Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

He can't stay healthy so he's pretty useless to the team.

Nothing better than blatant hyperbole that borders on insanity.

He's started over 70% of the games that have taken place since he's been in the NFL, and has over 2,500 receiving yards and 17 TDs in 2-1/2 seasons of play.

Almost identical numbers to Julio Jones through 3 NFL season.

"Useless" :lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Damaged" tag sounds true to me.

Sammy has TALENT and physical ability BUT...

It takes much more than raw talent. There have been many talented players that, once hurt, they play it safe. The HEART that they played with that made them GREAT, was lost.

We all know that Sammy has talent - THAT is NOT the question. THE question is - does he still have HEART and is he willing to play with that HEART for Buffalo.

OR will he just play it safe with catch (only if safe) and run to the sideline (so he does not get tackled).

If his heart is no longer in Buffalo - I know it sucks - but you might as well let him go.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but, Sammy has been out playing "pick-up B-Ball" and has not been cleared to practice - WTF?

It is not JUST talent. You have to have your head and heart and talent ALL on the SAME TEAM.

If B-Lo trades Sammy there is likely good reason.

He's started over 70% of the games that have taken place since he's been in the NFL, and has over 2,500 receiving yards and 17 TDs in 2-1/2 seasons of play.

So, the next three years, Sammy is going to play in 95% of his games, average 1600 yards, 7 TD's??? That should be worth 2 first round picks! We are the champions!!

What percentage of the 70% was he playing injured? - just ask'n

If we're tanking for a top 5 pick trading Sammy virtually guarantees that happens.Since I'd only take a first, who might do that? I think there's only 3 teams.Seattle. Perfect compliment to Baldwin and Graham. Arizona. Fitz is almost done. John Brown has health issues. And JJ Nelson is not even a no.3 WR. This teams window is closing fast. Dallas. Dez's numbers are falling off and unless you think Beasley and a 57 year old Witten are legit number 2s....I think they could be a possibility.I'm not saying I'd do this. Merely considering what teams would actually give up a no. 1. I can't see any other team dealing. Because most would feel there's a good chance it's a top 15 pick and they won't do that for Sammy. Those 3 teams can justify it. Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

That's the caveat with this whole thing. If his foot is toast, no one is giving up a 1st or even 2nd. If his foot is fully recoverable, the Bills aren't trading him. Imo.

So, the next three years, Sammy is going to play in 95% of his games, average 1600 yards, 7 TD's??? That should be worth 2 first round picks! We are the champions!!

Go ahead and show me where I said that...I'll wait.

On the other hand, you might instead choose to simply take for granted that I took issue with the post I took issue with and go from there.

What percentage of the 70% was he playing injured? - just ask'n

I don't think anyone can put a number on that, but what I can tell you is that during the only stretch of games where he was targeted like a No. 1 receiver (he ranked 4th in the NFL in targets in the final 9 games of 2015), he was the most productive receiver in football. We only later found out that he did it on an injured foot.

Edited by thebandit27

Go ahead and show me where I said that...I'll wait.

On the other hand, you might instead choose to simply take for granted that I took issue with the post I took issue with and go from there.

I don't think anyone can put a number on that, but what I can tell you is that during the only stretch of games where he was targeted like a No. 1 receiver (he ranked 4th in the NFL in targets in the final 9 games of 2015), he was the most productive receiver in football. We only later found out that he did it on an injured foot.

I just thought since we were drawing comparisons, it would be fair game to extrapolate. I will be very happy if his career follows Julio's fourth, fifth and sixth years. Its possible, just not with a mobile QB. The original post you referenced was spot on, not sure why there was any reason to call out "blatant hyperbole". If he's injured, he is useless.

The "Damaged" tag sounds true to me.

Sammy has TALENT and physical ability BUT...

It takes much more than raw talent. There have been many talented players that, once hurt, they play it safe. The HEART that they played with that made them GREAT, was lost.

We all know that Sammy has talent - THAT is NOT the question. THE question is - does he still have HEART and is he willing to play with that HEART for Buffalo.

OR will he just play it safe with catch (only if safe) and run to the sideline (so he does not get tackled).

If his heart is no longer in Buffalo - I know it sucks - but you might as well let him go.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but, Sammy has been out playing "pick-up B-Ball" and has not been cleared to practice - WTF?

It is not JUST talent. You have to have your head and heart and talent ALL on the SAME TEAM.

If B-Lo trades Sammy there is likely good reason.

I agree with this. If the Bills trade Sammy, it's NOT because they don't believe he can play. It's because they don't believe he will re-sign in Buffalo. Not picking up his 5th year option was surprising to me, so I'm not sure what's going on, but clearly the Bills have a plan in place. Better to trade him than get NADA for him.

I agree with this. If the Bills trade Sammy, it's NOT because they don't believe he can play. It's because they don't believe he will re-sign in Buffalo. Not picking up his 5th year option was surprising to me, so I'm not sure what's going on, but clearly the Bills have a plan in place. Better to trade him than get NADA for him.

At the end of this season they can cut ties with Sammy and Tyrod. Maybe they wanted both to mutually benefit from some extra motivation?

The option thing to me didn't make any sense but I think the motivation is the injury guarantee. My guess is they are thinking we can negotiate a long term deal or worse case scenario tag him at an extra $2M. The extra $2M was worth it to them to protect against injury. Again, that's just a guess but it is reasonable.

I just thought since we were drawing comparisons, it would be fair game to extrapolate. I will be very happy if his career follows Julio's fourth, fifth and sixth years. Its possible, just not with a mobile QB. The original post you referenced was spot on, not sure why there was any reason to call out "blatant hyperbole". If he's injured, he is useless.

No, it was not "spot on" in any sense of the phrase.

He is not "useless" in any way, shape, or form. Sammy has the 4th-most receiving yards in NFL history for a player younger than 24. To call a guy with 2,500 receiving yards and 17 TDs in 2.5 seasons (all before his 25th birthday) "useless" is blatant hyperbole at best...in reality, it's closer to an outright falsehood.

As to what can be accomplished with a mobile QB, well, that's simply incorrect. Look no further than Terrell Owens in Philadelphia. The real issue is lack of targets due to an offense that's more focused on the run game than any other in the NFL. Targets are the #1 predictor of WR productivity, and as I said: in the only stretch of games during which Watkins was targeted like a #1 receiver, he was the most productive receiver in football.

That he did it on an injured foot tells you that no, in fact, he's not useless even when he's injured.

Yeah its pretty stupid.

Customer is in line with 20 dollars to pay for his shirt and doesnt feel like waiting. Pays 20 dollars to move to the head of the line.

Customer: I only paid twenty dollars for the shirt....

More like.

Customer is in line with 20 dollars to pay for his shirt and doesnt feel like waiting. Pays 20 dollars to move to the head of the line. Gets 14 dollars back.

Customer: I paid 26 dollars for the shirt....

TBD: OMFG you paid 237 dollars for that shirt when you coulda had a better shirt, that one with the stripes (forgetting that the last one was sold before the customer was able to pull off his deal) for only 5 dollars and used the savings to buy some schwifty pants too. Your a idiot and you should lose your job and go to jail!!!!

Edited by Jauronimo

Quintessential "Billsy". Buy high and sell low is how the Bills roll!

Even more Billsy: the Bills trade Watkins for a late second rounder who turns out to be a journeyman WR or RB, and Watkins goes on to have a HOF career.

Can you name one other time the Bills have done this?

Maybe people don't understand what they mean when they say "Billsy"?

The opposite is true, if the Bills kept the player until they walked away in free agency for nothing, THAT would be Billsy.

Marshawn Lynch.

You don't have to let him walk. Not sure why this needs repeating. Its called the franchise tag.

Watkins hasn't stated he's unhappy/bored in Buffalo, and he hasn't demanded a trade (yet).

He also hasn't run anyone over (off the field).

Marshawn Lynch.

You don't have to let him walk. Not sure why this needs repeating. Its called the franchise tag.

We had a crowded backfield and he was on his second strike. Not at all the same.

Also, your premise is based on if Sammy deserves to be tagged. That's a huge if, how do you not understand that?

His option wasn't picked up for a reason. You think that reason is because they believe he'll light it up this year??

You're either smarter than the FO our talking out of your behind.

Edited by likei've

Being smarter then the Bills FO hasn't been very difficult throughout the drought. They have made numerous head scratching decisions that I've immediately questioned and proven to be right about.

I understand the reason not to pick up the option. His foot. If he proves he can stay healthy for 16 games he will have a big year and they'd be stupid not to extend or franchise him.... Despite what Watkins wants.

Letting great players walk because they don't want to be here is asinine.... And my guess is that will change when the team FINALLY starts winning.

I didn't say anything about letting him walk because he wants to leave.

i want something for him because Mr. Glass can't be counted on in the most crucial moments.

That's what you need from a guy that will command as much as Watkins will from us.

Bending to his will because of his supposed elite status is asinine.

Edited by likei've

I didn't say anything about letting him walk because he wants to leave.

i want something for him because Mr. Glass can't be counted on in the most crucial moments.

That's what you need from a guy that will command as much as Watkins will from us.

Bending to his will because of his supposed elite status is asinine.

He was awful on one foot in this game. Definitely not an impact, playmaking guy in any sense. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icjA5DfVwE4

The option thing to me didn't make any sense but I think the motivation is the injury guarantee. My guess is they are thinking we can negotiate a long term deal or worse case scenario tag him at an extra $2M. The extra $2M was worth it to them to protect against injury. Again, that's just a guess but it is reasonable.

That was what the local media is reporting, if I recall.

Being smarter then the Bills FO hasn't been very difficult throughout the drought. They have made numerous head scratching decisions that I've immediately questioned and proven to be right about.

I understand the reason not to pick up the option. His foot. If he proves he can stay healthy for 16 games he will have a big year and they'd be stupid not to extend or franchise him.... Despite what Watkins wants.

Letting great players walk because they don't want to be here is asinine.... And my guess is that will change when the team FINALLY starts winning.

We don't know if SW doesn't want to be here...but let's pretend we do...Is it smart to pay a WR top 5 $ if he does not want to play for us ?....Is it far fetched to think we wouldn't get his absolute best ? Especially if there's some guaranteed $....

We need players willing to go through brick walls on this team....players that buy in what the organisation is selling.....