Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a trade partner first. Watkins is a frustrating case because when healthy he is a top 10 WR, but is obviously injury prone. Unless you get a high 1st rounder, I wouldn't pull the trigger. He could have a great year this year and next year we'd be arguing about whether the season was a fluke and whether we should use the franchise tag or sign him long term.

You need a trade partner first. Watkins is a frustrating case because when healthy he is a top 10 WR, but is obviously injury prone. Unless you get a high 1st rounder, I wouldn't pull the trigger. He could have a great year this year and next year we'd be arguing about whether the season was a fluke and whether we should use the franchise tag or sign him long term.

This is what I think.He is scary because he is always hurt and I doubt if that will change but he has the skills to be a great player so you don't want to lose him.

the reason was due to his foot, since the 5th year is guaranteed for Injury only. They didn't want 13 mill sitting on IR in 2018. They had said several weeks prior to deadline that they would pick it up if they felt comfortable with the medical. They fact that they ultimately didn't is ominous news on that front, though I still hold out hope for a full recovery as a fan. The chances of full recovery after a 2nd surgery are good, and there are examples of that as others have cited. The fact still remains we don't know what his unique situation is health-wise at this time. Only the team and the doctors, he and his agent, know that. The Bills decision on his option is a bad sign, however.

This is a great explanation. Thanks Yolo.

His per target production ranks with the best in the league.

But when you only catch 28 passes in a season like last year and have no impact at all that stat is worthless and cherry picked.

He is not even top 5 in his draft class at this point and people are all over this thread calling him top 5 in the league.

lol

He has been out performed by several WR's from his own class. Mike Evans, OBJ, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. All have outperformed Sammy since they were drafted together.

Edited by CaliBills92

If it nets us our franchise QB i'm all for it, Watkins is great when healthy but that foot injury is no joke, at such a young age if we could get a first for him I think we'd be foolish not to.

His foot, his groin, his labrum, his ribs, etc.

This is 100% correct. Nobody sasy we traded one first round pick for Marcel Dareus. We simply selected him with the pick we already possesed.

So in the Watkins deal we traded one first and a fourth. Not two firsts. You absolutely have to factor in the compensation you receive into the equation.

I agree. But unless it starts becoming the norm to say a team traded their first round pick to make their selection then it doesn't seem equally fair to say that we traded two first and a fourth for Sammy Watkins. Being fair would be saying we traded a first and a fourth

I would put it as we traded two firsts and a fourth for the fourth overall pick and used the fourth overall to select Sammy. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how someone says it. Everyone knows we used 3 picks to acquire Sammy and that we would have used 1 of those picks on a player anyways.

Edited by Scott7975

But when you only catch 28 passes in a season like last year and have no impact at all that stat is worthless and cherry picked.

He is not even top 5 in his draft class at this point and people are all over this thread calling him top 5 in the league.

lol

He has been out performed by several WR's from his own class. Mike Evans, OBJ, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry. All have outperformed Sammy since they were drafted together.

Then you are missing the point. Per target accounts for when he is thrown the ball. If OBJ is thrown the ball 20 times in a game he will have more catches and yards than Watkins getting it 6 times. I think that we'd all agree that Watkins needs to get the ball more. He needs to be healthy as well. You made a comment about talent vs. production. The production has been elite when he has been thrown to. Per attempt is really the only way to accurately compare players because it levels the playing field. That's what any sort of advanced stats do. That's why they are "advanced." That's not a cherry picked stat it's a fact.

This Bills will throw the ball more this year and in turn you will the passing and receiving yards go up. Does that mean that they are at it? Not necessarily, it means they've thrown it more.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Dumb if true. Billsy.

My prediction, if they trade Watkins for a pick they will use that pick for a.... WR or RB. Billsy.

Quintessential "Billsy". Buy high and sell low is how the Bills roll!

Even more Billsy: the Bills trade Watkins for a late second rounder who turns out to be a journeyman WR or RB, and Watkins goes on to have a HOF career.

We didn't trade away two first round picks and a fourth for Sammy. We traded away one first round pick in the deal. We used one to draft him.

This is always fun to see. We didn't waste a draft pick on Aaron Maybin because we used our own.

If we're tanking for a top 5 pick trading Sammy virtually guarantees that happens.

Since I'd only take a first, who might do that? I think there's only 3 teams.

Seattle. Perfect compliment to Baldwin and Graham.

Arizona. Fitz is almost done. John Brown has health issues. And JJ Nelson is not even a no.3 WR. This teams window is closing fast.

Dallas. Dez's numbers are falling off and unless you think Beasley and a 57 year old Witten are legit number 2s....I think they could be a possibility.

I'm not saying I'd do this. Merely considering what teams would actually give up a no. 1. I can't see any other team dealing. Because most would feel there's a good chance it's a top 15 pick and they won't do that for Sammy. Those 3 teams can justify it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

This is always fun to see. We didn't waste a draft pick on Aaron Maybin because we used our own.

False equivalency. Not to mention ridiculous to compare the Maybin and Watkins acquisitions.