Bills Activate CB Greg Mabin & Release WR Philly Brown

Did you see TT hit Zay in the hands multiple times and he couldn't hang on? TT knows he's out there.

...let's look at this logically.....a collegiate kid coming off a 160 reception season transitioning to the NFL, WHICH is a whole different ball game....he was not known for drops, so a few drops at the NFL level is a brand new world of hurt for the kid and a premature confidence breaker......he has to get over it and stop pressing because 160 receptions at this level ain't happening....at the same time, TT needs to look for other WR's as well including Zay who needs to build his confidence..."spread the wealth"....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...let's look at this logically.....a collegiate kid coming off a 160 reception season transitioning to the NFL, WHICH is a whole different ball game....he was not known for drops, so a few drops at the NFL level is a brand new world of hurt for the kid and a premature confidence breaker......he has to get over it and stop pressing because 160 receptions at this level ain't happening....at the same time, TT needs to look for other WR's as well including Zay who needs to build his confidence..."spread the wealth"....

He's still gonna get targets.

He's still gonna get targets.

...sure as hell will....the TBD pundits have downgraded the kid because of "lack of competition" which yielded 160 receptions....my analogy was how much competition did Jerry Rice have at Mississippi Valley State (NOT comparing the two PERIOD).....and someone perfectly posted about the number of drops Jerry had in his rookie year....of course the TBD (and posthumously BBMB ) crowd promulgate the "One and Done" scenario, asinine as it is.....the kid will come around...too much talent and passion for the game to deny him IMO....stay tuned.........

I mean he's been targeted 17 times, 3rd most on the roster. The only people who have been targeted more are Charles Clay with 25 (which he's caught 18 - 72%) & LeSean McCoy with 23 (which he's caught 21 - 91%). Jones however has caught 4 of 17 - 23%... Jordan Matthews has only been targeted 13 times & has caught 10 of those - 77%.

In fact, Jones has the WORST reception percentage of anyone on our roster who has been targeted period. The next lowest reception percentage is Kaelin Clay, who has been targeted 4 times & only caught 1 pass - 25%. Pro NFL players, especially WRs, should catch around 70% of their passes (which about everyone else on the roster has).

WR is one of the more difficult positions for rookies to adjust to, but he's not just performing below average, he's doing epically bad. We can't afford to throw countless passes to him each game to help him "warm up" or build confidence. He has to make the plays himself! We are already 2nd in the league in going 3 & out, with 48% of our drives ending that way. We cannot risk throwing to Zay all those drives just to hope he'll eventually start catching some. We already don't throw the ball well, as we're ranked 31st in the league in passing. When Zay is targeted (which he frequently is), he has to make the most of those opportunities himself. Responsibility is on him.

Is Greg Mabin related to Aaron Mabin?

Mabey, just mabey..... (see what I did there....)

I mean he's been targeted 17 times, 3rd most on the roster. The only people who have been targeted more are Charles Clay with 25 (which he's caught 18 - 72%) & LeSean McCoy with 23 (which he's caught 21 - 91%). Jones however has caught 4 of 17 - 23%... Jordan Matthews has only been targeted 13 times & has caught 10 of those - 77%.

In fact, Jones has the WORST reception percentage of anyone on our roster who has been targeted period. The next lowest reception percentage is Kaelin Clay, who has been targeted 4 times & only caught 1 pass - 25%. Pro NFL players, especially WRs, should catch around 70% of their passes (which about everyone else on the roster has).

WR is one of the more difficult positions for rookies to adjust to, but he's not just performing below average, he's doing epically bad. We can't afford to throw countless passes to him each game to help him "warm up" or build confidence. He has to make the plays himself! We are already 2nd in the league in going 3 & out, with 48% of our drives ending that way. We cannot risk throwing to Zay all those drives just to hope he'll eventually start catching some. We already don't throw the ball well, as we're ranked 31st in the league in passing. When Zay is targeted (which he frequently is), he has to make the most of those opportunities himself. Responsibility is on him.

So, you are saying he is a possession receiver? Because that's all I knew about him coming out of college. WTH happened to this guy?

....so in his FOURTH game at this level, cut his azz, right?.....certainly agree that minis, OTA's, pre-season and FOUR NFL starts should be PLENTY of time to show if he is the next Jerry Rice or a bust.....um got it.........yawn.gif

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I agree with your post except the bolded. That stat is probably the most bogus stat I have ever seen. Its only 48% if you include drives that we scored points on and drives we were clearly burning clock. The reality is our 3 and out percentage is 30.5.

We throw the ball pretty well actually. We just don't throw it often. On a per attempt basis we are, without looking, probably top 3rd in the league.

Edit just looked:

9th average per attempt

13th Completion %

7th Rating

16th 20+ yards

10th 40+ yards

8th 1st%

4th Ints

13th third down efficiency (as an offense not just passing)

7th in third down conversions per game

Edited by Scott7975

Watch Zay catch 9 for 140 and 2 TDs now

There isn't really anyone else in the WR corps to throw to but if "Drop Zone" Jones catches 9 passes tomorrow when they typically complete less than half that amount to the entire WR corps.........that would be a shock.

And 140 yards........that would mean at least a couple huge plays.

How many targets we talkin' bout' here? 25? 30? :thumbsup:

There isn't really anyone else in the WR corps to throw to but if "Drop Zone" Jones catches 9 passes tomorrow when they typically complete less than half that amount to the entire WR corps.........that would be a shock.

And 140 yards........that would mean at least a couple huge plays.

How many targets we talkin' bout' here? 25? 30? :thumbsup:

Well if he follows his current pace of catches per target, he would need about 50 targets to catch 9 balls.

That is what I'd do. Think we will need a 3rd running back here.

It would be nice to see someone other than a FB give Shady a spell. I think not having a north/south runner with any quickness or speed is hurting the run game.

It would be nice to see someone other than a FB give Shady a spell. I think not having a north/south runner with any quickness or speed is hurting the run game.

So essentially what you're saying is you've seen enough of fat, slow and old RB that drops passes and fumbles? You may be on to something.

Yep. They kept Banyard so let's see what he's got. McBeane signs and releases players every 8 hours it seems to improve the team, so why not try a simple move like dressing Banyard to see if we can jump start the run game.

Yep. They kept Banyard so let's see what he's got. McBeane signs and releases players every 8 hours it seems to improve the team, so why not try a simple move like dressing Banyard to see if we can jump start the run game.

...why not a change of pace substitution to keep the defense adjusting?......Kenneth Davis in for Thurmal was an ideal situation......productive and forced defense to adjust while at the same time giving Thurmal a breather....don't remember egregious offense suffering..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

...why not a change of pace substitution to keep the defense adjusting?......Kenneth Davis in for Thurmal was an ideal situation......productive and forced defense to adjust while at the same time giving Thurmal a breather....don't remember egregious offense suffering..........

Yep. And both Karlos and Gilislee were both excellent change of pace backups to Shady. With Tonka Toy the only change of pace is fast to slow.

Some Clay, some Mccoy, mixed in with a little Zay, O'Leary, Holmes, Keep in and DiMarco.

It's going to be tough sledding but I see the Bills trying to get the ball in a bunch of different people's hands. The type of game where like 8 different people catch a pass. Can we do that? Not sure, but absent a monstrous game from McCoy I think that will be the formula to sneak out a win on the road.

I envision lots of 2 TE 2 Wr and 3 TE and 1 wr formations

Man, if McD and staff figure out a way to get a win out of this injury situation on the road against a good team, you really gotta start "Billievin". I see dark clouds around this game for sure due to the injuries.....

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

Man, if McD and staff figure out a way to get a win out of this injury situation on the road against a good team, you really gotta start "Billievin". I see dark clouds around this game for sure due to the injuries.....

"Dark clouds" when thunderstorms are expected? I see what you did there. Pun game level = expert