First time in years I'm not as hooked.

I check on the Bills every day, but I for some reason don't have the passion, and I think it's because of last year's disappointing defense. In struts Rex, the defensive genius, inheriting a team that led the league in sacks for 2 years, and was #4 in the league....while playing New England twice a year!! The vibe was, this is going to be a great defense.

It sucked. With Rex and his boys in charge, it sucked. Now he's brought in his twin, and has lost some key pieces, and he tells us it's going to be different this year. How? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not saying I believe they will be a bad/mediocre team. I think they've got the talent to beat just about anybody. But my expectations are non-existent. I want them to win, of course, and I will be with the Bills Backers in St. Louis for every minute of the season. But I'm just not as hooked.

I do believe Gilmore will be signed soon. The media makes it look like it's doomed. But they'll work it out. With this ownership group, money is not an issue. The salary cap is the issue. They'll find a way to get it done.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. I feel very similar. The whole league seems to highlight all the parts of the sport and off-the-field stuff that I don't care about.

I've never been so uninterested in the draft, our team, players around the league. It's all so, "meh" to me. I know a lot of it has to do with how I feel about Rex Ryan, but the trend of the NFL is headed straight towards a trajectory that I couldn't be less amused by.

I check on the Bills every day, but I for some reason don't have the passion, and I think it's because of last year's disappointing defense. In struts Rex, the defensive genius, inheriting a team that led the league in sacks for 2 years, and was #4 in the league....while playing New England twice a year!! The vibe was, this is going to be a great defense.

It sucked. With Rex and his boys in charge, it sucked. Now he's brought in his twin, and has lost some key pieces, and he tells us it's going to be different this year. How? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not saying I believe they will be a bad/mediocre team. I think they've got the talent to beat just about anybody. But my expectations are non-existent. I want them to win, of course, and I will be with the Bills Backers in St. Louis for every minute of the season. But I'm just not as hooked.

I do believe Gilmore will be signed soon. The media makes it look like it's doomed. But they'll work it out. With this ownership group, money is not an issue. The salary cap is the issue. They'll find a way to get it done.

I will believe when i see it too.

But i have certainly have not closed my mind on the matter.

So i remain hopeful. Not blind.

Hope for both our sakes we have we can find reason to get a bit hyped once the season gets rolling !

Well said. I feel very similar. The whole league seems to highlight all the parts of the sport and off-the-field stuff that I don't care about.

I've never been so uninterested in the draft, our team, players around the league. It's all so, "meh" to me. I know a lot of it has to do with how I feel about Rex Ryan, but the trend of the NFL is headed straight towards a trajectory that I couldn't be less amused by.

The NFL itself is another story i think.

Of that i have little hope for actually

Yall Eeore types on here... No worrys, you'll be back on the bad wagon soon. You're just to the left of hope on this chart. But the cycle of sports continues and you'll once again be a raving fan. We'll welcome you back.

fear-hope-greed.png

I don't remember the last time I was so disengaged from the Bills. Probably in the mid 1980s, the Kay Stephenson team. I've been a devoted, very attentive fan for basically thirty years, and before the slump of the mid-1980s was a big fan going back to 1965. In other words, we're talking about a guy here (me) who has identified with this team his whole life, through thick and a lot of thin.

And I can hardly bring myself to care. If I did care, I would be pissed off. I have not hated a Bills coach to the degree that I hate Ryan with the possible exception of Gregg Williams, and for many of the same reasons. I don't know if they will do well this season--it's possible--but I don't expect it, and even if they do win, I do not see this clown ever winning a Super Bowl unless there's a bigger clown coaching the other team. He has drained away all my regard for this team the way George Steinbrenner destroyed my regard for the Yankees way back in the 1970s.

Just venting. I don't expect any particular reaction from any of you.

Best team the Bills have had in years at this time, over a decade. The only reason some fans arent excited is because the Bills just signed their own top free agents instead of letting them walk and signing some other free agents. Some fans need something new.

How about this for new, you didnt even mention QB in your doom thread. Get excited. This team is good. Trust Rex to fix the defense, he knows defense. Sometimes it doesnt work like we thought, but he knows defense.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Have you guys *been* to Hammer's Lot? Don't lost sight of the forest for the trees. :D:beer: (my edit was to fix ":beers:")

Let's Go Buffalo!

Edited by Heitz

Ive had low expectations for a long time and pleasantly surprised when we win.

I'm psyched as Hell.

I've been re-watching the games from last season and I've been reminded of several things:

-When Karlos, and Shady were both active, our run game was fantastic.

-Darby just got better, and better as the season progressed.

-Mario got worse, and worse as the season progressed.

-Corey Graham wasn't that bad. He just wasn't. In fact, our whole secondary was great, even with AW out.

-As TT became more comfortable with his receivers, his game exploded. He finished the season MUCH BETTER than when he started.

I am psyched to see Tyrod start the season as the undisputed leader, more prepared, and more comfortable.

I am psyched to see the playbook opened up for Tyrod.

I am psyched to see Clay be more productive. I firmly believe that he will be.

I am psyched to see Watkins get the ball. I believe that he will see less double coverage, as TT passes, and spreads the ball around more.

I am psyched to see which of our young receivers steps up. I know that at least one will. I've read that Dez Lewis is a "different player" after a season on the PS. Maybe it will be him?

I am psyched to see Rob Ryan throw up on his belly late in garbage time after he has downed seven beers, and fourteen hotdogs.

And, I am psyched to bring my six-year-old son, Bruno to the Bills @ Rams Game. He will be rooting for the Rams-- he is, after all, an LA native. And, I will be ruthless in my joy when the Bills hand them a righteous shellacking.

I've been meaning to start this exact same thread for a while now. I'm 37 and I've been a diehard Bills fan since my first game in 1985. I don't feel the need to give my Bills fandom credentials but needless to say I'm as big a fan as they come. My 2nd and 3rd favorite teams are the Sabres and the Colorado Rockies. I haven't outgrown rooting for sports teams because I care every bit as much about the Sabres and the Rockies as I ever have. But something changed in me last year with respect to the Bills and the NFL. When they got eliminated, I cared a little less and found it more amusing. I found it easier to cope with losses in general. I think it's a perfect storm of 1. the over-saturation/cheesiness of the NFL product/brand in 2016, 2. I hate Rex Ryan, 3. I hate Goodell, 4. the head injury stuff/loss of innocence about the game I used to love so much, 5. I follow Bills players on Twitter and very few of them are capable of stringing a complete sentence together... Don't get me wrong, I'll obviously watch every second of every game this year, I just care a little bit less than I used to. And it's evidenced by me not caring about every offseason article, ranking, etc. like I did even two years ago. I can't tell you how stupid it looks when people argue about where some nfl.com analyst ranked the Bills linebacking corps in May. It's literally dumber than a group of girls getting together to watch The Bachelorette.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Not feeling it either this year. Different reasons though. Largely fatigue of long drought and all the reasons for it. I suspect Ryan being a player's coach will lead to Jauron syndrome of excessive injuries that come with less discipline. Just an uneducated huntch. Should be hooked back in by September but definitely not where I usually am this time of year.

I'm psyched as Hell.

I've been re-watching the games from last season and I've been reminded of several things:

-When Karlos, and Shady were both active, our run game was fantastic.

-Darby just got better, and better as the season progressed.

-Mario got worse, and worse as the season progressed.

-Corey Graham wasn't that bad. He just wasn't. In fact, our whole secondary was great, even with AW out.

-As TT became more comfortable with his receivers, his game exploded. He finished the season MUCH BETTER than when he started.

I am psyched to see Tyrod start the season as the undisputed leader, more prepared, and more comfortable.

I am psyched to see the playbook opened up for Tyrod.

I am psyched to see Clay be more productive. I firmly believe that he will be.

I am psyched to see Watkins get the ball. I believe that he will see less double coverage, as TT passes, and spreads the ball around more.

I am psyched to see which of our young receivers steps up. I know that at least one will. I've read that Dez Lewis is a "different player" after a season on the PS. Maybe it will be him?

I am psyched to see Rob Ryan throw up on his belly late in garbage time after he has downed seven beers, and fourteen hotdogs.

And, I am psyched to bring my six-year-old son, Bruno to the Bills @ Rams Game. He will be rooting for the Rams-- he is, after all, an LA native. And, I will be ruthless in my joy when the Bills hand them a righteous shellacking.

Love the optimism until I think of injuries and lack of depth.

I've been meaning to start this exact same thread for a while now. I'm 37 and I've been a diehard Bills fan since my first game in 1985. I don't feel the need to give my Bills fandom credentials but needless to say I'm as big a fan as they come. My 2nd and 3rd favorite teams are the Sabres and the Colorado Rockies. I haven't outgrown rooting for sports teams because I care every bit as much about the Sabres and the Rockies as I ever have. But something changed in me last year with respect to the Bills and the NFL. When they got eliminated, I cared a little less and found it more amusing. I found it easier to cope with losses in general. I think it's a perfect storm of 1. the over-saturation/cheesiness of the NFL product/brand in 2016, 2. I hate Rex Ryan, 3. I hate Goodell, 4. the head injury stuff/loss of innocence about the game I used to love so much, 5. I follow Bills players on Twitter and very few of them are capable of stringing a complete sentence together... Don't get me wrong, I'll obviously watch every second of every game this year, I just care a little bit less than I used to. And it's evidenced by me not caring about every offseason article, ranking, etc. like I did even two years ago. I can't tell you how stupid it looks when people argue about where some nfl.com analyst ranked the Bills linebacking corps in May. It's literally dumber than a group of girls getting together to watch The Bachelorette.

Exactly. I'd just add the ridiculousness of lousy reffiing always seeming to screw the Bills at key moments, most commonly occurring against Pats.

We have the best head coach we've had since 2000 in Wade Phillips who immediately followed Levy and you're disengaged now? We have the best roster of talent since that time as well and people are bailing now? There's a real possibility we have found a QB and this year he may prove that right before our eyes and you're on a wait and see now? We finally have a pro offensive coordinator with loads of offensive talent and you hate our coaching staff now? You were willing to give your support to Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey and Marrone - but you hate Rex? Our Owner loves Buffalo and kept them here just 2 seasons ago - Whaley - Monos, are you kidding me that you're checked out?

There's been times when our optimism was so unrealistic - but this isn't that time. If you don't think this is the year to watch then you just don't grasp what you were grasping at the last 15 years. You should be more embarrassed of how you followed the team in every other year the last 15.

Last year the defense was a punch in the gut - suck it up. The offense earned your support - stop whining. I've never been more disappointed in the people down on this team. Discuss the Bills - criticize them of course - give them credit where deserved - but for those that are down you disgust me, seriously. I'm embarrassed of all of you and I hate the way you're acting.

We have the best head coach we've had since 2000 in Wade Phillips who immediately followed Levy and you're disengaged now? We have the best roster of talent since that time as well and people are bailing now? There's a real possibility we have found a QB and this year he may prove that right before our eyes and you're on a wait and see now? We finally have a pro offensive coordinator with loads of offensive talent and you hate our coaching staff now? You were willing to give your support to Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey and Marrone - but you hate Rex? Our Owner loves Buffalo and kept them here just 2 seasons ago - Whaley - Monos, are you kidding me that you're checked out?

There's been times when our optimism was so unrealistic - but this isn't that time. If you don't think this is the year to watch then you just don't grasp what you were grasping at the last 15 years. You should be more embarrassed of how you followed the team in every other year the last 15.

Last year the defense was a punch in the gut - suck it up. The offense earned your support - stop whining. I've never been more disappointed in the people down on this team. Discuss the Bills - criticize them of course - give them credit where deserved - but for those that are down you disgust me, seriously. I'm embarrassed of all of you and I hate the way you're acting.

Dude, no one's "disengaged." We wouldn't be on this site if we were disinterested altogether. I think some people are saying they just care a little bit less than they used to. You can't really will yourself to care more; you care as much as you care to care. Right now, for the first time in my life, the Sabres are more interesting to me than the Bills. And yes, it is largely in part to Rex Ryan being a gigantic dope. And yes, they are a very talented football team and I happen to be one of the biggest Whaley enthusiasts on this site. But sorry, Rex Ryan is kind of an embarrassing human being to get behind and say "I'm with him." He's really quite a joke actually.

Exactly how I feel. Forgot to mention that I had been obsessed with the draft since I was in elementary school and this year I couldn't have cared less about it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Dude, no one's "disengaged." We wouldn't be on this site if we were disinterested altogether. I think some people are saying they just care a little bit less than they used to. You can't really will yourself to care more; you care as much as you care to care. Right now, for the first time in my life, the Sabres are more interesting to me than the Bills. And yes, it is largely in part to Rex Ryan being a gigantic dope. And yes, they are a very talented football team and I happen to be one of the biggest Whaley enthusiasts on this site. But sorry, Rex Ryan is kind of an embarrassing human being to get behind and say "I'm with him." He's really quite a joke actually.

Exactly how I feel. Forgot to mention that I had been obsessed with the draft since I was in elementary school and this year I couldn't have cared less about it.

I understand what people are saying but being disengaged on this team right now because of Rex to me is lunacy. Have you seen the list of coaches we've had since Wade? How could anyone be more for those head coaches than Rex - especially when considering our talent? I just can't even understand how it's debatable. Marrone quit our team and you're less embarrassed that you supported him when you did? I think Rex is goofy but I don't understand how anyone could say he's more of a "joke" than what we've had. This is the most intriguing time to be a Bills fan in the last 15 years and I don't see how Rex can totally nullify that.

Yes, me too. I think "fatigue" and "disengaged" are the best terms up-thread to describe it.

But the difference this year is this: I'm not complaining about it. Unlike the past couple years where I was slow out of the gate, this year I'm not hoping someone will cheer me up or motivate me. I'm entirely at peace with it. For the first time since about 1988.

I think what cut the cord for me was when they hired Rob Ryan. To me it finally verified that the Rex Ryan era is a clown show, of RR and ex-Jet clowns lining up to take Pegula cash. Its not that I've stopped caring, but that I've stopped being so gung-ho about hurtling myself in front of the freight train every sunday.

So the OP and a couple others upstream are not whining. I think we are searching for words to describe our surprise at how detached we are. Its not that we dont think its a good team. But its different this year, somehow.

Its kinda like my cute gf broke up with me, instead of me breaking up with her. I've been on the verge of kicking her to the curb for years, for various reasons. So when she called me up and said "its over," I felt kinda free.

I'm kinda looking forward to an extra 4 hours on 16 sundays this year. Not on purpose, but just because . . . meh.

Edited by maddenboy

If this offense just remains as good or a little better

and

This D improves (and frankly I expect it....Rex Ryan does not historically put out bad defenses)

This is a playoff team

Cheer up

I'm in this camp. Yes, Rex disappointed me last year -but mostly due to his sideline screw ups and not putting his foot up Mario's backside. As for the HUUUUGE drop off in sacks, I don't blame Rex. Every team after the opener w/ Indy went to short, quick throws against us. Its what 2 straight years leading the League in sacks with do. It wouldn't have mattered if our opposition didn't even have any OL, -just a '5-Gator' rush, the pass was gone that quick.

We gave Rex some of the toys he wants, gave him his brother and jettisoned a few players I liked, so he has 'his guys'. I also think the League will anticipate that with Mario gone, they can hold the ball a little longer now and try deeper routes. We are a better team than the M*A*S*H* unit we ended the season with, but so is everyone else.

I too, am not giddy. Just hopeful.

Yall Eeore types on here... No worrys, you'll be back on the bad wagon soon. You're just to the left of hope on this chart. But the cycle of sports continues and you'll once again be a raving fan. We'll welcome you back.

Nobody's going anywhere, but, feel free to wrap yourself in your wonderful fandom and remember, you're a real fan, I'm not.

This happened to me a couple years ago. I used to be glued to the games, now when they put up a stinker I change the channel or go golfing.

Lots of sentiments on both sides. If anyone is disengaged, that can change if the team comes out fast. I am very cautiously optimistic. I want to believe the positives we hope for will come to fruition. I'm also not stupid and can see the backslide that could occur, so I'm hoping for the best, but not blinded to what could happen.

As always, Go Bills!

They've always been my team, and always will.

I think my disengagement is less about the Bills and more about the entire NFL experience. It's so damn big. The fantasy aspect is something I am not interested in at all. The players seem to be either thugs or divas, or some strange blend of these personalities.

I feel as though this time of year I am less excited than I have been for the past couple. That isn't because we haven't signed flashy FAs or because our 1st round pick is injured it is just a reflection of my lack of confidence in the coaching. It won't stop me staying up till 4am in the morning UK time to watch every snap of our pre-season games or getting all excited for opening weekend but in previous years I've been on the countdown to training camp and that kind of thing and frankly this year I am taking much more of a "show me the baby" approach. Rex says we are fully pregnant.... I can only hope we give birth with a play-off game next January.

Well written and spot on. I think your post speaks for a bunch of us. I find Ryan(s) an embarrassment. I'll still be rooting for the Bills but to say that my expectations have been tempered would be an understatement.

I am kind of with you on this. The whole NFL is kind of boring. I still love the Bills but I am more on a wait & see approach right now. Last year I did something that I never did & I actually did it twice. When watching the game on TV, I left at halftime with my son to go golfing(one was the Jacksonville game). I just didn't care enough to stick around & watch the second half.

I'm not in love with Rex, but I'll be ready come game time. It's just the time of year when nothing is happening. Hard to be hyped up all year, and that's even more true when the coach is a wind bag. But this runs in my blood, and times will turn..... The hard times make the good times just that much better.

fear-hope-greed.png

I think your graph becomes a straight line after 20 years worth of cycles. I feel as though my Bills excitement level has flatlined,

Edited by bmur66

OP. I'm not discouraged. I'm just not as stoked as I usually am. Every year, even the total crap years, I'd be much more into it than I am right now. That's all. I think I mentioned that I will be watching every game. I hope I get it back. It's sort of like a marriage that loses a little spark after a while. Might be time to order a Buffalo Bills Viagra pill.

Yes, me too. I think "fatigue" and "disengaged" are the best terms upstream to describe it.

But the difference this year is this: I'm not complaining about it. Unlike the past couple years where I was slow out of the gate, this year I'm not hoping someone will cheer me up or motivate me. I'm entirely at peace with it. For the first time since about 1988.

I think what cut the cord for me was when they hired Rob Ryan. To me it finally verified that the Rex Ryan era is a clown show, of RR and ex-Jet clowns lining up to take Pegula cash. Its not that I've stopped caring, but that I've stopped being so gung-ho about hurtling myself in front of the freight train every sunday.

So the OP and a couple others upstream are not whining. I think we are searching for words to describe our surprise at how detached we are. Its not that we dont think its a good team. But its different this year, somehow.

Its kinda like my cute gf broke up with me, instead of me breaking up with her. I've been on the verge of kicking her to the curb for years, for various reasons. So when she called me up and said "its over," I felt kinda free.

I'm kinda looking forward to an extra 4 hours on 16 sundays this year. Not on purpose, but just because . . . meh.

Right!! And picking up all the New York Jets debris. I've never heard of these guys they keep signing. EK?? What???

I don't think anyone would debate whether Rex Ryan is engaging to the fans. I can't remember a coach since Chuck Knox, that had as much bravado as he does. That said, there was a lot of hype going into last season. I'm not as "hyped" as I have been in past years either. It will take all but an uneventful preseason for me to want to care even less. It's going to take some serious momentum out of the gates for me to get hooked again. @BAL, NYJ, ARI, @NE is going to tell us a lot about where this team is this year after only the first four weeks of the season. On the face of it, I would be happy with 2-2. 1-3 will tell me that they're the same team as last year. 3-1 or undefeated and I'm back on the Bills crack. LOL.

Bingo. I'm 38, feel the exact same way. I quit fantasy last year and it felt so refreshing.