Guess who we drafted 5 picks ahead of Tom Brady?

Leif Larsen. The reason I know this is I just saw a guy who looked like a statue of Leif Erickson. That made me think of Leif Larsen. So I googled it and found out that he is a professional boxer or something. And his claim to fame is that he bench pressed 225 pounds 45 times. We all knew that. His main claim to fame is being drafted five positions ahead of Tom Brady.

Just posted for your amusement. Pretty hard to find anyone in any year who has been as good as Brady. The Pats whiffed on him 5 times before they picked him.

Is it a guess when we know who they drafted?

Did you know it was larsen? I am a pretty big fan and just found out a couple hours ago.

Who did we draft when Big Ben or Aaron Rodgers was drafted? Even better TJ Graham over Russell Wilson.

Big Ben went #11 to Pitt, and we took Lee Evans two picks later in the 2004 Draft.

In the 2005 draft, Rodgers went to GB with the #24 pick. We had no first round pick that year. We had traded it to Dallas the previous year to get JP. Yes, that JP.

Just posted for your amusement. Pretty hard to find anyone in any year who has been as good as Brady. The Pats whiffed on him 5 times before they picked him.

Did you know it was larsen? I am a pretty big fan and just found out a couple hours ago.

It's been stated many times, but I thought it was one pick before.

Somehow I'm thinking that if Brady were drafted by the Bills, his career would have gone a tad differently.

Levi Brown

This assumes that Tom Brady would have been any good with a team other than the Patriots. Consider the superior (ahem) "video scouting" he received. Not to mention the Highly Good Help the Patriots provide their players.

HGH does nothing for performance, it helps heal

Big Ben went #11 to Pitt, and we took Lee Evans two picks later in the 2004 Draft.

In the 2005 draft, Rodgers went to GB with the #24 pick. We had no first round pick that year. We had traded it to Dallas the previous year to get JP. Yes, that JP.

Thats about right. I was gonna day ben and Rodgers we didnt have a shot

I'm going to start a thread the day after the draft and let everyone list who they'd have picked for Buffalo with each pick given who's on the board.

That way, there's no speculation as to who liked who. I'll revisit at the end of the rookie season to see who knew what they were talking about.

Every team passed on Brady 5 times including the Pats*. Can't cry over spilt milk.

For those interested, before they picked Brady that year, they picked....

no first round pick

Rd 2 - Adrian Klemm - OT

Rd 3 - J.R. Redmond - RB

Rd 4 - Greg Randall - OT

Rd 5 - Dave Stachelski - TE

Rd 5 - Jeff Marriott - G

Rd 6 - Antwan Harris - SS

then

Rd 6 - Tom Brady - QB

and after him...

Rd 6 - David Nugent - DE

Rd 7 - Casey Tisdale - DE

Rd 7 - Patrick Pass - FB

I had delusional hopes for Leif Larsen. Wasn't he the guy that broke all the lifting records at the combine?

Yeah, he bench pressed 45 times. I get high hopes on just about every pick. There is a reason every guy is chosen, and they are certain to tell us why. They drafted Kamil Loud because his name spoke volumes.

no first round pick

Rd 2 - Adrian Klemm - OT

Rd 3 - J.R. Redmond - RB

Rd 4 - Greg Randall - OT

Rd 5 - Jeff Marriott - G

then

Rd 6 - Tom Brady - QB

and after him...

Rd 6 - David Nugent - DE

Rd 7 - Patrick Pass - FB

Besides Brady, I remember Redmond for a hot second and Patrick Pass for the same reason

What an awful class

no first round pick

Rd 2 - Adrian Klemm - OT

Rd 3 - J.R. Redmond - RB

Rd 4 - Greg Randall - OT

Rd 5 - Jeff Marriott - G

then

Rd 6 - Tom Brady - QB

and after him...

Rd 6 - David Nugent - DE

Rd 7 - Patrick Pass - FB

That's amazing. The best pick (possibly) in the history of the NFL, surrounded by mediocre (at best) picks. Proves that it really was a lucky pick in many ways. I don't know if Brady would have been as good without Belichick, and vice-versa. I really think that dumb luck created an amazing dynasty.

I don't doubt that the Pats would have been a good team without Brady, and maybe won a SB, but there's no way they would have done what they did for the past 15 years without Brady. They certainly wouldn't have dominated the AFC east the way they did.

Let's not rush to judgment, you know it takes almost 20 years to grade a draft. We might end up coming out on the smart end of this draft selection, still.

This made me laugh out loud.

On a more serious note, I find it absolutely interesting that possibly the best QB of all time went so low in the draft.

Brady obviously inherently has all the key characteristics to be a great NFL QB, yet they were missed by all the experts in the business multiple times.

Why? One can only assume their process/metrics for determining QB quality are poorly constructed.

I would like to think the Bills and other organizations are using Brady as a test case to better evaluate QB talent, but I bet they are not.

I'm going to start a thread the day after the draft and let everyone list who they'd have picked for Buffalo with each pick given who's on the board.

That way, there's no speculation as to who liked who. I'll revisit at the end of the rookie season to see who knew what they were talking about.

you have to wait 15 years to rate a draft.

Yeah, he bench pressed 45 times. I get high hopes on just about every pick. There is a reason every guy is chosen, and they are certain to tell us why. They drafted Kamil Loud because his name spoke volumes.

Why did they pick Ed Wang?

The one point that sticks out more than anything is that 31 32 teams passed on him for five rounds, so goes to show there's often more luck involved than anything else.

To me, it also makes it seem more silly to want to fire Whaley for not getting us a franchise QB. All the GM's and their assistants failed to properly realize Brady's potential and passed on him, so now we're going to fire Whaley and bring in one of these same guys whom passed on Brady, and expect he will find us the answer.

You want to fire Whaley for other reasons, fine, (though personally I fell he's done way more good than bad moves) but getting rid of him for not getting a franchise QB is pretty laughable when there's a good chance the unknown is even worse.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

The one point that sticks out more than anything is that 32 teams passed on him for five rounds, so goes to show there's often more luck involved than anything else.

To me, it also makes it seem more silly to want to fire Whaley for not getting us a franchise QB. All the GM's and their assistants failed to properly realize Brady's potential and passed on him, so now we're going to fire Whaley and bring in one of these same guys whom passed on Brady, and expect he will find us the answer.

You want to fire Whaley for other reasons, fine, (though personally I fell he's done way more good than bad moves) but getting rid of him for not getting a franchise QB is pretty laughable when there's a good chance the unknown is even worse.

The Houston Texans joined the NFL as an expansion team in 2002 under owner Robert McNair.

Brady was drafted in 2000.

The one point that sticks out more than anything is you do not know when Texans joined NFL.

The one team which has no blame for not drafting Tom Brady is the Texans.

There Koolaid, hope you're happy now!!

The Houston Texans joined the NFL as an expansion team in 2002 under owner Robert McNair.

Brady was drafted in 2000.

The one point that sticks out more than anything is you do not know when Texans joined NFL.

The one team which has no blame for not drafting Tom Brady is the Texans.