Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

How has he regressed? Even if you look at his games last year, he had an average QB rating in the high mid 80's with 5 td's and 3 interceptions. He led us to a comeback against over Chicago and played essentially flawless against Miami. One would argue Marrone's game management led to inefficient drives and lack of points scored. He's never been a bad quarterback. He hasn't been great, but I'd argue he hasn't lost us games by himself.

The problem with Manuel last year was his pathetically low completion rate on medium-to-deep throws. He was incredibly inaccurate on those throws last season regardless of the overall stats. When a QB can't hit those throws, it makes it easy for teams to defend against an offense.

For one, the reports out of camp are that he has been the worst of the bunch and the problems that have plagued him since HS(accuracy and getting through progressions quickly) are still issues. The 1st few games in a Bills uniform he looked like he may be the guy. He has played some atrocious games since (Pittsburgh, Houston, Tampa). You are not hearing anyone talk about the improvement even people that really like EJ (Sal for example) are saying the opposite. A scout last week said that he "is left handed and doesn't know it." That isn't a "this guy may be alright" analysis that is a "this guy is a train wreck" analysis.

If EJ was a 3rd round pick as most projected there would not be the people on here defending him like they do. They would read the reports as they were meant to be taken. As of 8/14/15 he is the 3rd best QB on the roster. That isn't an agenda or anything other than his play hasn't been better than Cassel or Tyrod. This isn't some big shock either.

Just curious - who said this? Any idea which team? Is there a link?

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was a report that a scout said that. Pretty sure I've seen that exact report adn quote used several times about others.

I just think with the work ethic he has, and the ceiling he has, he has what it takes to be our starter. But, obviously you don't know until the game.

If he's awful in preseason then I'll say it's not him, but be logical. He's shown up in most game scenarios.

I agree 100%. Everyone is resigned to the fact that EJ is out because he has been practicing with the 3rd team and Cassel and Tyrod are in because they have been with the 1's and 2's. How about consider that the complete opposite is true. They already know they are keeping EJ so are giving the other 2 players most of the quality reps to decide which among those 2 will be kept as well. That is my thinking. I guess we will see. My bet is he stays. And starts.

Roman seemed to indicate EJ's main problem is getting the Offense down, which may very well be why he's slotted in at #3 in this first game because that means he'll likely play a lot...I got the impression that Roman really likes EJ's potential, but Cassel and TT have a leg up because they are more experienced...Who knows? I definitely did not get the impression that Roman was challenging EJ whatsoever...He seemed to be very happy with him... B-)

The reports that I read were:

Cassel has been consistently below average, with the exception of one or two good practices.

Tyrod has had good and bad days, but more good days than the other two QB's. He's been progressing more steadily than the other two.

EJ has had the good and bad days. His bad days are worse than the other two, and his good days at better than Cassel's and on par with Taylor's. He's still inconsistent.

Still holding out hope the either EJ out Tyrod beat out Cassel.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

You guys read into this stuff all wrong. A team that is not anouncing their starting quarterback till week 1 is not going to be so obvious as to let him start the first preseason game. There's 4 of these, and 4 more weeks of training camp. Everybody has gotten their run with the 1's. EJ has been playing with the 3's lately because that's how the order is with this offense.

He will be on the team, that's my honest belief. I think if Cassel is the starter it's too much of a liability to have an unproven back up as the sole back up as we saw with Jeff Tuel.

Don't look too far into who's starting nowadays. Rex made it clear that they were sharing reps, and I think who starts this game is just as important as who starts the last preseason game.

Let's watch their performances tonight. If EJ looks terrible with the 3's then there's reason to have concern with him. But if he tears it up which I fully expect him to (granted he gets o-line help), then we'll see a whole new rotation next week.

Agreed...

Rex was also crystal clear yesterday (or maybe the day before) that they had a plan to keep this thing open through the 2nd preseason game...Something the media jackals who are so quick to write EJ off have completely ignored...

And I'm not saying EJ does not have to go out there and prove he can win this thing...I don't want him to be the QB unless he earns every bit of it...I'm just saying that for two days now some folks on WGR are having real discussions on whether or not EJ will be cut this year...Something most of them seem to believe is the right thing to do...And I just think it's so ridiculously premature based on what Rex and Roman have said and laid out for them... B-)

The reports that I read were:

Cassel has been consistently below average, with the exception of one or two good practices.

Tyrod has had good and bad days, but more good days than the other two QB's. He's been progressing more steadily than the other two.

EJ has had the good and bad days. His bad days are worse than the other two, and his good days at better than Cassel's and on par with Taylor's. He's still inconsistent.

Still holding out hope the either EJ out Tyrod beat out Cassel.

Guys I haven't even given up on the guy yet. But can we please stop with the "hey one day, he's good, the other day Cassel's good, the other day Taylor's good, who can keep track..." charade? The fact of the matter is that every last reporter, observer, et al who has attended all of training camp has EJ third. Period. Has one guy really separated himself? No. Is there still time for him to win the job? Probably. But please don't pretend like he's not third right now. John Murphy, who is the biggest EJ dreamer of them all, said after their last practice, "It really seems like the other two guys are getting better each practice and learning the system and unfortunately I'm just not seeing any progress from EJ." Take it for whatever it's worth.

And as far as "EJ's good days being better than Cassel's good days." No. That is simply not true. There have been two practices now where everyone agreed Cassel had a great practice. There have been zero practices where anyone said EJ had a great practice. There has been one practice and the scrimmage where EJ kind of won by default. Please stop trying to spin this into something it's not. Let me ask you this: forget about the other two guys for a second. Your guy is EJ, clearly. How do you feel about HIS progress so far this camp?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Guys I haven't even given up on the guy yet. But can we please stop with the "hey one day, he's good, the other day Cassel's good, the other day Taylor's good, who can keep track..." charade? The fact of the matter is that every last reporter, observer, et al who has attended all of training camp has EJ third. Period. Has one guy really separated himself? No. Is there still time for him to win the job? Probably. But please don't pretend like he's not third right now. John Murphy, who is the biggest EJ dreamer of them all, said after their last practice, "It really seems like the other two guys are getting better each practice and learning the system and unfortunately I'm just not seeing any progress from EJ." Take it for whatever it's worth.

And as far as "EJ's good days being better than Cassel's good days." No. That is simply not true. There have been two practices now where everyone agreed Cassel had a great practice. There have been zero practices where anyone said EJ had a great practice. There has been one practice and the scrimmage where EJ kind of won by default. Please stop trying to spin this into something it's not. Let me ask you this: forget about the other two guys for a second. Your guy is EJ, clearly. How do you feel about HIS progress so far this camp?

Metz, I agree with all that you said except the "won by default". How exactly does one win by default when all 3 of them were practicing and scrimmaging those days?

Edited by The Wiz

Be honest. Were you screaming for every QB?

I'll be honest- I wanted the Bills to take Gronkowski and Wilson right where the Bills took Troup and Graham. Both were no-brainer picks and they instead got cute and took guys that would have otherwise gone in the third and seventh rounds, respectively.

Metz, I agree with all that you said except the "won by default". How exactly does one win by default when all 3 of them were practicing and scrimmaging those days?

There was the one practice and the scrimmage (and guys I read and listen to every single outlet I can) where people kind of said, "yeah EJ was probably the best of the three today" but not once has anyone been glowing about his performance. Conversely, there have been two practices where everyone agreed Cassel had a great practice. There have been more than that where people have agreed Taylor had a great practice. EJ is third. Period. Everyone is willing to admit this except for like ten (the number is dwindling by the day) guys on this website. He can still salvage his career in Buffalo but he needs to come out swinging right now!

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I think there are several things which should drive our timing as to making decisions on our QB depth chart:

1. Pick the best performing QB: Sorry those of you who have already chosen the QB who should start(and even those who have already decided who should be cut) but none of the three candidates has shown enough performance and consistency to be worhy of endorsement as the starter. I is even doubtful that without regard to performance tonight this will change tonight. Even a great performance tonight by Cassel against their # 1 D or Tyler or EJ against their subs will need to see some more before the player deserves a judgment of being consistent enuf.

2. Be prepared for pre-season injury: It would simply be stupid to cut any QB until the last minute just in case one or both of the other QB candidates get injured.

3. Develop chemistry between the designated starters: I agree this important and in fact essential. However, do this by one of the candidates winning the job with their practice and performance. Rather than making premature cuts, simply chose a winner when one deserves to win.

4. Keep our opponents guessing: The longer we wait to announce our decision the less time initial opponents Indy and NE have to think about or implement approaches to our choice. We can start practicing indoors as sonn as w know, but local fans need to realize that keeping us fans in the dark is good for our team.

Do not cut anyone until September!

There was the one practice and the scrimmage (and guys I read and listen to every single outlet I can) where people kind of said, "yeah EJ was probably the best of the three today" but not once has anyone been glowing about his performance. Conversely, there have been two practices where everyone agreed Cassel had a great practice. There have been more than that where people have agreed Taylor had a great practice. EJ is third. Period. Everyone is willing to admit this except for like ten (the number is dwindling by the day) guys on this website. He can still salvage his career in Buffalo but he needs to come out swinging right now!

I get what you're saying about no one glowing over his practices. And I agree, he is third right now.

But because no one wrote a glowing review of him on his best practice day (I believe he was 10-10 in 7 on 7 and 12-14 in 11 on 11, It was in one of the other camp threads but he did have a great day) doesn't really make me put much stock in what the reporters are saying.

I know at least 1 of Cassels great days he was going against the 3s for most of the day (this past monday, I was at camp and saw for myself) but that wasn't factored in. It was just a great day for him. I don't think the media is against EJ (other than Joe B) but just prefer the other two. Kind of like how the backup QB is everyone's favorite player on TBD when things are going well with the starter.

Edited by The Wiz