Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

Let's go on record as to our feelings on the deals today. There are no bs in between answers either. It is a yes or a no. If you were the GM and had the exact same deals on the table would you have made the moves? We are not seperating them out either because they are tied together.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the undecided.

While i think they were good moves and scheme right and got picks for future.

Bills did downgrade the altheticism and explosion from the two positions.

There is no indifference here!! I'm glad to see you voted. You've had a really interesting perspective lately.

No.

Bad trades.

Sammy is going to be a superstar. With two ones and a two next year we can get the franchise QB we want without the extra two if that's what they are doing. I wouldn't mind the Darby trade if we didn't do the Sammy one. I would have taken Matthews and a 3 for Darby.

Let's go on record as to our feelings on the deals today. There are no bs in between answers either. It is a yes or a no. If you were the GM and had the exact same deals on the table would you have made the moves? We are not seperating them out either because they are tied together.

I say no.

To evaluate the Watkins trade, I think back to the baffling decision to not exercise his option. If Watkins had his 5th year on his deal, we would've gotten more for him, as we would've been trading a longer rental.

The Bills tanked Watkins' value by not exercising it. Then sold low. Idiotic. I personally thought he was an idiot as a person, but a talented idiot. He was arguably our youngest, best player. The exact player you keep in a rebuild, not sell low to the highest bidder.

Darby on the other hand is different. Still say no, but if he was not having a good camp, couldn't do much in zones, I get it. As a superb athlete 1 year removed from a great year, I still say no, but I get it.

Edited by jmc12290

I say no.

To evaluate the Watkins trade, I think back to the baffling decision to not exercise his option. If Watkins had his 5th year on his deal, we would've gotten more for him, as we would've been trading a longer rental.

The Bills tanked Watkins' value by not exercising it. Then sold low. Idiotic. I personally thought he was an idiot as a person, but a talented idiot. He was arguably our youngest, best player. The exact player you keep in a rebuild, not sell low to the highest bidder.

Darby on the other hand is different. Still say no, but if he was not having a good camp, couldn't do much in zones, I get it. As a superb athlete 1 year removed from a great year, I still say no, but I get it.

Really good stuff here JMC.

Abso-damn-lutely.

The Bills lost two capable players and brought in two capable players.....all the while adding draft picks.

Out !@#$ing standing, Pyle!

....exactly.....and who the hell knows what happens in 2018?.....Sammy is healthy and decent with Rams and Beane signs 'em as a UFA......uh oh............

Yes. The Watkins deal was particularly good. The team was moving on from him after this season and he didn't want to stay here. We got what will almost certainly be a very high 2nd round pick and a CB who showed real potential in 2014 prior to injury in return. That's stealing.

There is no indifference here!! I'm glad to see you voted. You've had a really interesting perspective lately.

The trades make football sense and fits what both have said about how they are building the team so for that i like it.

And they actually got good value for both players

Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the Watkins' trade

Would have really like the Darby trade if they kept Watkins. It might be a draw but it makes our WRs so slow.

Winner is the bar I'm going to drink away the pain of being a Bills fan. Loser, my girlfriend for having to deal with me. :)

It's about time we had some proactive management that has the stones to follow through on their vision instead of plugging and patching the roster with the last guy's junk.

Not to mention getting value for a guy that was gone after this year anyways. What a concept!

Sure, results may vary long term, but how refreshing it is to sense actual vision from OBD.

I like the thinking behind it. I would have liked a better CB. We needed a starter not a backup caliber player.

At first I was shocked. I came inside after mowing the lawn and all hell was breaking loose. Then I stopped to consider everything and Watkins wasn't going to come back and Darby didn't fit the scheme.

So I like the trades, I don't love them. If we somehow got a 1st or a starting CB I would probably be doing cartwheels right now

I say no.

That's a solid take.

Yes. INitially very pissed. Now like it. Has a lot to do with thinking Pats are a lock this year, and possibly next if Brady still plays. Build for when he is gone

Exact same initial reaction. Then looked at it as we're no better or worse off and added two good draft picks.

I say no.

Exactly what I've thought and argued in the Watkins thread.

The 5th year option makes him more valuable.

Do the Pats give up a 1st if Cook doesn't have the 5th year option? I doubt it.

Yes.

Problem is the full benefits of this deal likely won't be felt until the 2019 season, and I hate waiting. But I don't believe our chances to win this year have been seriously downgraded. This season's success will depend on the running game and the defense, same as it ever was. If we can tweak the passing game into some sort of quasi west coast offense we should be fine.

I say no.

Agree. We burned the first bridge by not taking the fifth year. Then we get rid of him for questionable value in return. If they hit home runs in the 2018 Draft I'm sure I'll feel better but right now this sucks. I'm also convinced Sammy will be a Patriot next year.

Exactly what I've thought and argued in the Watkins thread.

The 5th year option makes him more valuable.

Do the Pats give up a 1st if Cook doesn't have the 5th year option? I doubt it.

Looks bad if Beane's vision included getting the least amount back for a young promising player.

I say no.

Good points on Watkins that I had not thought of before, but I never in the world thought they would trade Sammy. So I thought not picking up the option was worth the couple $M risk.

Yes. The Watkins deal was particularly good. The team was moving on from him after this season and he didn't want to stay here. We got what will almost certainly be a very high 2nd round pick and a CB who showed real potential in 2014 prior to injury in return. That's stealing.

I didn't know that he didn't want to stay here? I hadn't read that.

Looks bad if Beane's vision included getting the least amount back for a young promising player.

He even admitted, in the Pc, that they weren't shopping him but the Rams had enquiries back in June. Things finally ramped up.

So Beane honestly thinks the best value he could get from Sammy was a 2nd round pick?

Here is my "bs in between" answer: I like them but feel we could have gotten more for SW.

I agree. I would do the Darby trade in a second. I would have asked for more for Sammy (better CB or an additional pick). That's my final answer Edited by kdiggz

yes, because they weren't making a run to the playoffs before the trade and they aren't after. And now they have 2 extra picks to use as bait to get their QB of the future.

The biggest IF in the whole thing is Sammy's health. If he stays healthy all year, he is a dynamic playmaker and much more helpful to the team than Matthews. If not, Matthews durability should help the Bills.

The think Darby and the CB we acquired are basically the same guys. So that, to me, is a wash.

The gravy in the deal is the extra picks. I love draft currency/flexibility.

Edited by Maddog69