Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

Again, I am not a Cassel fan. It is just odd that the guy that we are sure can't be effective in an NFL game is the one with the longest track record of being successful in an NFL game.

You know when you were young and you had the guts to do something crazy without batting an eye? I honestly think that Cassel lost that "guts" factor that you need in live action. I think the same thing happened to Matt Shaub.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I am not a Cassel fan. It is just odd that the guy that we are sure can't be effective in an NFL game is the one with the longest track record of being successful in an NFL game.

I don't know if I'm a Matt "King of the" Cassel fan or not. I'll wait to see how he does in a Bills suit.

However, it seems that when he is in the right situation with a good team and a good coach and a defense, he does well. When he's not, he doesn't. He's not a guy who can carry the team on his back, but if the whole team contributes he will enough too to win. This is what I'm hoping he can do for us if he starts.

So.... this makes T.T. a better QB???

Nope it doesn't.

TT and EJ both provide hope that they can be good quality effective qbs in this league. I have no hope with Cassel. I don't buy the idea that a guy was good 7 years ago on a stacked team so he can do it again.

As I said in the TT thread though. If he is named starter I will convince myself otherwise because I am a Bills fan and that is what we do!

Edited by section122

I don't buy the idea that a guy was good 7 years ago on a stacked team so he can do it again.

Why not? The Bills are stacked this year. That's why I think he can be good for us too.

If we weren't stacked i would think differently about Matt "King of the" Cassel probably.

Edited by reddogblitz

Nope it doesn't.

TT and EJ both provide hope that they can be good quality effective qbs in this league. I have no hope with Cassel. I don't buy the idea that a guy was good 7 years ago on a stacked team so he can do it again.

As I said in the TT thread though. If he is named starter I will convince myself otherwise because I am a Bills fan and that is what we do!

This

Other than pre-season, no. He hasn't.

Thanks.

Then why/how can people say "he looks better in real world NFL games" nonsense???

Nope it doesn't.

LOL :thumbsup:

Well said my friend....

Thanks.

Then why/how can people say "he looks better in real world NFL games" nonsense???

LOL :thumbsup:

Well said my friend....

I think it's more to the point that we don't know what he can do vs we've seen what they can do.

The unknown is always more appealing.

Edited by The Wiz

With the essence of the OP's opening statement, I would have to agree. I was one who wanted to hold out after year one, then hope he could put it together last year, and then finally hope he could come into camp and light it up, but alas the writing seems to be on the wall. I STILL hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the case. Also, while I believe that EJ certainly has issues with his mechanics and accuracy - which no doubt go hand in hand - I also believe some of the misfortune of being on a team where Kevin Kolb was the projected starter and then being mishandled by Marrone et. al., had as much to do with his QB failure as anything else. I like the kid a lot as a person, and there are moments of brilliance, but I think it's all over but the crying (for him and his staunch supporters). I think the BILLS roll with the lower risk options to manage the game and "hope" they can Draft their Franchise QB next year, which is currently projected to be a very good one for QBs.

Any potential "mishandling" cannot ever be the root cause of very basic accuracy issues, not to mention staring down receivers and putting them in position to be decapitated.

And can we drop the argument that we only need a QB to hand the ball off and manage the game and throw limited/high probability passes. That's all good and well in pretend land, but what about all of the times we are down points and have to abandon that and open the field and throw...in succession...successfully...to move the ball down the field. I don't need a game manager on 3rd and 16 in the fourth. I need a threat.

Agreed 100%. I understand that we're going to be running the ball a lot but you have to keep the defense honest. If you have zero threat of a downfield passing game you cannot run the ball effectively. Therefore, it is imperative we find the guy who is the best at throwing footballs accurately. This seems to be an issue for you know who (bring on his completion % as a rookie or something and around and around we go).

Why not? The Bills are stacked this year. That's why I think he can be good for us too.

If we weren't stacked i would think differently about Matt "King of the" Cassel probably.

Well, one concern is that while women and wine get better with age, QB's arms and abilities to recover physically from injuries (including the wear and tear of sacks and hits) generally get worse

Nope it doesn't.

Here we are at the ceiling conversation again. While you have no hope that Cassel can emerge as a top flight starter this year (which I would agree with), do you also understand that it's MORE THAN LIKELY at this point that EJ Manuel- despite possessing a shred of the "unknown," which Cassel does not have, admittedly- won't be as good as Cassel? If you understand this concept, then I think everyone's on the same page and we can lay this thing to rest. Until tomorrow.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Just a quick reminder that Russell Wilson was there for the taking and the Bills picked TJ F'n Graham. I was screaming at the TV!

thanks for the news flash, though I think I've seen this reminder several times here in different threads

I don't know if I'm a Matt "King of the" Cassel fan or not. I'll wait to see how he does in a Bills suit.

However, it seems that when he is in the right situation with a good team and a good coach and a defense, he does well. When he's not, he doesn't. He's not a guy who can carry the team on his back, but if the whole team contributes he will enough too to win. This is what I'm hoping he can do for us if he starts.

I think that is more than fair. If he is the guy, I'm with you. Get the ball to the playmakers (the Bills have lots), convert 3rd downs and don't turn it over.

Of course he doesn't, he's pro EJ.

I guess the question is, why wouldn't a Bills fan be "pro EJ?"

He's young, he's a good kid, hard worker, has great physical tools and a ceiling that's pretty high. Sure, he hasn't put it all together yet (and my never) but he sounds like a player all Bills fans should be behind. He's the last player that should cause a division between fans.

I guess the question is, why wouldn't a Bills fan be "pro EJ?"

He's young, he's a good kid, hard worker, has great physical tools and a ceiling that's pretty high. Sure, he hasn't put it all together yet (and my never) but he sounds like a player all Bills fans should be behind. He's the last player that should cause a division between fans.

Agree totally.

I'm pro Matt "King of the" Cassel, pro EJ, pro Tyrod, and pro Simms. Whoever does the best, so be it.

Actually it isn't. Would you believe the all time leader in completion % is only 66.2%. Minimum 1500 pass attempts and would you believe that there are only 35 players that are over 60%. Manuel sits at 58.6 with a little less than 500 attempts. If he were to average 68.6% he would go down as the most accurate qb in history!

I did not know this, obviously.....very enlightening. I'm glad I made my stupid opinion b/c it caused me to learn something new today !