Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ME: Perry Tuttle

YOU: Who?

ME: Exactly

Two seasons in Buffalo, 16 games (4 games started) 24 receptions, 368 yards, 3 TDs

Beyond Buffalo-

Tampa Bay --- 3 games (0 games started) 0 receptions

Atlanta --------- 5 games (0 games started) 1 reception, 7 yards

End of career. Worst 1st round pick ever.

What made the Tuttle pick even worse was that the Bills traded up to get him because they didn't want the consolation prize...WR Mike Quick!

Mike Quick was drafted by Philly with the next pick and had a pretty good career, making their Hall of Fame, smh!

Career

G

AV

Rec

Yds

Y/R

TD

The worst have to be Maybin, Tuttle, Flowers, and McCargo. Others who played but not very well include Al Cowlings, Mike Williams, Manuel, and so far, Sammie Watkins. Players who have underperformed for their draft position have to include Dareus (3rd overall, I believe, and there are a lot of guys from that draft who were picked lower who are superstars.)

Cousineau is on lists because he Montreal outbid the Bills, but he was an OK player. Not worth the overall #1.

Finally, here's a provocative choice: Jim Kelly. Recent other threads want to acclaim Tom Brady as GOAT keep referring to his championships. Well, Kelly never won even one SB, with a hugely talented roster.(I'm not really serious about Kelly so don't have a heart attack)

The worst have to be Maybin, Tuttle, Flowers, and McCargo. Others who played but not very well include Al Cowlings, Mike Williams, Manuel, and so far, Sammie Watkins. Players who have underperformed for their draft position have to include Dareus (3rd overall, I believe, and there are a lot of guys from that draft who were picked lower who are superstars.)

Cousineau is on lists because he Montreal outbid the Bills, but he was an OK player. Not worth the overall #1.

Finally, here's a provocative choice: Jim Kelly. Recent other threads want to acclaim Tom Brady as GOAT keep referring to his championships. Well, Kelly never won even one SB, with a hugely talented roster.(I'm not really serious about Kelly so don't have a heart attack)

good thing you put that in there or all hell would have broken loose.

Got to go with Maybin.

A lot of the other guys mentioned in here, were at least thought of highly in the first place, and not just by the Bills.

I'm not sure anyone else in the league would have taken Maybin where we did, whereas I think others would have made the same mistake we did, with other guys mentioned.

Sammy Watkins' career numbers through 3 seasons are nearly identical to Julio's over his first 3 seasons, and with far inferior QB play.

There's no accounting for trade value, but to say he hasn't played well is inaccurate

Sammy Watkins' career numbers through 3 seasons are nearly identical to Julio's over his first 3 seasons, and with far inferior QB play.

There's no accounting for trade value, but to say he hasn't played well is inaccurate

It's almost creepy how identical their first three years were.

You think Sammy and Dareus wouldn't GREATLY prefer to play for other teams?

Lynch was also unhappy and glad to be traded but he didn't force a trade.

We need Leroi or jw to give us some insight... However my understanding is the Bills wanted Lynch out as much as Lynch wanted out. Maybe more so.

We need Leroi or jw to give us some insight... However my understanding is the Bills wanted Lynch out as much as Lynch wanted out. Maybe more so.

Back to my original reply to someone asserting that CJ Spiller "FORCED" Lynch out.

I asserted that Lynch wanted out, Spiller did not "force" him out.

I think it was EJ. When you take a QB in the 1st round it does more for the future of your team then when taking a player at any other position. It stops you from taking another QB for the next few years and puts you in a holding pattern while you are assessing the guy you have. A QB will divide a locker room, a coaching staff and a front office. EJ cost several people their jobs and probably kept us from getting players that could have helped us. The guy would have still been there 2 or 3 rounds later and never got any better. He was outplayed by every QB on the roster, each year that he was in Buffalo and never got better. It was almost as if EJ hit his peak in week 2 of his rookie year and just continued to slide. Now he maybe the worst QB on an NFL roster.

The main reason I will say EJ is because he is a QB. When you invest a 1st round pick on a QB, especially when he is the first QB taken in the entire draft, you force him over and over. The investment is to high and the position is to important. Any other position you just move on from. Maybin stunk but we just moved on. We didn't keep giving him a job because we took him in the 1st round. With EJ, Whaley had to keep forcing him on coaches and fans. They wouldn't just move on Eventhough he showed early on that he was incompetent. I think he is the worst 1st round pick in Bills history

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't Spiller one of the most productive players in football when utilized properly. He averaged 6 yards a carry and had the 2nd most yards after contact. Peterson was first. They shouldn't have drafted him but he was much better than several of our other first round picks. Flowers and McCargo being 2.