Zach Browns interveiw in Oakland sours quickly

HOUSE

Zach Brown has left the building — without a contract.

According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, a potential deal between the Oakland Raiders and this particular free-agent linebacker "looks like a no-go right now."

Brown and the Raiders may have been far apart in talks. Perhaps so far apart that Brown was offended. That's the conclusion some are drawing from a pair of tweets sent out from his account after the visit had concluded.

Caplan noted in his report that things could change between Brown and the Raiders in time, but Brown's tweets make it seem unlikely that he will be back in the Bay Area.

Brown, 27, is a former second-round pick of the Tennessee Titans. He spent his first four seasons with the Titans, then enjoyed a breakout season with the Buffalo Bills in 2016. The 6-foot-1, 248-pound middle linebacker posted the second most tackles in the NFL (149), as well as four sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception.

Inside linebacker was one of Oakland's biggest weaknesses last season, and the unit is even weaker now that both of last year's starters are no longer on the roster. Brown is the exact type of linebacker they need, it's not great for them that he left without a contract.

https://justblogbaby.com/2017/03/17/oakland-raiders-zach-brown-leaves-without-a-contract/

Edited by THE SLAMMER

Maybe the offer Doug threw out there at the beginning of FA, which is probably what he did, ends up being the best he can get and he returns? Wouldn't be mad to have Brown back in the fold, especially if the deal turns out to be yeam friendly.

Maybe the offer Doug threw out there at the beginning of FA, which is probably what he did, ends up being the best he can get and he returns? Wouldn't be mad to have Brown back in the fold, especially if the deal turns out to be yeam friendly.

Ditto.

He seems to have a very unrealistic idea about his worth. Burning bridges as he goes with his attitude via twitter. Maybe the Bills want him back at this point and maybe they don't. I doubt his "pride" will let him come back for their initial low ball at this point either. He already made his outta here post on twitter regarding the Bills. He might not be worth the trouble.

He seems to have a very unrealistic idea about his worth. Burning bridges as he goes with his attitude via twitter. Maybe the Bills want him back at this point and maybe they don't. I doubt his "pride" will let him come back for their initial low ball at this point either. He already made his outta here post on twitter regarding the Bills. He might not be worth the trouble.

The big FA money is gone. There are dozens of players that were expecting a big payday, but didn't get it. Now they have to come to terms with the lesser offers that are still out there.

Reggie is the Sam

Preston the Mike & Lorax the Will, do we really need to use big money to re-sign Zack or go draft a TRUE weak side 43 LB? I'd like to use that $$ on a SS or WR.

I bet we use Lorax more at DE than LB but he's listed as OLB on the official depth chart.

Edited by r00tabaga

There has to be something about him and his locker room behavior/attitude, etc that is rubbing teams wrong...Bills don't want him back after he played very well, Oakland doesn't want him and seemingly nobody else does either....something has to be up that hasn't got anything to do with his football ability.

This is where guys start signing the short term deals.

perhaps we get him on another 1 year deal.

There has to be something about him and his locker room behavior/attitude, etc that is rubbing teams wrong...Bills don't want him back after he played very well, Oakland doesn't want him and seemingly nobody else does either....something has to be up that hasn't got anything to do with his football ability.

That seems possible, but with all the leaks coming out of OBD prior to McDermitt I think we would have found out prior to now. Although, anything is possible.

My guess: he is just way overvaluing his market.

i agree, there must be something we dont know. and considering everything that nfl teams put up with, it must be bad

he was clearly their best all around lb, definitely had the most speed of the starters, pretty much the only guy who could reliably be asked to cover. you would think the bills would be thrilled to have him still available and would be trying to get him at their price, but with the comments here about murph talking like theres no chance that doesnt seem like theres even interest from this end

Maybe he's one of the ones who was sleeping in meetings (as Lorax mentioned)

that would certainly do it

maybe if hes still available after a few more weeks (tail btwn his legs) the bills might be able to get him at their price and under their conditions (no more sleeping in mtgs)

sure would be nice not having that one more big hole to fill

With the Dre Holmes signing, if we could sign Zach and maybe a good RT and a CB, we'd be solid heading into the draft.

1-10. Davis

2nd. Best CB or safety

3rd. Best CB or safety or maybe a Few

5th. Kelly

5th. Lb

6th. Whatever

He was one of the guys yukking it up after the second Miami loss.

Reggie is the Sam

Preston the Mike & Lorax the Will, do we really need to use big money to re-sign Zack or go draft a TRUE weak side 43 LB? I'd like to use that $$ on a SS or WR.

I bet we use Lorax more at DE than LB but he's listed as OLB on the official depth chart.

That leaves Preston Brown in the as a nickel backer. No thanks. We need a Lb with some speed. Currently too slow imo

Zach Brown's biggest payday was his rookie season when he made $1.6M in cash his second highest was last season with the Bills where he made $1.25M.

Zach's okay, but inconsistent. He had some really good games and some pretty bad ones, esp. late in the season. Toward the end of the season he was taking some really bad angles vs. the run and was a liability. I'd be okay having him back at a bargain deal....something in the neighborhood of a $2.5-$3M per year on a 1 or 2 year deal, but anything more than that I'd let him walk.

He's great depth, and an okay starter so he does provide value, but I just don't think he's worth more than that and I suspect he and his agent are probably looking for $4-$5M per. At this stage in FA, he'll be lucky if anyone is offering much more than a 1 yr. $3M deal, IMO.

That leaves Preston Brown in the as a nickel backer. No thanks. We need a Lb with some speed. Currently too slow imo

No question they need a LB for the role

Zach Brown's biggest payday was his rookie season when he made $1.6M in cash his second highest was last season with the Bills where he made $1.25M.

Zach's okay, but inconsistent. He had some really good games and some pretty bad ones, esp. late in the season. Toward the end of the season he was taking some really bad angles vs. the run and was a liability. I'd be okay having him back at a bargain deal....something in the neighborhood of a $2.5-$3M per year on a 1 or 2 year deal, but anything more than that I'd let him walk.

He's great depth, and an okay starter so he does provide value, but I just don't think he's worth more than that and I suspect he and his agent are probably looking for $4-$5M per. At this stage in FA, he'll be lucky if anyone is offering much more than a 1 yr. $3M deal, IMO.

Seems his head is bit swelled if needful Oakland let him keep on walking.

If he can humble himself and get ready to work. i would like to get him back in Buffalo

Every day that he's out there his price tag drops and this Oakland trip isn't going to help.

As long as there isn't some major issue with him that we aren't privy to, get him back on a 1 year. We could do much worse this late in the game.

Yeah the inconsistency is maddening and just reflects a lack of commitment to his craft.

I'm torn between wanting his exceptional talent back and not wanting him back because I couldn't really envision him on a Seattle-type D......100mph.....defend "every blade of grass" all the time.

Yeah the inconsistency is maddening and just reflects a lack of commitment to his craft.

I'm torn between wanting his exceptional talent back and not wanting him back because I couldn't really envision him on a Seattle-type D......100mph.....defend "every blade of grass" all the time.

On the cheap it's worth a shot though. It seems like McD is running a totally different ship than Rex did. If you're slacking on this team this year, you are going to get called out. Stick that Marine D line coach on his ass and let's go.

On the cheap it's worth a shot though. It seems like McD is running a totally different ship than Rex did. If you're slacking on this team this year, you are going to get called out. Stick that Marine D line coach on his ass and let's go.

Agree that McD appears to be running a different ship but if Zach has some character concerns, those are hard, if not impossible to change.

Agree that McD appears to be running a different ship but if Zach has some character concerns, those are hard, if not impossible to change.

I'm with you. I just think at the right number it makes sense. He's embarrassed and will be held accountable moving forward. If there was ever a chance for him to turn it around, it's that combo.

94 solo tackles 49 assists , I'm surprised no takers.

Tape don't lie. Like badol said above, he shows a lack of commitment and it's glaring on tape; jumps right out at you in fact. And as estro pointed out, his inconsistency, even when he wasn't slacking, was also evident. That's a bad combination.

Why do I get the impression that lack of commitment is the LAST thing McDermott would tolerate in a player and why do I think inconsistency isn't too far behind?