Ryan Groy Signed to an Offer Sheet by Rams

Sorry, I forgot this board was strictly for praising everything the Bills front office has accomplished over the last 17 years.

There's no shortage of criticism when OBD makes a bad move. The Groy tender doesn't appear to be one, especially since the offer sheet is lower than the tender amount.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Option 1.

Please don't change my words.

No one was offering a second for him. Never. Was not going to happen.

Have you considered the other side of the negotiating table that Groy's agent didn't want to accept Bills long term offer until they saw what the market offers? That's why the Bills protected themselves with the tender and guessing that he wouldn't get a blow out offer. They guessed right. The Rams offer isn't a big deal to match, and now Bills have a bigger decision to make about Wood than they do about Groy.

Not if you think he's your starter. You offer him better than the tender in that case. You work out a better all around deal..... I mean if you think he's THAT important to your success.

He's not the starter... he's the backup Center, 6th OL in heavy formations, and a backup guard. We now have another backup guard, and another backup center. With a new coach i don't know how much we'll use a 6th OL, but between lewis, kouandjo, and ducasse we have options.

I'm not even sure i match the offer sheet at this point.

Edited by dneveu

Not if you think he's your starter. You offer him better than the tender in that case. You work out a better all around deal..... I mean if you think he's THAT important to your success.

Don't understand why people are questioning this. It looks like Bills were spot on Groy's market value and now have an option to match a low starter/high back up contract. With three centers on the roster they have options

He's not the starter... he's the backup Center, 6th OL in heavy formations, and a backup guard. We now have another backup guard, and another backup center. With a new coach i don't know how much we'll use a 6th OL, but between lewis, kouandjo, and ducasse we have options.

When people suggest releasing Wood and plugging in Groy what does that mean? Follow the conversation.

Watch the tape of that game. He more than held his own in passing downs against the very good Jets interior DLs

I'm going more off of seeing him in camp and seeing him in each game from his entry in the Seattle game. He is NOT a good pass protector without help. With that said I'd like to see the Bills match the Ram offer. He's a decent player and with TT at the helm, is a good option for backup center.

draft Eric Pocic (LSU). Played Guard and Center I believe. Problem solved.

Here are some other names:

http://www.si.com/2017-nfl-draft-rankings-centers

Pocic is tall at 6'6" and might be considered too tall to play on the interior, especially at Center you want a guy with a low center of gravity so DTs can't dip underneath them/bull rush easily.

Don't understand why people are questioning this. It looks like Bills were spot on Groy's market value and now have an option to match a low starter/high back up contract. With three centers on the roster they have options

You must criticize Whaley on days the sun rises in the East. Get with the program.

There's no shortage of criticism when OBD makes a bad move. The Groy tender doesn't appear to be one, especially since the offer sheet is lower than the tender amount.

That last point is indeed fortunate. Hope we match the offer even if it means over paying a backup for one year.

@mikerodak: The Rams have agreed to extend Bills restricted FA center Ryan Groy a two-year offer sheet, per @caplannfl & me. Bills have 5 days to match

@mikerodak: Ryan Groy would reunite with Aaron Kromer with Rams and likely start at center. Expect $$ from Rams offer to match that situation.

Sounds like they'll have to choose between him or Eric Wood. And i'm sure they'll keep Wood. But it's definitely worth a discussion. It's probably too steep to keep them both if the Rams offer is starting Center money.

Hmmm....I wonder what the Patriots would do in this situation? Jettison Wood and his contract as he hits the downside of his career and sign Groy, saving lots of cap space and sewing up that hole in the roster for the next 4-5 years or stick with Wood and his high salary only to have to find a replacement for him in a year or two?

Edited by Mickey

Hmmm....I wonder what the Patriots would do in this situation? Jettison Wood and his contract as he hits the downside of his career and sign Groy, saving lots of cap space and sowing up that hole in the roster for the next 4-5 years or stick with Wood and his high salary only to have to find a replacement for him in a year or two?

The problem with that would be Wood's dead cap hit this year. Hopefully they can unload that contract on someone, but they should match Groy's offer either way.

I apologize if I took this the wrong way. I shouldn't have jumped on you for it.

That last point is indeed fortunate. Hope we match the offer even if it means over paying a backup for one year.

He was signed on the cheap for TWO years as opposed to one. There was zero chance of anyone ever signing him with a 2nd rd tender on him. Zero chance. If no one offered him, we would've had him for 1 year. No one would've offered if he had a 2nd rd tender. Meaning we'd have him for one year. Because we didn't tender him, the rams offered him an easy contract to match at a low price tag and for TWO years, not just one.

Not sure what you don't understand. We never had a chance to get a 2nd rd pick. We can now have him for 2 years instead of one.

Edited by NewEra

So you wanted to potentially spend more money on hi and now all the sudden you are saying the cheaper option is overpaying. Man you are pathetically sad.

He was signed on the cheap for TWO years as opposed to one. There was zero chance of anyone ever signing him with a 2nd rd tender on him. Zero chance. If no one offered him, we would've had him for 1 year. No one would've offered if he had a 2nd rd tender. Meaning we'd have him for one year. Because we didn't tender him, the rams offered him an easy contract to match at a low price tag and for TWO years, not just one.

Not sure what you don't understand. We never had a chance to get a 2nd rd pick. We can now have him for 2 years instead of one.

Yeah, no one was offering a 2nd rounder for Groy. And he would have gotten paid $246K more (if he had been tendered at the 2nd round level) and likely would have been gone after the season if he played well again.

why the !@#$ would you cut Wood? Why are people saying stupid things!?!

cause apparently your team gets better when you cut your long time all pro players who are still playing at a high level who also provide strong veteran leadership.

why the !@#$ would you cut Wood? Why are people saying stupid things!?!

because having depth on the O-Line is a bad thing.

cause apparently your team gets better when you cut your long time all pro players who are still playing at a high level who also provide strong veteran leadership.

that too

Hmmm....I wonder what the Patriots would do in this situation? Jettison Wood and his contract as he hits the downside of his career and sign Groy, saving lots of cap space and sowing up that hole in the roster for the next 4-5 years or stick with Wood and his high salary only to have to find a replacement for him in a year or two?

Well, with the exception of Aaron Hernandez certainly sowing some wild oats I don't think those kitties over in New England do the sowing. They are more likely the sowee.

Exactly. No team makes an offer on him with a 2nd round tender.

I mean, don't count the Rams out when it comes to making poor choices.

Different teams are in different situations. What would be a poor decision on a player for one team might be a good decision for another team. A mid-tier free agent player departing a team where he was a backup might be an excellent pickup to be a starter on another team. Teams have different cap situations and different roster balancing requirements.

So they give Jordan "The Turnstile" Mills a 2 year $4 mil deal but would not even offer Groy $800k???? I do not get it at all Groy played well and is so versatile. Solid add for Anthony Lynn, I wish him nothing but the best!

Lynn is with the Chargers, not Rams

Yeah, no one was offering a 2nd rounder for Groy. And he would have gotten paid $246K more (if he had been tendered at the 2nd round level) and likely would have been gone after the season if he played well again.

Or we could've just signed him to a multi year deal post-tender with a structure that incentives the signing from his end (more signing bonus instead of waiting for salary)

I'll say my initial reaction wasn't warranted having gone off the "rams intend to pay him like a starter" tweet. I imagined it to be a higher number than discussed here.

So they give Jordan "The Turnstile" Mills a 2 year $4 mil deal but would not even offer Groy $800k???? I do not get it at all Groy played well and is so versatile. Solid add for Anthony Lynn, I wish him nothing but the best!

Lynn is with the Chargers, not Rams

Also, $800k has nothing to do with it, and he isnt a Ram yet. We still have 5 days to simply match the offer and he's still ours.