Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really realize how bad our 1st round record is until this thread. Manuel to me is the absolute worst but there are many you can make a strong case for. I didnt read the last couple pages but didn't see Phil Dokes 1977 , who was pretty invisible, mentioned.

Edited by Dante

I didn't really realize how bad our 1st round record is until this thread. Manuel to me is the absolute worst but there are many you can make a strong case for. I didnt read the last couple pages but didn't see Phil Dokes 1977 , who was pretty invisible, mentioned.

15 pages and I've learned a lot...

Mostly that this team has crippled itself. Regime to Regime. Here's to hoping McD turns this team around.

I also feel like the Buffalo Bills fan base is simply incredible. We are all still here following this team as bad got to worse. Cant wait until we make the playoffs. For once we can atleast celebrate together and get the monkey off our backs.

This is tough because we've had so many terrible picks.

I'm gonna go with Losman though for a couple of reasons.

1) If it wasn't for Losman I don't think we draft Lee Evans 13th overall, and instead trade up ahead of Pittsburgh for Big Ben.

2) Also if we weren't able to trade up for Big Ben, and didn't make the trade for Losman, we would've had our 2006 1st round pick... and guess who we could've used that pick on? Arron Rodgers.

So Losman essentially cost us either Ben Roethlisberger or Arron Rodgers.

It's pretty clear Losman was the worst pick in franchise history.

Edited by Klaista2k

This is tough because we've had so many terrible picks.

I'm gonna go with Losman though for a couple of reasons.

1) If it wasn't for Losman I don't think we draft Lee Evans 13th overall, and instead trade up ahead of Pittsburgh for Big Ben.

2) Also if we weren't able to trade up for Big Ben, and didn't make the trade for Losman, we would've had our 2006 1st round pick... and guess who we could've used that pick on? Arron Rodgers.

So Losman essentially cost us either Ben Roethlisberger or Arron Rodgers.

It's pretty clear Losman was the worst pick in franchise history.

I was going toss up between Manuel and Losman but you convinced me. I don't know how bad the pick was at the time (I read somewhere that the Bills thought Losman was the best QB in that draft) but that selection, given all the alternate scenarios that could have played out, probably set the franchise back more than any other single pick.

Actually only McKinnie was considered a can't miss........he'd been considered a possible #1 overall pick from the time the prior drafted ended.........but Donahoe got cute.

As a right tackle for a team that rarely passed the ball at Texas Mike Williams wasn't even on the radar to be picked that high until well into the postseason draft process.

That November Shout Magazine went to print with a big picture of McKinnie on the cover......I believe that was the only time they'd ever done anything like that IN SEASON........the media was all penning him in as THE pick........Donahoe was very offended that people were making the pick for him........and then he subsequently f*cked it up by NOT picking the long time quality NFL LT McKinnie.

My signature was "Draft McKinnie" in those days. I was up in Buffalo for a weekend and saw McKinnie absolutely destroy Freeney in a college game. He stomped him into the ground.

McKinnie could have been a better player. He wasn't a model citizen but he was a fine left tackle. The Bills would have had playoff appearances if they had drafted McKinnie instead of Mike Williams.

And I still think Whitner was a worse pick. Of course jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

CJ Spiller was a good football player for the Bills. This is the dumbest thread ever. And Mike Williams was a no-brainer pick, can't hold that one against the Bills. I hold Torell Troup and TJ Graham against the Bills.

Well we did pick Mike Williams over Bryant McKinney who was all pro at tackle for over a decade. Actually Walt Patulski has pretty much locked up the worst pick title. I would nominate our very first pick, quarterback Richie Lucas. We seem to have a lot of contenders.

Again dating myself, but Bills drafted Ernie Davis, and Lance Alworth was still on the board, Not sure if Kemp could have thrown that far, but 0 vs. HOF is a pretty bad first round pick...

Lamonica could have. Or was that before "the trade"?

None of this is being disputed.

Hell, Gilmore wanted out of Buffalo the moment he was drafted :lol: ...........and yet they made him play out his deal.

Can you actually not tell the difference between your own opinions and facts, or do you just think it's cool to play this role on internet forums?

1977 Phil Dokes DT from Oklahoma State

Gov Chris Christie had a better physique and was in better condition than Dokes when he came to training camp. Dom Delouise at his biggest and Rosie O'Donnel were more svelte than the porker from Oklahoma.

Edited by JohnC

Again dating myself, but Bills drafted Ernie Davis, and Lance Alworth was still on the board, Not sure if Kemp could have thrown that far, but 0 vs. HOF is a pretty bad first round pick...

Ernie Davis would have been a great pro but got sick. Would that make Carl Eller a bad pick? He never did anything for the Bills.

Can you actually not tell the difference between your own opinions and facts, or do you just think it's cool to play this role on internet forums?

Some of you are just inexplicably naive about the subject.

When Marv took over as GM he said he wanted players who wanted to be Buffalo Bills............and he soon had a stack of parole requests....Clements talked him into waiving the franchise tag...and Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee......even Takeo Spikes who was recruited by loving Bills fans all asked for and received trades.

That was blood in the water for that shark Eugene Parker.....a team that accommodating was an easy mark......which lead to the Peters and Byrd sagas......as well as Schobel quitting because he only wanted to play for a losing team if he could stay home in Texas during the week and just show up for games. :lol:

It was UTTERLY out of control........and Lynch was the last one permitted to leave.........since then, players have been forced to play out their sentence........and they know that's how it's going to be so they don't bother with the theatrics.

Edited by #BADOL

When Marv took over as GM he said he wanted players who wanted to be Buffalo Bills............and he soon had a stack of parole requests....Clements talked him into waiving the franchise tag...and Eric Moulds, Willis McGahee......even Takeo Spikes who was recruited by loving Bills fans all asked for and received trades.

That was blood in the water for that shark Eugene Parker.....a team that accommodating was an easy mark......which lead to the Peters and Byrd sagas......as well as Schobel quitting because he only wanted to play for a losing team if he could stay home in Texas during the week and just show up for games. :lol:

It was UTTERLY out of control........and Lynch was the last one permitted to leave.........since then, players have been forced to play out their sentence........and they know that's how it's going to be so they don't bother with the theatrics.

So... You're drunk?

Please continue to pass off more opinions as facts to educate the rest of us.

Don't bother with proof, you're obviously above that.

As a GM Marv was simply incompetent. He was out of his depth and he was wise enough to know it. However, many of the players that you mentioned who departed were not all the result of Marv wanting to create a loyal choir boy atmosphere. When Marv took over that was the time that Ralph imposed strangling financial restrictions that were enforced through Littman. During that period of time the Bills went back to their mom and pop operation while the rest of the league was in the modern age. There was no way that the Buffalo horse and buggy could keep pace with the race cars.

Calling Ernie Davis a bad pick is beyond my comprehension. That was also during the AFL-NFL draft wars, so you can't put anyone on the list who happened to go to the NFL.

I am not sure it was mentioned but there was a running back from Penn State that could never play due to health reasons. I still wouldn't call him a bust.

Edited by Greybeard

I didn't check every page but does anyone remember Walt Patulski?

You apparently don't. He was far from a bust. Four-year starter, who made 22-sacks (in an era when sacks were much rarer), and was thereafter traded for a second round pick that turned into Joe Devlin. Edited by mannc

EJ Manuel was by far the biggest bust in Bills history, and it's a long way to second.

nah, too recent in memory, everyone can take a shot at him

and those who angrily defended him right up to week 8 of 2016 are trying to cleanse their soles/souls.

Stating EJ Manuel is the worst just shows recency bias. That year was absolutely brutal at QB in hindsight. We were at 8, traded back to 16, got the top QB on our board and a pick that later became Kiko Alonso.

From the last 20 years:

"Obvious - not Monday morning QB - F#ck-ups"

Mike Williams at #4 when Bryant McKinnie should have been the pick.

Donte Whitner at #8 when Ngata should have been the pick

Aaron Maybin at at #11 when Orakpo should have been the pick

"Misses"
John McCargo #26

CJ Spiller at #9 - we had RB depth at the time, but some loved the pick at the time

With the draft coming up I was thinking about the number of terrible first round picks we have made in the past. A lot of the members here may eclipse my memory of this teams drafting woes as I started following the Bills during the Super Bowl years as a young lad and am sure I missed some disappointing picks in the past. That being said I'd love to know the opinions of this informed board. Here we go...

Worst 1st round pick for me: CJ Spiller

An enormous bust outside of his 1 year with Chan running the show. This was a pick we did not need to make and definitely jumped the gun when making this decision. During this time we had Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Joique Bell filter through our RB corps. Marshawn was misbehaving and shown the door, then promptly made us look like idiots when the Seahawks surprised everyone beating the Saints while Beast Mode was showered in skittles after an indestructible run. Joique Bell landed with the Lions and became their #1 RB over time, obviously not on the level of Marshawn talent wise but made a significant positive impact on their team. And Fred Jackson who essentially saved our asses when's CJ showed his inability to be a true workhorse back.

CJ Spiller was a huge disappointment and a bad pick when we had a bevy of talent with the team already.

Who's your bugaboo, your oopsies, the player picked in the first that made you throw up in your mouth a bit?

Mods, if this has been discussed then by all means close the thread.

It's not even close....it's Walt Patulski

1st overall pick in the 1972 draft and the dude played 4 years here and did very little. Yes, he was better than Aaron Maybin and some of the others, but they weren't #1 overall picks. That matters. They had their choice of any player they wanted and ended up with him. Patulski is ranked #27 on the all-time NFL bust list, FYI

Edited by matter2003

It's not even close....it's Walt Patulski

1st overall pick in the 1972 draft and the dude played 4 years here and did very little. Yes, he was better than Aaron Maybin and some of the others, but they weren't #1 overall picks. That matters. They had their choice of any player they wanted and ended up with him. Patulski is ranked #27 on the all-time NFL bust list, FYI

Wrong. Not even close to a bust.

Calling Ernie Davis a bad pick is beyond my comprehension. That was also during the AFL-NFL draft wars, so you can't put anyone on the list who happened to go to the NFL.

I am not sure it was mentioned but there was a running back from Penn State that could never play due to health reasons. I still wouldn't call him a bust.

I assume if they know anything about ED then it's a really bad attempt at humor.

But the new generation is stats driven, they tell me Namath and Bradshaw were lousy QBs because of their stats, so who knows...

As a GM Marv was simply incompetent. He was out of his depth and he was wise enough to know it. However, many of the players that you mentioned who departed were not all the result of Marv wanting to create a loyal choir boy atmosphere. When Marv took over that was the time that Ralph imposed strangling financial restrictions that were enforced through Littman. During that period of time the Bills went back to their mom and pop operation while the rest of the league was in the modern age. There was no way that the Buffalo horse and buggy could keep pace with the race cars.

Actually Marv was just naive........he believed wholeheartedly that the Patriots had won with a roster heavy with scrubs by virtue of chemistry.......he said as much and then he tried to recreate their "chemistry" by signing 15(?) scrub free agents in his first offseason.......some of them to embarrassingly overpaid deals that had the league laughing.

What he didn't know of course was that the Pats had cheated their way thru their "scrub" phase.

But Marv took the bait HARD and decided if you didn't want to be a Buffalo Bill.......you weren't part of the "team chemistry" solution........which was no doubt also based in part on an era where he had been the HC and players wanted to play for the Bills because they were a perennial SB contender, had an owner who paid his players well and a coach who ran camps like a resort.

The Bills were poorly run......no doubt.......but there was a f*cked up method to what he did.

Edited by #BADOL

Actually Marv was just naive........he believed wholeheartedly that the Patriots had won with a roster heavy with scrubs by virtue of chemistry.......he said as much and then he tried to recreate their "chemistry" by signing 15(?) scrub free agents in his first offseason.......some of them to embarrassingly overpaid deals that had the league laughing.

What he didn't know of course was that the Pats had cheated their way thru their "scrub" phase.

But Marv took the bait HARD and decided if you didn't want to be a Buffalo Bill.......you weren't part of the "team chemistry" solution........which was no doubt also based in part on an era where he had been the HC and players wanted to play for the Bills because they were a perennial SB contender, had an owner who paid his players well and a coach who ran camps like a resort.

The Bills were poorly run......no doubt.......but there was a f*cked up method to what he did.

I remember Levy saying in a press conference that the Bills would be spending "cash to cap." This was clearly another limit imposed by Mr. Wilson. This made his drafts even worse because there was no rookie cap. They paid Donte Whitner in the neighborhood of 36 million dollars 11 years ago when this was worth that much more.

Ngata would have cost a lot less and they could have traded back and drafted him or other players who were far superior to Whitner, AND got extra picks.

Once after Levy left, the team was bad in all areas and was getting slaughtered. A reporter asked Marv what he thought the problem was, and Marv said "special teams." He was serious.

Remember they were running a "smash mouth" offense with no blocking?

I am not going to badmouth Marv at his age. Let's just say that I am hard pressed to understand how he was able to coach an NFL team to 4 super bowls.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I've told the story on here before but Marv was sound asleep (literally) for hours during the pre-draft meetings. He didn't make any picks. He couldn't have had less power. Every scout in that building had more of a say than Marv. Modrak ran those drafts and John Guy FA.

CJ Spiller was a good football player for the Bills. This is the dumbest thread ever. And Mike Williams was a no-brainer pick, can't hold that one against the Bills. I hold Torell Troup and TJ Graham against the Bills.

+10

Maybin was awful AND a reach - Dick Jauron being stupid trying to save his job.

Whitner over Ngata (Jauron again, come to think of it - Ngata was too slow to play his scheme they said)

Erik Flowers/McCargo, two more reaches and a non players

Edited by BobChalmers