Bills better off surrounding Taylor than replacing him?

dezertbill

So you have your fingers crossed for the first overall pick? We need more passing yards!! Brees led the league in passing yards in each of the last 3 years. His record was 21-26.

In 2016, only one QB who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record, he had the #1 defense.

In 2015, zero QB's who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record.

In 2014, only one QB who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record.

In 2013, only one QB who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record.

So maybe we do need more passing yards?

Well that's part of the reason I asked Wayne for specific instances this year where Watson was getting the points Taylor wasn't.

It's like people think it's an apples to apples translation of what a QB does with one team to another.

Bill O'Brien- Offensive Coach with an offensive mind

Sean McDermott- Defensive Coach with a defensive mind

McDermott doesn't really like to pass the football unless he's behind, which has been only 35% of the entire time we've played this season, yet during that 35% of our season, Taylor has 52% of his completions and 62.5% of his TDs. Taylor's actually been pretty damn good when we've been behind. He has the 6th best passer rating.

You really think it's just so inevitable he was going to put more responsibility on Watson's shoulders than Taylor's? If anything, I think Watson, a rookie, would have been throwing even less than Taylor under McDermott.

But I just love the way people clamor for other QBs while totally neglecting the head coach or offensive system/philosophy already in place.

BOB that offensive mind with the 28th ranked O last year. LOL.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's because he had terrible QBs in Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage.

I mean, I know that you'd probably love either of those guys over Taylor, but they absolutely suck.

And guess what, despite technically being the 29th ranked passing offense, due to yards, they were 14th in total pass attempts, which tells you the coach still wanted to throw it, his QBs just sucked too much, throwing for a paltry 5.9 YPA, which was by far the worst in the NFL.

Nice try, though :thumbsup:

You’re crazy...plain and simple.

Taylor has no to very limited upside to where he sits today. The Bill’s are playing within and to his limits but there is not a team out there that fears his ability to take over a game.

Look at the small handful of very good QB’s .... they take over games when they need to do so.

Taylor is a system QB who can run to get out of trouble. If injury or age takes away his running ability he is a shell of what he is now which is a 500 QB.

1. That is patently false. The rams coverage on "All or Nothing" on Amazon showed how the Rams specifically addressed Tyrod as a threat and not just another player.

2. Injury or age can limit any QB; not a revelation to say that.

Yeah, that's because he had terrible QBs in Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage.

I mean, I know that you'd probably love either of those guys over Taylor, but they absolutely suck.

And guess what, despite technically being the 29th ranked passing offense, due to yards, they were 14th in total pass attempts, which tells you the coach still wanted to throw it, his QBs just sucked too much, throwing for a paltry 5.9 YPA, which was by far the worst in the NFL.

Nice try, though :thumbsup:

You're telling me a good QB makes your offense good? Wooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The Tyrod debate will get an answer this year. You can no longer say he doesnt have weapons or anyone to throw to. Hell have a good core of receivers in KB, JM and Zay as well as Clay when he returns and Shady out of the backfield. There is no question that should be enough for a QB to be effective.

Id still like to see us draft someone next year but the reality is that this team can win games with what we have in Tyrod.

In 2016, only one QB who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record, he had the #1 defense.

In 2015, zero QB's who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record.

In 2014, only one QB who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record.

In 2013, only one QB who averaged less than 200 passing yards had a winning record.

So maybe we do need more passing yards?

Didn't tyrod average more than 200 yards passing the last 2 seasons? It's not like he's like.. far off this season either.

Alex smith's last 2 years in SF he was averaging sub 200 yards passing. They were 19-5-1 in those games.

Some coaches value taking care of the ball more than an extra 30 yards per game.

Didn't tyrod average more than 200 yards passing the last 2 seasons? It's not like he's like.. far off this season either.

Alex smith's last 2 years in SF he was averaging sub 200 yards passing. They were 19-5-1 in those games.

Some coaches value taking care of the ball more than an extra 30 yards per game.

Yes, he did.

I just posted the stats. Passing under 200 yards ain't a recipe for success either, as much as folks like to point at Brees.

Ask him to break down how many QBs in the NFL have a 3:1 TD/INT ratio over the last 3 seasons. You can count them on one hand. But nah, we dont care about scoring and preventing turnovers. We want to make sure we average 250-300yds passing every game. Nevermind the fact that this team pays its RB more than its QB for a reason: WE WANT TO RUN THE BALL BY DESIGN.

Ask him to break down how many QBs in the NFL have a 3:1 TD/INT ratio over the last 3 seasons. You can count them on one hand. But nah, we dont care about scoring and preventing turnovers. We want to make sure we average 250-300yds passing every game. Nevermind the fact that this team pays its RB more than its QB for a reason: WE WANT TO RUN THE BALL BY DESIGN.

TT gets paid way more than Shady when accounting for AAV.

Also, I care about scoring. We're 26th in passing TD's though.

TT gets paid way more than Shady when accounting for AAV.

Also, I care about scoring. We're 26th in passing TD's though.

Thats not scoring. Thats passing TDs. Where were we on offensive TDs? You need to get down the field to score. Why would it matter how its scored? Do passing TDs count more?

Thats not scoring. Thats passing TDs. Where were we on offensive TDs? You need to get down the field to score. Why would it matter how its scored? Do passing TDs count more?

Total TD's we're currently 22nd.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=S&sort=tottd

It matters how its scored because you can see which unit is pulling their weight.

No.

That's not what I was telling you. :doh:

You're either trolling (which I hope is the case for the sake of your own intelligence) or clearly you have a really hard time understanding what you read .

Make better points. Rather than telling me with glee that TT is better than the Brocketship (what an honor!)

Edited by jmc12290

The Tyrod debate will get an answer this year. You can no longer say he doesnt have weapons or anyone to throw to. Hell have a good core of receivers in KB, JM and Zay as well as Clay when he returns and Shady out of the backfield. There is no question that should be enough for a QB to be effective.

Id still like to see us draft someone next year but the reality is that this team can win games with what we have in Tyrod.

Dude, the Tyrod debate literally will never be answered as long as he's in Buffalo.

It was supposed to be answered by the end of his first year.

It wasn't.

It was supposed to be answered by the end of his 2nd year.

It wasn't.

It was supposed to be answered in the first half of this season.

It hasn't been.

The reason it hasn't been answered and will literally never be answered as long as he's Buffalo's QB is simply because "passing offense" is measured by YARDZZZ, rather than a combination of important passing stats (and also team approach) and I would honestly bet you that no matter what QB Sean McDermott had, his approach will always take us out of the top of the league in that ever-so-important passing statistic.

Make better points. Rather than telling me with glee that TT is better than the Brocketship (what an honor!)

Oh, so it really was a reading comprehension problem, then?

You honestly didn't understand my point about coaching and offensive approach?

Super sorry, dude. I'll try to dumb it down next time. :oops:

Dude, the Tyrod debate literally will never be answered as long as he's in Buffalo.

It was supposed to be answered by the end of his first year.

It wasn't.

It was supposed to be answered by the end of his 2nd year.

It wasn't.

It was supposed to be answered in the first half of this season.

It hasn't been.

The reason it hasn't been answered and will literally never be answered as long as he's Buffalo's QB is simply because "passing offense" is measured by YARDZZZ, rather than a combination of important passing stats (and also team approach) and I would honestly bet you that no matter what QB Sean McDermott had, his approach will always take us out of the top of the league in that ever-so-important passing statistic.

Oh, so it really was a reading comprehension problem, then?

You honestly didn't understand my point about coaching and offensive approach?

Super sorry, dude. I'll try to dumb it down next time. :oops:

What's McDermott's offensive approach again? Doesn't he coach defense?

Total TD's we're currently 22nd.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=S&sort=tottd

It matters how its scored because you can see which unit is pulling their weight.

22nd isnt very good especially coming off of back to back top 10s. It doesnt tell the story based on how you score though. If you throw it 98 yards and pound it in from the 1 it is a rushing TD. If you break a 78 yard run and then throw it from the one its a passing TD. That doesnt tell much about the drive. The total is all that matters and 22nd needs to improve.

22nd isnt very good especially coming off of back to back top 10s. It doesnt tell the story based on how you score though. If you throw it 98 yards and pound it in from the 1 it is a rushing TD. If you break a 78 yard run and then throw it from the one its a passing TD. That doesnt tell much about the drive. The total is all that matters and 22nd needs to improve.

Well let me ask you a question Kirby. Our RTD total is 15th in the NFL. Our PTD total is 26th in the NFL. Which group is contributing more to be being below average in total TD's?

Because I think those numbers tell a lot about how we score our TD's, and how each group is doing relative to the rest of the NFL.

Edited by jmc12290

Well let me ask you a question Kirby. Our RTD total is 15th in the NFL. Our PTD total is 26th in the NFL. Which group is contributing more to be being below average in total TD's?

Because I think those numbers tell a lot about how we score our TD's, and how each group is doing relative to the rest of the NFL.

Thats not relevant. Thats the point. It doesnt matter how they score!! Thats the design of the offense. The Bills run the ball by the goal line. The fact that they have just 15 offensive TDs in 7 games isnt good enough. If you can show me a correlation between passing TD ranks vs. rushing TD ranks impacting team records I will listen. If not, I dont care. Maybe there is a correlation? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well that's part of the reason I asked Wayne for specific instances this year where Watson was getting the points Taylor wasn't.

It's like people think it's an apples to apples translation of what a QB does with one team to another.

Bill O'Brien- Offensive Coach with an offensive mind

Sean McDermott- Defensive Coach with a defensive mind

McDermott doesn't really like to pass the football unless he's behind, which has been only 35% of the entire time we've played this season, yet during that 35% of our season, Taylor has 52% of his completions and 62.5% of his TDs. Taylor's actually been pretty damn good when we've been behind. He has the 6th best passer rating.

You really think it's just so inevitable he was going to put more responsibility on Watson's shoulders than Taylor's? If anything, I think Watson, a rookie, would have been throwing even less than Taylor under McDermott.

But I just love the way people clamor for other QBs while totally neglecting the head coach or offensive system/philosophy already in place.

Not really. The Bills want to run because regardless of system you do what your personnel is most suited for to score points. If the Bills had better WR s and Watson, they'd be throwing the football. Once the rookie showed he can do it you put more on his plate.

Thats not relevant. Thats the point. It doesnt matter how they score!! Thats the design of the offense. The Bills run the ball by the goal line. The fact that they have just 15 offensive TDs in 7 games isnt good enough.

How could it not be relevant? How could scoring way less by passing than the rest of the NFL and only being slightly above average compared to the rest of the NFL not matter? Those are the numbers you have to add to get our total TD's.

I think our ceiling with Taylor is basically Alex Smith.

He will win us a lot of games in the regular season but once we get in the playoffs where teams are better and can force him to stay in the pocket and beat him with his arm, we will be in trouble and exit quickly.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs year in and year out, then stick with Taylor. With the glut of high end draft talent we can get next year, a few saavy FA pickups and the good defense playing complement to Taylor's not turning the ball over mentality, we can win a lot of games.

If it's to win the Super Bowl then we need to find someone better.

Taylor isn't bad...he's actually pretty good when the defense isn't giving up 25 point a game like last year...he just has some limitations that will hinder us in some games when he is forced to carry the load.

An almost perfect post in terms of matching what I might write on this topic.

We should continue to field the best team possible every time we play. That means Tyrod for now, but we should keep an eye on always improving the team too. Beane confirmed today in his chat with Schopp and Bulldog that they are always looking to do that and even get excited when they are able to snatch a guy on waivers, if it was a guy they targeted and wanted.

Always look down the road while keeping your eye on the upcoming game too.

We should continue to aggressively pursue a QB better than Tyrod, and play that QB when he is ready.

In the meantime, build up around Tyrod and make the most out of him while he is the QB.

The real battleground of the Great Tyrod Message Board War is over two things :

(1) Where the Bills draft a quarterback. I've always assumed a first round QB is inevitable, regardless of how well Taylor plays. But with his good or bad performance the choice could either be a bundled deal to move up or possibly even a second round pick. Given the Bills' stockpile of draft picks, I doubt McBeane could opt not to use a high pick on a QB even if they even partially thought it unnecessary. I honestly think the pressure to do so would be a deciding factor. Beane has been willing to make unpopular choices, but the draft is his Fat Lady Singing moment. It will be pressure-squared then.

(2) Taylor back in '18 as the presumptive starter. If TT continues to play at his recent level, I think he'll surely be back. The front office may have a bright shinny new toy in an early round QB pick, but will be very cautious about throwing him in the pool for fear he can't swim. Also, imagine the Bills winning plus-minus eleven games this year, dumping Taylor, and then taking a step back. What would be a Bills fan-style reaction to that? Lastly, there's the locker room to consider, where Taylor seems to get a great deal of respect. Of course Peterman is the wild card in this. Maybe he's a savior after all......

Edited by grb

How could it not be relevant? How could scoring way less by passing than the rest of the NFL and only being slightly above average compared to the rest of the NFL not matter? Those are the numbers you have to add to get our total TD's.

Dont you always talk about yards? Tyrod has 1,343 passing yards and 175 rushing yards. The team outside of Tyrod has 697 rushing yards. He is almost doubling the rush yardage of the rest of the team with his passing yards alone, add in his rushing yards and its an even bigger difference. He also has 8 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD to the rest of rushing offenses 4 TDs.

Hes also been doing this without starting level receivers. Now Matthews is fully healthy and we have a true #1. Lets see what happens.

Dont you always talk about yards? Tyrod has 1,343 passing yards and 175 rushing yards. The team outside of Tyrod has 697 rushing yards. He is almost doubling the rush yardage of the rest of the team with his passing yards alone, add in his rushing yards and its an even bigger difference. He also has 8 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD to the rest of rushing offenses 4 TDs.

Hes also been doing this without starting level receivers. Now Matthews is fully healthy and we have a true #1. Lets see what happens.

Are you serious dude?

We're 29th in passing yards and 8th in rushing yards. Comparing TT's passing yards to the teams' rushing totals is apples to orangutans to spaceships level of nonsense.

Edited by jmc12290

Are you serious dude?

We're 29th in passing yards and 8th in rushing yards. Comparing TT's passing yards to the teams' rushing totals is apples to orangutans to spaceships level of nonsense.

Sure, that means the difference in yards is less lopsided for us than it is for most teams. But Tyrod like any other QB is still the primary factor in what our offense can do. You cant say were only scoring because of the run game, thats nonsense. There isnt a team in the league who actually relies on their run game more than their pass game to move the ball.

Were tied for 20th in offense TDs per game, tied with Pittsburgh actually. Thats really not bad when you consider the receivers hes had. Last year before week 17 we were tied for 5th in that stat, again with Tyrod leading our offense. Im hoping that stat improves as the season goes on. If you count only the last 3 games every team has played we rank 9th in offense TDs per game so weve gotten substantially better since the beginning of the season.

Sure, that means the difference in yards is less lopsided for us than it is for most teams. But Tyrod like any other QB is still the primary factor in what our offense can do. You cant say were only scoring because of the run game, thats nonsense. There isnt a team in the league who actually relies on their run game more than their pass game to move the ball.

Were tied for 20th in offense TDs per game, tied with Pittsburgh actually. Thats really not bad when you consider the receivers hes had. Last year before week 17 we were tied for 5th in that stat, again with Tyrod leading our offense. Im hoping that stat improves as the season goes on. If you count only the last 3 games every team has played we rank 9th in offense TDs per game so weve gotten substantially better since the beginning of the season.

I didn't say that. There's lots of things I didn't say that are nonsense.

20th is still not good, although where's your link?

20th is still not good, although where's your link?

Here:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-touchdowns-per-game

And youre right it isnt good enough. I am optimistic it will get better because if you sort by Last 3 the Bills are tied for 9th (with 3 other teams). Weve been scoring more since the players talked to Dennison during the bye and adding Kelvin Benjamin should be a huge step forward starting with the Saints game.

Barring a collapse in Tyrod's quality of play the rest of the season I think that the Bills are better off grooming Peterson and another young QB behind Tyrod over the next few years. The team has 5 premium picks possibly 6 if they get that comp pick. I wouldn't be opposed to one of those picks being used to draft a QB but they should use more than one of those picks to draft a QB.

Trading multiple picks for a QB could be a waste of resources. Tyrod is a QB you can win with and the team will have various other needs going into the season. Why not use those picks to solidify the foundation of the roster around Tyrod and have 2 good young QB's behind him developing. Peterman and another young QB developing offer the team a lot of trade bait down the line too if Tyrod develops further.

DT, DE, CB, LB, WR (depending on how Zay finishes and if Matthews resigns), and RG could all be urgent needs going into the off-season. LG, TE, and RB could also be positions where the team younger players at. If the team trades 3 or more premium picks for a trade up for a QB then the ability to address those other needs are compromised.

The Bills have plenty of draft choices and a pretty good amount of cap space. Hopefully the manage those assets well and fill out the gaps that remain in the roster. A all in move for a QB could be very costly if they miss.

Thats not relevant. Thats the point. It doesnt matter how they score!! Thats the design of the offense. The Bills run the ball by the goal line. The fact that they have just 15 offensive TDs in 7 games isnt good enough. If you can show me a correlation between passing TD ranks vs. rushing TD ranks impacting team records I will listen. If not, I dont care. Maybe there is a correlation?

Got you fam.

Average passing TD ranks of the 2016 AFC playoff teams: 14th

Average rushing TD ranks of the 2016 AFC playoff teams: 14th

Let's look at the NFC

Average passing TD ranks of the 2016 NFC playoff teams: 10.5 rounded up to 11th

Average rushing TD ranks of the 2016 NFC playoff teams: 16.5 rounded up to 17th

So it looks like most teams in the playoffs either had above average rushing AND passing TD totals or just almost top 10 passing TD totals with below average rushing totals.

Edited by jmc12290

If the Bills make the playoffs this year, you would be foolish to replace Tyrod. If they don't, then it depends on his performance and the offense's performance and you have to consider all of the factors -- but even then, my bet is that Tyrod's play will only improve over the second half of the year. I don't think he is headed toward regression or a month where he suddenly throws a ton of interceptions.

Tyrod Taylor is a good quarterback. This is his third year of starting, and his third offensive coordinator. If someone we'd drafted like EJ Manuel had this kind of performance in his first three years starting, I feel like the fanbase would be over the moon to get him in the HoF already. But I think because Tyrod came as a free agent, and he won the job when he wasn't supposed to, people have just kind of assumed he doesn't have the potential to improve and become a franchise QB. He has improved facets of his game every year, with no continuity at receiver at any point due first to injuries, then a complete overhaul of the receivers.

The complaining about Tyrod is tired and boring, and he keeps proving those armchair analysts wrong. First people were saying oh this is a run-first quarterback, he can scramble but that's it. Not the case. Then it was all about how he's gonna get hurt, he's gonna fumble. Nope. He can't throw over the middle. Check his breakdowns on PFF -- Tyrod is a good passer, folks.

I think the Bills, with the draft capital they have, are in a great position to bolster the group they already have. This will probably never happen, but if they're going to trade up, I would actually rather they trade up for Shaqon Barkley, the insanely talented RB from Notre Dame. I know that sounds crazy, but I don't think there's any way he falls to the Bills, and even though I have HATED previous Bills drafts where they've taken running backs in the first round even though they already had a good starter... well, I wasn't hoping for the Bills to draft a corner this year either but Tre'Davious White was obviously worth it.

A backfield with Barkley and McCoy alone would be enough to dominate -- and fits the style we want to run more with what we already have in personnel and strengthens it, as opposed to a rookie QB.

I'd like the Bills to continue drafting QBs, but I don't think they need to go "all in" on somebody. You have the luxury of a good quarterback. Enjoy that, and work with him. Continue to tailor the offense to your personnel — Tyrod has one of the most accurate deep balls in the game, get him a downfield speedster for goodness sake. With Tyrod's speed and Shady McCoy, you have the kind of backfield where option plays would make a ton of sense -- feel free to play to their strengths!

Barring a collapse in Tyrod's quality of play the rest of the season I think that the Bills are better off grooming Peterson and another young QB behind Tyrod over the next few years. The team has 5 premium picks possibly 6 if they get that comp pick. I wouldn't be opposed to one of those picks being used to draft a QB but they should use more than one of those picks to draft a QB

The Bills have plenty of draft choices and a pretty good amount of cap space. Hopefully the manage those assets well and fill out the gaps that remain in the roster. A all in move for a QB could be very costly if they miss.

I agree with this.

I'm willing to bet that part of the reason Beane made this huge deal for Benjamin today is that they want to see what Taylor does the rest of the season with a full compliment of talent to work with, especially with Clay coming back in the next few weeks.

So there will certainly be no more excuses and to his credit Taylor has been played as well as you can ask for the last two weeks at home especially orchestrating a comeback against the Bucs.

If the Bills make the playoffs this year, you would be foolish to replace Tyrod. If they don't, then it depends on his performance and the offense's performance and you have to consider all of the factors -- but even then, my bet is that Tyrod's play will only improve over the second half of the year. I don't think he is headed toward regression or a month where he suddenly throws a ton of interceptions.

I agree with this.

I disagree. No matter how TT plays the rest of the season, we should draft another QB high. We have enough draft capital.

No one will ever complain about an embarrassment of riches at the QB position.

No Tyrod does not wear an "S" on his chest. He wears a "T" (which also stands for team)

44d7a854de237fbeb94b9fedadffe6b1.jpg

I think the Bills need to draft a QB but not use all of its ammunition to trade up.

In a QB rich class (as everyone claims) putting out a 2nd rounder on a future QB is a good idea. Tyrod can be the bridge QB and if he does make it to the SB, then he will be our QB for a long time. If you don't even "try", how can we get a "result"

I'm willing to bet that part of the reason Beane made this huge deal for Benjamin today is that they want to see what Taylor does the rest of the season with a full compliment of talent to work with, especially with Clay coming back in the next few weeks.

So there will certainly be no more excuses and to his credit Taylor has been played as well as you can ask for the last two weeks at home especially orchestrating a comeback against the Bucs.

Tyrod game ticks well, when the run game is going wild. When teams stop the run and put the onus on Tyrod to beat them, he has to show that he can do that. Having Benjamin and Clay in the huddle will help him to go for it. There will be games like the one against the Bengals and Panthers where our Run game was stuffed and they dared Tyrod to beat them. He has to show that he can do it.

I think our ceiling with Taylor is basically Alex Smith.

He will win us a lot of games in the regular season but once we get in the playoffs where teams are better and can force him to stay in the pocket and beat him with his arm, we will be in trouble and exit quickly.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs year in and year out, then stick with Taylor. With the glut of high end draft talent we can get next year, a few saavy FA pickups and the good defense playing complement to Taylor's not turning the ball over mentality, we can win a lot of games.

If it's to win the Super Bowl then we need to find someone better.

Taylor isn't bad...he's actually pretty good when the defense isn't giving up 25 point a game like last year...he just has some limitations that will hinder us in some games when he is forced to carry the load.

Totally agree with you. I actually like tyrods attitude and work ethic and hes obviously one of the most athletically gifted players in the nfl. But watching the years of the quality defenses stack the box and challenge him, and he's never won that battle ever. The steelers made us look like a flag football team last year, they stacked and begged tyrod to throw. But I'm not blaming all our problems last few seasons on tyrod. Just saying I don't know if I really believe he can carry us deep in playoffs with his arm. But that doesn't mean trade the sink in picks to reach on a qb. I like the management so far, I hope it continues.

Tyrod is a better then average starter and has been good for a while now.

He got thrown under the bus last season because Rex blew chunks.

The fact that he NEVER turns the ball over, is very efficient at moving the offense down the field, and is a extremely elusive as a QB is a huge reason why the team is winning right now.

He's not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Doesn't mean he sucks.

I was baffled when people wanted him gone last offseason. Made 0 sense to me.

All that said, I'd still draft a QB in the first. The position means too much to a teams success. A LOT more then every other position.

Our offense is actually 20th in yards per drive.