Pats Fan Nervous to come to the Ralph

JP's Voice

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched last year's pats game on TV and it was embarrassing how many Pats fans were there. It was so loud when they scored. I just hope it's not like that. If the reputation of the stadium deters them from coming that's a good thing IMO.

There is no question Pats*** fans target the Buffalo game as one to travel to, since they can pay less on the scalper's market than it costs to go to one of their own home games.

The hope is that the increase in season tix combined with renewed local optimism has locked many of them out.

There is no question Pats*** fans target the Buffalo game as one to travel to, since they can pay less on the scalper's market than it costs to go to one of their own home games.

The hope is that the increase in season tix combined with renewed local optimism has locked many of them out.

i flipped on the Sports Hub today for my daily dose of Pats news and they had on Albert Breer, who was at the Ralph last week. He's pretty measured on nfln and Twitter about the Bills. But he just trashed them on their "local radio" (uh - hey Bert - anyone can listen, not just Bahhhston homers). He said that the stadium was an overgrown HS stadium and because ticket prices are low enough they get the "gun rack and pickup truck crowd" unlike Gillette where the prices indicate a more classy bunch. Uh - hey Bert - it's a football game, not a wine tasting. He also talked about the lots the next day being filled with trash. Zolak then equated it to Jacksonville as the two shouldn't be NFL cities because they are too poor.

Alrighty then.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I've been to a lot of Bills games and I totally agree. This is not going to be a nice atmosphere for opposing fans to say the least.

Kirby I agree. This is an annual game for a bunch of us, and we generally have about 4 Pats fans in the group. Two are big gear guys , Brady jerseys, the gloves, one even has that Pats wrestling style mask. Never have had a issue.

Always getting ridiculed by Bills fans, almost 100 % funny as chit and highly encouraged by me.

But I agree about this year, and based on my recommendation not wearing any gear this year. Discretion and valor and all that.

Edited by plenzmd1

Most of the interactions I've witnessed with opposing fans has been fairly good natured.

In the instances where fights or other negative situations happened, it usually started with the opposing team's fan being obnoxious/rude and looking to get into an argument. I've seen a few instances where drunken idiot Bills fans verbally harassed opposing fans. But the vast majority of the time, the opposing fans are treated with respect and show respect back to the Bills fans. If the opposing fans are planning on coming to the game looking for trouble, they can surely expect to find it. If they are coming to watch the game and have fun, they can probably find that too. You may have to ignore some rude comments, but I would not expect physical violence.

I agree. Generally the other teams fans act like idiots, then some idiot Bills fan responds with beer or violence. Really, no different in the Ralph than anywhere else. Boston people are such weak puss*es btw if this is their concern. They would last a day in the ACF North dealing with Steelers, Browns, and Ravens fans. They are soft from dealing with Dolphins fans.

True of course. But is it too much to ask for fans of both teams, not just the away fans, not to be asshats? I mean, it's a football game, not life and death.

don't tell that to some idiot wearing a Brady jersey bragging about 6 super bowl wins, how the NFL is out to get them, etc. and the drunk idiot fan next to him who decides to punch him.

True of course. But is it too much to ask for fans of both teams, not just the away fans, not to be asshats? I mean, it's a football game, not life and death.

Personally if I go to Gillette or the Meadowlands I don't wear Bills gear. Maybe a hat. And I definitely keep my feelings to myself.

From what I have seen there are a few factors.

1) score of the game. Bills losing bad and it might not be good. Winning, if you can stand gloating and taunting, it's probably the worst you will get

2) attitude of the opposing fan. If he keeps to himself and doesn't gloat or get in people's face he will probably be fine except for taunting or comments being made about him aND his team. If he gets up and goats or gets in people's faces it will be bad.

3) drunk Ness of the area or people around. It's usually the ignorant drunks who can't be civilized in public that get out of hand with opposing teams fans and try to incite fights or will dump food/beverages on someone. Sit in one of the better seating areas in the stadium and you will see it less, the cheap seats are typically where they are cause ticket prices take away beer money......

don't tell that to some idiot wearing a Brady jersey bragging about 6 super bowl wins, how the NFL is out to get them, etc. and the drunk idiot fan next to him who decides to punch him.

Exactly, both teams fans being asshats.

Personally if I go to Gillette or the Meadowlands I don't wear Bills gear. Maybe a hat. And I definitely keep my feelings to myself.

Definitely the smart play. But why should you have to? And wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Just heard the guys on WGR talking about someone from NE asking if they would be in danger coming to the game Sunday. I'm all for a rowdy atmosphere and as a season ticket holder, I love the effect we can have on the game. But it's unfortunate that this fan probably IS in danger coming to the game wearing patriots gear. Most fans will not be idiots, but there are still a lot who will cause problems. Thoughts?

Be classy and stand up for what's right. If you see Bills fans being bullies to nice people just trying to cheer for their team, call them out on it. A little ribbing is all well and good, but if you're a decent person you know where that line is.

If a Pats fan is acting a fool, well, you're on your own chowder head.

The scalpers should sell face value to people wearing Bills gear and have a 25% + markup for people wearing Cheaters gear.

While I agree, I also don't think it's too much to ask of an opposing fan to be aware of their surroundings. When I go to away (or neutral field for VT) games, I make it a point to start out on a good note. I usually chat before the game, say I hope/expect it's a good game but I hope they're okay with some banter. That usually helps me gauge what I can get away with and also keeps things more on the playful side.

When I go to an away game, I usually buy my tickets on Stub Hub and often end up in a season ticket holder section. I show up with my Bills gear on, call the beer vendor over and offer to buy a beer for the fans of the other team in my immediate area. I tell them that I will cheer for my team but I will be respectful and not cheer "against" their team. I never have issues with this approach and usually end up having great conversations with fans of the other team.

There was even a time when we were losing and fans several rows up tried to heckle me and the fans around me told them to be quiet.

While I agree, I also don't think it's too much to ask of an opposing fan to be aware of their surroundings. When I go to away (or neutral field for VT) games, I make it a point to start out on a good note. I usually chat before the game, say I hope/expect it's a good game but I hope they're okay with some banter. That usually helps me gauge what I can get away with and also keeps things more on the playful side.

Completely agree. Exactly what I do. And on the other side, if visiting fans come around and seem cool, I'm all for letting them hang out and banter. If they're clearly ass#oles and looking for a fight, let them find it elsewhere.

Conversation over based on this statement. We are miles apart in our opinion.

how much drinking is too much drinking? how much for any one person is not enough? I had at least a dozen jello shots, at least 8 beers, 4 sips of moonshine before kickoff. I was perfectly sober. I had 4 beers during the game, as well. And 3 after. By 6:30 when I left I was as sober as a preacher on Sunday morning.

I live in NE and for any NE fan to be worried about going to an away game comes from the experience they have seen in their stadiums and how they treat opposing fans. I have watched Bruins' fans rip shirts off of people, I have seen a fan peg a full water bottle at a mascot at a BC game. Go to the Celtics and I've seen a guy yell at a Mavs fan in the restroom.

At the Pats, I've seen fights in a parking lot at tailgate parties. And on a personal note, my son wore a Kansas City Royals hat (when they sucked) to a Sox-Blue Jays game and some drunken Chowderhead told him to "$%^ off!" slapped a high five with his bro, stared at me and walked off.

I implore Bills fans to be bigger than the Chowderheads who try to harass, intimidate, and generally make life miserable for fans. The sports radio guys have mocked Buffalo, mocked the citizens, and generally been royal douches. They have belittled the Bills and belittled you folks in WNY. I want the fall from grace to start this Sunday.

I had at least a dozen jello shots, at least 8 beers, 4 sips of moonshine before kickoff. I was perfectly sober.

Not sure what time you started drinking the morning of the game, but if you mean by being perfectly sober that you could blow a 0.0 into a breathalyzer after drinking that much, I doubt it. LOL

Just heard the guys on WGR talking about someone from NE asking if they would be in danger coming to the game Sunday. I'm all for a rowdy atmosphere and as a season ticket holder, I love the effect we can have on the game. But it's unfortunate that this fan probably IS in danger coming to the game wearing patriots gear. Most fans will not be idiots, but there are still a lot who will cause problems. Thoughts?

I brought a Pats fan friend to the opener two years ago and brought him to Hammer's Lot. He was perfectly fine. Fine during the game, too. He just got booed a lot; all in good fun. After the game, when we went back to Hammer's, he started talking a little schit. I quickly warned him to knock it off and told him I wasn't about to get into a fight just because he was choosing to be an ass hole. He stopped and everything was fine.

Flutie Flakes brought a Fins fan to last year's opener. He, too, was fine.

how much drinking is too much drinking? how much for any one person is not enough? I had at least a dozen jello shots, at least 8 beers, 4 sips of moonshine before kickoff. I was perfectly sober. I had 4 beers during the game, as well. And 3 after. By 6:30 when I left I was as sober as a preacher on Sunday morning.

Not sure if your analogy is supposed to mean you were sober or hammered.

Yup. Easy ride down 90, good distance for a weekend road trip. My brother-in-law is in a group from Boston that rents an RV every year for the Buffalo game.

When I go to an away game, I usually buy my tickets on Stub Hub and often end up in a season ticket holder section. I show up with my Bills gear on, call the beer vendor over and offer to buy a beer for the fans of the other team in my immediate area. I tell them that I will cheer for my team but I will be respectful and not cheer "against" their team. I never have issues with this approach and usually end up having great conversations with fans of the other team.

There was even a time when we were losing and fans several rows up tried to heckle me and the fans around me told them to be quiet.

Doesn't that kind of get a little pricey? @ $10 a beer I will take my chances at just keeping my mouth shut & keeping a low profile.

There's not much risk at Gillette -- they will yank season tickets in a heartbeat from guys who get in fights. It's a pretty passive stadium.

Meadowlands is hit or miss. Jets fans are idiots.

Got to agree with this. For the better part of 12-13 years now Bills fans have been subject to ahole patriot fans from Boooston with their stupid ass accents acting like they own the Ralph. I don't condone violence & I will have my 11 year old son with me at the game so I certainly won't be looking for trouble but unfortunately Patriot fans bring it on themselves. When you come into someone elses house your supposed to show a little respect not be all arrogant & act like you own the place.

That is a very good point. Up until this year Pats fans have essentially been able to buy all the tix that they want and come in bus after bus after bus.

This year is different however and it won't be anything close to a Pats home game, which is probably why Brady was so cavalier earlier this week, because he's expecting "the same old Ralph." Well this will be a wake-up call for him.

I have to think that the Pats fans will be OK as long as, as others have said, they don't instigate anything. They're people, and Bills fans people will back them up as people, but not as a-holes. I suspect that any trouble will occur after the game after we pummel the daylights out of NE and some NE fans start ranting about us being 5-and-umpteen against them while they're on the way back to the parking lots and after mass quantities of alcohol have been consumed.

This will be ugly win or lose if the typical Pats fans are in attendance I'm afraid. I agree with Gordio from what I have seen over the years that the typical Pats fan that come to our stadium are the biggest trash talking a holes of any team that comes here.

They're not going to appreciate the feeling running through everyone's veins here this time. Once they start their normal garbage it is going to get ugly.

I have been to many games at Lambeau and Arrowhead with my Bills colors a flyin'. Great experiences and great banter at both places. I consider them to be exceptions to the norm. I would carefully consider going anywhere else in Bills colors. If I went to an AFCE stadium I would bring reinforcements.

I haven't read the whole thread but we really shouldn't be comparing this Sunday's game to the typical road game. This isn't like going to New England or Miami or Houston or wherever else where you receive some good natured ribbing. We are a notoriously ruthless crowd with a lot of frustration and alcohol.

You can always feel comfortable wearing a Bills jersey in Gillette. I would be very concerned if you were planning on wearing a Pats jersey to this particular game. It is not something that we should be proud of but it will be ugly. It will be really, really dangerous and ugly.

Too much in this case isn't defined by quantity, but rather by how much of an a-hole you are because of the alcohol. You might be able to be perfectly normal drinking that much while someone else might be a raving a-hole after just the jello shots.

I haven't read the whole thread but we really shouldn't be comparing this Sunday's game to the typical road game. This isn't like going to New England or Miami or Houston or wherever else where you receive some good natured ribbing. We are a notoriously ruthless crowd with a lot of frustration and alcohol.

You can always feel comfortable wearing a Bills jersey in Gillette. I would be very concerned if you were planning on wearing a Pats jersey to this particular game. It is not something that we should be proud of but it will be ugly. It will be really, really dangerous and ugly.

That's a scary thought, Kirby. Even in the early 90s with the "Fack Miami" t-shirts being sold in the parking lots I didn't notice that sort of unprompted vitriol towards opposing fans.

That's a scary thought, Kirby. Even in the early 90s with the "Fack Miami" t-shirts being sold in the parking lots I didn't notice that sort of unprompted vitriol towards opposing fans.

Yeah, this is going to be bad. It is kind of embarrassing honestly. I have brought some opposing fans with me before but only on a couple of occasions. The Cleveland Monday Night game (and someone threw a beer bottle that hit the guy in the head on the walk in) and the Saints game 6 years ago (or whatever) and the people behind us sprayed the girl's jersey (a girl) with mustard packets.

It is not a nice place in general but this will be a whole different level of aggression. I have worn Bills gear in 7 different stadiums (besides for the Ralph) and have never once had any issues. There is always some, "what does Bills stand for? Boy I Love Losing Superbowls." There has never been anything hostile. There will be a ton of arrests and fights at this one (win or lose).

Edited by Kirby Jackson