Dareus vs Rookie Center

LA Grant

Everyone thought this match-up was going to be the one that swung the game in the Bills favor yet Brady didn't seem to face much pressure from the middle.

What happened here?

Brady got the ball off quick and we were playing 10-15 yards off on the outside.

There were some plays when Brady took his time. When there was pressure, it didn't seem to come from the middle. Yes, Brady got the ball out quick, but we knew to expect that coming into the game — I thought interior pressure was going to be the answer.

Edited by LA Grant

LA Grant is right, there were some plays where Brady has a ridiculous amount of time.

With that said, the ball was gone...hard to fault Dareus for not routinely wrecking havock but it is a HUGE problem when we pay somewhere around a quarter billion dollars for a DLine that doesn't matter and makes no difference in a game against the champs.

Everyone thought this match-up was going to be the one that swung the game in the Bills favor — yet Brady didn't seem to face much pressure from the middle.

What happened here?

Whenever I hear about a Pats lineman out, rookie replacement, etc. I've stopped being excited. The guys they plug in NEVER give up sacks, EVER! Mr Big ****, er, Stuff was a non-factor today, as I expected.

This team isn't built to beat the Patriots. Rex had success with great defensive back and linebacker play on the Jets. Our best talent is on the line which as you saw today does not factor at all in a game vs the Pats

Marcel is right. When the QB throws the ball in 2 seconds, there's nothing our $100 million men can do. We will never be a good match up vs the Pats

This team isn't built to beat the Patriots. Rex had success with great defensive back and linebacker play on the Jets. Our best talent is on the line which as you saw today does not factor at all in a game vs the Pats

Marcel is right. When the QB throws the ball in 2 seconds, there's nothing our $100 million men can do. We will never be a good match up vs the Pats

Giants did it with the D-line. Got to be more aggressive with coverage to allow the pressure to get home. Can't play off...

I would think it would be easier to cover receivers, knowing that the ball was going to be coming out in under 2 seconds.

Exactly. No idea what was going through the head of our defensive genius on the sidelines. This was reminiscent of those vanilla Wannstache gameplans.

You have to pressure Brady. He morphs into a Direct TV commercial when he gets pressured. Obviously it's not that simple to do, he is the hardest guy to pressure in football. That said I feel like we have the best set up to beat him. DL pressure allows for potential pressure with max coverage. The Bills sucked it up today based on a crap game plan that conceded 5-8 yard passes at will. We played New England's game and while I'm sure it isn't as easy as just saying "play press" we certainly needed to dictate more and force New England to play a different game in order to beat us.

@TyDunne

Dareus: "There’s not much you can do if the quarterback’s getting the ball out. Two seconds, 3 seconds, there’s nothing you can really do.”

Regardless, there was absolutely no immediate push up the middle to at least distract Brady at all. And while in general it is true that most plays it was coming out quick, there were plenty of plays that Brady had plenty of time to complete longer passes. The point was, the interior Dline did absolutely nothing to disrupt any aspect of the pats offense, against rookie olinemen

I'm calling BS on this.

I thought Brady had plenty of time to sit back and throw the ball.

Last week, Luck had to throw within a couple seconds, because of pressure but this week was different.

The defense was VERY disappointing this week.

@TyDunne

Dareus: "There’s not much you can do if the quarterback’s getting the ball out. Two seconds, 3 seconds, there’s nothing you can really do.”

I think the Bills need to mirror what the Giants did against the Pats* in those two Super Bowls. Line a big run stuffer up in the inside like Dareus but put a quick defensive end type next to him. Maybe line Mario up inside in the A or B gap while having Dareus patroling the other sides A or B gap. Then have Hughes going off the blind side and line another speed rusher on the other side. Just have one big run stuffer up the middle and then all speed to try and get to Brady as quickly as possible.

The Giants had Tuck and JPP lined up on the inside with two other rushers along the edge and a big DT up the middle. I think you have to try and get to Brady as quickly as possible, even if you don't sack or hit him getting hands in his face and making it hard to step up in the pocket are also going to be disruptive for Brady.

Regardless, there was absolutely no immediate push up the middle to at least distract Brady at all. And while in general it is true that most plays it was coming out quick, there were plenty of plays that Brady had plenty of time to complete longer passes. The point was, the interior Dline did absolutely nothing to disrupt any aspect of the pats offense, against rookie olinemen

I think this is right on