Watch Rex really close. I think he has been already told.

Iraq Vet

I am not a mind reader but, I think it is over. Watching Rex... I think he has been told he will not be kept on. He was asked to maintain a good face for the good of the team. Or he was probably given the option to play out the year or leave now. He is a betting man, he is betting on himself with a small win streak.

Rex being Rex probably agreed. He is not spiteful or a nasty guy. He wants to keep up the loyalty image so he can get hired fast as a Coordinator somewhere.

Thoughts....

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I have climbed down from the height of my anger a couple weeks back. I still think this franchise should break from the past as drastically as the Sabers did, but only when they are prepared to do so thoroughly. Personally I'd like anyone over 2-3 years with the org to go and start a new era (no pun intended). However, in the world of reality staying the course and giving continuity a chance, I can see me getting behind the team next year if they are able to take a low profile, workman like, and have Rex keep his mouth shut during the off season- while they get healthy. However, to have a playoff shot, they will need Whaley to really show his worth and have his best draft and free agency to date, without hitting the injury bug (Rex's job)... OK that is a lot to ask.

Until the Pegulas clean house in the front office and get rid of all the rotten apples, the HC decision is nothing more than window dressing.

Nailed it. Anything short of a full on cleaning is just prolonging the misery. OBD needs to be cleaned, a simple squirt of cologne is what I expect though and on we go.

Until the Pegulas clean house in the front office and get rid of all the rotten apples, the HC decision is nothing more than window dressing.

Spot on man, if they're going to fire Rex then they better fire Whaley and remove Russ from anything thing personnel/coaching related. Otherwise you might as well just keep Rex.

Mike and Mike on ESPN they had Adam Schefter on. They debated the potential firing of Rex and it was panned. Golic pointed out the guy is in year two and to fire him is bad. This is what bad franchises do. The topic of who in the organization that is planting seeds in the media about the potential firing was addressed. That person is self serving. Wonder who benefits most from Rex being fired? Last that if they do go 9-7 and fire Rex it means friction behind the scenes. The opinion is that Whaley and Rex are at odds on philosophy. The drama continues on One Bills Drive.

I think he knows he is done (without being told). The ONLY thing that could possibly keep him here is if the Bills squeak into the Playoffs. It would then be nearly impossible to fire him.

He is staying the pegula's believe in him

I think it'd be pretty funny if they told him he was fired, and then by some miracle we get to the playoffs. Then they give him a mandate that he's definitely coming back.... then we get blown out by like 40 wildcard weekend. Total bills move.

I'd take it.

It makes no sense for the Pegula's to inform Rex ahead of time he is being fired. Regardless of rumors floating around. Now Rex may have an idea that he is going to be let go after the season but I doubt anyone has informed him of such.

The time to fire Rex was after the loss to Pittsburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills ran the table and get to 9-7. We are the king of the meaningless garbage wins. I don't see how you can fire a coach with a winning record. If team loses 1 of the next 2 good chance he is out. However. if team finishes 9-7 I have a hard time believing this coaching staff is getting fired.

Mike and Mike on ESPN they had Adam Schefter on. They debated the potential firing of Rex and it was panned. Golic pointed out the guy is in year two and to fire him is bad. This is what bad franchises do. The topic of who in the organization that is planting seeds in the media about the potential firing was addressed. That person is self serving. Wonder who benefits most from Rex being fired? Last that if they do go 9-7 and fire Rex it means friction behind the scenes. The opinion is that Whaley and Rex are at odds on philosophy. The drama continues on One Bills Drive.

Golic is 100% correct.

Not only is not the right thing to fire Rex (as it relates to Rex), it makes the organization and ownership look really, really bad.

As I have stated elsewhere, I seriously doubt that any good HC candidate who is in demand would look at the Bills HC job favorably if the Bills gave the current guy just two years especially given the depth of injuries, suspensions, and inadequate QB play.

This would be self-defeating.

It makes no sense for the Pegula's to inform Rex ahead of time he is being fired. Regardless of rumors floating around. Now Rex may have an idea that he is going to be let go after the season but I doubt anyone has informed him of such.

The time to fire Rex was after the loss to Pittsburgh. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills ran the table and get to 9-7. We are the king of the meaningless garbage wins. I don't see how you can fire a coach with a winning record. If team loses 1 of the next 2 good chance he is out. However. if team finishes 9-7 I have a hard time believing this coaching staff is getting fired.

The Rex Haters are in full force desperately trying to justify in advance why it is a good idea to fire the Bills' most successful HC in 17 years.

This is my baseless opinion..

-Rex and Whaley will both be back in 2017 with assurances for their remaining contract terms

-Tyrod renegotiates his contract -- still collects about $15 million next year but its essentially another tryout year

-Brandon's role is strictly redefined to marketing, sales, branding for the sports and media properties of the Pegula empire

-Mark Murphy comes back to WNY to oversee the operations - on the field/ice products of the Bills and Sabres--both coaching and football/hockey personnel report to him. His decision to chart the future of the on field product for both franchises. Title is President of Bills and Sabres. Enticement is Hockey team.

- Gilmore is a priority; A. Williams retires.

-Rex and Whaley will both be back in 2017 with assurances for their remaining contract terms

-Tyrod renegotiates his contract -- still collects about $15 million next year but its essentially another tryout year

-Brandon's role is strictly redefined to marketing, sales, branding for the sports and media properties of the Pegula empire

-Mark Murphy comes back to WNY to oversee the operations - on the field/ice products of the Bills and Sabres--both coaching and football/hockey personnel report to him. His decision to chart the future of the on field product for both franchises. Title is President of Bills and Sabres. Enticement is Hockey team.

Interesting take.

The Rex Haters are in full force desperately trying to justify in advance why it is a good idea to fire the Bills' most successful HC in 17 years.

I don't think you have a lot of ground to stand on about folks being "in full force," when you've posted the same tired Rex defense at least 10 different times in the last couple days.

Rex was a bad hire...I was disalusioned day one. His ego gets in the way and his bs is offensive to me. Having said that, he does get some things....he picked TT over EJ......and, I think Rex is correct about TT....TT will be a good, if not great, QB in this league. But, Rex is biased......to many old NY JEts picked up.....just becasue they know the intricate Ryan D......not the best players. And, to many Clemson comments as well...OK, his son goes there....but if Shaq fails to be NFL caliber player, thats on Ryan....anyhow......I won't miss him if he goes. I just can't stand going thru another decade.....of rookie ownership stumbling around. I have decided to let my season ticket participation go after more than three decades....can't stand the side show anymore.

I think that most of this would be good for the franchise.

It's been a tough season on everyone involved, from the Pegulas to we the fans.

We need to show patience. The 2 people who are ponying up the $ are...

If they fire Rex after 9-7, that means the decision was inevitable and unanimous. What friction?

Golic is 100% correct.

Not only is not the right thing to fire Rex (as it relates to Rex), it makes the organization and ownership look really, really bad.

As I have stated elsewhere, I seriously doubt that any good HC candidate who is in demand would look at the Bills HC job favorably if the Bills gave the current guy just two years especially given the depth of injuries, suspensions, and inadequate QB play.

So you are saying that there is not one good candidate who would look at a team, in your words, hampered only by the plain bad luck of "injuries, suspensions and inadequate QB play" and say: "that team is close, and I could do something with that team". Not one?

The BROWNS, lead by known crook and football idiot Jimmy Haslam, got their man this past off-season, no problem. In fact, they got him to cancel his interview for a shoe-in job with the Giants!

Yeah, that makes sense.

Big test coming up for Rex. Can our D stop Jay Ajayi and the Dolphins run game. Last time was embarrassing. If Rex can't make our D work against the Dolphins then we need a new Head Coach / Co-ordinator that can stop the run.

I think it's like the news in general today. Someone makes things up, just to stir the pot. It wouldn't surprise me if Kraft had one of his cronies putting out false information. I find it interesting that now, they are implying that it is Whaley doing it. Nothing kills a team quicker than this ****, and it started fairly early in the season.

Didn't this happen a few years back, Maybe Dick J or someone was given the option, and he did leave?

Or he was probably given the option to play out the year or leave now. He is a betting man, he is betting on himself with a small win streak.

Rex being Rex probably agreed. He is not spiteful or a nasty guy. He wants to keep up the loyalty image so he can get hired fast as a Coordinator somewhere.

Thoughts....

My gut tells me that if the Bills end up 9-7, the Pegulas are not going to fire a coach with a winning record. Not saying that's the right course; I just don't see a firing happening if that's how it turns out.

if I had to choose between Rex getting fired this year with Whaley staying vs. a complete draining of the swamp after the 2017 season, I would hold my nose & support keeping Rex another year.

Golic is 100% correct.

The only way that works is to get rid of everyone...

I look at the state of this year's roster- injuries and a secondary that is too easy for the better teams to exploit- and wonder which is worse- the coaching or the roster.

Rex is an average coach but the roster issues this year were more of a problem to the team's success, IMHO.