Positive/Negatives from Today's game

positive from the game:

1: Run defense was sick, sick, sick. Was this the same team that gashed us hard last season
2: Efficient game planning. Imagine doing things to enhance a flawed QB's strength while hiding his weaknesses. Novel concept.
3: Secondary looked good, because most passes were short to midlevel. No one got behind them, no one got burned.
4: Line held up well pass blocking. Run blocking is still sick.
5: Linebackers all over the field.
6: Coaching made a good game plan and adjusted once Jets gave up on the run.
7: Using TE's always helps and offense.
8: New look receivers did well and were above-average to good.
9: TT did what TT is made to do. Time to get off his jock a little

negatives from the game:

1: Pass rush was almost nowhere.
2: Clay can't keep dropping passes
3: Where is Dareus seems to be the new Where's Waldo?
4: When up by nine, game got too conservative
5: No killer instinct to put games away
6: The red zone Int was killer, but that was as much on Clay as TT

Agree with everything you said.

We need more pass rush from Dareus against better teams. Saying that McCown did a good job getting the ball out quick. Newton will hold the ball much longer next week, we will see what they do with more opportunities.

I was really impressed with Poyer, Humber, and McCoy today.

The Good- pretty much our best players- Mccoy/Clay/Matthews/Taylor/Hyde all had solid games.

The Bad- Where was dareus, Hughes, meatball, Lawson, Brown???? This is McCown not Cam Newton, makes me think were going to get beat up next week but week 1 is always weird so hopefully Humber isn't leading the charge again next week.

Yea we will need more pass rush in the games that come. The Jets were not taking shots though.... the plan was get the ball out quick. Both Lawson and Kyle were there and close on a couple of occasions. They doubled Jerry a lot. Not freaking out at this stage but we need to get to Quarterbacks when you look at the list of the ones we are due to play.

Positives:

• A Win!
  • Running game
  • Solid QB play
  • Strong run D
  • Very good play from all-new secondary
  • O Line run blocking
  • Shady
  • Purposely targeting the TE
  • QB throwing the ball into the stands when nothing there--no sacks?

Negatives:

• Not finishing two drives with points (Interception & missed FG)
  • Little pressure from d-line
  • P Brown missing in action
  • Purposely targeted TE dropping TD pass
  • Not burying a team we should/could have
Edited by CSBill

Trade Update

Matthews 2 catches 61 yards

Sammy 5 catches 58 yards

EJ Gaines 3 tackles Week to week with shoulder injury

Ronald Darby 1 tackle. Out for atleast 6-8 weeks with dislocated ankle. Possibly longer.

I'll take it

Ha! good update. Mathews ends up with more production then Sammy and Gaines will be a higher rated CB over Darby.

The Good- pretty much our best players- Mccoy/Clay/Matthews/Taylor/Hyde all had solid games.

The Bad- Where was dareus, Hughes, meatball, Lawson, Brown???? This is McCown not Cam Newton, makes me think were going to get beat up next week but week 1 is always weird so hopefully Humber isn't leading the charge again next week.

It's hard to pick out a players number when you have 5 defenders piled up on top of a RB.

One of the best takeaways from this game was the demeanor of the coaches on the sidelines. There was order and maturity. There wasn't a lot of clownish behavior and ranting on the sidelines. Players weren't looking toward the sidelines for signals while the ball was being snapped. And players weren't confused as to who should be on the field because the fat coaches on the sidelines are changing the calls right up to the snap. I was watcing coaches conversing with their position groups. There was mature engagement without the histrionics between the parties.

This team still has some major gaps that will take at least a couple of drafts and offseasons to fill. But for the long run there should be more optimism because the coaching staff is so much better. Coaching matters.

Good:

Shady looked vintage

Tolbert contributed on the ground

Tyrod still slippery

Seems like smoother calls from the sidelineson both sides of the ball(none of that Wrex confusion at the snap)

Beautiful weather

They sell beer til the end on the Third Q now!

Bad:

Need a better showing from D front

Clay needs to catch that TD

Thought we could use a better pace on O

As far as the lack of pass rush goes...

Go through the all-22 and post the plays where McCown just sat back in the pocket for more than 3 seconds. Hint: there are none. Dude was getting the ball out almost immediately because they knew what was coming if they didnt. The Jets entire plan was quick short passes.

The DL dominated the run game though. Which is a major improvement from last year. I think they did very well yesterday considering they were made 1-dimensional. But you can also look at that as the Jets made themselves 1-dimensional, and easier to beat.

Edited by DrDareustein

Pros

Win

Shady

Run D

As JohnC mentioned, the overall preparedness of the team was extremely refreshing. I think they blew one coverage all game, almost no presnap penalties, etc.

Clay

Negatives

Gotta finish those drives

Pass rush, but McCown had a big part in that.

Would like to see some more throws down the field, but would need to watch all-22 to see if there were opportunities or not.

Agree with much that's been posted already. Of course - it's only one game. Some of our worries will vanish next week while new worries will emerge. But all-in-all, it was an encouraging performance.

Btw, I love the BN headlines from Bucky and Sully:

Jerry Sullivan: Bills win, but don't read too deeply into it

Bucky Gleason: More fiction than facts in Bills' win over Jets

Jerry Sullivan's Hot Read: Nice start, but passing game still an issue

Bucky Gleason's Hot Read: Bills fans should rejoice ... while they can

One thing I didn't like that I didn't see anyone else mention ( I know I am nitpicking) is that we snapped the ball a lot with 14, 15 or 16 seconds still on the clock after we were up. It wasn't until the last possession or two that we started letting the clock wind down to 3 or 4 seconds.

It adds up, on 4 downs that is leaving another minute on the clock.

One thing I didn't like that I didn't see anyone else mention ( I know I am nitpicking) is that we snapped the ball a lot with 14, 15 or 16 seconds still on the clock after we were up. It wasn't until the last possession or two that we started letting the clock wind down to 3 or 4 seconds.

It adds up, on 4 downs that is leaving another minute on the clock.

I was surprised McDermott didn't pull Tyrod and McCoy in the fourth once the Bills had a 2 score lead. Based on the Jet's lack of performance, I would have pulled them and had Peterman handing off to backup runners to burn the clock.

The defense wasn't as good as I had hoped against a career backup QB. It will be interesting to see how they perform against Carolina.

OTOH the penalties that have plagued this team for years was much improved.

That rushing attack was a thing of beauty and even with the fullback toting the rock. 1-0 in the division!

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I've really only been skimming threads but the most troubling play was Taylor throwing just throwing the ball down incomplete with a little less then 5 minutes to go. I don't know if that was his decision or if a coach told him to do that if he couldn't find anyone open but that showed a disturbing lack of time management. It was a 3rd down so taking a sack would have been better in order to run clock. I would really like to know why they thought that was a good idea.

LOL on Clay needs to cahtch that TD. It was behind him and shoulder high and late and he took a pounding. Im suprised he got back up so quickly.

The throw was a little high but very catchable. And he didn't take the hit until after it bounced off his hands. You can maybe put a little bit of that on the throw but that is mostly on Clay. He needs to be able to catch those.

I think people are overreacting on the lack of a pass rush. The plan was obviously to get the ball out quickly and the Jets WRs TJ get yards after the catch.

Credit has to go to the D-Line for the lack of quality runs allowed and to the LBs/Dbs for not allowing a big play. They allowed about 200 yards...that is a good day.

The defense wasn't as good as I had hoped against a career backup QB. It will be interesting to see how they perform against Carolina.

OTOH the penalties that have plagued this team for years was much improved.

That rushing attack was a thing of beauty and even with the fullback toting the rock. 1-0 in the division!

They held the Jets to 200 yards and one TD...that is pretty good. It is on reasonable to expect the Bills to shut them out.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I've really only been skimming threads but the most troubling play was Taylor throwing just throwing the ball down incomplete with a little less then 5 minutes to go. I don't know if that was his decision or if a coach told him to do that if he couldn't find anyone open but that showed a disturbing lack of time management. It was a 3rd down so taking a sack would have been better in order to run clock. I would really like to know why they thought that was a good idea.

Yeah I was wondering what this was too. McDermott did not look happy either.

positive from the game:

1: Run defense was sick, sick, sick. Was this the same team that gashed us hard last season

2: Efficient game planning. Imagine doing things to enhance a flawed QB's strength while hiding his weaknesses. Novel concept.

3: Secondary looked good, because most passes were short to midlevel. No one got behind them, no one got burned.

4: Line held up well pass blocking. Run blocking is still sick.

5: Linebackers all over the field.

6: Coaching made a good game plan and adjusted once Jets gave up on the run.

7: Using TE's always helps and offense.

8: New look receivers did well and were above-average to good.

9: TT did what TT is made to do. Time to get off his jock a little

negatives from the game:

1: Pass rush was almost nowhere.

2: Clay can't keep dropping passes

3: Where is Dareus seems to be the new Where's Waldo?

4: When up by nine, game got too conservative

5: No killer instinct to put games away

6: The red zone Int was killer, but that was as much on Clay as TT

agree with most except the pass rush comment. The pass rush was there, McKown just gets rid of the ball VERY quickly. The rush created at least 1 of the two INT's.

I also disagree with #4. #4 is how the Steelers salt away games. We salted away this one. Esp. when not playing a high scoring team (the Jets) no need to risk letting them back into it with an INT. Rather have the Tolbert show!

Biggest positive is that The Bills won and are in 1st place in the AFCE right now.

well said. I'll take any win (ugly, pretty, blah) over any loss.

Go through the all-22 and post the plays where McCown just sat back in the pocket for more than 3 seconds. Hint: there are none. Dude was getting the ball out almost immediately because they knew what was coming if they didnt. The Jets entire plan was quick short passes.

The DL dominated the run game though. Which is a major improvement from last year. I think they did very well yesterday considering they were made 1-dimensional. But you can also look at that as the Jets made themselves 1-dimensional, and easier to beat.

THIS. Except there were a few times at the end when they were desperate and tried to throw it down field. Guess what happened? McCown got crushed by Hughes and Alexander (i believe) and threw two interceptions.

Just because we don't see a player making a tackle doesn't mean he wasn't where he was suppose to be and contributing. Maybe MD did exactly what he was suppose 95% of the time, maybe Brown forced the ball carriers into the arms of Humber. Don't forget football is a team sport.

Thank you. The criticism of the front four around here shows how abysmally ignorant any number of posters are. Clearly Frazier's plan was to take away a pretty good Jets running game and force a not very good McCown to beat them with short passes by plugging the line and holding contain. And it worked perfectly. Come on, critics: 38 yds rushing TOTAL and 3 interceptions (and at least 2 others that could have been). The front 7 were spectacular. They just weren't flashy. I'll take that performance everyday.

Thank you. The criticism of the front four around here shows how abysmally ignorant any number of posters are. Clearly Frazier's plan was to take away a pretty good Jets running game and force a not very good McCown to beat them with short passes by plugging the line and holding contain. And it worked perfectly. Come on, critics: 38 yds rushing TOTAL and 3 interceptions (and at least 2 others that could have been). The front 7 were spectacular. They just weren't flashy. I'll take that performance everyday.

I think the disappointment in the defensive line's pass rush is more of a forward looking thing. People here are thinking, if the Jets had a better quarterback, that better QB likely would have been picking the Bills secondary apart because there wasn't enough pressure - especially the first 3 quarters of the game.

Positives

1. Time of Possession

2. Secondary looked faster, Trey White, Gaines, Poyer and Hyde were flying around.

3. Tyrod escaped 2-3 would be sacks out there.

Negatives

1. Stop trying to get the edge with Tolbert. We lost yards on that play at least 3 times.

Stupidest Moment

1. Todd "Marrone" Bowles punting from midfield on 4th-8 with 4 minutes to play in the 4th quarter down by 2 scores.

Positive:

Win, run def,Tyrod using middle of field, plays being called on time, lower penalties.

Negative:

WR not getting a lot of seperation or not being targeted as much(havent seen the all 22), pass rush, dareus nowhere to be found, but the biggest one was getting too conservative with a small lead instead of hitting the killswitch. That will haunt us vs better teams