Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

oh SNAP lol nothing to see here~... :flirt: all rumor...ahem naww I don't think so ain't happenin'...Sammy is due for a healthy season and he aint goin' nowhere imho

Elite players like Sammy don't come along very often and considering what we gave to get him it would take one heck of an offer to pry Sammy's smiling face from my team if I'm GM.

They would have to do a Ditka...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. It makes little sense to sign Maclin in order to ease a depth concern at the position only to trade your best receiver and create a new depth problem. Sammy ain't going anywhere until after we know whether or not he's healthy and what kind of season he puts together.

From what I hear Maclin is a contingency plan if Watkins gets hurt again and they don't end up resigning him

From what I hear Maclin is a contingency plan if Watkins gets hurt again and they don't end up resigning him

I promise I'm not trying to hammer you here, but that doesn't seem to be in concert with your info that it would be a one-year deal for Maclin.

If the plan was to have him in the fold in the event that Sammy walks after this year, then he'd be getting more than 1 year, right?

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy.

Makes sense seeing they are not picking up his option. Hopefully they throw in Tie Rod. In all seriousness, I never thought this would be the season we make the playoffs, too many new faces, new structure, and playbook. Hopefully we are heading in the right direction.

I can understand taking that point of view and as a big Watkins fan I would be very disappointed to see Sammy traded.

On the other hand it would probably be wise to see how desperate a team might be for his services in my humble opinion.

I hear that but I can't imagine any team being more desperate for his services than us.

FYI Bills not interested in trading Watkins, they signed Maclin as a contingency plan if Sammy can't stay healthy again. Also aren't exactly thrilled about his constant forays to LA Fitness for pickup basketball games on a foot that has required two surgeries and has technically not been cleared as a full go.

FYI Bills not interested in trading Watkins, they signed Maclin as a contingency plan if Sammy can't stay healthy again. Also aren't exactly thrilled about his constant forays to LA Fitness for pickup basketball games on a foot that has required two surgeries and has technically not been cleared as a full go.

As I said...

I promise I'm not trying to hammer you here, but that doesn't seem to be in concert with your info that it would be a one-year deal for Maclin.

If the plan was to have him in the fold in the event that Sammy walks after this year, then he'd be getting more than 1 year, right?

Shouldnt have typed this. There were a ton of people that didnt believe you in the other thread. Its hard not to believe you with multiple photographs, last years report of the same exact thing, and the mysterious foot stepping on incident from last year. This kid if waht your saying is true is stubborn, selfish, a detriment to his rehabilitation, and not wuite the team player.

It's a poor plan then. Solves nothing long term. His next deal will be a short one. Then If he produces at his age he will want big bucks.

Doesn't seem too fit McBean's vision.

Well Marshawn helped his cause in that case and Marcell to an extent, but I agree.

No way Jason Peters should've been traded. That's what happens when the marketing guy is your GM.

I have no idea on why the hate for Watkins. He's got to prove he can stay healthy, but he's an amazing talent an already a great player when he's on the field. Trading him or letting him walk would be similar to the Jason Peters fiasco.

The hate for Watkins is simple: there's a subset of fans that believe the team gave up too much to get him, and are too invested in that idea to separate the cost from the player.

Personally, I didn't hate the trade at the time. I thought it was a lot to give up, but I understood why they did it. That has zero effect on how I view the player.

He's elite when he's on the field and given No. 1 WR targets; that's not up for debate.

If folks are of the opinion that he should prove that he can stay healthy before the team gives him a long-term deal, then that's absolutely reasonable (and I agree with it). To say that the team should simply get rid of him now is to be detached from 3 points of reality:

- He's a very good football player

- He's the only WR on the roster that the QB trusts implicitly

- His trade value is at an all-time low given his 2016 injury issues and his contract status

Well Marshawn helped his cause in that case and Marcell to an extent, but I agree.

No way Jason Peters should've been traded. That's what happens when the marketing guy is your GM.

I have no idea on why the hate for Watkins. He's got to prove he can stay healthy, but he's an amazing talent an already a great player when he's on the field. Trading him or letting him walk would be similar to the Jason Peters fiasco.

There is a difference between them - There were zero questions about Lynch & Peters dedication. Both got screwed by Bills in contract or playing roles. Sammy's issue has been immaturity (confirmed by Tyrod), but also his dedication to the team in the offseason. Playing pick up hoops on a twice surgically repaired foot, before you're medically cleared by the team, is a sure sign that he can't be 100% reliable

The hate for Watkins is simple: there's a subset of fans that believe the team gave up too much to get him, and are too invested in that idea to separate the cost from the player.

Personally, I didn't hate the trade at the time. I thought it was a lot to give up, but I understood why they did it. That has zero effect on how I view the player.

He's elite when he's on the field and given No. 1 WR targets; that's not up for debate.

If folks are of the opinion that he should prove that he can stay healthy before the team gives him a long-term deal, then that's absolutely reasonable (and I agree with it). To say that the team should simply get rid of him now is to be detached from 3 points of reality:

- He's a very good football player

- He's the only WR on the roster that the QB trusts implicitly

- His trade value is at an all-time low given his 2016 injury issues and his contract status

So you're saying that if Watkins was blowing it up and playing 16 games a season and piling up yards and TDs that he would still have a lot of people hating him because they couldn't separate the cost from the player? no. he's underperforming and he's often injured. and, because of those things, it feels like a bust because of the cost to get him.

So you're saying that if Watkins was blowing it up and playing 16 games a season and piling up yards and TDs that he would still have a lot of people hating him because they couldn't separate the cost from the player? no. he's underperforming and he's often injured. and, because of those things, it feels like a bust because of the cost to get him.

Yes, I'm saying that...although I do leave room for the possibility that people simply aren't paying attention to his performance metrics (or simply don't pay attention to context).

If it feels like a bust, then it's because they haven't made good enough use of him when he's on the field. He's played in 77% of the games that have taken place since was drafted, so it's hardly been the case that he's unavailable.

The biggest issue, as I continue to say, has been targeting him. When he's received targets even close to on part with other No. 1 WRs in this league, he's actually outperformed the field.

Yes, I'm saying that...although I do leave room for the possibility that people simply aren't paying attention to his performance metrics (or simply don't pay attention to context).

If it feels like a bust, then it's because they haven't made good enough use of him when he's on the field. He's played in 77% of the games that have taken place since was drafted, so it's hardly been the case that he's unavailable.

The biggest issue, as I continue to say, has been targeting him. When he's received targets even close to on part with other No. 1 WRs in this league, he's actually outperformed the field.

Will he ever be able to handle the amount of targets that number 1 WR's get? Will he ever practice fully week after week? Did his comments about fans change the perception of him? Is he playing hoops against the teams recommendation? So many question and very few of them can be answered. He had a nice stretch of what? 9 games? Otherwise he has been banged up one way or another and non existent in some games he suited up for.

I can't speak for anyone else but I loved Watkins in college. His attitude, actions on and off the field, and his total performance are the reason I'm down on him. Coined him "mature beyond his years" on draft day but so far he is an injured Keyshawn Johnson not a healthy Fitz.

Will he ever be able to handle the amount of targets that number 1 WR's get? Will he ever practice fully week after week? Did his comments about fans change the perception of him? Is he playing hoops against the teams recommendation? So many question and very few of them can be answered. He had a nice stretch of what? 9 games? Otherwise he has been banged up one way or another and non existent in some games he suited up for.

I can't speak for anyone else but I loved Watkins in college. His attitude, actions on and off the field, and his total performance are the reason I'm down on him. Coined him "mature beyond his years" on draft day but so far he is an injured Keyshawn Johnson not a healthy Fitz.

I agree that some of those can't be answered.

All I can say is that he was able to handle No. 1 WR targets for the final 9 games of 2015, so I would guess that yes, he can do so when he's healthy.

I don't care at all about his social media blow-up; he's a kid. I would hope, however, that he's not messing around with activities that the team docs are against.

I agree that some of those can't be answered.

All I can say is that he was able to handle No. 1 WR targets for the final 9 games of 2015, so I would guess that yes, he can do so when he's healthy.

I don't care at all about his social media blow-up; he's a kid. I would hope, however, that he's not messing around with activities that the team docs are against.

In his 9 games of getting targeted like a 1 he shined but he also wore his foot down and led to the stress fracture if we are to believe the timeline that we were given for the injury.

I believe Watkins is a tremendous talent, but there is no denying that he has had trouble staying healthy. And it is not just one type of injury as he has suffered from a bunch of different ailments. Some he has been able to play thru while others he has not. But when fully healthy, he is elite.

Beane/MC must (A) Determine whether Watkins can stay healthy. This is difficult but they will need to rely on medical opinions and talk to a variety of persons before they make an educated guess on what the future will hold and (B) Even if you believe Watkins can stay healthy, what percentage of the cap is a #1 elite wr worth. Watkins has 1 year left on his deal before he will want to be paid like a #1. If he has a very good year then the Bills may be looking at paying Watkins 16-18 million per year for a long term deal (Similar to what Beckham wants). Even the franchise tag will cost the Bills about 16m for a year. That is big $ for any wr. What the Bills decision makers will have to determine is do they want to allot that kind of $ for a wr. Or do they believe the $ should be spent elsewhere on the defensive and offensive lines. Their philosophy will determine what they decide to do.

This is not an easy decision to make. I really like Watkins as a player but trading him now may not be a bad move depending on what the return would be. Because if the Bills will be unwilling to pay him 16-18m per year they may be better off getting assets for him now rather than letting him walk and hoping for a comp. pick.

• 2 months later...

Let's keep this discussion going, knowing what we now know.

Well if I'm honest, I think they should have picked up his option or traded him before the decision expired.

Have to think Watkins with 2 years on his deal is worth more than Watkins with 1. You get elite talent on the cheap for 2 years.

Well if I'm honest, I think they should have picked up his option or traded him before the decision expired.

Have to think Watkins with 2 years on his deal is worth more than Watkins with 1. You get elite talent on the cheap for 2 years.

That seems like quite a mistake. They must not have thought they were going to trade him at the time, but you have to have that foresight right?

There is a difference between them - There were zero questions about Lynch & Peters dedication. Both got screwed by Bills in contract or playing roles. Sammy's issue has been immaturity (confirmed by Tyrod), but also his dedication to the team in the offseason. Playing pick up hoops on a twice surgically repaired foot, before you're medically cleared by the team, is a sure sign that he can't be 100% reliable

That's a pretty flippant way to use the term "immature" what exactly is OBJ then?

BarelyNY called this in early May "Now that the Bills decision to decline his option has had some time to sink in I hope people understand that this isn't some motivating tactic, it's the first step in parting ways after the season. It's a shame, but it is what it is." I also think this is what was motivating us to sign Maclin at a mid range #2 contract and let him be our number 1.

That's a pretty flippant way to use the term "immature" what exactly is OBJ then?

Ask Tyrod then, since he's the one who brought up Sammy's new found dedication and maturity.

Edited by GG