Astro-Notes: 7-28-17 Second Practice

Beautiful day in Rochester. Grandson picked out several players by number today, as he doesn't know the names: Zay Jones, O'Leary, and Cedric O'Neal for the offense, and Ryan Davis and Marcus Sayles for the D.

We arrived right after stretching. Groy is in orbit around Wood, always the closest to him. Tyrod was throwing to Watkins, Shorts, and Zay Jones, later to Streater and Holmes, and finally to Tate and Philly Brown. . Of the five, Holmes looked the most awkward catching the ball, and Tate gained applause for his one-hander. He got another round of applause for a very nice catch in the same session.

TJ Yates threw second, throwing a deep one over the middle to Reilly, perfectly thrown over his outside shoulder as he crossed the end zone.

Tyrod threw nice crisp ones to Croom and Clay, then Saxton makes a superb hands catch away from his body, duplicating the hands catch in the same session.

Yates ended the session with the poorest throw, behind Saxton, but Saxton reached back and brought it in.

In the Positional Drills, I looked for Metz, as I was asked about him. His form is perfect. OL guys talk about sitting in your chair; Metz was doing it extremely well. He's 6-6, 265 in the program which seems light. Get the guy some wings.

Peterman's arm was questioned. I watched him put an on-the-money throw right to Clay diagonally across the field 30 yards up. For you liberal arts majors, that's a hypotenuse of 40 yards in the air, right in the spot only Clay could catch it.

In the first eleven-on-eleven drills:

• Tyrod is hurried with interior pressure from Kyle "Methusaleh" Williams, and had to hurry his throw, incomplete.
  • Yates gets it out quicker to Philly Brown, who gets some nice YAC yards --very important in the horizontal game Rico Dennison is installing.
  • Peterman gets a nice block out of Ola, who pulled quickly to be out front of Peterman.

A Punting Session quickly followed (again, lined up and firing in 30 seconds or less). SchmiddyKicker booms punts of 65, 64, 65, 50, and 61 yards. Everybody and your uncle are being used as gunners. This included Shareece Wright, Tre hite, Streater, Zay Jones, Holmes, Darby.

In the next eleven on eleven:

• McCoy dodges Lawson, but Lawson holds his hands up, saying, "I got you in the backfield, Shady". Lawson is going to be a beast, and if they double him, Kyle Williams is Pro Bowl.
  • Tyrod keeps it and moves left for a whole lot of yards, assisted by a sweet block on Hughes from Cordy. He's back.
  • Jonathan Williams doesn't get much of a hole there, this defensive line is stout vs the run.
  • Adolphus and Jerel do nice work battling inside for not much of a gain by the RB.
  • Ryan Davis makes a great play, knifing in for a sack vs TJ Yates.
  • Banyard gets low and battles through the traffic. He secured the ball better than Shady, but then again, who doesn't?
  • Peterman is protected well and hits Dez Lewis at the sideline for a big gain.
  • Peterman hands off to Tolbert, who has more success than the other RBs. He's short, experienced, and 250, which helps. He's making this team.
  • Jordan Johnson, not to be outdone, shows some nice running.
  • Peterman hands off to McCoy, who looks like he's going inside, but bounces it outside for a big gain.
  • Matt Milano INTs PEterman and runs it out to the end zone.
  • Yates hands it off to JOnathan Williams, who has more success this time.
  • Yates shows his veteran savvy. He's covered by the OLB on a bootleg, and he throws it out of bounds to live another day.

Back to Positionals. The team sends out the same first string as last night except for Patrick DiMarco. They practice TE and FB screens, a big staple of the Dennison WCO. A shout-out to Michael Ola, who secures a nice block which would have sprung O'Neal for a nice RB screen play. The team segues into 4-wide, doing bubble screens. They even used Jonathan Williams as one of the 4-wides, which is a nice wrinkle. The next wrinkle was throwing deep over the middle and on the post out of the same look.

Shout-Outs:

• For a Watkins grab before going out of bounds with 3 men covering him, making it look easy. Holmes tried the same play and made it look harder.
  • JOnathan Williams showed off his speed on a one-cut, leaving Jerel Worthy in the dust.
  • Zay JOnes had the seconds blocking for Yates when he pulled in a 15-yarder which he parlayed into a nice YAC play.
  • Groy at OC, with Voytek at LG and Seantrel at LT did some nice blocking for Yates.
  • Peterman led Rashad Ross just a little too far but it was a nice ball.
  • Cedric O'Neal is very quick and fast. Impressed me again today.
  • Yates had to cover his ear-holes as the DJ cranked it up. They're trying to make communication difficult. It's only the 2nd practice!
  • The backup RB remains to be seen, but none is really a good blocker. The FBs do nice work, though.
  • Walt Powell catches a nice deep pass down the sideline from Yates, who put it on his inside shoulder.
  • Saxton made a serious miss from Peterman. The ball was right. there. and. he. dropped it.
  • Sylve can play. He was on Towbridge immediately after he caught the ball. Perfect position. On the very next play, he adds a PBU by slapping a ball intended for Shorts.
  • Leonard Johnson duplicates Sylve's efforts by immediately tackling Zay JOnes on a pass by Tyrod. To be fair, Tyrod looked Zay down too long.
  • Sayles made a nice play to break up a pass, but Tate was wide open on the other side. Kicking myslf for not noticing the QB. Somebody only looked at one side of the field.
  • Philly Brown had a nice snatch, turn, and run on a pass by Peterman.
Edited by Astrobot

Sammy made a nasty 1 hand grab in warm up drills, 5 yard out pattern, thrown behind him with velocity, he reaches back and plucks it right of the air - I was impressed with Tre' White the last 2 days as well - not sure what Astro thinks, but he has been consistent.

Tough to gauge much without pads, but i don't think we are going to get out hussled or beat fundamentally this year. I think each game is going to be a dog fight, depth will do us in though.

im a little dissapointed that Logan Thomas insnt showing much.....

This is the athletic portion before pads go on that he should be standing out

I think you are expecting a bit much, too soon John. He made the switch last November. This is his first training camp as a TE, I'm sure he still is learning a lot.

I think you are expecting a bit much, too soon John. He made the switch last November. This is his first training camp as a TE, I'm sure he still is learning a lot.

Im not expecting number 1 guy....just athletically I think he should be kicking some can out there it feels like his just in the pack.

If a guy like Croom looks better....thats bad news.

Im not expecting number 1 guy....just athletically I think he should be kicking some can out there it feels like his just in the pack.

If a guy like Croom looks better....thats bad news.

It's day 2.

Like I said, I think you are expecting a bit much, so soon.

wow just wow Astro , we owe you big time

WE ALL DO.

Astro, does the grandson like a good taco or an honest torta?

How old is the little bugger anyways?

tiny little place near Good Smoke i want you to consider .

-E

Beautiful day in Rochester. Grandson picked out several players by number today, as he doesn't know the names: Zay Jones, O'Leary, and Cedric O'Neal for the offense, and Ryan Davis and Marcus Sayles for the D.

We arrived right after stretching. Groy is in orbit around Wood, always the closest to him. Tyrod was throwing to Watkins, Shorts, and Zay Jones, later to Streater and Holmes, and finally to Tate and Philly Brown. . Of the five, Holmes looked the most awkward catching the ball, and Tate gained applause for his one-hander. He got another round of applause for a very nice catch in the same session.

TJ Yates threw second, throwing a deep one over the middle to Reilly, perfectly thrown over his outside shoulder as he crossed the end zone.

Tyrod threw nice crisp ones to Croom and Clay, then Saxton makes a superb hands catch away from his body, duplicating the hands catch in the same session.

Yates ended the session with the poorest throw, behind Saxton, but Saxton reached back and brought it in.

In the Positional Drills, I looked for Metz, as I was asked about him. His form is perfect. OL guys talk about sitting in your chair; Metz was doing it extremely well. He's 6-6, 265 in the program which seems light. Get the guy some wings.

Peterman's arm was questioned. I watched him put an on-the-money throw right to Clay diagonally across the field 30 yards up. For you liberal arts majors, that's a hypotenuse of 40 yards in the air, right in the spot only Clay could catch it.

In the first eleven-on-eleven drills:

• Tyrod is hurried with interior pressure from Kyle "Methusaleh" Williams, and had to hurry his throw, incomplete.
  • Yates gets it out quicker to Philly Brown, who gets some nice YAC yards --very important in the horizontal game Rico Dennison is installing.
  • Peterman gets a nice block out of Ola, who pulled quickly to be out front of Peterman.

A Punting Session quickly followed (again, lined up and firing in 30 seconds or less). SchmiddyKicker booms punts of 65, 64, 65, 50, and 61 yards. Everybody and your uncle are being used as gunners. This included Shareece Wright, Tre hite, Streater, Zay Jones, Holmes, Darby.

In the next eleven on eleven:

• McCoy dodges Lawson, but Lawson holds his hands up, saying, "I got you in the backfield, Shady". Lawson is going to be a beast, and if they double him, Kyle Williams is Pro Bowl.
  • Tyrod keeps it and moves left for a whole lot of yards, assisted by a sweet block on Hughes from Cordy. He's back.
  • Jonathan Williams doesn't get much of a hole there, this defensive line is stout vs the run.
  • Adolphus and Jerel do nice work battling inside for not much of a gain by the RB.
  • Ryan Davis makes a great play, knifing in for a sack vs TJ Yates.
  • Banyard gets low and battles through the traffic. He secured the ball better than Shady, but then again, who doesn't?
  • Peterman is protected well and hits Dez Lewis at the sideline for a big gain.
  • Peterman hands off to Tolbert, who has more success than the other RBs. He's short, experienced, and 250, which helps. He's making this team.
  • Jordan Johnson, not to be outdone, shows some nice running.
  • Peterman hands off to McCoy, who looks like he's going inside, but bounces it outside for a big gain.
  • Matt Milano INTs PEterman and runs it out to the end zone.
  • Yates hands it off to JOnathan Williams, who has more success this time.
  • Yates shows his veteran savvy. He's covered by the OLB on a bootleg, and he throws it out of bounds to live another day.

Back to Positionals. The team sends out the same first string as last night except for Patrick DiMarco. They practice TE and FB screens, a big staple of the Dennison WCO. A shout-out to Michael Ola, who secures a nice block which would have sprung O'Neal for a nice RB screen play. The team segues into 4-wide, doing bubble screens. They even used Jonathan Williams as one of the 4-wides, which is a nice wrinkle. The next wrinkle was throwing deep over the middle and on the post out of the same look.

Shout-Outs:

• For a Watkins grab before going out of bounds with 3 men covering him, making it look easy. Holmes tried the same play and made it look harder.
  • JOnathan Williams showed off his speed on a one-cut, leaving Jerel Worthy in the dust.
  • Zay JOnes had the seconds blocking for Yates when he pulled in a 15-yarder which he parlayed into a nice YAC play.
  • Groy at OC, with Voytek at LG and Seantrel at LT did some nice blocking for Yates.
  • Peterman led Rashad Ross just a little too far but it was a nice ball.
  • Cedric O'Neal is very quick and fast. Impressed me again today.
  • Yates had to cover his ear-holes as the DJ cranked it up. They're trying to make communication difficult. It's only the 2nd practice!
  • The backup RB remains to be seen, but none is really a good blocker. The FBs do nice work, though.
  • Walt Powell catches a nice deep pass down the sideline from Yates, who put it on his inside shoulder.
  • Saxton made a serious miss from Peterman. The ball was right. there. and. he. dropped it.
  • Sylve can play. He was on Towbridge immediately after he caught the ball. Perfect position. On the very next play, he adds a PBU by slapping a ball intended for Shorts.
  • Leonard Johnson duplicates Sylve's efforts by immediately tackling Zay JOnes on a pass by Tyrod. To be fair, Tyrod looked Zay down too long.
  • Sayles made a nice play to break up a pass, but Tate was wide open on the other side. Kicking myslf for not noticing the QB. Somebody only looked at one side of the field.
  • Philly Brown had a nice snatch, turn, and run on a pass by Peterman.

Was it this?

FoolhardyTotalEasternglasslizard-size_re

Cheers Astro. I saw Joe B mentioned Yarbrough in his day 2 notes. You gave him some props yesterday - did he flash again?

As the biggest Shaq fan on the board even before we drafted him I really believe he is going to be big for us but behind he and Jerry the depth is a major concern. If someone like a Yarbrough could turn into a diamond in the rough that would be huge for this team.

Edited by GunnerBill