is pretty good and Thomas is coming around. Would be an area to look at though.

O line: A tackle is a need, and I could see a round 1 pick here. Dawkins may move inside, and Groy as well.

D line: People say we need a DT, and if Kyle retires then it becomes a priority. But the guys we have in thee are playing well. We could use an edge rusher to complement Hughes,: Lawson is a Phil Hansen type, sets the edge well and is great against the run.

LB: Some say we have to get two LBs but I'm not sure I see that. Brown is playing pretty well. People say McD wants his Kuechly; well wouldn't any team? And Humber and Milano look to both be starting caliber LBs. Don't see this as a really high priority unless they see a guy theyr eally like up there.

DB: We look really good at safety with Hyde and Poyer, and now Elston showing he has something. CBs are pretty good. Maybe a third day thing since you can never have enough CBs.

So I'm not sure I see an absolute need anywhere. Maybe RT, and I think that plus adding DTs may be a priority as McD seems to want to build from inside out. No question in my mind they take a QB high. And if they took a stud RB high I wouldn't be shocked.

I like Taylor and think he might be a slight upgrade over Alex Smith. With the right team and coaching, the Bills could win a bunch of games with Taylor at qb (just like Kansas City). I also think it is possible to get to the Super Bowl with Taylor and maybe even win it. He is not an elite qb that will have your team in contention no matter the supporting cast but it is possible to win it all with Taylor at quarterback. If Eli Manning can win 2 Super Bowls then it is possible Taylor could win 1. Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl and Colin Kaepernick was a few plays away from winning one. So with the right coaching, supporting cast and a little bit of luck and it is possible Taylor could find his way to getting a ring.

Edited by racketmaster

Everyone here knows my stance on TT. Hes a top 16 QB, better than roughly half of the QBs in the NFL. Hes just entering his prime in terms of age and games started in this league. I hope we keep him long-term.

With this draft we can focus on LB, OL, DL. I want us to dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball and find a stud LB.

If this year's team doesn't make the playoffs, it will be because of depth. Not because of Tyrod. It is that simple. Use the draft to upgrade a few positions and build solid depth. The sky's the limit then.

And even though I believe you can win with Taylor, the Bills should still be looking to draft another qb next year or the year after. You can never have enough depth due to injuries, contract situations etc., especially at the most critical position. But having Taylor just means the Bills don't have to force the issue and give up a ton of picks to acquire a qb prospect. They can afford to let a qb they like fall to them and then develop them in their system.

I dont mind keeping Tyrod around and continue getting weapons for the team. What I dont want is to pass up on a good QB opportunity. Im just glad we dont have a million holes to fill, this team is playing well together. So BPA could be a good thing as we continue our search.

If you have the chance at a good prospect and the GM feels good about that QB, take him, regardless of what player could help the team and Tyrod.

I dont mind keeping Tyrod around and continue getting weapons for the team. What I dont want is to pass up on a good QB opportunity. Im just glad we dont have a million holes to fill, this team is playing well together. So BPA could be a good thing as we continue our search.

If you have the chance at a good prospect and the GM feels good about that QB, take him, regardless of what player could help the team and Tyrod.

Since the Garoppolo trade, some are saying the '18 draft may not be a good one for QB's

Amazing how things change overnight.

Tyrod is giving us the flexibility to not have to trade a bunch of picks to move up in drafting a QB, but we still keep drafting them when the value seems right and hope one develops.

I love Tyrod as a person. Total class act and honorable dude. I'd let him babysit my kids. He definitely has talent as a QB and his teammates love him. Even if he keeps riding the lightning this season and gets us to the playoffs I'm not sure he will ever attain that special 'franchise QB' status.

Tyrod is giving us the flexibility to not have to trade a bunch of picks to move up in drafting a QB, but we still keep drafting them when the value seems right and hope one develops.

I love Tyrod as a person. Total class act and honorable dude. I'd let him babysit my kids. He definitely has talent as a QB and his teammates love him. Even if he keeps riding the lightning this season and gets us to the playoffs I'm not sure he will ever attain that special 'franchise QB' status.

:w00t::lol::lol:

At some point, we will need our QB to take over the game with his arm. Either the defense will have a bad game, or the running game will get shut down.

If our ultimate goal is a Super Bowl win, I'm just not sure Taylor has the skills to accomplish that.

That doesn't mean I want Taylor gone. Far from it. Even if we draft his future replace

The run game was terrible against Denver. Our defense sucked against Tampa Bay. We won both games because of Tyrod making enough plays with his arm. I dont think Tyrod is good enough to overcome a game where both the defense and run game arent working but realistically there are maybe 3 QBs in the NFL that are that good.

What if they trade Taylor for a 2018 draft pick? Might sound crazy at first...say they make the playoffs and are eliminated in the first round, a team in the #20-30 range offers their #1 for Taylor, the Bills believe there's a very good chance that Peterman will perform at least to Taylor's level, also, the Bills have a QB in the rookie class they want to work with and develop using one of their high picks...then consider that Taylor in 2018 will be on his last year of a contract which means some team will be giving him a long term 25 million a year type of contract after next season. With the current regime, you have to wonder what their plan would be given the looming potential cap hit. Having said that, they will sign him long term very quickly if the Bills get deep in the playoffs and Taylor's having Russel Wilson type of success. He certainly has been looking that way the last two weeks and I hope it continues. We shall see.

Taylor will be the starter in 2018, even if they draft a QB. No reason to rush anyone into the job. Besides, we'll be drafting pretty late. :rolleyes:

This is what I've said all along. The supposedly great 2018 QB class seems to be fading fast as more of the "stars" sink into mediocrity or are revealed as pretenders buoyed up by the talent surrounding them, so it's likely that there will be only 1 or 2 genuine top prospects, and that those will be long gone before the Bills get to pick. There's no guarantee that any of the teams at the top of the draft will be interested in trading away their picks, either. SF and Cleveland, the two most likely candidates for the top picks, have lots of needs.

The Bills shouldn't waste a high draft pick on a QB just to draft one (although I think that's a definite possibility), but they should take one if there's one they think could make it as a pro. Maybe take a kid in the 2nd or 3rd with everything but height or size in general: both Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins sank in the draft because of they weren't judged "tall enough" or "big enough". Drew Brees, a second rounder, is also relatively short.

You cant just subtract the defensive TD and assume the final score is the same, thats not how any of this works

I think the point is many of these games have swung on defensive turnovers/scores.

Take Oakland

From the end of the 2nd Quarter into the 3rd the Bills did

13 Points off 3 Turnovers while only accumulating 24 Yards on Offense. That's just not "normal".

It is Football. But it's just not something I believe can be counted on over the long haul.

Dennison seems to have let the reigns off Tyrod and is allowing him to do what he feels comfortbable doing. so far so good. did the same thing with Shady and the run blocking. they had a meeting and discussed how to improve the run game and after that i see a lot more pulling and counters like last year. hats off to Dennison for doing what no other Bills staff has been able to do: adapt to your personnel and let them just play football

This is the best situation I think we have ever had to be able to draft a QB with potential and have the pieces in place where we can be patient and have a core around him to let them develop slowly with safety nets. No reason at all we shouldn't use a top 100 pick this year if the player is on the board.