Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Whaley is so good at what he does and clowning you haters. Some of us just not ready to accept how capable our organization is now.

Maybe, but this wasn't genius. Standard operating procedure for GM's, they should have done it w Tarvaris too, could have saved some cake.

Its much easier to negotiate a fair salary after you waive someone for a few weeks. Cassel and his agent saw this coming Im sure, hopefully TT rocks it under center and we never see matt take the field.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it comes...

Here what comes? Are you excited about Matt Cassel? Am I missing something? All of the sudden because the Bills were able to essentially restructure his deal (evidence that no other team wanted him more than league minimum, mind you) I'm supposed to be excited he's on the roster?

This is good for TT and EJ during week. Veteran presence they can learn from during week and during games.

Might not be a bad thing for Taylor, but there is no way in hell it is a good thing for Manuel. He has seen how Cassel has performed all during camp and the preseason. To have the Bills list Manuel as #3 behind Cassel, who the Bills let go confident that no one would offer him even league minimum so they could save some money, tells Manuel exactly what Rex and Roman think of his abilities.

Edited by CodeMonkey

No, EJM actually has worse numbers from an athletic standpoint than Cassel. Common falicy that was typed here and all believe. Just because EJ ran in college, doesn't mean he is capable in the NFL.

Are you referring to the combine numbers?

Because I'm sure Cassel is still close to his numbers from 11 years ago.

It's a gut feeling, this move does not inspire confidence. Shows lack of confidence in TT and EJM. I don't have much to say except lets start the season. Show us what you got, Bills.

I think it shows that the original deal was bad. It also shows confidence because they weren't desperate to keep a vet backup at $4 mil.

Its much easier to negotiate a fair salary after you waive someone for a few weeks. Cassel and his agent saw this coming Im sure, hopefully TT rocks it under center and we never see matt take the field.

This is where I am at. I hate that we haven't had a franchise QB, and over the years the backup has always been the most popular player. I just want Taylor to step it up so that we don't have to constantly hear about bringing in Cassel, or worse, actually bring in Cassel.

No, EJM actually has worse numbers from an athletic standpoint than Cassel. Common falicy that was typed here and all believe. Just because EJ ran in college, doesn't mean he is capable in the NFL.

I wasn't thinking of running when I typed that, I don't think the mobility is key to Roman's system the way some do. He has an enormous playbook and I don't think he'd have a problem simply ignoring the QB running plays.

Cassel limits the playbook because he doesn't throw downfield very well. That's what I mean by EJ keeps the whole playbook open- you don't have to go into Chan/Fitz mode where everything is horizontal and the defense can creep up to the LOS. With Cassel this becomes a possibility to keep in mind.

How about 2009 when Cassel went 4-11 for the Chiefs, or 2011 when he went 4-5, and then there was the 2012 season in which he went 1-7 with 6 TD's, 12 INT's

If the guy is playing in a NE style offense with an ex Patriot OC then he might do well.

I can understand bringing him back to a degree to help the younger players. Just not as 2nd string. Should anything happen to TT I can see things going south very quickly.

Are you referring to the combine numbers?

Because I'm sure Cassel is still close to his numbers from 11 years ago.

I am sure that EJ who is 10 pounds heavier than last also is no where near his combine numbers from 3 years ago. Again, Cassel is less of a statue than EJ. Not saying EJ is TT or RG3 but he is better running than Ej ever has been.

I am sure that EJ who is 10 pounds heavier than last also is no where near his combine numbers from 3 years ago. Again, Cassel is less of a statue than EJ. Not saying EJ is TT or RG3 but he is better running than Ej ever has been.

...are you joking? I can't tell. If not, please get help.

...are you joking? I can't tell. If not, please get help.

It's actually true. Look it up.

Cassel averages 3.8 yards carry. EJM averages 3.4

Also, his combine numbers were a lot closer to TT than they were to EJM who looked like Tom Brady by the numbers.

Also, his combine numbers were a lot closer to TT than they were to EJM who looked like Tom Brady by the numbers.

This is like one of those "Brilliant" Matthew Coller assessments based solely on numbers vs. what your eyes actually tell you.

I don't think EJ is all that mobile, at least not from what I've seen with the Bills. I would still give him the edge over Cassel.

Wow, you're serious, aren't you?

I like the move. Cassel is floor insurance. The floors for both TT and EJ are uninsurable. They may both end up way better than Cassel - God, I hope so. But they could both totally tank as well.

If Cassel is seriously the number 2 QB, this will cut down on EJ's reps in practice, which is not insignificant. Even if EJ is the long-term #2 in case of injury to Tyrod, the practice part will slow down his development.

Although maybe running the scout team gives you more reps?

Typically running the scout team would be the role for the number 3 guy. This will actually mean more reps for EJ, against the Bills D on a daily basis. If this had been his role from the beginning, he would be much farther along by now. It is not the worst thing for him, although I am sure he is disappointed. Lets see how it plays out. I am not convinced they would go with Cassel if Taylor sustains a long term injury.