Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can it simply mean that black QBs are more athletic than white QBs? That how I always took it. This is an advantage imo. Rodgers can't run like Tyrod. Pocket passers are known for staying in the pocket because they can't do what Tyrod does.

Why is this a negative thing? I wish it wasn't because the label part is partially accurate imo.

Actually, as Josh, the editor stated,that wasn't the entire interview. We took an interesting quote to discuss which itJosh didn't appreciate. Although, the writer of the actual story thought that was a pretty major takeaway, enough to push the entire story with a tweet about 'being a black QB.' So, I think that about covers it.

Sat down w/ Tyrod Taylor during the bye week. We talked about his haters, his motivators + being a black/mobile QB

the media likes to stir the pot, push narratives for low hanging fruit (selling the sins, if you will) and panders to those which will obviously seek this material out to use it to further embolden their beliefs, create more dissension and most importantly be able to produce another headline.

His words cut to the heart of the hypocrisy behind the labeling of Newton as overly emotional and a sore loser, while Tom Brady and Rivers’ on-field antics are celebrated as passionate competitiveness.

i mean, this is what the buffalo news chose to do and i won't bother reading billswire because its likely worse.

but that is just pure shittastic journalism. that's throwing **** at the wall with no basis. tom brady is a sore loser, i've seen him called that, and i call him that. i call cam newton a sore loser. and i don't know much about rivers to give two *****. but journalism about #feelings make you snowflake media become Tim Graham-ishly silly.

Newton noted in January 2016 that much of the public scrutiny he faced was rooted in the fact that he “may scare a lot of people” as an African-American quarterback “because they haven’t seen nothing they can compare me to.” And this past week, Taylor voiced similar truths.

The Bills starter pointed out that while Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr are mobile quarterbacks in their own right, it was Wilson and Newton who had to shoulder the responsibility of proving they didn’t belong in “a specific box.”

newton, a great sources for this information as he has shown to be an idiot. newton, who just a few weeks ago made one of the stupidst comments to a woman you could imagine. now he's getting praised because he #feels something ridiculous like this? the charlotte media and panther fanbase love that man that he could do no wrong.

what about michael vick, too? doug flutie? why not mention those two? there have been many mobile quarterbacks. why didn't the BN or anyone question taylor on his idiotic comment there - because flutie was as OG black as any mofo on the street, yo.

The Bills starter pointed out that while Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr are mobile quarterbacks in their own right, it was Wilson and Newton who had to shoulder the responsibility of proving they didn’t belong in “a specific box.”

“They claim that we’re not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor says, before adding of Rodgers and Carr: “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

But life isn’t fair. And Taylor knows that, too.

there is a !@#$ton of crictism on carr. but he's new, and can't even enter this discussion from my take. but rodgers, brady, wilson, these guys he mention win things. they can get away with their style of play when it wins. it has nothing to do with their skin color. football fans will cheer a man who killed toddlers the night before the big game.

being "probably" unfair is such a cop out and real journalists would have pressed him on this and not done an Oprah softball to the dude.

still, no matter how well he might play, he knows a subsection of Bills fans will continue clamoring for his backup, rookie Nathan Peterman, or the next unproven commodity from the college ranks.

of course there will be a subsection of those fans when you are a mediocre quarterback. there are fans who want all sorts of things because we want a better team and obviously he isn't the very best. this is also a great fluff line from a journalist.

look, i can appreciate good journalism but when it is shaped to a **** piece like this its a joke.

go, media, go... go to hell with this crap.

------------

edit

ok, i read the bills wire piece. took 90 seconds, so i didn't lose anything of value. but, take a look at this beatuy of a line.

According to Pro Football Reference, Taylor has the most rushing yards (1,269) among quarterbacks since 2015. Only four of the top 10 quarterbacks in rushing yardage since 2015 are African-American, so Taylor makes a valid point.

that's something a 7th grade debate team would tear in to and ask... since 2015, how many black QB's has there been? because, that sort of matters. also, what about games played and not played? bridgewater was hurt, otherwise he'd likely be there.

11 and 12 are black on that list

and only 8 qb's on that list are black in total.

also, change your data up to include any qb to start a game in that time.

70 qb's

18 black dude in there, and one johnathon manziel.

so... your data that concludes every qb for whatever reason focused on 2015 ( sure taylors first year, but in a vacuum everything is cute for journalism) makes taylor among the minority at the position when only 4 of the top ten passers in the league are rushing as much as he is?

i mean, waht the hell does that even mean?

hell, only half of those qb's in the top 10 are bona fide career starters.

i could go on and on with this tearing you and this article to shreds as being nothing more than terrible journalism but i will hold back because it won't matter with you disagreeing on anything because it doesn't fit the agenda of poor garbage.

Edited by Boyst62

the media likes to stir the pot, push narratives for low hanging fruit (selling the sins, if you will) and panders to those which will obviously seek this material out to use it to further embolden their beliefs, create more dissension and most importantly be able to produce another headline.

i mean, this is what the buffalo news chose to do and i won't bother reading billswire because its likely worse.

but that is just pure shittastic journalism. that's throwing **** at the wall with no basis. tom brady is a sore loser, i've seen him called that, and i call him that. i call cam newton a sore loser. and i don't know much about rivers to give two *****. but journalism about #feelings make you snowflake media become Tim Graham-ishly silly.

newton, a great sources for this information as he has shown to be an idiot. newton, who just a few weeks ago made one of the stupidst comments to a woman you could imagine. now he's getting praised because he #feels something ridiculous like this? the charlotte media and panther fanbase love that man that he could do no wrong.

what about michael vick, too? doug flutie? why not mention those two? there have been many mobile quarterbacks. why didn't the BN or anyone question taylor on his idiotic comment there - because flutie was as OG black as any mofo on the street, yo.

there is a !@#$ton of crictism on carr. but he's new, and can't even enter this discussion from my take. but rodgers, brady, wilson, these guys he mention win things. they can get away with their style of play when it wins. it has nothing to do with their skin color. football fans will cheer a man who killed toddlers the night before the big game.

being "probably" unfair is such a cop out and real journalists would have pressed him on this and not done an Oprah softball to the dude.

of course there will be a subsection of those fans when you are a mediocre quarterback. there are fans who want all sorts of things because we want a better team and obviously he isn't the very best. this is also a great fluff line from a journalist.

look, i can appreciate good journalism but when it is shaped to a **** piece like this its a joke.

Ooooooooooooooooooooh kill 'em boyst!

What I don't get is there are countless white QB's who get criticism heaped on them for many of the same things. Nobody claims that it is because of their race. When a black QB is criticized why is it because of their race?

Tyrod, you ARE a mobile QB. One of the most mobile QB's in the game. It's a fact. You aren't incredibly accurate. Not inaccurate, but not super accurate either. Just a fact. These facts have nothing to do with race. These facts are said about many white players too, when they are true.

Fair point. Stereotypes and race based generalizations reach out in all directions....

I saw a program on NFL Network. They were talking to a retired coach and he said they don't even consider white guys for CB. Goes down to the college and high school level. They didn't consider Jason Seahorn until the coach they were talkng to saw him play basketball and realized he had the necessary skills.

Blacks are 20% of the population. So there should be 6 black starting QBs in the NFL. I can think of 7. Hotrod, Russell Wilson, Jameis, Cam, Dak Attack, Kizer, and Watson. So actually, they are over represented.

Edited by reddogblitz

I recently took a dna ancestry test. Guess what? I'm 1.2% victim!! Raising my fist daily now and pulling out the racial/victim card because now that I'm 1.2% victim....I can!!!

Can't wait to make more money and start my own protest AND make excuses for my performance because of my newly found race! Booya!!

Aaron Rogers's is considered mobile

Aaron Rogers is everything!!!! TTs name shouldn't bet in the same thread as Aaron.

Week in and week out teams put a defense out on the field that challenge the Bills to throw and TT cant beat them with his arm.

Im not down on TT but he is an average QB in the NFL at best, and if he wasnt mobil he would be out of work.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

Last year it was the media's fault when he sucked. Now he's being held to higher standard because he's black ?

He almost makes as many excuses as the fanatical taylorheads here. Try not being at the bottom of qb ranking lists. Leave the race nonsense alone.

"Haters" disappear when you're actually good at your craft like Cam, Jameis, Watson, and Wilson.

Message to Tyrod: your lack of production, lack of reading defenses, and area code accuracy have nothing to do with the color of your skin- but rather the fact that you are a bottom tier QB...if Tom Brady were putting up your numbers I would be saying the same thing about him.

Nail, meet coffin.

Taylor will be gone next season. Unperforming is one thing but to bring race into the equation is foolish and has no merit. If he had 1600 yards, 12 TDs would he say it's because I'm a black QB?

Who's to say? But if he said the same thing with those numbers, why would it be anything different?

Frankly I think he has a point

Take a look at Tyrod's history....before he was even drafted people were trying to move him to wide receiver and away from quarterback because of his exceptional athletisism

QBs that you never heard of and are out of the league were taken in front of him.....he stuck to his guns and here he is

Say what you want about how good of a qb he actually is.....I respect the hell out of him

John, respecting him for his fortitude has nothing to do with his inability to release the ball on time

Kimberley A. Martin:

Newton noted in January 2016 that much of the public scrutiny he faced was rooted in the fact that he “may scare a lot of people” as an African-American quarterback “because they haven’t seen nothing they can compare me to.” And this past week, Taylor voiced similar truths.

This new girl Kimberley Martin is something. Refers to Newton's inane statement about scaring people because "they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to" - as if the men who came before him like Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Doug Williams, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, etc. never existed - as "truths".

I saw a program on NFL Network. They were talking to a retired coach and he said they don't even consider white guys for CB. Goes down to the college and high school level. They didn't consider Jason Seahorn until the coach they were talkng to saw him play basketball and realized he had the necessary skills.

Blacks are 20% of the population. So there should be 6 black starting QBs in the NFL. I can think of 7. Hotrod, Russell Wilson, Jameis, Cam, Dak Attack, Kizer, and Watson. So actually, they are over represented.

i had the same issue when looking at the stats to refute the garbage article that was published.

thinking of who was white or black as a qb. there was no way in hell i was going to google the qb to check on race, that's just stupid.

------------

edit

ok, i read the bills wire piece. took 90 seconds, so i didn't lose anything of value. but, take a look at this beatuy of a line.

that's something a 7th grade debate team would tear in to and ask... since 2015, how many black QB's has there been? because, that sort of matters. also, what about games played and not played? bridgewater was hurt, otherwise he'd likely be there.

11 and 12 are black on that list

and only 8 qb's on that list are black in total.

also, change your data up to include any qb to start a game in that time.

70 qb's

18 black dude in there, and one johnathon manziel.

so... your data that concludes every qb for whatever reason focused on 2015 ( sure taylors first year, but in a vacuum everything is cute for journalism) makes taylor among the minority at the position when only 4 of the top ten passers in the league are rushing as much as he is?

i mean, waht the hell does that even mean?

hell, only half of those qb's in the top 10 are bona fide career starters.

i could go on and on with this tearing you and this article to shreds as being nothing more than terrible journalism but i will hold back because it won't matter with you disagreeing on anything because it doesn't fit the agenda of poor garbage.

Can you email me the Cliffs Notes on this post? 😀

Tyrod is now officially turning into a idiot. I have always liked this guys attitude and passion on and off the field, not so much after reading this.

So because he sucks on the field and getting called out for his poor performance it is now racism??? Give me a flipping break with the BS Tyrod...

Edited by Real McCoy

The simple fact that an individual playing QB in the NFL is expected to throw receivers open, see the whole field, go through his progressions, limit sacks as best he can and execute a two minute drill successfully and Taylor is not doing so and yet is still starting, that he is being held to a LOWER standard than other QBs (both black and white).

Its simple Tyrod. Win. Regular season. Post season. Just win. Brady gets praise because hes won big. Cam Newton has not. People have always pounced on very good athletes who fail to win big. Its a nearly impossible standard. Gretzky. Montana. Jordan. Tiger Woods. They are rare. You havent won anything buddy. Until you do there will be plenty telling you your not good enough. Youll be just another guy who played in the league. Go prove them wrong.

This is disappointing.

I hold Tyrod to the standard I would hold any 7th year (48 game) veteran.

There are mistakes he is making that he should not be at this point in his career.

If he wants to fall back on this complaint, that is his right, but I don't believe it.

For God's sake a while back, ALL the QB's on the Bills were African-American !

Our team's history belies this also...............

James Harris (quarterback)

Good old James. That poor guy couldn't win for nothing,being a black QB during a time when race was truly divided.

He wasn't a very good QB though.

I always wanted to see what Marlin Briscoe could do behind center. That man was an athlete.

Taylor discussed the notion that most African-American passers are labeled as “mobile” while noting that white quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr — who are both athletic — get labeled as pocket passers.

“They claim that we’re not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor said. “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

The whole premise doesn't make sense. Wouldn't this mean they'd be held to a lower standard?

Frankly I think he has a point

Take a look at Tyrod's history....before he was even drafted people were trying to move him to wide receiver and away from quarterback because of his exceptional athletisism

QBs that you never heard of and are out of the league were taken in front of him.....he stuck to his guns and here he is

Say what you want about how good of a qb he actually is.....I respect the hell out of him

He's held to a higher standard for a number of reasons and the key underlying factor is race.

He was a later pick because he was black..........he was discounted entirely as an option by most teams in FA because he was seen as gimmick "athletic"(black) QB.

Those teams were wrong.

Now that he is here, color is a factor for some..........but even for those who it is NOT......their opinions of him are impacted by his low pedigree.........which is very much related to race.

I've touched on this subject a lot lately...........the WR corps he's been saddled with is epically bad..........if Matt Stafford were here and had thrown only 5 TD's but had 5 interceptions and 2 fumbles........a lot of the same people here on TSW that are dogging Taylor would be MAKING excuses for Stafford because he's a high pedigree QB who "looks" the part of a white franchise QB.

McDermott and Beane have badly handled the WR situation and it's had a ripple effect offensively.........it has caused them to lose two games.......it may cause Zay Jones to become a waste of draft picks(MORE value than what they got for Sammy)........it has taken a bite out of Shady McCoy's quest for the HOF..........and it's got Taylor openly talking about basically not being given the same opportunitiy/benefit of the doubt that a white QB would get.