Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true BFFE, but this is not enough to pull the trigger imo. I would want at least a 3rd. And the truth is that the above doesn't say much for EJ. :(

when the whole of the media 90% say he sucks a 3rd won't be had. (sarc)

Those who actually evaluate football may be willing to go for an upper pound pick. Might be able to pull off a 3rd contingent on W/L record etc.

It appears that the EJ era is over if he's not even the backup QB so the only way I see him being the starter again is if both TT and Cassel go down with injuries or both are complete abominations.

I can see EJ being the starter if TT goes down and then MC can tutor EJ.

based on this v

@SalSports: Roman: Cassel best suited at this moment to be backup QB. But we feel confident in EJ. See where it goes down the road.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

EJ will not be traded IMO. His contract is fully guaranteed and is a sunk cost. I agree with those who say his trade value is at best a 5th, probably worse. I don't see Whaley going for that. I think EJ still has more value as a prospect than a late round selection. Bills will continue to evaluate him and if he can build on his good PSeason showing things could open up for him as early as next year.

I can see EJ being the starter if TT goes down and then MC can tutor EJ.

based on this v

Possibly..i guess it would also depend on where we are with our W/L record. If TT goes down and we're 4-2 or 5-3 I would fully expect MC to go in there. If TT goes down and we're 3-5 or 3-6 maybe EJ goes in there.

They should mercifully release EJ Manuel now. He played well in this "competition" and will get nothing out of being 3rd string. Just let him go so that he can try to catch on with another team - it is clear that the Bills' don't want him.

How is it clear? They were willing to let Matt Cassel sign with another team. They weren't willing to do that with EJ.

You know all those guys at Wgr are patting themselves on the back while simultaneously breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't have to change their perception since training camp.

And why shouldn't they?

At the end of the day, their analysis was correct. Cassell was higher up the depth chart than EJ in the coaches' eyes. They just couldn't predict the roster machinations to get Cassell's salary down.

I think they wanted Cassel back and if they got in a fight with Houston, they may have had to throw in #2. It's just on paper and the Bills don't have to follow it.

I'm sure he didn't want to be the scout team QB either, so they said yes your number two. At least that's what I am hoping happened.