Bills dominating turnover differential - BIG time

San-O

This scares me. Once the luck stops and the balls stop bouncing our way will we still get the wins.

It's not just luck. Tyrod takes care of the ball as good as any QB in the league. Shady almost never fumbles. Defense puts themselves in great position to make plays. Keep doing this, and we'll keep winning. Especially now that we're starting to have an offensive that can capitalize.

This scares me. Once the luck stops and the balls stop bouncing our way will we still get the wins.

It's definitely a concern because we certainly aren't going to get 3+ turnovers every game the rest of the season.

But unlike with the Bucs and Bengals, we actually blew out a team today instead of playing very close to the end despite the turnovers.

Gotta give a little credit to coaching as well for these turnovers. These guys are ripping at that ball non stop and hitting hard (in the right target areas) Its been an impressive defensive scheme for the most part. Milano comes to mind for his big game today. Play hard, every play. Its been an impressive ride watching them.

I for one thought they were doomed and Carr would just light them up all day long.

Gotta give a little credit to coaching as well for these turnovers. These guys are ripping at that ball non stop and hitting hard (in the right target areas) Its been an impressive defensive scheme for the most part. Milano comes to mind for his big game today. Play hard, every play. Its been an impressive ride watching them.

I for one thought they were doomed and Carr would just light them up all day long.

I as well. Figured Carr would go off for 400 yards today. Guess we were wrong...

DNV2giMW4AY0Bus.jpg

What luck? They are forcing turnovers.

This.

R.Rich and I were discussing this today..........it's not luck when your defense is playing with it's eyes forward and anticipating being able to make a play on a football rather than just mindlessly trying to blast receivers.

It's not luck when you are flying to the football so you can stand up the ball carrier and have extra hands there to knock the ball loose.

It's the style of defense..........and as long as teams are pressured to throw the ball more often than run it they should be able to keep winning turnover differentials..........because Tyrod simply isn't going to give the ball away.

This.

R.Rich and I were discussing this today..........it's not luck when your defense is playing with it's eyes forward and anticipating being able to make a play on a football rather than just mindlessly trying to blast receivers.

It's not luck when you are flying to the football so you can stand up the ball carrier and have extra hands there to knock the ball loose.

It's the style of defense..........and as long as teams are pressured to throw the ball more often than run it they should be able to keep winning turnover differentials..........because Tyrod simply isn't going to give the ball away.

One was perfect tackle by Leonard Johnson blasting the ball with his shoulder. One was great tip by Preston Brown and diving catch (the fourth just like this) by always in position Micah Hyde. One was good hit on ST and Milano ripping ball away. And last was Easton just being a center fielder when everyone was covered and the pass went right to him. They are forcing the turnovers.

this is not your Rex Ryan defense , creating turnovers is actually a big part of our game planning on defense

This.

This ^^^^

One was perfect tackle by Leonard Johnson blasting the ball with his shoulder. One was great tip by Preston Brown and diving catch (the fourth just like this) by always in position Micah Hyde. One was good hit on ST and Milano ripping ball away. And last was Easton just being a center fielder when everyone was covered and the pass went right to him. They are forcing the turnovers.[/quote

What about last week a strip and a fumble recovery by White ? I'm pretty sure they work on that in practice, maybe more then some other team ? I would think so

They rip and punch the ball out and pick off forced deep balls, but yes, luck.

Call it luck but if you don't try you don't get

Fumbles are as much chance as they are good play simply based on the issue of who recovers the ball. Bills got lucky on the fumbled PR. Our plyaer was OOB. But Oakland was just as luck to recover the KO.

INTs on the other hand is a sign of good defense.

Just get a little better pass rush. And the turnovers will keep coming.

This was a convincing Win , we pretty much dominated in the second half on defense and we run the ball at will , Tyrod didn't have big numbers by he played well , when was the last time that we couldn't decide who should get a game ball ?

Actually the Bills haven't been great at converting the takeaways into points. So while creating turnovers has certainly helped the get wins, it's far from the only reason. Yes turnovers are drive stoppers and whatnot but the points haven't all been coming off other teams giveaways. They are doing enough things well and not giving the ball away on offense, which is at least as big a factor as the defense getting turnovers.

This was a convincing Win , we pretty much dominated in the second half on defense and we run the ball at will , Tyrod didn't have big numbers by he played well , when was the last time that we couldn't decide who should get a game ball ?

Well, this week the game ball was pre-ordained.

You couldn't collude with anyone on that. Also, your "we don't care that Lynch was suspended because the Raiders have good RB pass-catchers out of the backfield and this should help them against the Bills" plan was foiled as well. You could have hacked every Bills server, or just one, and found out our plan: we ran straight at Mack and didn't allow him any room to make plays. That's what your Bills dossier should say, but, you want to help the Patriots, don't you, because they paid for your salacious nonsense.

Be careful though: if the Bills win the division, you're going to have to find a new donor/law firm to keep your work going. Might I suggest the NFC West? Most especially, focus on the Rams, who(as I've said for years) can't fill a stadium because of the awful NFL market they are in, but, the NFL National Committee and the Rams in LA campaign will gladly pay you for your work.

I know, you spent lots of Rubles on getting all the morning shows to repeat your talking points about the Bills. However, in the end, no Raider RB did anything of real note until we allowed them to, in trade for time off the clock, in the 4th.

So like I said, it's time to find somebody else to pay for lies, Putin.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

So ... are the same people who claim that this is not a sustainable way to win the same people who complain that we aren't scoring enough points off of the takeaways? Seems that way ... enjoy the wins. When we get early 1990s awesome again, then we can nitpick.

This.

If the turnovers are sustainable because of the coaching then McDermott would be the first coach in NFL history to accomplish this feat and should earn 5x what he is currently making.

Chances are, this is not the case. But we can always hope.

I am not ready to get my hopes too high yet. That being said, I don't buy into the idea that playing this type of football isn't sustainable. Maybe not to this level, but to some degree I see this as being the norm. Offensively, we have been good about not giving up turnovers since Tyrod has been under center. Defensively, these guys are taking advantage of mistakes as well as creating turnovers. Maybe they are doing extra tipped-ball drills in practice or something, but I do not agree that it is mostly luck.

Last year through 7 games, we were at +10 and our record was 4-3.

We went (-4) in the last 9 games and it had a lot to do with our 3-6 finishing run.

The fumbles are hard to guess, but the DBs and LBs seem to be in much better position this year and I think the Ints will keep coming.

Its the scheme and good coaching. Offenses will move on us in between the 20s, but there will very rarely be a big play against us and we are always in position to make the tackle. Being in position means that if the ball pops out or if it is badly thrown, there is always a Bills player nearby to snatch it out of the air or collect it on the ground. Good coaching has our players making sound tackles and ripping at the ball. Our offense is all about minimalizing turnovers and living to see another down. Taken all together its the perfect storm for the league-leading turnover differential.

Edited by HappyDays

Its not just luck. This team is heavily coached for turnovers. They are coached to create them and not make them. Players have spoken about this. A lot of the turnovers are forced. A lot of the turnovers are the result of being in the right position to get them which comes from coaching. Preston Brown had the tip for the interception yesterday. Both him and Hyde were in position to make that play because they were coached. Brown was also in position on another one in the same fashion but he had bad hands.

I'm tired of hearing its all luck. Sure some of it might be when talking about the ball rolling and bouncing around on the ground, but even those are created by actively trying to punch at the ball. We would be 20+ right now if you look at the ones we didn't get "lucky" on. We still caused all those too.

It's definitely a concern because we certainly aren't going to get 3+ turnovers every game the rest of the season.

But unlike with the Bucs and Bengals, we actually blew out a team today instead of playing very close to the end despite the turnovers.

Its not like the defense has been terrible outside of the turnovers. They are bad in yardage and that's about it. Carr was 1/8 on third down outside the first drive. They are causing stops and keeping teams out of the endzone even when there isn't a turnover. Except the TB game.

You are almost comical at this point. Not only are you self proclaimed never wrong, but you cant even go man up when you have been wrong all season long. Instead you continue with the same schtick each and every week.

Would you rather rely on the offense to move the ball? :rolleyes:

The Bills are 9th in 3rd down conversions at 42.6%. 2% shy of top 5. I know people want to quadruple down on Taylor sucks, but that hasn't been the case this year.

Here is a nice tidbit about our defensive coordinator

He was defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals from 2003 to 2004 where he helped turn the unit into a group that increased takeaways from 24 in 2003 to 36 in 2004. The Bengals' 36 takeaways ranked third in the NFL in 2004. The 2004 Bengals notched 20 interceptions, the most since 1996.

Here is a little research on our head coach

In 2013 the Panthers were 5th in interceptions / 7th in overall takeaways. In 2014 the Panthers were 14th in INT and 2nd in forced fumbles/ 10th in overall takeaways. In 2015 the Panthers were 1st in interceptions and tied for 1st in forced fumbles/ 1st in overall takeaways.

In 2009 with Philly they were 4th in interceptions and 13th forced fumbles/ 3rd in overall takeaways. In 2010 Philly was 3rd in interceptions/ 5th in overall takeaways.

At some point people are going to have to realize this stuff is not coincidence nor is it just luck. We have a good staff of coaches that instill discipline and regularly practice for creating turnovers and not making them as well as being in the right position.

Edited by Scott7975

If the turnovers are sustainable because of the coaching then McDermott would be the first coach in NFL history to accomplish this feat and should earn 5x what he is currently making.

Chances are, this is not the case. But we can always hope.

I'm of the opinion that while the forcing of fumbles is certainly a skill, recovering them does in fact rely on luck to a great extend. These are pretty good pieces on turnover recoveries:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-fumble-luck

https://drbobsports.com/2016-nfl-turnover-luck/

I don't know if our T/O ratio is sustainable or not over a season. But we're making hay when it counts.