Who was the worst 1st Round Pick the Bills ever made?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly I have not seen a lot of success for the Bills. Can't shake my fanhood though. Young or not.

You are not THAT far off. Spiller was a truly idiotic selection. But you see the Levy/Jauron - Donahoe days were just so bad that there were actually picks that were worse. :(

I'm sorry..i couldn't make it past this....Rueben? Do you mean Rueben Brown? The guy was like a 8 time probowler ...if anything, he is one of the most underrated bills of all time

No, I mean Reuben Gant. Rhymes with can't. And that's not just a coincidence, either. Let's not confuse our Reubens.

I have to go with the JP Losman trade not only for what we gave up but what we fould have had. We gave up a 2005 1st, 2004 2nd and a 2004 5th. We also would been able to take Aaron Rodgers with our 1st in 05 if we had just been patient. That one move created a chain of events that put us in the drought we are in today.

Tom Cousineau

Mike Williams

Erik Flowers

Phil Dokes

Aaron Maybin

Booker Moore

Tony Hunter

Tom Rudd

John McCargo

Walt Patluski

EJ Manuel

JP Losman

CJ Spiller

Do folks really not remember that CJ Spiller had a 1,200-yard season where he averaged 6.0 YPC, and added 43 receptions for 459 yards, and scored 8 TDs?

To include him with the likes of Aaron Maybin and Tom Cousineau is sheer lunacy.

Do folks really not remember that CJ Spiller had a 1,200-yard season where he averaged 6.0 YPC, and added 43 receptions for 459 yards, and scored 8 TDs?

To include him with the likes of Aaron Maybin and Tom Cousineau is sheer lunacy.

I do and that was a great season. But, after teams figured out how to contain him that was it. Painful to watch. It's not sheer lunacy to say the guy is a bust. The topic is first rounders that are worst/busts. CJ had one good season. Is he in the top 20 for busts in the first round? Yes. Also, love your posts bandit. Edited by KollegeStudnet

I agree,

CJ may not have lived up to expectations , but was a long ways from being a bust in my humble opinion bandit

I do and that was a great season. But, after teams figured out how to contain him that was it. Painful to watch. It's not sheer lunacy to say the guy is a bust. The topic is first rounders that are busts. CJ had one good season. Is he in the top 20 for busts in the first round? Yes.

No, the topic is the worst 1st round picks that the team has ever made.

The Bills have been a franchise for nearly 60 years, so you're ostensibly classifying everyone that's in the bottom 1/3 as the "worst", and I don't exactly think that that's the crux of the discussion.

Moreover, does a guy with one very good season belong in the bottom 20?

I think you can consider him in there because of the "caused loss".

He not only disappointed but his selection CAUSED the trade of Marshawn Lynch.

Drafting running backs in round 1 is for the birds to start with..........but Lynch was the closest thing to a HOF'er they've drafted in round 1 since Bruce Smith.

Trading Cousineau was a boon for the Bills so that pick shouldn't really be looked at so badly now.

...tough call but Patulski as 1st overall deserves some "merit".............

Patulski was a beast in college. I would bet half the teams in the league, if they had the first pick in the draft would have picked him. It wasn't the most productive draft overall. Look at the list of Heisman candidate and how many had good careers. We should have picked one of these guys for QB at the time. B-)

1stPat Sullivan, Auburn, Sr., QB, 1,597 Points

2ndEd Marinaro, Cornell, Sr., RB, 1,445 Points

3rdGreg Pruitt, Oklahoma, Jr., RB, 586 Points

4thJohnny Musso, Alabama, Sr., RB, 365 Points

5thLydell Mitchell, Penn State, Sr., RB, 251 Points

6thJack Mildren, Oklahoma, Sr., QB, 208 Points

7thJerry Tagge, Nebraska, Sr., QB, 168 Points

8thChuck Ealey, Toledo, Sr., QB, 137 Points

9thWalt Patulski, Notre Dame, Sr., DE, 121 Points

10thEric Allen, Michigan State, Sr., RB, 109 Points

Edited by Greybeard

So many choices. Losman was bad and a reach but at least sought after at the time, Manuel was bad but at least we traded down and got Alonso who turned into McCoy before picking him.

Ive heard things about Tuttle, Patuski and Moore but that was before my time. Flowers was a bust and Mike Williams was a waste of a top 5 pick. McCargo, Troup and Hardy are honorable mentions but.....

My choice, Aaron Maybin. Worst and most frustrating in my memory. As bad as the others that I listed were, Maybin may have done even less than any of them. Had he been picked in the 6th or 7th round, you could have argued that he was still a bust. Even more frustrating was the fact that there was a clear chance to pick much better players projected higher when it came time for the Bills to pick.

Edited by dgrochester55

No, the topic is the worst 1st round picks that the team has ever made.

The Bills have been a franchise for nearly 60 years, so you're ostensibly classifying everyone that's in the bottom 1/3 as the "worst", and I don't exactly think that that's the crux of the discussion.

Moreover, does a guy with one very good season belong in the bottom 20?

I'll look into it more later and break down the 60. CJ being in the bottom 20, I would consider--in my lifetime. Being a young guy and witnessing his pro career, it's a hard pill to swallow to see a top 10 pick, have one good season and then bounce around the league not panning out.

Edited by KollegeStudnet