Pats Fan Nervous to come to the Ralph

JP's Voice

Just heard the guys on WGR talking about someone from NE asking if they would be in danger coming to the game Sunday. I'm all for a rowdy atmosphere and as a season ticket holder, I love the effect we can have on the game. But it's unfortunate that this fan probably IS in danger coming to the game wearing patriots gear. Most fans will not be idiots, but there are still a lot who will cause problems. Thoughts?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading on one of the pats forums where one person was going for the first time and people were all "don't expect to leave without getting drenched in beer" and a few others actually commented on how it was a good atmosphere and the fans were as respectful as to be expected when you visit another team.

i wouldn't wear any New England swag at the Ralph. I don't condone violence but a lot of alcohol can create an unstable environment. Patriots' fans aren't smart enough keep their mouths shut.

Edited by iinii

If there is danger, you can be sure big mouth Boston Sully brought it upon himself. Ive found being a bills fan at the meadowlands countless times that if you lay low and enjoy the game...people bother you much less. If youre a loudmouth arrogant rude cksucker in a Pats jersey...

Trouble should eventually find you.

I wouldn't recommend it... I've seen some embarrassing behavior towards opposing fans and this week should be the worst

I think where you are is a big factor to in terms of seating. The rock pile of pretty much a hate zone. I've seen more fights break out there between two bills fans than between opposing fans and bills fans.

This week is probably going to be very, very bad as far as harassment of opposing fans goes.

Myself, I've learned to direct my irrational disdain for NE**** toward the field, and not opposing fans, but I can say with certainty that a great number of my fellow Bills' fans have not.

I probably would go out of my way to be friendly to those around me if I were a Pats**** fan this week, and I'd have the stadium alert text number on speed dial.

Just heard the guys on WGR talking about someone from NE asking if they would be in danger coming to the game Sunday. I'm all for a rowdy atmosphere and as a season ticket holder, I love the effect we can have on the game. But it's unfortunate that this fan probably IS in danger coming to the game wearing patriots gear. Most fans will not be idiots, but there are still a lot who will cause problems. Thoughts?

Unfortunately it might be true for the Pats game, especially given all the loud-mouthing from the Boston media this week. In general, I think it has a lot to do with fan demeanor and a little to do with bad luck, if you happen to be sitting near a couple of asshat drunks

Unfortunately it might be true for the Pats game, especially given all the loud-mouthing from the Boston media this week. In general, I think it has a lot to do with fan demeanor and a little to do with bad luck, if you happen to be sitting near a couple of asshat drunks

I agree. I remember going to a sabres game against bruins and sat next to a couple that were from the visiting team. The people on the other side of them ragged on them for most of the 1st period (sabres fans). The guy and his gf were pretty much talking to me the entire time and ignoring them. By half way through the game the other guys ragging on them quit and were able to actually shoot the breeze as a group.

Sometimes people need to figure out for themselves that they are being an ass to change what they are doing.

Agreed. The alcohol (which I proudly consume) is the issue. I however don't utter a single swear word, don't harass anyone, don't act like a moron, etc. Not sure what the trigger is to drink and be a douche.

At the GB game, we had a really, really hammered person behind us. After one quarter of his horrific language we turned around and said next swear word out of your mouth, we're using the phone number to report him. He was quiet the rest of the day.

I know Cincinnati has that number (the Jerk line it's called) and it really curtailed rude behavior towards me at the 2011 loss in Week 4.

If the Bills win I don't think it will be that bad but if, somehow, the pats** put another beat down on us... It will get really really ugly.

Again, depends on the fan. I can see a bills fan all "oh how is brady going to cheat his way out of this one?"

I can also see the pats fan standing up making comments this and that.

Or there can be both bills and pats fans cheering for their team and ignoring the fact the other is there.

If it were any other teams QB that cheated I don't think it would as bad but since it was Brady this game already has a foul mood to it and it will only get worse once the game is being played.

Edited by The Wiz

Most of the interactions I've witnessed with opposing fans has been fairly good natured.

In the instances where fights or other negative situations happened, it usually started with the opposing team's fan being obnoxious/rude and looking to get into an argument. I've seen a few instances where drunken idiot Bills fans verbally harassed opposing fans. But the vast majority of the time, the opposing fans are treated with respect and show respect back to the Bills fans. If the opposing fans are planning on coming to the game looking for trouble, they can surely expect to find it. If they are coming to watch the game and have fun, they can probably find that too. You may have to ignore some rude comments, but I would not expect physical violence.

Again, depends on the fan. I can see a bills fan all "oh how is brady going to cheat his way out of this one?"

I can also see the pats fan standing up making comments this and that.

Or there can be both bills and pats fans cheering for their team and ignoring the fact the other is there.

Have you been to many Bills Pats*** games?

On Facebook I saw a Vikings fan jumped by SF fans...got to love that everyone has a video camera in hand all the time...but if two teams that are not rivals at all, from two peaceful places like Minnesota and San "flowers in their hair" fransico...then I'm going assume Buffalo will not be safe. I hope I'm wrong, orchard park's death rate seems to rise 8 weekends a year :-(

There were alot of Colts fans in my section (314) last week and there were on issues at all. I'm sure it helped the Bills were winning.

If the Patriots go up early or it's a blow-out it would be the most dangerous for fans if they are too obnoxious cheering.

about 3 in the past 10 years (last one was 2 years ago). Never had a single problem with any pats fans around me.

Neither have I, I just see it. What normally happens is fans come in optimistic and there will be some good natured ribbing of the Pats*** fans. Pats then start destroying Bills and fans get somber. Pats fans celebrate and Bills fans vitriol is directed towards them. Then bad things happen. This week should be even worse.

Neither have I, I just see it. What normally happens is fans come in optimistic and there will be some good natured ribbing of the Pats*** fans. Pats then start destroying Bills and fans get somber. Pats fans celebrate and Bills fans vitriol is directed towards them. Then bad things happen. This week should be even worse.

Well since that's what you meant. Yea, I have no doubt the yellow coats will be in full force Sunday.

A local friend who was disadvantaged by being born in Pats country took her kids to a Pats game at the Ralph either last season or the one before. They were all wearing pats gear. They were all, according to her (always known her to be a level headed honest person), harassed numerous times verbally and even physically in the parking lot by different groups of drunks to the point she feared for the physical safety of her kids. In the stadium as well.

i wouldn't wear any New England swag at the Ralph. I don't condone violence but a lot of alcohol can create an unstable environment. Patriots' fans aren't smart enough keep their mouths shut.

I wouldn't recommend it... I've seen some embarrassing behavior towards opposing fans and this week should be the worst

Both of these. I hope no innocent Pats**** fans get it too badly, but most of the problems Ive seen come from loud-mouthed Pats fans who want to rub it in.

With the burning hatred for the Pats, it's too easy for dumb drunk Bills fans to turn 10 years of building anger on to some poor sap in a Brady jersey.

I hate to blame the victim, but Pats fans should know to be on their best behavior and keep their skin thick enough to walk away from Bills fans that are just looking for a reason to escalate the conflict.

The only physical confrontation, and it wasn't much of one, was with a Bills fan at a game in Miami. Thought I was a Phins fan because I had a tan. Alcohol was the primary culprit.

It pretty much always is.

Both of these. I hope no innocent Pats**** fans get it too badly, but most of the problems Ive seen come from loud-mouthed Pats fans who want to rub it in.

With the burning hatred for the Pats, it's too easy for dumb drunk Bills fans to turn 10 years of building anger on to some poor sap in a Brady jersey.

I hate to blame the victim, but Pats fans should know to be on their best behavior and keep their skin thick enough to walk away from Bills fans that are just looking for a reason to escalate the conflict.

Then don't and put the blame where it belongs. It's only football. But that being said, a very wise man who goes to a lot of away games gave my son very good advice once ... there is no reason to paint a bullseye on yourself by wearing an away teams gear to a game.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The only time it's ever come close to getting physical with me was actually last year.

A Pats**** fan from Quebec was next to me in the tunnel to my section as I came back from the bathroom. Granted, I was annoyed at the time, but I was talking to the usher about what I felt was a bad officiating call...the Pats**** fan decided to use some choice words to describe me, Bills' fans in general, and the City of Buffalo. I reacted poorly to it, telling him exactly how I felt about his choice of words. He then offered to make it physical, at which time my better sense kicked in--I can't go getting arrested for pummeling this guy (and unless he was hiding some type of well-trained fighting background I would have...he was much smaller than me--which is a feat unto itself--and he was wasted).

I told him he was a waste of time and walked away. Good lesson for me to ignore the morons.

there are always a few azzhats in any crowd. My advice. Enjoy the game and don't be an azzhat yourself.

I was reading on one of the pats forums where one person was going for the first time and people were all "don't expect to leave without getting drenched in beer" and a few others actually commented on how it was a good atmosphere and the fans were as respectful as to be expected when you visit another team.

Depends if you are in the upper deck or lower deck.

Every stadium. Don't wear your team's jersey if you don't want to be harassed. Simple

I think it's more about just being respectful to the people around you. I know when I'm in hostile territory and just try to have fun with it. Strike up a conversation and compliment the stadium, colors, wife ass whatever. Make a friend early in the game and you'll be fine

I usually take it upon myself at Bills games to talk to opposing fans. I don't want to see a fight any more than they do and I usually tell them to just take everything in stride. It's just a game.

If they don't listen, well good luck to you

there are always a few azzhats in any crowd. My advice. Enjoy the game and don't be an azzhat yourself.

yup.

and generally, id hope if some innocent pats fan was getting it too badly, there are some good eggs that would say something.

one perk of record season ticket sales is you tend to get a chance to get to know the people around you. a little more of a community instead of a bunch of random people trying to really blow it out for a random sunday.

I've been to a couple 49er-Bills games in San Francisco and was well-treated by the locals.

I also went to the Bills-Miami playoff game in Miami many years ago. Mostly well-treated there too but a few Fin fans did get aggressive with the Bills fans in attendance.

I know Buffalo is the City of Good Neighbors but - unfortunately - Bills fans at the Ralph do have a reputation for drinking a little too much.

yup.

and generally, id hope if some innocent pats fan was getting it too badly, there are some good eggs that would say something.

one perk of record season ticket sales is you tend to get a chance to get to know the people around you. a little more of a community instead of a bunch of random people trying to really blow it out for a random sunday.

Yup. When I had seasons I know my group had to protect a few opposing fans from some real losers looking to go to jail over a game