Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Hard to come to any other conclusion but that EJ's time in Buffalo is nearly over. Cassel #2? Seriously? I'm all in favor of signing him for less money, nice move #FullWhaley. But enough with the "experienced vet" crap already. Experienced vets should be able to read a defense more than 5 yards upfield. Cassel as #2 is just sickening. Looks like the only way EJ sticks is to have a 2013 like season where the top 2 guys go down. Crappy way to think about the season. Meh.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanted to screw with the opposing team, you could start a different quarterback every week, just like preseason.

Or rotate them in and out if one of them isn't having a great game. What is the downside to that?

I'm surprised teams don't do this already - there's no rule you have to stick with one quarterback. Even if you have a blue chip like Aaron Rodgers, why expose your best quarterback for entire games if you don't need to?

See 2013 Buffalo Bills (EJ, Thad, Tuel). That's why you don't do it.

Even 2nd QB rarely gets any practice reps.

Yep. That's why EJ is #3. He'll run the scout team during the week, and continue to develop.

We all know Cassel can't develop any more beyond his current ability to be a dink and dunk game manager.

Oh, and we know he throws an awesome Hail Mary. Makes his coaches want to drink a few Bloody Marys.

Yep. That's why EJ is #3. He'll run the scout team during the week, and continue to develop.

We all know Cassel can't develop any more beyond his current ability to be a dink and dunk game manager.

Oh, and we know he throws an awesome Hail Mary. Makes his coaches want to drink a few Bloody Marys.

Unleash Diana on Cassel?

If you wanted to screw with the opposing team, you could start a different quarterback every week, just like preseason.

Or rotate them in and out if one of them isn't having a great game. What is the downside to that?

I'm surprised teams don't do this already - there's no rule you have to stick with one quarterback. Even if you have a blue chip like Aaron Rodgers, why expose your best quarterback for entire games if you don't need to?

i... well... uh....

are you saying that the packers should limit rodgers touches?

This is good for TT and EJ during week. Veteran presence they can learn from during week and during games.

Only thing I don't like is EJ doesn't dress now. Hope he stays focused.

I really doubt EJ is going to see it that way...

Yesterday he was the clear cut #2 QB...Now he has to take a backseat to an average vet QB yet again...

Oh well...We'll see in time...I was never 100% convinced EJ was a shoe-in to develop into a solid NFL QB...I was however VERY encouraged based on what I saw this year...And I think EJ's upside is sky high...Thing is...It's looking like we're only really going to get the answers on EJ when he is playing for another team...

On the plus side EJ will handle this with class like he does everything...But I agree with those who are predicting this does not bode well for his future in Buffalo...Unless of course some really bad things happen and he gets his shot this year... B-)

I look at it like EJ is the better overall quarterback while Cassel is the more reliable. As a starter I much prefer EJ, but the backup job isn't about upside to me as much as it is limiting downside. Cassel won't win on his own but his style and strengths lend themselves to giving the rest of the team the chance to elevate their game and find a way to win. EJ is capable of astonishing things but you don't know what you're getting on a given day- he could give you zero chance to win like he did in Houston.

As others have said, if Tyrod is out multiple weeks I much prefer EJ, he keeps the whole playbook open and unlike Cassel has a shot to be really good. If it's an in-game replacement I prefer Cassel, you know the ball will come out on time and accurately and you'll still have a chance to win that day.

Edited by Aaron

i don't think it was because he had a veteran backup QB... Don't a lot of teams have that?

It's a gut feeling, this move does not inspire confidence. Shows lack of confidence in TT and EJM. I don't have much to say except lets start the season. Show us what you got, Bills.

Here it comes...

This from the guy whose role model is Kyle Orton...

Not unreasonable at all!

I can just hear the old dinosaur media types now........I'll spare you the narrative you already have heard it

I look at it like EJ is the better overall quarterback but Cassel the more reliable. As a starter I much prefer EJ, but the backup job isn't about upside to me as much as it is limiting downside. Cassel won't win on his own but his style and strengths lend themselves to giving the rest of the team the chance to elevate their game and find a way to win. EJ is capable of astonishing things but you don't know what you're getting on a given day- he could give you zero chance to win like he did in Houston.

As others have said, if Tyrod is out multiple weeks I much prefer EJ, he keeps the whole playbook open and unlike Cassel has a shot to be really good. If it's an in-game replacement I prefer Cassel, you know the ball will come out on time and accurately and you'll still have a chance to win that day.

No, EJM actually has worse numbers from an athletic standpoint than Cassel. Common falicy that was typed here and all believe. Just because EJ ran in college, doesn't mean he is capable in the NFL.