Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

I am not a medical doctor, so I'd like to know why this would be the case when other athletes have had the same issue and it was rectified (usually requiring a second surgery.)

....hell, his surgeries shoulda been a slam dunk according to this (cough).....

Anatomy of the Foot and Ankle

The human foot combines mechanical complexity and structural strength. The ankle serves as foundation, shock absorber and propulsion engine. The foot can sustain enormous pressure (several tons over the course of a one-mile run) and provides flexibility and resiliency.

The foot and ankle contain:

• 26 bones (One-quarter of the bones in the human body are in the feet.);
  • 33 joints;
  • more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments (Tendons are fibrous tissues that connect muscles to bones and ligaments are fibrous tissues that connect bones to other bones.); and
  • a network of blood vessels, nerves, skin, and soft tissue.

These components work together to provide the body with support, balance, and mobility. A structural flaw or malfunction in any one part can result in the development of problems elsewhere in the body (such as back pain). Abnormalities in other parts of the body can lead to problems in the feet.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality of the situation is that Sammy's class is the 4th to have 5th year options for 1st rounders. Exactly zero players whose options weren't picked up (or weren't extended prior to needing to use the option) were with their team in their 5th season. Like it or not, agree with the team declining the option or not, this is Sammy's last season as a Bill. The new regime has made their decision. It doesn't matter if we're serious or not, the team is. It is what it is. Maximize his value to the team.

I agree that they have made up their mnd in a spiteful way although I definitely see it as extremely odd.

Picking up the option increases his trade value. It was moronic not to do so or to not trade him in time for the acquiring team to exercise their option.

I like almost everything the new guys have done but this one is completely befuddling.

...if the Bills are taking a "wait and see" look by not exercising the 5th year option, what GM that values his job would pull off a trade versus the same "wait and see" or better yet, wait until FA?....

There is ALWAYS some team or teams that think they know better. They will make the trade, it puts a few more butts in the seats etc. It always happens

I don't get this, it really reeks of biting your nose to spite your face. To read that the new front office doesn't "believe" in him is puzzling. Most people will agree that the Whaley trade was a bad one in hind sight but he is a very talented receiver on a team not blessed with a great deal of talent at his position.

He is a talented WR, but not great by any means. You MUST be consistent I.E. stay on the field and he can't. Trade him if we get a decent offer, and move forward in building this team

I agree that they have made up their mnd in a spiteful way although I definitely see it as extremely odd.

Picking up the option increases his trade value. It was moronic not to do so or to not trade him in time for the acquiring team to exercise their option.

I like almost everything the new guys have done but this one is completely befuddling.

I don't think it is spiteful. It's a new regime making a hard decision about a player who is very talented, but has not had the production his talent and draft position implies he should. Think about this: What if Sammy got a second contract from the Bills in line with what you'd expect for the 4th overall pick of the draft and someone of his talent level? Do you think we'd get good value from him for that? Honestly, I doubt we would. Would he take less than that contract for the Bills? No, that's not how it happens in the NFL. Players who don't get their second contract at that level get that lesser deal with another team.

the reason was due to his foot, since the 5th year is guaranteed for Injury only. They didn't want 13 mill sitting on IR in 2018. They had said several weeks prior to deadline that they would pick it up if they felt comfortable with the medical. They fact that they ultimately didn't is ominous news on that front, though I still hold out hope for a full recovery as a fan. The chances of full recovery after a 2nd surgery are good, and there are examples of that as others have cited. The fact still remains we don't know what his unique situation is health-wise at this time. Only the team and the doctors, he and his agent, know that. The Bills decision on his option is a bad sign, however. Edited by YoloinOhio

Hey, you asked.

I want the FO to be bold and forward thinking. Not saying trade everyone, just saying they should always be listening and if the price is right you make the move to benefit the future.

What makes trading Sammy bolder than giving him an extension right now?

You know, other than it being bold to take something so low for compensation in your scenario

Hey there is no rush on any of this... He is under contract for this season... Watch and see how he performs in training camp... If a big name WR goes down with an injury early on and they offer you a #1 pick for Watkins you seriously consider it... You can always franchise him or negotiate an extension if he has a big season... But you stay flexible...

My ENTIRE point of even entering this tired subject was because the quote cited in the OP said the Bills TRADED two first round picks. That is simply not true because you have to consider that we RECEIVED a first round pick as well. Saying we "used" two first rounders is different that saying we "traded" two first rounders. And THAT's what the quote in the OP said.

This is 100% correct. Nobody sasy we traded one first round pick for Marcel Dareus. We simply selected him with the pick we already possesed.

So in the Watkins deal we traded one first and a fourth. Not two firsts. You absolutely have to factor in the compensation you receive into the equation.

Well no not really. We still used 3 picks. Using a pick does cost you a pick. It costs you the pick you use. I know what you are saying and its just a different mindset from my own, but your mindset is that Marcel Dareus didn't cost anything. We got him for free. My mind set is Dareus cost us a first round pick.... to use a different example.

I agree. But unless it starts becoming the norm to say a team traded their first round pick to make their selection then it doesn't seem equally fair to say that we traded two first and a fourth for Sammy Watkins. Being fair would be saying we traded a first and a fourth.

This is 100% correct. Nobody sasy we traded one first round pick for Marcel Dareus. We simply selected him with the pick we already possesed.

So in the Watkins deal we traded one first and a fourth. Not two firsts. You absolutely have to factor in the compensation you receive into the equation.

I agree. But unless it starts becoming the norm to say a team traded their first round pick to make their selection then it doesn't seem equally fair to say that we traded two first and a fourth for Sammy Watkins. Being fair would be saying we traded a first and a fourth.

I can't believe we only got 1 first for pick 10 this year. Fire McDermott.

the reason was due to his foot, since the 5th year is guaranteed for Injury only. They didn't want 13 mill sitting on IR in 2018. They had said several weeks prior to deadline that they would pick it up if they felt comfortable with the medical. They fact that they ultimately didn't is ominous news on that front, though I still hold out hope for a full recovery as a fan. The chances of full recovery after a 2nd surgery are good, and there are examples of that as others have cited. The fact still remains we don't know what his unique situation is health-wise at this time. Only the team and the doctors, he and his agent, know that. The Bills decision on his option is a bad sign, however.

See this is the type of stuff I can believe. If his foot was fine, they would say "where do we sign?" for him. He is a fantastic player and yes he is great. He has just been cursed with unfortunate injuries.

I still think they should have rolled the dice and pick up the option though but they have more information than us.

When Gilmore was being properly utilized he produced at a top 10 CB level - and he did so consistently. That's pretty damn good. Watson has shown flashes of being a dominant WR, but he has not done so consistently and he sure hasn't PRODUCED at the level of a top WR. Injuries have obviously been a factor. But that's the rub with Watson. His production has not matched his talent. Gilmore's did before Rex put him on an island.

Watkins wins the properly utilized argument every time. Is there any player over the last three years that even comes close to not being utilized properly as much as Watkins?

1. Run oriented team

2. Flawed QBs throwing him the ball (EJ, Orton and Taylor).

I can't believe we only got 1 first for pick 10 this year. Fire McDermott.

Why would you expect more than 1?

You swap first and you receive an extra one the next year. That is how it always works with the exception of just moving 2 or 3 spots.

See this is the type of stuff I can believe. If his foot was fine, they would say "where do we sign?" for him. He is a fantastic player and yes he is great. He has just been cursed with unfortunate injuries.

I still think they should have rolled the dice and pick up the option though but they have more information than us.

the only one I think might know on this board is Leroi and he called him "damaged"... another bad sign for him, as much as I want to live in denial because he's my favorite player :cry: Edited by YoloinOhio

The trade tracker says #27 and a 2018 first. Weird.

we traded our pick #44 and #91 (acquired from KC in the trade of the #10th overall pick) to the Rams for #37 and #149 (which we also traded away to obtain another 2nd rounder to select Dawkins). whereby we used #37 to select Zay Jones.

Edited by Foxx

The trade tracker says #27 and a 2018 first. Weird.

And what did we start that day off with? The #10 right? So how many 1st round picks did we net? Only one. This is pretty standard. I am not mad at all that we only netted one first round pick in the deal.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Watkins wins the properly utilized argument every time. Is there any player over the last three years that even comes close to not being utilized properly as much as Watkins?

1. Run oriented team

2. Flawed QBs throwing him the ball (EJ, Orton and Taylor).

Except that we actually saw proof with Gilmore. We saw him perform at a top 10 CB level for two seasons. With Watkins it's purely based on flashes. The qualifier with Gilmore is simply putting him in the proper defense. There are multiple qualifiers with Sammy:

- needs to be in the right offense

- needs to have a quality QB

- needs to stay healthy

The first two I won't argue as they're very reasonable. But the last one is a big problem. Watkins hasn't stayed healthy even with a lesser workload so I'm not banking on him staying healthy with more targets every game. I'm not saying that it's not possible - especially if his foot is finally fixed (I don't have that info) - and I'm not saying I wouldn't have picked up his option (I would have unless his foot is still in bad shape), but I am saying that his health in your scenario is a huge "if" and that any predictions about how good he can be are dependent on that.

There have been some horrible misuses of players over the years. Mostly overpaying guys who don't fit an offense or defense or are underutilized. Mike Wallace in Miami. Great one trick pony - going deep - got paid large to be put in a timing offense with a short to intermediate range QB. Fail. Albert Haynesworth proves his worth as a penetrating 1-gap DL and gets paid a ton by Washington to eat up space as a 2-gap NT. WTF? Rex Ryan gets hired to improve an attacking top 5 defense that plays press zone and proceeds to make them a passive read and react squad with CBs on islands. The list goes on and on. Many situations have been worse than Sammy's, including Gilmore's. Heck, almost everyone on the defense the last two seasons had it worse than Sammy.

How many times has Watkins had a full week of practice in his Bills career? I don't think that is going to fly with McHardass.

I hope not honestly.

this is a salient point btw.

lack of reps with the ones and his QB are critical. especially changing up offenses

Has anybody bothered to ask Sammy what he wants to do next season ??

It's possible the Bills front Office approached Sammy's agent a week or 2 ago

and asked if he'd consider an extension to his current contract.

That's what front offices sometimes do.............try to pick up a franchise sort of guy

on the cheap after a not so great couple of seasons.

And maybe, just maybe the front office was told Sammy wanted to test the waters,

as disgruntled franchise players sometimes do after a couple of not so great years.

Just saying............

these things have been known to occur .

Nice to see another perspective on the matter