Charles Clay

Dunno how much of his lack of receptions, etc. are his fault. I do know that he is doing well blocking. He is making too much $ not to get more involved in the passing game, but I'm betting he takes on double teams a lot without Sammy, Goodwin and a healthy Woods.

Anybody else feel as though he is our biggest disappointment on offense? Seems like we do not utilize him for the talent that he had and when we try to he drops balls and always seemed nicked up. For all the money he makes seems like O'leary gets more out of his talents.

Not even close to the biggest disappointment on offense.

Anybody else feel as though he is our biggest disappointment on offense? Seems like we do not utilize him for the talent that he had and when we try to he drops balls and always seemed nicked up. For all the money he makes seems like O'leary gets more out of his talents.

Nope, not one bit.

Until there is a viable QB playing the position it is hard to judge anyone else.

i am of the opinion that clay is not being used to his potential, or in the proper manor. when they went out and got him, and when they were first theorizing his role, i had visions of a guy lining up all over the field, presenting match up problems, and being hit in the hands while running at full speed over the middle. the biggest problem seems to be that last part.

i am of the opinion that clay is not being used to his potential, or in the proper manor. when they went out and got him, and when they were first theorizing his role, i had visions of a guy lining up all over the field, presenting match up problems, and being hit in the hands while running at full speed over the middle. the biggest problem seems to be that last part.

He is of Similar Skillset to Delanie Walker, can people actually watch a game and say he is being utilized like Delanie Walker is. (Reason he was brought in by the way)

He is not the difference-maker at TE that I was hoping he'd be. Yes, some of the balls thrown at him are off-target but to be as well-paid as he is, he needs to bring more of them in.

That said, biggest disappointment? No.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

He's on pace for 52 catches. Isn't that what we thought we were getting?

It's exactly what I thought we were getting. Funny, but I don't back in 2013 or 2014 anyone saying when we played the Dolphins, "We better have a plan to at least slow down Charles Clay." He was a 4 catch a game/11 yards a catch guy, and those were his best 2 years. Guess what? He's a 4 catch a game/11 yards a catch guy with the Bills! Some people thought he'd magically get better, as if the big contract somehow causes better performance. It's not his fault. We got what we should have expected, we just (way) overpaid for it.

I'm not making any excuses for Clay as he's had his share of drops, but there have been times when he's been wide open and the ball isn't thrown his way. I'm also sure defenses have been able to focus more on stopping him with our WR core completely depleted. Lastly, he's been playing hurt all year.

Charles Clay needs to learn how to use his body and go up and get the ball. He used to play RB and it shows. He plays like a smaller player even though he has the size advantage over the db's. He should do basketball box out drills in the offseason.

Clay is one of the most complete, well-rounded TE's you'll find anywhere in the NFL and the Bills are lucky to have him. He's been an absolutely huge factor in the success the Bills have had in their running game over the last couple years, both strategically and tactically. His contract makes him somewhere around the 7th-10th highest paid TE in the league; considering how rare 3-down TE's have become and how well he plays every facet of the position, he is worth every penny of it. You put this guy in an offense that can work the seams or let him play with a QB that can hit him on time and with accurate ball placement and people would be voting him into the Pro Bowl every year.

We're stuck with him for another 2 years so we'd better find more creative ways to get him consistently involved in the passing game. It doesn't help that he's got a mandatory practice day off because of the knee, it has to hurt chemistry to some degree.

As a blocker, he's been as advertised. He's a very good fit for what we want to do offensively. With Watkins/Woods/McCoy/Goodwin all missing time, he should be seeing way more action than he is. I don't think the player has been the disappointment as much as how he's been utilised.

If our ol or RB's cpuld block maybe he could go down field more.

We just have to use him to block and he's doing good at it. At times

Looking like a pulling lineman

Yeah I gotta agree with you on this, he's spending too much time helping out the right side of that line blocking. He's not being utilized like a receiving TE.