Bills get more cap space today - 6-2-17

The Bills had $11.558M in cap space prior to today. Having cut S A. Williams the Bills will now have Williams' cap savings of $4.2M added to their total, which amounts to $15.758.

That total includes the top 51 players of the 87 total currently on the roster.

More cap space is always a good thing.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills had $11.558M in cap space prior to today. Having cut S A. Williams the Bills will now have Williams' cap savings of $4.2M added to their total, which amounts to $15.758.

No excuse for not signing Barnidge now -unless the FO doesn't care for him. Also a Safety.

Throw some more incentive $ at Barnidge.

Honestly I don't think Barnidge has a chance to be a #1 TE, at this time. Maybe he is waiting for injuries to happen or to stay healthy himself.

But as it stands now I could see him starting 25% of our games cause Clay will be out or questionable. Even with Clay I can see Barnidge meeting the 40 receptions, 350-400 yds, 5 TDs.

I truly feel Barnidge may be equal too Clay. Clay is obviously better, but less dependable and never practices during the season.

Having $15.758M is a significant amount of cap space to have at this point.

The Bills need to be smart with it. It appears that they have the wherewithal to sign TE Barnidge, S Byrd, a CB, and a pass rusher if they so choose.

This and there is also a couple of veteran WR's out there if they still feel the need to address the position. The cap space is a good amount for us, all things considered.

So we could of easily afforded an extra couple of million for Mike Gillislee ! What a waste. Would be interested to know whether that was a Whaley decision or a McDermott decision.

And an absolute NO to Byrd. Suspect his foot injury might flare up again.

Edited by peterlaw

Um no to Byrd. He's been horrible for three years and held out with that fake foot injury his final year. Barnidge would be a nice addition if at a reasonable price. I think overdorff is on notice to get these contracts right moving forward.

This This This. I perceive him as a low character type of guy with that whole foot episode.

Edited by MarkyMannn

So we could of easily afforded an extra couple of million for Mike Gillislee ! What a waste. Would be interested to know whether that was a Whaley decision or a McDermott decision.

Whaley made no decisions this offseason.

Doesn't sound like we have enough cap room to get all 87 under the limit. Oh well.

does the approx 15 million (or the 12.3 million) allready account for this years draftee's pool?

Would really like to get the TE and another safety

It does as all rookie deals have been signed. Milano, Peterman, Vallejo all currently fall outside the top 51.

No excuse for not signing Barnidge now -unless the FO doesn't care for him. Also a Safety.

Free agent TE Gary Barnidge has spoken with the Broncos.
That is in addition to the Bills, who he visited, and the Jaguars. It is somewhat surprising Barnidge has not been snapped up yet, but teams likely want to see what they have during OTAs before making any decisions. Barnidge told SiriusXM he "would love to be" the No. 1 guy, but he also has "no problem" mentoring younger players. May 30 - 11:14 AM
Source: SiriusXM
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

NE overpaid for both Gillislee and Gilmore. They were good players, but not indispensible and not worth the money they got from NE.

NE overpaid for both Gillislee and Gilmore. They were good players, but not indispensible and not worth the money they got from NE.

I think the common thinking is that it hurts us more then it benefits them......which I understand.

There is going to be times this year when we are going to miss Gilmore....I have no doubt of that.....overall the change to zone and better coaching might overcome it

Mike G.? A good player for us.....people seem to dismiss that we have seemed to find an answer to that backup running back position every year....first it was Karlos Williams....then it was Mike G.......now we need another guy to step up but it is not unprecedented for that to happen

Great move by NE. They only need to get slightly better and they are in another Super Bowl

Bills need A LOT more help than those two can provide us

I think the common thinking is that it hurts us more then it benefits them......which I understand.

There is going to be times this year when we are going to miss Gilmore....I have no doubt of that.....overall the change to zone and better coaching might overcome it

Mike G.? A good player for us.....people seem to dismiss that we have seemed to find an answer to that backup running back position every year....first it was Karlos Williams....then it was Mike G.......now we need another guy to step up but it is not unprecedented for that to happen

The way I see it is that when Karlos Williams was injured, Mike Gillislee came in and showed enough times that he was a reliable back-up RB.

Last season we saw Gillislee show that he was a very good RB, but when Jonathan Williams would come in, we didn't see very much that was inspiring.

Now we have ?'s at back-up RB. Williams could turn out to be fine, or maybe O'Neal and/or Tolbert will step up.

My point is, there is a lot of uncertainty in this area. Whereas there wasn't when we had Gillislee.

The way I see it is that when Karlos Williams was injured, Mike Gillislee came in and showed enough times that he was a reliable back-up RB.

Last season we saw Gillislee show that he was a very good RB, but when Jonathan Williams would come in, we didn't see very much that was inspiring.

Now we have ?'s at back-up RB. Williams could turn out to be fine, or maybe O'Neal and/or Tolbert will step up.

My point is, there is a lot of uncertainty in this area. Whereas there wasn't when we had Gillislee.

Mike G. veteran running back in the league

Jon Williams.....rookie coming off of full year not playing due to injury?

Do we not take this into account when making this comparison?

Like I said, Williams could be just fine.

We'll have to wait and see.

The concerns are legitimate based on tape. Can we "project" on JWill? Sure. But you shouldn't expect that everyone is going to do that.

No to signing Byrd. If we wanted a safety who could not stay on the field we could have just kept Williams.

....and if I remember correctly, he wanted "out" as bad as Peters and Lynch.....burning bridges can come back and bite you in the twin cheeks.............

What does this news do to the conventional wisdom that we are in eternal camp jail and something, something, dysfunction, something, dumpster fire?

This news means little. We didn't truly gain cap space, we gained cap flexibility. We could work our cap hits down to almost nothing this year and then just carry over the money to next year just the same. We still have to account for the same dollars eventually. But we have a little more flexibility this year if we need/want it.