Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

Aaron Maybin - according to NFL.com

Career NFL statistics

Tackles: 36

Quarterback sacks: 6.0

Forced fumbles: 5

Career History

Buffalo Bills (2009–2010)

New York Jets (2011–2012)

Cincinnati Bengals (2013)* Practice Squad Only

Toronto Argonauts (2013)

This is what a "Head Case" can do to talent!

....special thanks go out to the prolific HC himself, Dopey Dickie Jauron for that pick......Mike Williams "selection" goes to Tom DonoHOLE and his egotistical ways about ALL KNOWING regarding personnel....good Lord, we have had our share of alleged " brain trusts"......SEVENTEEN years and counting.......

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many to choose from. From Reuben Can't Gant to Booker Moore to Eric Flowers to Mike Williams, the list is long. I hated the Tom Ruud pick when I was a kid.

I'm sorry..i couldn't make it past this....Rueben? Do you mean Rueben Brown? The guy was like a 8 time probowler ...if anything, he is one of the most underrated bills of all time

Edited by rowisu80

Worst player is debatable. Worst pick isn't. It's Losman. Donahoe wasn't aggressive enough in his desire for Roethlisberger. He could have and should have traded up. So he doubled down on a crap QB in Losman. Which cost us Rodgers in the next draft.

I try not to think about this too much as I believe this is how alcoholism starts.

Worst player is debatable. Worst pick isn't. It's Losman. Donahoe wasn't aggressive enough in his desire for Roethlisberger. He could have and should have traded up. So he doubled down on a crap QB in Losman. Which cost us Rodgers in the next draft.

I try not to think about this too much as I believe this is how alcoholism starts.

The aggressive part just isn't true. The Bills tried DESPERATELY to move up in that draft. They thought they had a deal with Jacksonville and the Jags pulled the plug. They were worried that they would miss out on Reggie Williams. Obviously that 2005 pick was on the table because they used it later to get JP. The Bills tried hard on that.

ME: Perry Tuttle

YOU: Who?

ME: Exactly

Two seasons in Buffalo, 16 games (4 games started) 24 receptions, 368 yards, 3 TDs

Beyond Buffalo-

Tampa Bay --- 3 games (0 games started) 0 receptions

Atlanta --------- 5 games (0 games started) 1 reception, 7 yards

End of career. Worst 1st round pick ever.

Tuttle was the 1st I fought of too. I guess we're dating ourselves.

Maybin and Flowers are runners-up though.

Cousineau has to be a popular choice. Terrible, terrible. Whatever the story was with the contract and the neglect on draft day, he was the biggest waste of a pick. Patulski, Maybin and Mike Williams, despite his concencus status, were all in the running for sure, but at least they played for the team.

Edit: I didn't know this, but I just googled who they traded him for to Cleveland and it ended up being a first rounder: Mr James Edward Kelly. Maybe not the biggest wasted pick after all....

Edited by MiltonWaddams

I'm sorry..i couldn't make it past this....Rueben? Do you mean Rueben Brown? The guy was like a 8 time probowler ...if anything, he is one of the most underrated bills of all time

Rueben Gant- come on.

I go way back, but Walt Patulski or Perry Tuttle make the top of my list.

Read the Buffalo News article about Patulski not too long ago. Interesting story. Didn't realize his first couple seasons were pretty strong. Think he had injuries. The myth of him may be stronger than the reality.

With the draft coming up I was thinking about the number of terrible first round picks we have made in the past. A lot of the members here may eclipse my memory of this teams drafting woes as I started following the Bills during the Super Bowl years as a young lad and am sure I missed some disappointing picks in the past. That being said I'd love to know the opinions of this informed board. Here we go...

Worst 1st round pick for me: CJ Spiller

An enormous bust outside of his 1 year with Chan running the show. This was a pick we did not need to make and definitely jumped the gun when making this decision. During this time we had Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Joique Bell filter through our RB corps. Marshawn was misbehaving and shown the door, then promptly made us look like idiots when the Seahawks surprised everyone beating the Saints while Beast Mode was showered in skittles after an indestructible run. Joique Bell landed with the Lions and became their #1 RB over time, obviously not on the level of Marshawn talent wise but made a significant positive impact on their team. And Fred Jackson who essentially saved our asses when's CJ showed his inability to be a true workhorse back.

CJ Spiller was a huge disappointment and a bad pick when we had a bevy of talent with the team already.

Who's your bugaboo, your oopsies, the player picked in the first that made you throw up in your mouth a bit?

Mods, if this has been discussed then by all means close the thread.

Spiller? You must be a young kid

There have been at least 6 (debatably more) first round picks since the start of the drought that were worse than CJ Spiller:

• Mike Williams
  • McGahee
  • Losman
  • McCargo
  • Maybin
  • Manuel
Good to see you posting.

Those are some bad, horrible picks no doubt, but imo Whitner deserves a spot on that list, if not the top.

I say this taking into account that the 2006 draft was just loaded with players at position of dire need for the Bills, who were essentially rebuilding. I have said this before but I repeat, I heard Levy say that he had MULTIPLE offers to trade down and not all were for just an extra 2nd round pick.

The Bills entered the 2006 draft with the #8, a second, and 2 early 3rd round picks (perhaps the 6th and 8th).

With those 4 picks (after trading to move up for McCargo)they came away with Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. In the 4th, they grabbed Ko Simpson. Yeah, a DT who sucked, 2 safeties and a corner!

This draft harmed the team for many, many years. I just hope they don't once again toss away a draft but Whaley seems inclined to do just this. :(

The aggressive part just isn't true. The Bills tried DESPERATELY to move up in that draft. They thought they had a deal with Jacksonville and the Jags pulled the plug. They were worried that they would miss out on Reggie Williams. Obviously that 2005 pick was on the table because they used it later to get JP. The Bills tried hard on that.

Yes, Donahoe almost pulled off a great trade in that draft. However, the trade was with Houston and the player they were worried about was their eventual choice Dunta Robinson. DeAngelo Hall was picked by WAS, spooking the Texans that their guy Robinson would be gone before the Bills slot. ESPN reported the move up as a done deal and that Donahoe would leapfrog the Steelers and take Ben Roethlisberger. I too chalk that one up as a stroke of bad luck as opposed to lack of effort by the Bills brass. I remember my disappointment when ESPN said the trade had been cancelled by the Texans. Donahoe should have just lived with it and kept the Bills first rounder for 2005. It could have put Aaron Rodgers in a Bills uniform.

Edited by Boatdrinks