Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I haven't even given up on the guy yet. But can we please stop with the "hey one day, he's good, the other day Cassel's good, the other day Taylor's good, who can keep track..." charade? The fact of the matter is that every last reporter, observer, et al who has attended all of training camp has EJ third. Period. Has one guy really separated himself? No. Is there still time for him to win the job? Probably. But please don't pretend like he's not third right now. John Murphy, who is the biggest EJ dreamer of them all, said after their last practice, "It really seems like the other two guys are getting better each practice and learning the system and unfortunately I'm just not seeing any progress from EJ." Take it for whatever it's worth.

And as far as "EJ's good days being better than Cassel's good days." No. That is simply not true. There have been two practices now where everyone agreed Cassel had a great practice. There have been zero practices where anyone said EJ had a great practice. There has been one practice and the scrimmage where EJ kind of won by default. Please stop trying to spin this into something it's not. Let me ask you this: forget about the other two guys for a second. Your guy is EJ, clearly. How do you feel about HIS progress so far this camp?

Can you say anything without hyperbole? EJ certainly has had good practices, regardless of how much you'd like to ignore them. Carry on.

Can you say anything without hyperbole? EJ certainly has had good practices, regardless of how much you'd like to ignore them. Carry on.

What did I say that was hyperbolic? I'm just going by what I have read. I have in fact heard several people refer to Cassel's performance in a couple practices as "great" and I have not heard that word used to describe anything Manuel has done. I'm not ignoring anything. What are you accusing me of ignoring? I acknowledged that he was the best of the three twice. What is your stance? That he has had an impressive camp? You are the one who is ignoring the fact that EJ Manuel is third on the Bills depth chart right now. John Murphy, who has been outwardly pulling for EJ Manuel for the last five months, has said as much. It's not really up for debate. Again, can that change? Yes.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

What did I say that was hyperbolic? I'm just going by what I have read. I have in fact heard several people refer to Cassel's performance in a couple practices as "great" and I have not heard that word used to describe anything Manuel has done. I'm not ignoring anything. What are you accusing me of ignoring? I acknowledged that he was the best of the three twice. What is your stance? That he has had an impressive camp? You are the one who is ignoring the fact that EJ Manuel is third on the Bills depth chart right now. Again, can that change? Yes.

I think he was referring to the "every last reporter/observer" has EJ at third.

What did I say that was hyperbolic? I'm just going by what I have read. I have in fact heard several people refer to Cassel's performance in a couple practices as "great" and I have not heard that word used to describe anything Manuel has done. I'm not ignoring anything. What are you accusing me of ignoring? I acknowledged that he was the best of the three twice. What is your stance? That he has had an impressive camp? You are the one who is ignoring the fact that EJ Manuel is third on the Bills depth chart right now. John Murphy, who has been outwardly pulling for EJ Manuel for the last five months has said as much. It's not really up for debate. Again, can that change? Yes.

You clearly don't read the posts you respond to. If you had read what you responded to, you'd see that I said he's been inconsistent, with the worst days and some of the better days. Does that sound like I think he's had a good camp? Your dislike for EJ won't let you read anything about him without trying to convince others that they are crazy not to agree with you. You use hyperbole all the time. Like you did above with your "every single reporter" and "zero great practice quotes about EJ" comments. How about this one:

I am really looking forward to the beat reporters telling us, "hey this guy actually looked good in a practice today." We literally haven't gotten a report like that since Fitzpatrick was here, save for Manuel's one practice last year against the Steelers.

Either you don't know what "literally" means, or you're exaggerating. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Practice and Games are two different things. In Practice they install new plays, new situations which is why you see inconsistency's every day from a different player. It's a matter of who picks it the fastest will be the best.

EJ in my opinion needs to be given a shot with the 1's in a preseason game. He played the best in the scrimmage out of the 3 QB's. Rex himself said that.

EJ is running with the 3's tonight. If he wants a shot at the title he better light them up. I don't care if he is working with 3rd stringers. If he is a 1st string he should be raising the talent level of those around him. If he goes out and looks terrible with the 3rd strings then....

I have been a supporter of EJ's since he was drafted. He shows flashes of beeing really good and then he sucks by throwing behind his receiver. His anticipation is horrible but when you get shuffled between 1st - 3rd stringers it's hard to get used to the speed and quickness of people.

Guys I haven't even given up on the guy yet. But can we please stop with the "hey one day, he's good, the other day Cassel's good, the other day Taylor's good, who can keep track..." charade? The fact of the matter is that every last reporter, observer, et al who has attended all of training camp has EJ third. Period. Has one guy really separated himself? No. Is there still time for him to win the job? Probably. But please don't pretend like he's not third right now. John Murphy, who is the biggest EJ dreamer of them all, said after their last practice, "It really seems like the other two guys are getting better each practice and learning the system and unfortunately I'm just not seeing any progress from EJ." Take it for whatever it's worth.

And as far as "EJ's good days being better than Cassel's good days." No. That is simply not true. There have been two practices now where everyone agreed Cassel had a great practice. There have been zero practices where anyone said EJ had a great practice. There has been one practice and the scrimmage where EJ kind of won by default. Please stop trying to spin this into something it's not. Let me ask you this: forget about the other two guys for a second. Your guy is EJ, clearly. How do you feel about HIS progress so far this camp?

Is there a member of the media who has attended Bills camp thus far who wouldn't tell you that EJ has been the least impressive of the three? Honest question. I'd love to hear it or read about it.

I'd like to read anything where it states that Cassel had a "great" practice. From what I have gathered, he has had a couple decent practices and has looked better than the others by comparison. Great? No.

True. I'm just tired of fighting city hall on this issue -- apparently the entire NFL community has decided EJ isn't worth the effort, so it's time to move on.

If you look at the totality of observations of radio, TV, newspaper, in-house staff, outside analysts not one observer, considered credible or not, has given an opinion that he is accurate, makes good decisions and looks like he is capable of being a franchise qb. There have been some observations that he had a good day or two but there has been no commentary that he has sustained his good outings with another good outing.

I have not read of an account where anyone said something bad about his character or work ethic. As a person he is praised; he is someone that everyone roots for. Even with someone who has such a sterling personal reputation I have not found anyone who has regularly watched him who would conclude that he is capable of being a franchise qb.

His own players are very fond of him. However, last year there was a near revolt by the offense, especially the receivers, to have him replaced by a pedestrian ill-prepared and taken off the street veteran qb who at least knew how to play.

Whaley was candid about our qb situation and its general level of medocrity. What's obvious is obvious. There is a good chance that EJ might not even make this year's roster. If he does it would be as a third string qb. It's probable that he won't be on next year's roster because he has no future as a starter for us or for any team in the league.

Practice and Games are two different things. In Practice they install new plays, new situations which is why you see inconsistency's every day from a different player. It's a matter of who picks it the fastest will be the best.

EJ in my opinion needs to be given a shot with the 1's in a preseason game. He played the best in the scrimmage out of the 3 QB's. Rex himself said that.

EJ is running with the 3's tonight. If he wants a shot at the title he better light them up. I don't care if he is working with 3rd stringers. If he is a 1st string he should be raising the talent level of those around him. If he goes out and looks terrible with the 3rd strings then....

I have been a supporter of EJ's since he was drafted. He shows flashes of beeing really good and then he sucks by throwing behind his receiver. His anticipation is horrible but when you get shuffled between 1st - 3rd stringers it's hard to get used to the speed and quickness of people.

This is the stance I'm taking as well. I know he only has 15 games to his career, but the way things have shaken out, he's in a last-chance scenario. Let him run with the 1s in preseason and prove his worth. This is a new NFL where rookies are tossed into the fire. So far he hasn't shown nearly enough progress, especially in his accuracy. The old Bills of years' past may have just handed him the keys this year, but we don't have the time anymore. We have a solid team, we need answers and consistency at that position now.

You clearly don't read the posts you respond to. If you had read what you responded to, you'd see that I said he's been inconsistent, with the worst days and some of the better days. Does that sound like I think he's had a good camp? Your dislike for EJ won't let you read anything about him without trying to convince others that they are crazy not to agree with you. You use hyperbole all the time. Like you did above with your "every single reporter" and "zero great practice quotes about EJ" comments. How about this one:

Either you don't know what "literally" means, or you're exaggerating.

So you think if EJ Manuel was having a great camp that I would be in denial about it? I'M NOT OUT TO GET THE GUY, I JUST DON'T THINK HE'S VERY GOOD. Again, yes, he has had zero GREAT practices and I am not aware of a single reporter who wouldn't agree that EJ Manuel is third right now. You know, it is OK to invoke the phrase "everyone would agree" in situations sometimes when they are true. It is not hyperbole to say that everyone would agree that Wayne Gretzky is the best centre to ever play the game. It is not hyperbole to say that everyone would agree that it's not healthy to eat McDonald's on a regular basis. Similarly, yes, every media member would agree that EJ is third right now. Not hyperbole.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I continue to believe this as well--$2.5M is a lot of cap space to eat just to cut the guy...maybe they can IR him with a stubbed toe or something?

That's why IK is on the roster now.