So Boldin retired?

I specified the front 7 ( meaning the LB corps) not the front 4. And the secondary. A bit early to call Lawson anything approaching elite.

I know reports from camp have been solid but Lawson didn't really look too good in the Eagles game. He's got a lot to prove.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could post videos of all of Boldin's routes that game. If you can see a replay, watch him closely and tell me if you think he looked ready for the NFL? Is it rust or old age?

No one elite. Just Dareus, Williams, Lawson and Hughes. Name every team with a better front 4.

Lawson elite?

Allocation of salary cap $$$ I guess.

They don't want to invest heavy cap $$$ into the WR position and that's what they would've done had Sammy had a big year.

I 100% disagree with that philosophy. You need playmakers on offense if your going to win in this league. The better teams of the league are loaded with them.

The Bills have McCoy. That's it.

If they use that 2nd round pick they got for Sammy on a WR I'll laugh hysterically.... And maybe cry.

I agree with you.

But if the issue behind the move is salary cap, where do they plan to spend their money? They haven't shown that toward any position yet

But if the issue behind the move is salary cap, where do they plan to spend their money? They haven't shown that toward any position yet

Base on the Panthers trends (I set this out on another thread yesterday) front 7 on defense, Quarterback, Running Back, Tight End and Kicker.

Base on the Panthers trends (I set this out on another thread yesterday) front 7 on defense, Quarterback, Running Back, Tight End and Kicker.

Front seven is key, especially in this defense.

Again like Scott said, we won't need to pay a QB for years to come unless they are planning a trade or FA acquisition

Maybe LB will see some money in the near future

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

Except we won't have to pay a QB for at least 6 years.

And RB? Who invests a lot of their cap into a RB?

So I agree with emotionally stable. They have to invest the cap some where. A top WR would've been a good place to start.

The Carolina Panthers do, and have throughout Beane's tenure there both underneath Marty Hurney and Dave Gettleman. First D'Angelo Williams and now Jonathan Stewart have been re-signed and have been among the richest running back contracts in the league at different times. Who knows if Beane is absolutely aligned with those decisions? He wasn't the head man making them...... but I think it is an interesting debate to look at where we might prioritise our cap $$s.... and I just did a basic assessment with what I found online regarding where the Panthers have spent.

The consistent patterns are - they invest in front 7 talent and they invest at running back and kicker. When they have had a franchise QB earning good money they don't pay their receiver. The only rich receiver contracts in that time were given to Steve Smith when they were not paying a franchise QB. As soon as they had to pay Cam the trade off was release Smith.

I am not telling you that is where I want them to spend or that I agree with those decisions....... I am just telling you what the history in the place our GM spent his whole career preparing for this job is.

The Carolina Panthers do, and have throughout Beane's tenure there both underneath Marty Hurney and Dave Gettleman. First D'Angelo Williams and now Jonathan Stewart have been re-signed and have been among the richest running back contracts in the league at different times. Who knows if Beane is absolutely aligned with those decisions? He wasn't the head man making them...... but I think it is an interesting debate to look at where we might prioritise our cap $$s.... and I just did a basic assessment with what I found online regarding where the Panthers have spent.

The consistent patterns are - they invest in front 7 talent and they invest at running back and kicker. When they have had a franchise QB earning good money they don't pay their receiver. The only rich receiver contracts in that time were given to Steve Smith when they were not paying a franchise QB. As soon as they had to pay Cam the trade off was release Smith.

I am not telling you that is where I want them to spend or that I agree with those decisions....... I am just telling you what the history in the place our GM spent his whole career preparing for this job is.

I always picture them as front seven and qb with the rest being spend of opportunity.

Running back a maybe. But we could've had MG for not much more and didn't really spend premium resources there outside existing.

NFL.com: Anquan Boldin: It's my life mission to help people

Anquan Boldin says he decided to retire from football in order to focus on his mission of helping people.

The former Buffalo Bills wide receiver discussed with NFL Network's Cole Wright what spurred his decision to announce his retirement on Sunday after 14 NFL seasons.

"For me, it's always been my life's mission to help people in a number different ways whether it be in this country or this countries," Boldin said in an interview that will air on NFL Total Access at 7 p.m. ET Monday. "But for the last couple of years I've been advocating for criminal justice reform. I've been trying to improve police-community relations across the board. I think where we are as a country now, it breaks my heart to see how divided we are and I don't think it should be that way."

JW talked to Boldin directly.

@john_wawrow

As promised, fully updated story on AP's interview with Anquan Boldin and his decision to retire from #Bills/NFL.

Boldin turns focus from NFL to bridging racial division

http://pro32.ap.org/article/boldin-turns-focus-nfl-bridging-racial-divisions

I call the reasons he explained in the article as mostly B.S - just an excuse.

In reality.....

The guy was wishy washy about signing to begin with.

Then the Bills make personnel moves that make Boldin and other veterans question management's/coaches'/owners' intent for this season.

And Beane trades the guy that was probably half the reason they wanted to sign Boldin in the first place.

Then Boldin spends a few weeks practicing here and plays in a preseason game in which the Bills looked like they could be bottom dwellers in the league.

Yeah. You can see how it came to him walking away.

All I know is, it takes some major motivation to walk away from a couple million dollars - even if you have millions in the bank. Major life decision for that guy. Because you can change a lot of lives with an extra couple million. And it's not like he wouldn't be able to do his good deeds while playing. And how much worse off would the world really be if Boldin waited another 6 months to begin his full time crusade to save humanity from racism? As if he really believes that he is going to make that much difference in the coming weeks and months compared to waiting till his season is over in January. I guess he plans on fixing the world in the next 6 months.

Talk about ambitious. I cal bullsh.. Just B.S. excuses. If he was that hell bent on his humanitarian pursuits - no way he ever signs with Buffalo in the first place.

Truth is, the Bills gave him enough reasons to walk away from $1.75 million guaranteed + bonuses + playing football.

It's just another log to throw on Beane's future funeral pyre if the team doesn't find any success in the next couple seasons.

he saw how bad the Bills were and he decided it was easier to end racism than to get the Bills to the playoffs :doh:

i wonder if they do the Watkins trade if Boldin doesn't sign. they might have but with Boldin they saw it as an extra security blanket perhaps. i would like for them to add 1 more guy, maybe a burner like Dorsett as has been mentioned

In reality.....

Then the Bills make personnel moves that make Boldin and other veterans question management's/coaches'/owners' intent for this season.

And Beane trades the guy that was probably half the reason they wanted to sign Boldin in the first place.

Then Boldin spends a few weeks practicing here and plays in a preseason game in which the Bills looked like they could be bottom dwellers in the league.

All I know is, it takes some major motivation to walk away from a couple million dollars - even if you have millions in the bank. Major life decision for that guy. Because you can change a lot of lives with an extra couple million. And it's not like he wouldn't be able to do his good deeds while playing. And how much worse off would the world really be if Boldin waited another 6 months to begin his full time crusade to save humanity from racism? As if he really believes that he is going to make that much difference in the coming weeks and months compared to waiting till his season is over in January. I guess he plans on fixing the world in the next 6 months.

Talk about ambitious. I cal bullsh.. Just B.S. excuses. If he was that hell bent on his humanitarian pursuits - no way he ever signs with Buffalo in the first place.

Truth is, the Bills gave him enough reasons to walk away from $1.75 million guaranteed + bonuses + playing football.

It's just another log to throw on Beane's future funeral pyre if the team doesn't find any success in the next couple seasons.

Well, that's not going to be a popular opinion.... but I tend to agree with you on most of it.

In reality.....

All about trade offs. Is it worth foregoing your passion (and $2M) to play for the Bills? Not this team, not this year - so he realized.

Edit: but how utterly demoralizing for the team, and embarasing for the coaches/FO to have a HOF player get a taste and change his mind. He did the right thing trying to soften the blow.

Edited by harmonkillebrew

All about trade offs. Is it worth foregoing your passion (and $2M) to play for the Bills? Not this team, not this year - so he realized.

Edit: but how utterly demoralizing for the team, and embarasing for the coaches/FO to have a HOF player get a taste and change his mind. He did the right thing trying to soften the blow.

It's happened to the patriots. Sometimes they hit the field and realize it wasn't meant to be. That said, it could be more - just can't say for sure

Uhh...what? He's retiring because...Kaepernick? Or Charlottesville?

Charlottesville, although he didn't name it. "things that transpired over the last week or so"

I have much respect for Boldin. Much respect. He had a cousin killed by a LEO in Florida. As a result, he lobbied two senators to introduce a police reform bill. He has testified before Congress. All of this quietly, looking for ways to make a difference and using whatever fame he has to open doors and make more of a difference, without courting publicity or controversy.

In reality.....

You have some valid points, but I disagree with you on a couple of them.

"It's not like he wouldn't be able to do his good deeds while playing". I think to be successful at football, during the football season, requires 100%. Yeah, can maybe fit in an autograph signing or a visit to a children's hospital or lend your name to something, but nothing that requires real energy and focus and significant time. The guys who are part football and part modeling (*cough* SJ13) or part football and part track (*cough* Flash Goodwin *cough*) never make it to a high level. Time will tell, what Boldin has in mind, but if he really feels moved to go more into social activism, and he knows what it takes for him to be a contributing player, he probably does have to "pick either or not both". And I certainly respect him for not taking social activism onto the football field a la CK in controversial, but ultimately hollow gestures.

"How much worse off would humanity be if..." I don't think you should underplay the profound effect that Charlottesville has had on some people. You may not agree, but a lot of people have seen this as a moment where normally placid, politically neutral people have a bit of their ginger up saying "oh woaoa now that's just too f***ing much". And history says those are moments to seize, not to wait around for six months.

A lot of the rest of what you say I agree with - that he was wishy-washy about signing in the first place, that Bills' personnel decision to trade Watkins and the team's performance in preseason may have influenced his retirement, I think are very likely true. But they can be true, without the above being false or BS, right?

In reality.....

I fully disagree with your opinion.

jw

You have some valid points, but I disagree with you on a couple of them.

"It's not like he wouldn't be able to do his good deeds while playing". I think to be successful at football, during the football season, requires 100%. Yeah, can maybe fit in an autograph signing or a visit to a children's hospital or lend your name to something, but nothing that requires real energy and focus and significant time. The guys who are part football and part modeling (*cough* SJ13) or part football and part track (*cough* Flash Goodwin *cough*) never make it to a high level. Time will tell, what Boldin has in mind, but if he really feels moved to go more into social activism, and he knows what it takes for him to be a contributing player, he probably does have to "pick either or not both". And I certainly respect him for not taking social activism onto the football field a la CK in controversial, but ultimately hollow gestures.

"How much worse off would humanity be if..." I don't think you should underplay the profound effect that Charlottesville has had on some people. You may not agree, but a lot of people have seen this as a moment where normally placid, politically neutral people have a bit of their ginger up saying "oh woaoa now that's just too f***ing much". And history says those are moments to seize, not to wait around for six months.

A lot of the rest of what you say I agree with - that he was wishy-washy about signing in the first place, that Bills' personnel decision to trade Watkins and the team's performance in preseason may have influenced his retirement, I think are very likely true. But they can be true, without the above being false or BS, right?

It is entirely possible that Charlottesville was the final straw that broke the camel's back. I get how emotional people get over that stuff. Even so, I can't imagine it being the primary reason. In my opinion, the timing of it allowed him to use it as THE excuse when it was likely just one of multiple factors. It allowed him to bury any discussion about his situation in Buffalo because nobody is ever going to push him hard about it. (nor should they)

He knows darn well that whatever he does in the next 6 months could be done starting in January. And that measly $1.75 million he gave up could have been used in some productive way to promote his anti-racism pursuits - or used in any other way he saw fit for that matter.

I fully disagree with your opinion.

You're entitled to. Care to explain why?

Well, that's not going to be a popular opinion.... but I tend to agree with you on most of it.

No it is going to be a very popular position; sour mash is one the staples of Bills fandom now.

I think he made a mistake - he could have done more for cause by being on the field, having a sign on field and sponsors donating money per catch.

Visibility helps cause unless you are like Kap and insult people who might support you.

You're entitled to. Care to explain why?

Being sour sells more. Has been driving force since he returned to Buffalo.

I think he knew it was time to leave. His body was not going to hold up over the course of the season. He set himself up for doing something when the time came to leave the game. The time has arrived. Like a lot of us, he doesn't want to admit he's getting old and can't do things the way he use to.

Of course, less than 2 weeks ago Boldin was "all-in" here. I can see him signing with the Steelers, Raiders, Pats**, New Orleans, Falcons, etc. if for some reason they need a red-zone target later on.

That's the part that gets me. I saw an interview where he said," it may have taken me a bit to make the decision to sign here but once I commit I am all in. I am 100% committed for the year." Or something along those lines...