Greatest WR you've seen in your lifetime

major

Moss should be the answer. He was an absolute freak of nature...almost the perfect receiver. Sadly he could be childish and he let his ego get in the way far too often to be considered the best.

So it's between Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson. Would Rice have had the same success as Megatron with Stafford and associated journeymen throwing to him? I don't think so. Would Megatron have had the same success with Montana and Young throwing to him? Oh hell yes. His numbers would have been astronomical.

Answer: Calvin Johnson

You don't see Owens in that same conversation with Moss - for almost the same reasons? Their stats are nearly identical and I'd put Owens in that physical freak category too.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not a millennial. I remember - with great respect - seeing all those guys play live.

But I think Rice was better.

But I also think that it's a close race. When it comes to RBs, I think Jim Brown and OJ were the cream of the crop - head and shoulders above the rest.

When it comes to WR, though, I think it's a tougher call. There's a bunch of roughly equally great guys at the top of the list.

Before he got hurt, Sayers has to be in the conversation, and for a short stint, Bo might be the best of all..

Edited by Kemp

The best was easily Jerry Rice. The most talented is another question, but that's Randy Moss.

I agree completely. Jerry produced year in and year out. Randy had some brain cramps, whether a patch of games or even a couple of seasons. At his best Moss was an incredible combination of size, speed, and talent.

I've been around a long time and watched a lot of football over the past six decades but I have to admit that Randy Moss didn't even enter my mind when this topic was first posted. I'm not sure why. I'm definitely going to have go back and review his stats.

...man, 55 years of following the NFL leads to a long list....homegrown Chandler, Golden Wheels, Butler, Andre.......elsewhere Pearson, Moss, Holt, Freddie B, Stalworth, Swann gets honorable mention, Fins' Marks Brothers, Monk ,Steve Largent, Bambi Alworth ('til his "down 'n out" zipper problem), Irvin, Warfield...the list is endless....the BEST?...Jerry Rice......hands down....slides to 16....allegedly ran a 4.73 in the combine....hardly from a mega football factory in Mississippi Valley State.....guy was the consummate team player, playing for 20 seasons....I'd take Jerry over Randy by a slight margin.......

Don't forget, Rice was $$$ in the playoffs. Megatron, not so much. :D

...man, 55 years of following the NFL leads to a long list....homegrown Chandler, Golden Wheels, Butler, Andre.......elsewhere Pearson, Moss, Holt, Freddie B, Stalworth, Swann gets honorable mention, Fins' Marks Brothers, Monk ,Steve Largent, Bambi Alworth ('til his "down 'n out" zipper problem), Irvin, Warfield...the list is endless....the BEST?...Jerry Rice......hands down....slides to 16....allegedly ran a 4.73 in the combine....hardly from a mega football factory in Mississippi Valley State.....guy was the consummate team player, playing for 20 seasons....I'd take Jerry over Randy by a slight margin.......

I believe you're thinking of Lance Rentzel, not Alworth.

Edited by Rico

Good add. He was amazing.

Yup, and his career ended the year before Favre won 3 straight NFL MVP awards...he didn't even get to play with Favre in his prime...imagine what his stats would have looked like after those three seasons??

He was great. Took him a little longer to get going and obviously had his career cut short. Otherwise he may be a centerpiece in the GOAT conversation.

Jerry put up 1200 yrds when he was 40!!

Rice had Montana and Young throwing him the ball...Sharpe had a bunch of scrubs til Favre came along and his career ended the year prior to Favre winning 3 straight NFL MVP awards...imagine what his numbers would have looked like after those 3 years and if he had kept playing after??

I am shocked by all these people claiming to have watched football for so long and yet nobody mentions Sterling Sharpe...that dude was Rice's equal, I'm telling you...I've never seen a guy get triple covered and still be wide open like him..it was ridiculous...his career was cut short by injury and he didn't even have Favre in his prime throwing to him(he retired the year prior to Favre winning 3 straight NFL MVP's), and STILL put up ridiculous numbers...could you imagine what his numbers would have been like if he played with Favre when he was at that level for about 6 or 7 years??

Edited by matter2003

Yup, and his career ended the year before Favre won 3 straight NFL MVP awards...he didn't even get to play with Favre in his prime...imagine what his stats would have looked like after those three seasons??

Rice had Montana and Young throwing him the ball...Sharpe had a bunch of scrubs til Favre came along and his career ended the year prior to Favre winning 3 straight NFL MVP awards...imagine what his numbers would have looked like after those 3 years and if he had kept playing after??I am shocked by all these people claiming to have watched football for so long and yet nobody mentions Sterling Sharpe...that dude was Rice's equal, I'm telling you...his career was cut short by injury and he didn't even have Favre in his prime throwing to him(he retired the year prior to Favre winning 3 straight NFL MVP's), and STILL put up ridiculous numbers...could you imagine what his numbers would have been like if he played with Favre when he was at that level for about 6 or 7 years??

Because YOU DO need longevity to be the best

He was excellent and every bit a stud... but the short career does derail him in the GOAT conversation.

Having 8000 yards in 7 years in definitely great tho

Because YOU DO need longevity to be the best

He was excellent and every bit a stud... but the short career does derail him in the GOAT conversation.

Having 8000 yards in 7 years in definitely great tho

Only 2 playoff games don't help Sharpe's case either.

Only 2 playoff games don't help Sharpe's case either.

Both playoff games saw him with over 100 yards...one of them with 3 TDs including the game winner with 55 seconds left and the other a TD as well...

...agree...potential?...sure...production?...nope......neck injury did him in and he got out when he still could......shoulda...coulda...woulda....will never be a voting criteria.....

No production? His last 3 years in the NFL he AVERAGED 105 receptions, 1284 yards and 14 TDs...how many people on your list had 3 season averages like That?? This was at a time when 100 catches in a season was unheard of. I will guarantee, not more than what you can count on the fingers of one hand.

5 pro bowls and 3 first team all pros in 8 years isn't too shabby either...

Edited by matter2003

With a Bills spin, I will say that Jerry Butler could have been in the conversation if had could have remained healthy. He was amazing early in his career.

Calvin Johnson, Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice and Odell Beckham have all really impressed me. I still have reverence for Bobby Chandler and Fred Biletnikoff as consummate great-hands guys.

Both playoff games saw him with over 100 yards...one of them with 3 TDs including the game winner with 55 seconds left and the other a TD as well...

No production? His last 3 years in the NFL he AVERAGED 105 receptions, 1284 yards and 14 TDs...how many people on your list had 3 season averages like That?? This was at a time when 100 catches in a season was unheard of. I will guarantee, not more than what you can count on the fingers of one hand.

Not shabby at all, truly an outstanding player.

Someone's favorite WR? Sure.

In the conversation for GOAT WR? No, the bar for greatness was shattered and obliterated by Rice.

.........my apology....should have done a much better job stating it......career was cut short due to neck issue after 7 years...600 catches and >8,000 yds in those years which IS production.....but hard to say "greatest I've EVER seen" as compared to Rice's production.....Sterling was a beast BTW..........

Well, 3.25 in New England and one of those with cassell

In the 2 full seasons with Brady the average is 18 tds, which would've been his best season in minny.

this, he played 2.5 years with Brady.

in those 32 games he had 181 receptions, 2,757 yards and 36 TD (led the league in receiving TD both years)

Eric Moulds. Could have been one of the greatest ever with a real QB in Buffalo his whole career or elsewhere.

Megatron was def great to watch him beat double and triple man coverage non-stop. I'm not sure I've ever seen a WR covered so heavily and come down with passes the way he did.

Moss was fun but just running a straight line doesn't do it for me to pin #1, one crazy fast trick pony though.

Rice was just a animal all over the field.

1. C.Johnson

2. J.Rice

3. R. Moss

Edited by Real McCoy