Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

What is ironic about me saying that W-L record is not always the most pertinent way to gauge a QB's performance?

What is then? Passing stats? Because if so, Cassel doesn't look so great either, especially his last start.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post makes zero sense. Zero. I didn't say anything about EJ Manuel. I said that W-L record is an overrated way to judge a QB's performance. I think Tyrod Taylor is going to have a better record this season than Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning. That doesn't mean I think he's a better QB. I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to EJ.

I know that this whole QB thing has lingered all summer.......

But honestly folks.....ITS TT TIME

This is true and I frankly have no problem with the moves

Its Tyrod Time

it is indeed Tyrod Time and there is a game in FIVE days. Good move IMO to bring MC back at a low salary but the backup QB situation and who is 2nd or 3rd is not important to me at this point either. Starters win games.

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: EJ Manuel hasn't asked #Bills for a trade, says he's 'good where I'm at right now' http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/08/ej-manuel-hasnt-asked-bills-for-a-trade-says-hes-good-where-im-at-right-now/

Of course he hasn't asked for a trade Skurski. Thats because not one team sees him as a starter. he has zero leverage here. he is happy to be in the league I am sure. 3 rd string or not.

Cutting Cassel was a huge risk. You don't go from thinking you're making $4M to accepting a vet minimum salary easily and most guys would be pissed and go to another team for the same money.

Which makes me think it wasn't a big risk at all and they were very comfortable going with EJ as the #2 unless they could get Cassel back for peanuts.

Or Whaley went rogue again. Rex and coaches threatened him and they signed Cassel back. Whaley turns out to look good in this saving the money, and coaches got the guy they wanted back.

Whaley never went rogue. That has been firmly established.

Run along now.

Nope. :nana:

So Cassel actually has gotten better at running as he got older, not worse. Way to even prove that EJ is a worse runner than Cassel. Which he is actually.

Horseshit. They're essentially dead even at the point in their careers where they each had 14 starts. You're saying EJ would top out at less than 23 yards tops if he got another 56 starts? I'm not convinced of that. I am convinced that Cassel has a noodle arm.

Which makes me think it wasn't a big risk at all and they were very comfortable going with EJ as the #2 unless they could get Cassel back for peanuts.

I meant it was a risk cutting Cassel if they really wanted to keep him.

@mikerodak

Matt Cassel was caught off guard by Bills releasing him; had interest from other teams but wanted to stay in Buffalo: http://es.pn/1PZxUNm

Was just going to mention this. Anyone thinking EJ is about to be traded should chill out. The fact the Bills didn't even discuss the possibility of bringing Cassel back with him says they knew they might lose him. EJ is still a developmental QB and is in their future plans -- either to develop and trade (next year) or develop and play.

Edited by eball

Wow, what a BS move, a move made by a losing team, not a winning one.

To do that to EJ, completely shatter his confidence after giving him some hope about his future with the Bills.

Just got home and saw the headlines, so maybe reading about it will ease my mind, but on the surface at least it is the worst move this team has made in some time. Inexplicable.

Wow, what a BS move, a move made by a losing team, not a winning one.

To do that to EJ, completely shatter his confidence after giving him some hope about his future with the Bills.

Just got home and saw the headlines, so maybe reading about it will ease my mind, but on the surface at least it is the worst move this team has made in some time. Inexplicable.

Keeping a vet backup for considerably less money is inexplicable?

Some of you guys need to step away from the ledge.

I read and understood that. My point is that Whaley is sitting with Rex and Roman discussing the QBs and he says I'm considering releasing Matt and going with just EJ so we can try to lock up Dareus and Bradham. We have about a 50/50 chance of getting Matt back after he clears waivers.

Rex and Roman, to me, have one of three basic responses:

1] I'm cool with that overall, EJ can handle the #2 duties.

2] I'd prefer to keep Matt but I think EJ can handle it and if it came down to trying to improve our roster I won't fight you on it.

3] I really think this is risky. We need the vet here if TT goes down and the difference between Matt and EJ is measurable.

I would bet anything it was either one or two for both Rex and Roman and not three, otherwise Whaley would have acqueisced and said okay, if you feel strongly we won't risk losing him.

Discussion is also likely have been initiated by Whaley after Cassel lost the bid to start, and that he wasn't willing to invest $5 million in a back up. My guess the coaches didn't like the idea because it's clear they wanted a veteran on the team all along. So they reached a compromise - cut Cassel, have him see what the open market demands for his services and then try to bring him back on those terms if they fit the budget. If not, they would have still liked to bring in another vet if Cassel signed elsewhere.

Discussion is also likely have been initiated by Whaley after Cassel lost the bid to start, and that he wasn't willing to invest $5 million in a back up. My guess the coaches didn't like the idea because it's clear they wanted a veteran on the team all along. So they reached a compromise - cut Cassel, have him see what the open market demands for his services and then try to bring him back on those terms if they fit the budget. If not, they would have still liked to bring in another vet if Cassel signed elsewhere.

That's quite plausible. It's definitely a numbers game, and it's constantly fluid - albeit the viscosity changes from moment to moment.

EJ should be happy to stay. Where else could he go for this kind of money with an unproven situation at QB? Taylor deserves to start, but if it doesn't go well EJ is positioned for a shot at #1 by the end of the season or beginning of next. Meh is obviously an emergency QB not in the longterm plans of the franchise.

Obviously, 3rd isn't a dream spot for a former #1 pick. However, if you look deeper it ain't that bad place to be, either.

I dont like the move at all, cost savings besides the point. Journey man weak arm that just isnt a quality number 2. EJ must have had a terrible week of practice to be at the 3 string. I thought he looked good in the third game. We better hope Taylor plays well and doesnt get injured. Isnt it great 3 years after EJ was a number 1 pick he is sitting at the third string.

@mikerodak

Matt Cassel was caught off guard by Bills releasing him; had interest from other teams but wanted to stay in Buffalo: http://es.pn/1PZxUNm

I'm not buying the "had interest from other teams" line. I call B.S. on Cassel. He seemed to mention it rather nonchalantly in that piece.

I doubt anyone was seriously interested in him besides Buffalo. There would have been rumors that he was talking with other teams....

I am sure that EJ who is 10 pounds heavier than last also is no where near his combine numbers from 3 years ago. Again, Cassel is less of a statue than EJ. Not saying EJ is TT or RG3 but he is better running than Ej ever has been.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

I'm not buying the "had interest from other teams" line. I call B.S. on Cassel. He seemed to mention it rather nonchalantly in that piece.

I doubt anyone was seriously interested in him besides Buffalo. There would have been rumors that he was talking with other teams....

Like the Houston rumor.

going from what i saw of their pre-season appearances -

• both Cassel's and Manuel's potential to make positive plays exceed their potential to make negative plays
  • but Manuel's potential to make game-changing positive plays exceeds Cassel's

i'm surprised by the decision to resign Cassel

I'll play the game. In the following quote: What was going to follow the "....."?

"We brought Matt Cassel back,” Ryan said in an unscheduled meeting with reporters. “We said all along we like our three quarterbacks which is obvious. For your depth chart purposes Matt will be two, EJ [Manuel] will be three, but that means…. As I have said from day one we like all three of the guys and we never want to lose anybody obviously. So that is why we made the decision we did."

The "your depth chart" implies the one released to the media. The "but" implies that there is more to the depth chart than appearances. What that is, I do not know. But I will speculate for the fun of it. The Bills like to have Cassel with the ones in practices, running plays that are in the game plan. They think there is something of benefit to Tyrod to have Matt Cassel there with him during practices and reviewing the tape.

EJ will run the scout team because it's a better look for the D to defend a QB that can challenge them more and good for EJ because it gives him more reps that what the typical #2 gets. If they were actually going to miss/replace Tyrod for any significant amount of time, I don't know what the hell happens then. But if the answer to that is EJ, then what you have is an atypical #2/#3 situation which seems to be what Rex was starting to say and then didn't finish. #2 and #3 for the purposes of your (the press release roster) roster, but the Bills' situation is not what it seems. Somehow.

You may well be onto something, sir. Good post. :thumbsup:

I have gone through many different emotions regarding the Buffalo Bills QB situation over the last three seasons, but now I am genuinely starting to feel bad for EJ Manuel. As much as I'd love to see him perform well for the Bills, I think he needs to get out of here. Such blatant and undeserved (in my opinion, of course) disrespect.

I agree. These guys are just never going to give him a clear shot. He way outplayed Cassel in the pre-season, and now he's 3rd string? Just shows that Rex & Roman are not interested in an inherited QB.

I think EJ will prove to be a good QB, but unless both TT and Cassel stink up the joint or get injured, he ain't going to get the chance in Buffalo.

I think this is a more than fair assessment of the situation...I really do...

But it's not us that the Bills need to convince...And if I'm EJ, I'm pretty much tired of the whole experience with this team...If they can't even commit to him as the #2 then the writing is clearly on the wall...Unless they are selling something amazing to him that I don't know about...I think any human, no matter how good and positive, would be all-but-fed-up if they were put in EJ's shoes...Having Cassel in front of you as the starter would be hard enough...Having him in front of you as the #2 is a clear indication that you are going nowhere in Buffalo...Just my opinion... B-)

Grigorenko. ....

I hate hate hate this move! TT will now have an even shorter leash and will be looking over his shoulder all season worried he's going to get yanked. EJ is now nothing but a scout team QB. Another wasted year for him too.

we will see how they treat it. could be a great resource to have for cheap, could end up misused. i wont assume the worst yet.

I like the move of getting back Cassell. He is a known entity, game manager QB. He is also a older QB that the two younger QB's can lean on. I also don't think he is really QB2. I think they have him listed as QB2 to give Tyrod a little more confidence. EJ is a bit more of a long term threat, by listing a middling vet as the backup you give Tyrod a little more confidence at his position.

I can't wait until the Tie Rod people turn on him, as they did when their golden boy Orton failed. It is, what it is. I for one would love Taylor to shut me up and take us to the playoffs. We as fans deserve that much. Honestly, I couldn't care less who the QB is. I find it a shame that EJ has been treated so poorly. Hopefully he keeps working and turns into the guy we though we drafted.

Edited by DirtDart

Keeping a vet backup for considerably less money is inexplicable?

Some of you guys need to step away from the ledge.

It is the naming of Cassel as the backup that is inexplicable--after he was cut, after EJ was announced as the backup, and it seemed that the Bills were set with their #1 and 2. This is the kind of BS move that weak teams make, a Redskins kind of move. It will come back to haunt the Bills in my view.

Reminds me of the Lynch treatment and trade a few years ago, one I said was the worst move I had ever seen the Bills make. Good sports teams use and treat their talent wisely, not like this.

I hope Taylor is great this week and this year, but his arm strength concerns me. If he doesn't work out now Matt Cassel steps in! Yikes. Did our eyes deceive us in the preseason?

I like the move of getting back Cassell. He is a known entity, game manager QB. He is also a older QB that the two younger QB's can lean on. I also don't think he is really QB2. I think they have him listed as QB2 to give Tyrod a little more confidence. EJ is a bit more of a long term threat, by listing a middling vet as the backup you give Tyrod a little more confidence at his position.

This is a really interesting take, and I hope that you are correct. And that EJ is well aware of it if true.

It is the naming of Cassel as the backup that is inexplicable--after he was cut, after EJ was announced as the backup, and it seemed that the Bills were set with their #1 and 2. This is the kind of BS move that weak teams make, a Redskins kind of move. It will come back to haunt the Bills in my view.

Reminds me of the Lynch treatment and trade a few years ago, one I said was the worst move I had ever seen the Bills make. Good sports teams use and treat their talent wisely, not like this.

I hope Taylor is great this week and this year, but his arm strength concerns me. If he doesn't work out now Matt Cassel steps in! Yikes. Did our eyes deceive us in the preseason?

The team never named EJ #2. The media did. Not that I don't agree with your sentiment but they never said he is the #2 qb.

all three are professional athletes, and their financial compensation should be more than enough to comfort their egos when they feel slighted by their coaches.

as a pragmatic fan of this team, my only concern is that this staff deploys it's talent in the most efficient way. i understand that Roman and Harbaugh revived Alex Smith's career in Frisco, before catching Kaep lightning in a bottle. But as good as Ryan may be with a defense, he's no Harbaugh.. so hopefully he's deferring to Roman on which offensive personnel needs to be prepared for game day. the #2 gets reps with the starting O during the week - by all accounts, not many - but he gets them. the #3 gets none. leading the scout team doesn't prepare anyone for the opponent, so when and if Taylor leaves - Cassel goes in.

so again, what does Roman see in Cassel's game that warrants his being the second option? the Buffalo media is a joke. if they understood a little bit about the game, they may ask the right questions, and not continue to be embarrassed when reality trumps their speculation. they may as well post here.. it's where they belong.

I can't wait until the Tie Rod people turn on him, as they did when their golden boy Orton failed. It is, what it is. I for one would love Taylor to shut me up and take us to the playoffs. We as fans deserve that much. Honestly, I couldn't care less who the QB is. I find it a shame that EJ has been treated so poorly. Hopefully he keeps working and turns into the guy we though we drafted.

At this point I think EJ is being treated the way he should have been when he came into the league. He's sitting back and learning. I hoped he would get a shot this year but that looks doubtful unless TT either lays an egg or gets hurt. They are developing him the right way at this point. I know many would prefer him to be #1 or #2 but he doesn't need to be at this point (considering the Syracuse University training he received his first 2 years).