Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

It wasn't guaranteed he would be back, they had to outbid Houston.

@viccarucci: Hearing #Bills offered a better deal to Matt Cassel than #Texans w bonus structure that could potentially recoup most of lost pay.

The question now is, who is 2nd to Taylor on Sunday?

Good question.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called being so fully invested in your position to the point that you are too far gone to come back. This clown, among others here on this board, are so far down the "EJ will NEVER be a competent starting QB" road that they simply cannot return. Not enough fuel to get back. So on they plod. There are those in the media that are essentially in that very same same place.

Tyler Dunne from the News continues to bang the drum as well. Did you know EJ actually threw a pass that bounced into a hospitality tent and also hit a camera man on the sideline with another?????? Heavens to Betsy, it's a twister, it's a twister Auntie Em!! Oh, and Lordy Lordy, he fumbled some shotgun snaps in practice!! Oh the humanity. I SAW some of the snaps he was getting from second and third string centers early on and they weren't pretty, but why let a little fact like that get in the way of a narrative that you have invested yourself deeply within.

Matt Coller at GR is another one. The analytics boy wonder genius who believes numbers tell you everything you need to know about a guy, and they tell him that EJ cannot possibly improve enough to be good.

So of course, the ONLY reason why EJ is still on the team, or worse yet, that he was actually kept in lieu of Cassel at second string is because Whaley is committed to keeping HIS guy. No other explanation for it, boy howdy.

The only guy who was heavily invested in this narrative and yet had the huevos to give credit where credit was due was Joe B. And Sal C actually conceded that he was caught up in the group think that was going on out there at SJF as well, and was outright supportive of releasing Cassel. Human nature makes some people pathetically funny, because they just can't help themselves.

#NeverForget

Edited by FireChan

Weird, I would have thought EJ number 2 to go in if TT hurt during game, Cassell starts next game. Seem abilities similar, so game plan more effective in game.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. But what the hell do we know, Paul!

I agree with the position that Cassel goes in as the number two on game days. And if Taylor goes down for any real length of time, unless Cassel lights it up, that EJ would later start the rest of the season. The team obviously was comfortable with EJ being the number two because they had no assurances whatsoever that Cassel would not take another offer. It's also possible he said he wanted to be #2 or he wouldn't sign and they gave it to him.

The way I see it, if TT gets hurt during the game you bring in Cassel as the closer. If TT is out the next week you prepare EJ as the starter (unless Cassel lights it up).

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

Oh RT @buffalobills: Rex Ryan confirms the QB depth chart: QB 1: Tyrod Taylor QB 2: Matt Cassel QB 3: EJ Manuel

Just like Chuck Wagon said in the post above yours.

It makes sense, if TT goes down/out late in a game to bring in Cassel because his game plan is to sit on the ball.

If TT went out early, I think they'd bring in EJ so they don't have to **** can the entire game plan.

If TT goes out for an extended period of weeks, the coaches will have time to adjust.

Weird, I would have thought EJ number 2 to go in if TT hurt during game, Cassell starts next game. Seem abilities similar, so game plan more effective in game.

I see it possibly being the other way around. Cassel can come in if something happens to TT and EJ gets the go the following week (or they just roll with Cassel).

Edited by The Wiz

I'd rather see EJ at #2 too. Oh well, he'll still most likely be starting if TT gets hurt/demoted.

I agree with the position that Cassel goes in as the number two on game days. And if Taylor goes down for any real length of time, unless Cassel lights it up, that EJ would later start the rest of the season. The team obviously was comfortable with EJ being the number two because they had no assurances whatsoever that Cassel would not take another offer. It's also possible he said he wanted to be #2 or he wouldn't sign and they gave it to him.

I think this is right.

I am not a lover of this move I have to say.

Just like Chuck Wagon said in the post above yours.

It makes sense, if TT goes down/out late in a game to bring in Cassel because his game plan is to sit on the ball.

If TT went out early, I think they'd bring in EJ so they don't have to **** can the entire game plan.

If TT goes out for an extended period of weeks, the coaches will have time to adjust.

Yep. Cassel being an experienced vet makes him a better choice for an emergency no-notice start.