Ryan Groy Signed to an Offer Sheet by Rams

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not about the 800K more we would have to pay, it is about the 2nd round pick they would have to give us in addition to whatever money they gave him. While I liked his performance, I would not give up a 2nd round draft pick for him.

And that's it right there.

With the higher tender, no one is going to bother to try to present an offer. So we end up having to negotiate with him, and his camp knows we must really like him since we put a 2nd round tender on him.

This way, the Rams just did the work for the Bills FO while we were focusing on other parts. Now the Bills FO just needs to step up, copy and paste the Rams offer, and the deal is done. Easy peasy.

Let it play out. Whaley got rid of Fred when he was done. He may do the same with Wood

Fred was a the oldest RB in the NFL at the time. Groy turns 27 in September and is heading into his 4th NFL season. Clearly different situations.

When you leave your roster thin and need bodies, you open yourself up to other teams signing some of the guys you'd like to keep. A similar thing happened last season when NE took Hogan on a contract the Bills couldn't match.

No one knew much about Groy until he was forced into action, now Whaley's dumb if he doesn't match. Maybe there's a reason they kept Lewis...

here's what I don't know because I really haven't gone and watched the tape, but even though he seemed to perform well; what did the oline scheme wise do different with Groy in? Did they pull him like they would with woods? Did he make the appropriate line blocking calls? Did he cause sacks and pressures because of his mental component ? Did he single block NTs like good centers need to or did they help him?

These are all things the coaching staff will know. If they don't match Groy, then I suspect that although he didn't have any glaring mistakes, that he is not in the same league as woods

Edited by rowisu80

With the higher tender, no one is going to bother to try to present an offer. So we end up having to negotiate with him, and his camp knows we must really like him since we put a 2nd round tender on him.

This way, the Rams just did the work for the Bills FO while we were focusing on other parts. Now the Bills FO just needs to step up, copy and paste the Rams offer, and the deal is done. Easy peasy.

I hate to go off topic, but is there any specific reason you left "lemon squeezy" out?

Only the Bills could uncover a gem then lose him in less then 6 months

this should be a replacement for Erick Woods but noooooooooo.

Whaley has his head up his ass

or maybe if they want him now they can get him for two years pretty cheap. Looks like whaley is actually pretty smart

Yup, I was going to say the same thing. It's a good way to gauge a players value. The contract value that the Rams offered($1.5 this year) is actually cheaper than the tender value($1.79m) and there was no reason to use the 2nd round tender. Absolute no brainer for the Bills to match. Thank you Rams.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It's clear the Rams don't view him as a shoe in to start either, so not sure why people are suggesting we start him over Wood. That's FAR from starter money. And that's with Kromer who he's played for twice - he would know.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills should cut Wood and sign Groy.

There was no drop off in play on the OL after Wood got hurt and Groy can be had at a fraction of the cost it will take to keep Wood.

We have the cap room for both; keep both.

Let Wood walk when his deal expires next offseason

Right.

And they get their likely starting C under contract for 2018 for $3.5M, which gives them plenty of time to decide if he's worthy of an extension.

I actually don't think it could have worked out any better for the Bills/Whaley. It did exactly what they wanted, got Groy on a cheap longish deal.

Seems like re-signing Groy at the Rams tender is a no brainer as he could be our starter once the contract on Wood expires, and another year as his backup could be beneficial.

Does anyone know if either Groy or Lewis can be the long snapper since Sanborn was released ? ... That could also figure into the Bills decision.

Seems like re-signing Groy at the Rams tender is a no brainer as he could be our starter once the contract on Wood expires, and another year as his backup could be beneficial.

Does anyone know if either Groy or Lewis can be the long snapper since Sanborn was released ? ... That could also figure into the Bills decision.

I'd think so too, but I guess it's how much the Bills like him...

Groy can do it in an emergency, but Reid Ferguson will probably be the new LS

Also, I believe Nick O'Leary has done some long-snapping in the past, so he could also be an emergency guy in a pinch

Edited by thebandit27

Groy can do it in an emergency, but Reid Ferguson will probably be the new LS

Also, I believe Nick O'Leary has done some long-snapping in the past, so he could also be an emergency guy in a pinch

Groy did it at the Shrine Game a few years ago. Jeff Risdon liked him doing it so consider me sold.

We need to bring back Lee Smith as the full-time LS though. Would be hilarious watching him cover punts :D

But if we match it we'll be giving up a 9th round comp pick in the year 3179.

LOL, well played :lol:

Fred was a the oldest RB in the NFL at the time. Groy turns 27 in September and is heading into his 4th NFL season. Clearly different situations.

When you leave your roster thin and need bodies, you open yourself up to other teams signing some of the guys you'd like to keep. A similar thing happened last season when NE took Hogan on a contract the Bills couldn't match.

He didnt compare Fred and Groy. He compared Fred and Eric Wood.

Only the Bills could uncover a gem then lose him in less then 6 months

this should be a replacement for Erick Woods but noooooooooo.

Whaley has his head up his ass

You dont get how this stuff works, do you?

I hate to go off topic, but is there any specific reason you left "lemon squeezy" out?

Look, I'm more of a big picture/ideas guy. I leave the actual squeezing of lemons to Whales and Overdorf. :thumbsup:

Dont know why we wouldnt match and cut patrick lewis. Unless they really like lewis better, which is possible as he was pretty much hurt all year.

i was wondering about Lewis too. I think I saw that he would save 1.5 on the cap if cut. And I believe only plays C. Maybe they were just waiting to see what happened with Groy.