Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the question is, why wouldn't a Bills fan be "pro EJ?"

He's young, he's a good kid, hard worker, has great physical tools and a ceiling that's pretty high. Sure, he hasn't put it all together yet (and my never) but he sounds like a player all Bills fans should be behind. He's the last player that should cause a division between fans.

no one is divided on the type of person he is. The division is strictly on his ability. EverystinkinBills fan wanted/wants EJ to be successful, but, there comes a time when you decide it's time to move on. That's the divide, the hangers on vs the movin on.

I guess the question is, why wouldn't a Bills fan be "pro EJ?"

He's young, he's a good kid, hard worker, has great physical tools and a ceiling that's pretty high. Sure, he hasn't put it all together yet (and my never) but he sounds like a player all Bills fans should be behind. He's the last player that should cause a division between fans.

if he shows improvement + signs of being the answer, I think the vast majority of Bills fans would support him no doubt. But it doesn't matter how likeable and a nice guy he is if he keeps sh$#ing the bed on the field. Very, very few people in the fanbase have any use or time for that, especially considering the playoff drought. Actually, I think it's a smart move not starting him the 1st home pre-season game. This may be a different coaching staff, but last season's debacle against Tampa Bay where he was soundly booed off the field was embarrassing & I don't think too easily forgotten by the front office... you don't want to repeat that if he's not quite ready. Run him with the 3's and if he looks good, give him more work on the road with either the 2's or 1's next week.

if he shows improvement + signs of being the answer, I think the vast majority of Bills fans would support him no doubt. But it doesn't matter how likeable and a nice guy he is if he keeps sh$#ing the bed on the field. Very, very few people in the fanbase have any use or time for that, especially considering the playoff drought. Actually, I think it's a smart move not starting him the 1st home pre-season game. This may be a different coaching staff, but last season's debacle against Tampa Bay where he was soundly booed off the field was embarrassing & I don't think too easily forgotten by the front office... you don't want to repeat that if he's not quite ready. Run him with the 3's and if he looks good, give him more work on the road with either the 2's or 1's next week.

They played Tampa two years ago in Tampa. Whether he was booed of the field or not isn't my call since I wasn't in Tampa but get your facts right.

Ah yes, the old Blaine Gabbert flip. I think so.

It's pathetic I know but that's his worth at best imo. Boy did we screw this up. They spend a 1st and maybe get back a 6th or 7th much like the Jags but that was even a bigger negative for them.

It's pathetic I know but that's his worth at best imo. Boy did we screw this up. They spend a 1st and maybe get back a 6th or 7th much like the Jags but that was even a bigger negative for them.

Yeah, it's not like 5 out of 6 1st round QBs don't pan out. What a massive screw up!

1st home pre-season game last year was against Tampa Bay.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1576854949

I was at the game and was one of the "boo-ers." I was booing the entire offense + coaching staff for looking so unprepared to play football afer having looked bad in the HOF game. Receivers that quit routes, slipped on the their breaks and an o-line that took three consecutive penalties are amongst my recollections. The offensive line that day was a sign of trouble to come. So for you to say that the crowd was booing just EJ is a bit presumptive. The 1st team o did start the second half and played well against whomever Tampa Bay was playing.

Like I said. I wouldn't read too much into this, Tyrod will get the next start and Manuel will get start number 3 and starter will be figured out by week 4 of preseason.

I strongly doubt it. Manuel got his start in the scrimmage. Whomever starts game 3 will be the guy the coaching staff is trying to get ready for the regular season. Preseason game #4 is for the bubble players to sort themselves out.

In fact, if Manuel is still taking reps with the 3rd team this week you could make the case that the competition is already down to Cassel vs Taylor.

Edited by vincec

EJ is a great kid, has good size, good work ethic and would be a good leader but his throws are off the mark. You can't teach him to be more accurate. He will have to improve that on his own. I like him but if he can't produce on a regular basis he won't be here much longer. I know he does have flashes of brilliance on occasion but they are too far and between. In my humble opinion (which I know doesn't mean squat) Tyrod is more valuable. He keeps the defense honest because he can run. Defenses are going to have to take it in to account and have somebody on him, and that might leave somebody else open. I wish EJ well and I hope he succeeds, just not against us!

EJ is a great kid, has good size, good work ethic and would be a good leader but his throws are off the mark. You can't teach him to be more accurate. He will have to improve that on his own. I like him but if he can't produce on a regular basis he won't be here much longer. I know he does have flashes of brilliance on occasion but they are too far and between. In my humble opinion (which I know doesn't mean squat) Tyrod is more valuable. He keeps the defense honest because he can run. Defenses are going to have to take it in to account and have somebody on him, and that might leave somebody else open. I wish EJ well and I hope he succeeds, just not against us!

He's been making accurate, downfield throws in the blue/white game and last night. It might be a sign of some degree of improvement so there's that.

I think back to the coaching search and how Whaley was reportedly talking up EJ and saying how the previous staff did him no favors. Rex is hired and says something to the effect that there was a "need to develop EJ." It's almost like buying into that was a condition of employment. Removing EJ from the competiton but keeping him on the roster would be consistent with that. Cutting him would not.

Like I said. I wouldn't read too much into this, Tyrod will get the next start and Manuel will get start number 3 and starter will be figured out by week 4 of preseason.

No actually the media asked Rex last night if Tyrod starting next week meant that EJ starts game 3.

He stammered a bit and decided that.....no.....it doesn't mean EJ will start game 3.

Then after a couple moments of talking he remembered that EJ got the start in the scrimmage........so basically I think he's good on seeing EJ with the #1's. :lol:

Ya know, if you take away that one pass, EJ would be 3 for 6 and 25 yards. I think it's pretty clear that it's time to cut him.

Jeez, do that for the other two QBs. Cassel threw one pass over ten yards and if you take away Goodwin's run after catch what did Taylor have?

Lunacy. Tyrod is gonna get his legs separated from his body with the way he plays. Meh is great for the 4-5 yard passing game. Ej's the only one with real NFL quarterback potential. Yea, he's gotta grasp the speed of the game, play calm and command the offense. You guys calling for those other two are simply out thinking yourselves. I said it last year and I'll say it again, our best chance at success is EJ playing to his potential. But take it for what it's worth, this is just the opinion of a guy that's been pretty focused on pro football only since like 1980.

EJ will not be cut.