Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

Troup could be the worst because (a) it was a huge reach for need and (2) the guy picked immediately after him, who just happened to have WNY roots and should have been the obvious choice.

Edited by mannc

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go way back, but Walt Patulski or Perry Tuttle make the top of my list.

Patulski is not even in the top 15. There was an excellent article in the News about him recently. Patulski had a pretty respectable career. He was a great athlete who was severely hampered by some of the worst coaching in the history of this franchise.

I guess that depending on your point of view, one could also make a case for a certain #1 overall from USC, a convicted felon, who some say murdered his wife, as being the worst draft choice ever... I don't care about his accomplishments on the field, nor does it matter that he wasn't convicted criminally either (although he was found legally responsible for her death and that of Mr Goldman in civil court). He wouldn't be the first murderer not to be convicted criminally. I know the OP was asking the question more so in regards to production (or lack thereof) on the gridiron but if one sincerely believes that he "got away with murder" it's kinda hard to overlook....

Good to see you posting.

Those are some bad, horrible picks no doubt, but imo Whitner deserves a spot on that list, if not the top.

I say this taking into account that the 2006 draft was just loaded with players at position of dire need for the Bills, who were essentially rebuilding. I have said this before but I repeat, I heard Levy say that he had MULTIPLE offers to trade down and not all were for just an extra 2nd round pick.

The Bills entered the 2006 draft with the #8, a second, and 2 early 3rd round picks (perhaps the 6th and 8th).

With those 4 picks (after trading to move up for McCargo)they came away with Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. In the 4th, they grabbed Ko Simpson. Yeah, a DT who sucked, 2 safeties and a corner!

This draft harmed the team for many, many years. I just hope they don't once again toss away a draft but Whaley seems inclined to do just this. :(

Ko Simpson was worth millions. If you can get a guy worth millions with a 4th rounder you do it. That's great value.

Cousineau has to be a popular choice. Terrible, terrible. Whatever the story was with the contract and the neglect on draft day, he was the biggest waste of a pick. Patulski, Maybin and Mike Williams, despite his concencus status, were all in the running for sure, but at least they played for the team.

Edit: I didn't know this, but I just googled who they traded him for to Cleveland and it ended up being a first rounder: Mr James Edward Kelly. Maybe not the biggest wasted pick after all....

There's even more to that story. The pick we used to draft Cousineau was obtained by trading OJ Simpson to San Francisco. So our 1969 1st round pick played for us until 1977, was traded in 1978 for a 1st in 1979 (and 4 other picks) when TC was drafted and then traded in 1982 for the 1983 JK pick, who of course played for us until 1996. That's pretty good mileage out that original 1969 pick.

Tuttle was the 1st I fought of too. I guess we're dating ourselves.

Maybin and Flowers are runners-up though.

Yep. We gettin' up there.

Worst pick: Maybin -- he was so bad he shouldn't have been drafted at all, talent-wise he was a camp cut. Guy simply couldn't play football unless he was lined up against 20-year old future insurance agents and high school coaches. Mike Williams may have been a disappointment but he started something like 50 games. There's no comparison between those two.

Worst decision: Losman -- they still hasn't recovered from the ramifications of that trade/pick.

I'm surprised no one mentions taking Kelly over Marino. We would've probably won a Super Bowl, right?

It's blasphemy to even suggest it, but yeah, Marino should have been the pick.

Edited by KD in CA

Guest NeckBeard

For me it's Maybin, Erik Flowers, and CJ -- in that order. Mike Williams is 4th, but only because of how it turned out -- rather than when he was picked, and at that spot, which made sense in the draft if I recall.

I think you can consider him in there because of the "caused loss".

He not only disappointed but his selection CAUSED the trade of Marshawn Lynch.

Drafting running backs in round 1 is for the birds to start with..........but Lynch was the closest thing to a HOF'er they've drafted in round 1 since Bruce Smith.

Trading Cousineau was a boon for the Bills so that pick shouldn't really be looked at so badly now.

Spiller DID NOT cause the trade of Lynch. LYNCH WANTED OUT.

LYNCH CAUSED THE TRADE OF LYNCH!