Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Hahaha no I wasn't. I've been on here. Sorry, I had some friends in town, went to a bunch of phish shows and had my fantasy draft last night. I'm back. Anything you care to ask me?

And yeah keep perpetuating this myth that I hate EJ and love Cassel. I have said that I thought EJ did enough to earn the #2 job but I would've kept Cassel as a #3, ideally at a reduced salary. In fact, thinking EJ had earned the #2 spot is the first thing I've been wrong about in quite some time.

At Dicks sporting goods park? Bunch o my peeps were there as well. Being anchored in B-lo I, unfortunately was not.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. 364 posts in that thread that FC linked to and you don't have one of them. He and the other Cassel fanboys didn't start posting till the end and it got so pizzy the thread got closed. You probably have the most organized sock drawer of any Bills fan. :nana:

Run along now.

I agree with the position that Cassel goes in as the number two on game days. And if Taylor goes down for any real length of time, unless Cassel lights it up, that EJ would later start the rest of the season.

Yep, this is what I said a few weeks ago. I was surprised the cut Cassel after all the "we're keeping 3 QBs" talk. Having a vet presence in the locker and film rooms in invaluable. I don't ever want the guy to start but he can be a valuable member of the team in other ways, including coming off the bench if TT gets hurt.

he isn't subject to waivers. He had other offers but chose to come back to Bills. One reason he cited is timing - wife 8 months pregnant.

This makes a ton of sense. He won't have to learn a new playbook or compete for a new roster spot while his wife is expecting.

Plus with that Christmas bonus he can put the down payment in on that swimming pool... The last true family man.

Backup QB is probably a nice low stress level role for a daddy to be.

i like the move.. no faith in EJ. cassel seems like the proverbial "game manager" .. would hate to piss away another season where the D is dominating Teams .. JMHO..

Really? In their last 14 starts (also, EJ's FIRST 14 starts), Manuel's record is 6-8 (including a loss in the Cleveland game that he left the field leading) and Cassel's is 4-10. It's pretty amazing to me that people for whatever reason hold this opinion.

Also, scroll to the bottom of this page, and let me know how you feel about Cassel's game managing (I'll give you a hint, he's averaged 145 passing yards in his last 5 starts): http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00/gamelog//

Buffalo media, always working hard to make sure someone is bummed out:

@salmaiorana

I talked to EJ Manuel after his media scrum and just said the NFL is a cruel business, isn't it? And he said, "It is." But he remains upbeat

Edited by Heitz

Matt Cassel will not bring the Buffalo Bills to the promised land.

Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Thad Lewis, Tyler Thigpen, Ryan Fitzpartick, Drew Bledsoe. When you repeat the same mistakes over and over ...

Call me crazy

2013 EJ

2014 EJ

2015 Not EJ, I think they are learning over there at 1 Bills Dr.

Look Matt Cassel sucks. But there is something to be said for having a guy in the QB room who's been around the block a few times. I was surprised they were prepared to go into a season with a guy who had never started an NFL game and a guy who completely sucked the last time he played in NFL games as their only two QB's on their roster. I wouldn't even be surprised if Taylor got hurt, if they had EJ start and Cassel back him up. I just think for right now, you need a veteran presence in that room.

Didn't you just say that EJ deserves to be #3.

Now the implication is that Matt the Mentor will be #2 to whomever is #1 be it TT or EJ.

Funny, I just said that an hour or 2 ago. Matt the Mentor will be #2 to whomever is the #1 QB.

Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Thad Lewis, Tyler Thigpen, Ryan Fitzpartick, Drew Bledsoe. When you repeat the same mistakes over and over ...

Call me crazy

Matt Cassel is the Bills backup QB. He's a perfectly good backup QB. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that he is a prototypical backup QB. Are the Packers counting on Scott Tolzien to take them to the promised land this season?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Buffalo media, always working hard to make sure someone is bummed out:

you can always count on that Sal guy for a tweet like that!

Call me crazy

huh? He's the backup, not the starter.

I purposely picked the stats from their first 14 games.

Cassel had 14 games as a backup for four years to Brady***.

Then I picked Cassel's first 14 starts. That's what I picked - in order to be fair.

EJ hasn't had as many games as Cassel has, he's not as old, and he throws a football about five times as far as Cassel can.

So Cassel actually has gotten better at running as he got older, not worse. Way to even prove that EJ is a worse runner than Cassel. Which he is actually.

This makes a ton of sense. He won't have to learn a new playbook or compete for a new roster spot while his wife is expecting.

Plus with that Christmas bonus he can put the down payment in on that swimming pool... The last true family man.

Backup QB is probably a nice low stress level role for a daddy to be.

After taking a 75% pay cut, it's more like a one year membership in the jelly-of-the-month club. But to his credit, I didn't think he'd accept it.

BTW, anyone seen the Pegulas lately?