Bears release Matt Slauson -Signed w/ San Diego

JM57

He was there from 2013-15, so I would say that yes, there is also a Kromer connection.

Seems he's played mostly LG or C in the NFL, but did play mostly RG at Nebraska in his junior and senior seasons after being kicked inside from tackle.

Havent dont the research yet, but was he on the team the same time as Incognito?

edit: doesnt look like they were there at the same time. But Slauson did play for Rex on the Jets for a few years.

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was set to earn $6 million over the next two years.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-06/sports/chi-bears-slauson-deal-20140106_1_matt-slauson-salary-cap-roster-bonus

Base salary $2.85 million
Workout bonus $100,000
Total cash $2.95 million
Salary cap figure $3,367,500
(Escalators worth up to $160,000 available)

Base salary $2.9 million
Workout bonus $100,000
Total cash $3 million
Salary cap figure $3,417,500
(Escalators worth up to $240,000 available)

He got $5 million or so in guarantees with a contract in 2014.

Bills probably picked up $3 million in cap space with Glenn signing long term--can pick up more with Gilmore...but they have the room to get something done with Slausen...he would fit well.

Here is a link to a Bears/Redskins game where Slauson is mic'ed up. There is also a Kromer sighting. Enjoy!

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/videos/Bears-Redskins-Sounds-OL-Slauson/0a8f1363-517d-43b2-8d33-9812d37745c1

Holy moly. He and Cogs would be on the All-Pro Tats team for sure. We'd have two All-Pro Tats Guards!

Watched that Confidential video fading posted, great find.

Yes indeedy! Very interesting. I think he'll find a very nice home with The Bills.

Guard/center, played for Rex Ryan in New Jersey. On the wrong side of 30, but still a solid starter. Wish the Bills had the cap room to make this work. I think he's an upgrade over John Miller, and probably Velasco as well.

Wasn't Miller a rookie 3rd round pick last year? Should we maybe see how much he improves in year 2 before trying to grab "aging vet that I've heard of"?

Pretty sure Marv Levy said that the typical player makes his biggest improvement from year one to year two.

I suggest we wait to see how Miller plays this year before writing the end of his career in stone.

Wasn't Miller a rookie 3rd round pick last year? Should we maybe see how much he improves in year 2 before trying to grab "aging vet that I've heard of"?

Pretty sure Marv Levy said that the typical player makes his biggest improvement from year one to year two.

I suggest we wait to see how Miller plays this year before writing the end of his career in stone.

Monitor his progress on the 2nd team no need to gamble the season on it. Make players actually earn starting positions.

Anyway FYI they're saying they want slauson to compete at right tackle.

There's no room for this kind of logical crap here! Get with the program! :flirt:

That aging vet you've heard of was one of the better more consistent interior lineman in the entire league last season. Does that remind you of anyone? Someone who wears #64 perhaps?

If you're really in win now mode, this is a move you make. The kid was average on his best days last year. If you want Tyrod to stay on the field, better shore up the OL however you can

Anybody know what kind of offseason Miller had? If he put on thirty pounds of lean muscle and dropped his body fat percentage by 7-10 percent and increased his strength substantially that could make all the difference. Hasn't Whaley said most pros make the biggest jump from year one to year two. Plus I think Miller played hurt 2nd half of the season. Little early to give upnon him.

Mf'ers act like they forgot about Dray

What do you say to some 'backer you play?

Or anyone tryna bring tackles your way?

Wanna solve things with an incredible gain?

Go study a tape of ole Keith McK.

Anybody know what kind of offseason Miller had? If he put on thirty pounds of lean muscle and dropped his body fat percentage by 7-10 percent and increased his strength substantially that could make all the difference. Hasn't Whaley said most pros make the biggest jump from year one to year two. Plus I think Miller played hurt 2nd half of the season. Little early to give upnon him.

Miller has 3 years left on his contract. How is starting the season with him a 2nd teamer giving up on him? Odds are he'd play at some point this season anyway. Three more years before we have to make any sort of decision on him.

Yes it makes sense....

but

Do we not have a bit of a salary cap issue?

I mean I would rather do it if we dont plan on improving the RT position till next year?

Dan (cough) Carpenter $ No?

I bet they cut KuJo if they sign Slaussen.

I think that is very likely. Did someone say above the maximum saving on KuJo is from a post 1 June cut? If so expect that to be the way they go.

While KuJo has been a grand disappointment, I'd rather get rid of Richardson first.

While KuJo has been a grand disappointment, I'd rather get rid of Richardson first.

Kujo provides depth at LT too. I don't think we have anyone else with experience there if Glenn couldn't play

Bears GM Ryan Pace's decision to cut Matt Slauson is confusing, troubling

Bears GM Ryan Pace cut starting guard Matt Slauson, the guy teammates considered the toughest player in the locker room, a veteran who could not have epitomized a throwback player any more without wearing a leather helmet.

That message confuse anyone else?

Word quickly spread that the Bears sought more athleticism from at guard, as if offensive linemen carried batons and crossed finish lines. Yet nobody at Halas Hall complained publicly or privately last year about Slauson's ability to function when he was, at worst, the Bears' second-most reliable lineman and, at best, their most consistent.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-matt-slauson-ryan-pace-haugh-bears-spt-0504-20160503-column.html

This would be big for us. He's a vet, would be cheap. And we only need him for 2 year deal till Miller gets his act together. This makes a lot of sense.

Hopefully a RT will fall into our lap with a June 1st cut

Our only hope, can't believe Whaley ignored RT in the draft.

@adamschefter

Former #Bears starting G Matt Slauson has visits scheduled with the and #Bills.

@mikerodak

Matt Slauson has a background with Rex Ryan (with NYJ) and Aaron Kromer (with CHI). Bills have likely freed some cap space from Glenn deal.

:thumbsup:

Mf'ers act like they forgot about Dray

I did, who is dray?

PEDs?

Wouldn't shock me at all to see them sign Slauson...nor would it surprise me if they made a push for Anquan Boldin now that they have a bit more cap room.

You think they can fit both Slauson and Boldin under the cap w/o lowering Gimore's cap hit?

Wouldn't shock me at all to see them sign Slauson...nor would it surprise me if they made a push for Anquan Boldin now that they have a bit more cap room.

Don't know if they can do it, but I like it. When Lofton arrived he made that offense much better. If Boldin has anything left this would be great.

Slauson would be nice, but why wouldn't they have considered Jhari Evans if they wanted a one year rental. The price will be the same. I'm not against picking up Slauson. If he adds to the team, great.

Regarding Boldin, I thought Rex likes more of the speed guys vs. possession WR. He's been productive for a long time.