Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

Last year it was the media's fault when he sucked. Now he's being held to higher standard because he's black ?

He almost makes as many excuses as the fanatical taylorheads here. Try not being at the bottom of qb ranking lists. Leave the race nonsense alone.

"Haters" disappear when you're actually good at your craft like Cam, Jameis, Watson, and Wilson.

Edited by Game Manager

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam still gets cultural stuff (some a result of his own immaturity, some cause of race), Wilson gets flack for not embracing black culture and the other two simply aren't in the national discussion but regionally jameis has gotten his share (though like cam sometimes hard to distinguish earned vs deserved criticism).

The perception of Rodgers belt celebration vs cams superman or dabbing is at least in part due to race.

This is disappointing.

I hold Tyrod to the standard I would hold any 7th year (48 game) veteran.

There are mistakes he is making that he should not be at this point in his career.

If he wants to fall back on this complaint, that is his right, but I don't believe it.

For God's sake a while back, ALL the QB's on the Bills were African-American !

Our team's history belies this also...............

James Harris (quarterback)

Edited by B-Man

This is disappointing.

I hold Tyrod to the standard I would hold any 7th year (48 game) veteran.

There are mistakes he is making that he should not be at this point in his career.

If he he wants to fall back on this complaint, that is his right, but I don't believe it.

For God's sake a while back, ALL the QB's on the Bills were African-American !

Our team's history belies this also...............

James Harris (quarterback)

I think there's a lot of fair criticism of his play.

I'd also bet we have a portion of the fan base that sees black and athletic and thinks unintelligent and not a hard worker and comes to conclusions about his skill without any idea about his ability to read a defense.

I think we are all better off acknowledging there's still issues even if it's not the defining feature of the conversation about the guy.

Cam still gets cultural stuff (some a result of his own immaturity, some cause of race), Wilson gets flack for not embracing black culture and the other two simply aren't in the national discussion but regionally jameis has gotten his share (though like cam sometimes hard to distinguish earned vs deserved criticism).

The perception of Rodgers belt celebration vs cams superman or dabbing is at least in part due to race.

I'd give Cam, Jameis, Wilson, or Watson the key to the city.

Tyrod's ineffectiveness as a passer is why many dislike him. The skin color really doesn't matter, but guess I can only speak for myself. Seems weak, just like last season's "media is mean" nonsense after he struggled.

Interesting comments originally from a Buffalo News interview.

"(Criticism) is always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am - an African-American quarterback. Look across the league, man. We're held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect."

Taylor wonders why black quarterbacks are labeled as "mobile" while white quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr are considered "pocket passers" despite often using their athleticism to extend drives.

"Even though they're 'mobile' guys, they don't necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair."

Thoughts?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

I think there's a lot of fair criticism of his play.

I'd also bet we have a portion of the fan base that sees black and athletic and thinks unintelligent and not a hard worker and comes to conclusions about his skill without any idea about his ability to read a defense.

I think we are all better off acknowledging there's still issues even if it's not the defining feature of the conversation about the guy.

No one said there wasn't.

I believe that the 'fan' base portion that you refer to is extremely small,

as Game Manager said it is Tyrod's ineffectiveness (and inconsistency) that is the reason for the (deserved) criticism of his play.

Yay this topic!

A discussion involving race as it relates to criticism of QB performance in the NFL is not a sports topic, it is unproductive, uninteresting, and ultimately, a waste of time.

racist. Don't deny racism just because you're a priveleged white cis white man.

Since I am the editor on the actual story and not what someone at another site decided to pull from it, let me say this: those are two quotes pulled from a 40-minute one on one sitdown with Taylor. And frankly, not a fair characterization of the thrust of the conversation.

The full piece along with a wide array of excerpts from the interview will be in the Sunday print edition of The Buffalo News. We also will be making more of it available to non BNblitz.com subscribers. If you are a print or digital subscriber, it is on the site now.

So maybe reserve judgment until you see the whole thing.

Josh

A stand up guy who takes accountability for his poor play > race race race race

yet here you are with this stoking the fire by this article.

I don't give a **** what Taylor says about race, or what Jim Kelly says about Jesus, or what JJ Watt says about global warming, or Julio Jones about immigrants.

These !@#$s need to just play ball.

Since I am the editor on the actual story and not what someone at another site decided to pull from it, let me say this: those are two quotes pulled from a 40-minute one on one sitdown with Taylor. And frankly, not a fair characterization of the thrust of the conversation.

The full piece along with a wide array of excerpts from the interview will be in the Sunday print edition of The Buffalo News. We also will be making more of it available to non BNblitz.com subscribers. If you are a print or digital subscriber, it is on the site now.

Josh

thanks for stopping by and doing this. We just need to lock this topic

Josh

Thanks for chiming in!