Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the offensive plan is really to run ball control and hand off and make the occasional pass to pick up a first down or throw a bomb when they aren't expecting it, EJ would be great at fulfilling that role.

I would offer up the Chicago game as a classic example. The run game was working. On the final drive when we needed a 3rd down completion he hit Mike Williams for the first down. He also hit Robert Woods on that drive as well. In that game he was 16 for 22 (72.7%). Rating of 91.7. Ran 6 times for 19 yards and a TD.

That's ball control and just what the doctor ordered for 2016 or at least that's the common perception.

When you play close games you also need to win late sometimes. EJ has shown he can be good at that too with late wins vs Chicago and Carolina. He brought us back to take the lead in his first game vs Patsies** but the defense gave up the lead in the final minute.

This TBD conventional wisdom that EJ "sucks" is ridiculous.

Well said.

IF the offensive plan is really to run ball control and hand off and make the occasional pass to pick up a first down or throw a bomb when they aren't expecting it, EJ would be great at fulfilling that role.

I would offer up the Chicago game as a classic example. The run game was working. On the final drive when we needed a 3rd down completion he hit Mike Williams for the first down. He also hit Robert Woods on that drive as well. In that game he was 16 for 22 (72.7%). Rating of 91.7. Ran 6 times for 19 yards and a TD.

That's ball control and just what the doctor ordered for 2016 or at least that's the common perception.

When you play close games you also need to win late sometimes. EJ has shown he can be good at that too with late wins vs Chicago and Carolina. He brought us back to take the lead in his first game vs Patsies** but the defense gave up the lead in the final minute.

This TBD conventional wisdom that EJ "sucks" is ridiculous.

Selective memory. In the pats season opener you refer to, the offense went 3 and out on the 3 drives in the 4th quarter before the scoring drive you refer to. Defense gave them the ball again and again but the offense did nothing with it. Amazing the D managed to hold the pats as long as they did.

Selective memory. In the pats season opener you refer to, the offense went 3 and out on the 3 drives in the 4th quarter before the scoring drive you refer to. Defense gave them the ball again and again but the offense did nothing with it. Amazing the D managed to hold the pats as long as they did.

Is there a way to find E.J. 1st quarter stats? He is notorious for starting slow...

Are you guys ready for the most obvious prediction ever (sorry for the hyperbole):

Matt Cassel doesn't look very good tonight. Taylor doesn't look much better. EJ plays with the 3's and doesn't play that much or really do anything of consequence and all of a sudden, everyone is lauding EJ tomorrow because the other guys didn't look very good, even though he didn't do anything to raise his own stock. Book it.

Are you guys ready for the most obvious prediction ever (sorry for the hyperbole):

Matt Cassel doesn't look very good tonight. Taylor doesn't look much better. EJ plays with the 3's and doesn't play that much or really do anything of consequence and all of a sudden, everyone is lauding EJ tomorrow because the other guys didn't look very good, even though he didn't do anything to raise his own stock. Book it.

And all 3 of them could look good but EJ's performance counts the least because it was vs the 3s. Everyone's going to have a reason to say something one way or the other. Just wait and see how bout?

More likely:

Cassel sucks against the 1s.

Taylor does okay against the 2s.

EJ does well against the 3s.

Anti-EJ crusaders - "Cassel only sucked because (insert stupid excuse here) and EJ was only good because he was playing against the 3s. Cut EJ now!"

EJ Fanboys - "Cassel sucks, so cut him. Taylor only looked okay. EJ looked AWESOME!! Even though it was against the 3s, it doesn't matter. He was still awesome."

Rational people - "Cassel went out there and played typical Cassel football; It will be nice to see Taylor and EJ against the 1s; EJ did well, but as a 3rd year QB, that's expected."

Is there a way to find E.J. 1st quarter stats? He is notorious for starting slow...

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/situationalstats

Sorry for formatting. It goes attempts, completions, percentage.

1st Half 68 42 61.8

2nd Half 62 33 53.2

1st Quarter 31 19 61.3

2nd Quarter 37 23 62.2

3rd Quarter 19 11 57.9

4th Quarter 43 22 51.2

Last Two Minutes of Half 24 13 54.2

Edited by section122

More likely:

Anti-EJ crusaders - "Cassel only sucked because (insert stupid excuse here) and EJ was only good because he was playing against the 3s. Cut EJ now!"

EJ Fanboys - "Cassel sucks, so cut him. Taylor only looked okay. EJ looked AWESOME!! Even though it was against the 3s, it doesn't matter. He was still awesome."

Rational people - "Cassel went out there and played typical Cassel football; It will be nice to see Taylor and EJ against the 1s; EJ did well, but as a 3rd year QB, that's expected."

Dude no one is stretching to rip on EJ. At least not me. He's making it pretty easy. If he looks good against the 5th's tonight, I'll be happy with his performance. I am aware that he will be playing with lesser players on offense himself. The people that are bending over backwards are the people defending him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/situationalstats

Sorry for formatting. It goes attempts, completions, percentage.

1st Half 68 42 61.8

2nd Half 62 33 53.2

1st Quarter 31 19 61.3

2nd Quarter 37 23 62.2

3rd Quarter 19 11 57.9

4th Quarter 43 22 51.2

Last Two Minutes of Half 24 13 54.2

Excellent. Thank you.

So in realty, EJ lights it up (cough) in the 2th qrtr, and does downhill after that. 1/2 time adjustments?

More likely:

I know Cassel sucks but I don't want him cut. He will be on the Pats* immediately. They just cut Flynn, Brady will miss at least a little time so there will be a roster exemption, and they can pick his brain. After week 2 I will say to cut him he sucks :nana:

Dude no one is stretching to rip on EJ. At least not me. He's making it pretty easy. If he looks good against the 5th's tonight, I'll be happy with his performance. I am aware that he will be playing with lesser players on offense himself. The people that are bending over backwards are the people defending him.

I think there are extremists on both sides of this issue. I know you're not a crusader, though!

Excellent. Thank you.

So in realty, EJ lights it up (cough) in the 2th qrtr, and does downhill after that. 1/2 time adjustments?

It is tough to say considering the small sample size. It could be a product of so many things; playing from behind, halftime adjustments, clock dictating play calling, etc...

Excellent. Thank you.

Well in fairness, I don't think the bills have made adjustments at any point in the last two years at half time. Curious what Orton did after half time. Got the time section122?

LOL! I just tried to look up Orton on NFL.com and they don't have him listed in the stats at all for current or historical player.

Edited by The Wiz