Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how hard it is for anyone to see that since 1] TT beat both out by a small margin, 2] Cassel proved to be Cassel and had a 4.25m contract, and 3] EJ showed substantial improvement, enough to be considered long term and a viable #2 that the Bills would NOT want Cassel at 4.25m but would want him at 650K or however much the actual salary cap will be, which is at most $300K more than the guy who would take his roster spot. It's easy to understand and has little to do with what they think of EJ. It's the coaches and the team deciding what roster makes the team better.

I don't see how hard it is for anyone to see that since 1] TT beat both out by a small margin, 2] Cassel proved to be Cassel and had a 4.25m contract, and 3] EJ showed substantial improvement, enough to be considered long term and a viable #2 that the Bills would NOT want Cassel at 4.25m but would want him at 650K or however much the actual salary cap will be, which is at most $300K more than the guy who would take his roster spot. It's easy to understand and has little to do with what they think of EJ. It's the coaches and the team deciding what roster makes the team better.

Not dramatic enough.

I think this is a more than fair assessment of the situation...I really do...

But it's not us that the Bills need to convince...And if I'm EJ, I'm pretty much tired of the whole experience with this team...If they can't even commit to him as the #2 then the writing is clearly on the wall...Unless they are selling something amazing to him that I don't know about...I think any human, no matter how good and positive, would be all-but-fed-up if they were put in EJ's shoes...Having Cassel in front of you as the starter would be hard enough...Having him in front of you as the #2 is a clear indication that you are going nowhere in Buffalo...Just my opinion... B-)

I think this is right.

I am not a lover of this move I have to say.

Going against the prevailing sentiment here, neither am I.

Not sure how E.J being the number three helps his development. Will running the scout team be enough to keep him on the upward path he took this year? That's a major question for me right now.

I'd much rather have E.J. suited up on game day and absorbing the live action, even if he's holding a clipboard. Sitting in the pressbox, removed from his teammates is not development, IMO...

I think this is a more than fair assessment of the situation...I really do...

But it's not us that the Bills need to convince...And if I'm EJ, I'm pretty much tired of the whole experience with this team...If they can't even commit to him as the #2 then the writing is clearly on the wall...Unless they are selling something amazing to him that I don't know about...I think any human, no matter how good and positive, would be all-but-fed-up if they were put in EJ's shoes...Having Cassel in front of you as the starter would be hard enough...Having him in front of you as the #2 is a clear indication that you are going nowhere in Buffalo...Just my opinion... B-)

I feel you. I imagine before the preseason, if EJ put some goals on paper on how well he could see himself playing, he would have exceeded those goals. It's got to be frustrating to make that much progress and still have no chance to play.

Going against the prevailing sentiment here, neither am I.

Not sure how E.J being the number three helps his development. Will running the scout team be enough to keep him on the upward path he took this year? That's a major question for me right now.

I'd much rather have E.J. suited up on game day and absorbing the live action, even if he's holding a clipboard. Sitting in the pressbox, removed from his teammates is not development, IMO...

That could be. I don't know either way. A good veteran QB who has played recently in the league and is known as a smart guy who readily shares info with his teammates is known to be a good factor, however. I think he loses something and he gains something. I also think there is a decent chance that all three play at some point this year, and Cassel is a good guy to have on the roster and sidelines and QB room at his low price.

They should mercifully release EJ Manuel now. He played well in this "competition" and will get nothing out of being 3rd string. Just let him go so that he can try to catch on with another team - it is clear that the Bills' don't want him.

The team >>>>>>>>>> The player.

If it's in the Bills' best interests to keep him as the #3 QB, then he's not going anywhere.

I feel you. I imagine before the preseason, if EJ put some goals on paper on how well he could see himself playing, he would have exceeded those goals. It's got to be frustrating to make that much progress and still have no chance to play.

well...footwork and pre-snap reads/communication were still issues. He was certainly better, but I'm not sure he exceeded every specific goal. Only EJ and his coaches know.

Yep. It's pretty evident now that he's the odd man out.

Cassel only on a one year deal. But bills will need to make a decision on picking up ej's 5th year option in May. Looking very unlikely at this point. Would be too pricey of an option year for a 1st rd QB even if he's the #2. I would think they keep him through his contract and then he can sign wherever as a FA. Unless some team offers a great deal in a trade before then.

He could end up in a position like TT where a team without a QB signs him in FA with a legit chance to win job.

That's all I'm saying...he's human...I don't see any way, based on how things played out and how much EJ obviously improved, he could feel anything other than pretty bitter disappointment...I mean...Go back and listen to everything Roman and Rex said about him during camp...It was fairly clear they were happy with EJ's development...Then all this and he's still #3? If I was EJ I would be begging out of Buffalo at this point...Especially considering the fact that he lost out to Cassel who is absolutely not the future in Buffalo...If I was EJ I would be pretty insulted to be perfectly honest... B-)

I should hope so. This is not a distraction they need this week...

True...But they sure as heck asked for it based on their actions would you not say? And I'm not even saying I disagree with what they did...Especially concerning the cap dollars saved...But still...It's not like this was good for EJ purely from a "how it looks" standpoint...

Good thing they know EJ is a classy guy who is going to put team 1st 100% of the time... B-)

distractions are never good but I don't think the QB who is playing is distracted (other than by fake TMZ reports)

Wait for the national media to have a field day on this though ("Bills not sold on unproven TT, bring back verteran"..."QB chaos in Buffalo"..."TT, what do you think about this move?" and on and on).

TT better have blinders on and live in a soundproof room until Sunday...

Edited by Lurker