Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

Serious question to the people who think Manuel is going to be cut ... his contract is 100% guaranteed, what incentive is there for the Bills to cut him?

I don't think they are going to cut him myself, but there is definitely incentive to cut him if only for an extra roster spot. They want to keep six WR, four TE, and four RB, plus we have a FB. If we only keep two QBs then maybe we get to keep both Hogan and Goodwin or even the good return guy Thigpen when we may have to release one, or we get to keep Boobie or Bryce Brown, or we get to keep Matthew Muttonhead for the few plays a game we want a double TE blocker.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills do decide to part ways with EJ, then a trade for anything would be preferable to a cut due to his contract being fully guaranteed (although it does have offsets). I don't think we are to that point yet, but we might be soon.

No NFL team would trade a ham sandwich for EJ. When a QB, even a back up QB gets hurt, he'll get signed from the minimum. I taped this morning the replay and watching the end of the game now while my boys and their friends are knee deep in their fantasy draft downstairs.

What I really like dpseeing was Taylor even for read option packages, and EJ just looks bad. I was hoping he would come out strong even just to compete for a back up spot as his contract is already paid, but he was just bad.

When I hear these pundits and callers on NFL Radio state "he's only had 14 games", my response is "sure but he's in his 3rd year, had an additional 7 preseason games, and he can't hit water from a boat.". I just don't see any improvement. I hope given he /0seems to be a nice kid to get a chance as a back up and maybe over a couple of years in a place like Green Bay, he can learn from a pro bowler.

No NFL team would trade a ham sandwich for EJ. When a QB, even a back up QB gets hurt, he'll get signed from the minimum. I taped this morning the replay and watching the end of the game now while my boys and their friends are knee deep in their fantasy draft downstairs.

What I really like dpseeing was Taylor even for read option packages, and EJ just looks bad. I was hoping he would come out strong even just to compete for a back up spot as his contract is already paid, but he was just bad.

When I hear these pundits and callers on NFL Radio state "he's only had 14 games", my response is "sure but he's in his 3rd year, had an additional 7 preseason games, and he can't hit water from a boat.". I just don't see any improvement. I hope given he /0seems to be a nice kid to get a chance as a back up and maybe over a couple of years in a place like Green Bay, he can learn from a pro bowler.

Yeah that TD pass was horrible and those two passes to that bounced of the TEs were thrown too hard. It is also obvious that after the illustrious careers Cassel and Taylor have had that they must be the answer. Time to cut bait.

You're supposed to watch football with your eyes open. :blink:

Time to visit the optometrist. Embarrassing takes here.

haters gotta hate

Ya know, if you take away that one pass, EJ would be 3 for 6 and 25 yards. I think it's pretty clear that it's time to cut him.

throwing out the 3 dropped passes that were on the money that's 8.3 YPC.

cut them all

Sal Capaccio @SalSports 5m5 minutes ago

Sal Capaccio retweeted Steve

I know you hate hearing this, but I've been at every practice, and EJ is clearly behind the other two.

@SalSports

. @SJHNatFan It's a body of work. Not one day or two passes. Overall, he's been the third best.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Sal Capaccio ‏@SalSports 5m5 minutes ago

Sal Capaccio retweeted Steve

I know you hate hearing this, but I've been at every practice, and EJ is clearly behind the other two.

EJ might be (and probably is behind), but it's funny these guys are able to watch every practice so closely considering it's split fields and they don't have access to practice film. Ryan was saying not even he can watch every snap of every practice live because it's just moving too fast, but Sal? He's got it covered. :pirate:

Here is the exchange. Thought it would be good to show the entire context since some in here have the same thoughts...

Steve @SJHNatFan 5m5 minutes ago

@SalSports he looked better than them in the scrimmage & his reps have been cut ever since. And w/ out the drops,he would have been 6/8 & TD

0 retweets 0 favorites

@SalSports

. @SJHNatFan It's a body of work. Not one day or two passes. Overall, he's been the third best.

Steve @SJHNatFan 3m3 minutes ago

@SalSports body of work is impacted by sample size

Sal Capaccio @SalSports 2m2 minutes ago

. @SJHNatFan OK. You can keep banging that drum all you want. I'm just telling you what I and every other reporter here has seen.

EJ might be (and probably is behind), but it's funny these guys are able to watch every practice so closely considering it's split fields and they don't have access to practice film. Ryan was saying not even he can watch every snap of every practice live because it's just moving too fast, but Sal? He's got it covered. :pirate:

That is entirely true. Although this year's "click-bate" is tied to the QBs. Again not that they are by any means experts, but it does seem to echo what many of them are saying...

It's weird that he's so far behind, considering he had the best scrimmage and pre-season game so far. It'll be interesting to see what happens in game two, and who gets the start in game three. I still think he's our best bet, but I'm no expert. All I know is, I want to have a younger QB develop and be a long time starter for the Bills. I like Tyrod, but his pocket passing ability scares me a bit. Hopefully TT shows us he can go through some progressions instead of one look and run, against the Browns.

EJ was a risky pick, but was a needed risk. It looks like he will not work out but that is ok with me, at least they took a chance. One day they will hit on one and we won't care how they found our franchise QB.

Here is the exchange. Thought it would be good to show the entire context since some in here have the same thoughts...

Steve ‏@SJHNatFan 5m5 minutes ago

@SalSports he looked better than them in the scrimmage & his reps have been cut ever since. And w/ out the drops,he would have been 6/8 & TD

0 retweets 0 favorites

Steve ‏@SJHNatFan 3m3 minutes ago

@SalSports body of work is impacted by sample size

Sal Capaccio ‏@SalSports 2m2 minutes ago

. @SJHNatFan OK. You can keep banging that drum all you want. I'm just telling you what I and every other reporter here has seen.

That is entirely true. Although this year's "click-bate" is tied to the QBs. Again not that they are by any means experts, but it does seem to echo what many of them are saying...

:beer:

It's weird that he's so far behind, considering he had the best scrimmage and pre-season game so far. It'll be interesting to see what happens in game two, and who gets the start in game three. I still think he's our best bet, but I'm no expert. All I know is, I want to have a younger QB develop and be a long time starter for the Bills. I like Tyrod, but his pocket passing ability scares me a bit. Hopefully TT shows us he can go through some progressions instead of one look and run, against the Browns.

I don't think he's "so far behind" in reality. Maybe in perception -- people see what they want to see.

Regardless of the truth of the matter, the thing I came away with from the Carolina game is that our QB position is not as dire as the national media fears. Regardless of who wins the gig, this team is going to score points and win a lot of games, there's no question. I have been hoping for EJ or TT to take the job while feeling confident in Meh as a fallback option -- that still hasn't changed for me.

I've been hoping for EJ to pull it out this camp, but the more I hear from the reporters and from Rex's mouth, it really does seem like the coaches are trying to decide between Cassel and Tyrod. I think Rex really, really wants Tyrod to be the guy. Right or wrong, fair or unfair, it seems to be moving in this direction.

Now, if after Thursday the team says EJ will play with the 1s in the third preseason game, then I'll think differently. But I don't see that happening.

EJ was a risky pick, but was a needed risk. It looks like he will not work out but that is ok with me, at least they took a chance. One day they will hit on one and we won't care how they found our franchise QB.

I will never understand how EJ is classified as a risky pick -- they traded down to get him, and netted Alonzo in the process. That's mitigating risk, not accentuating it.

The problem with the way it's played out so far is the coaches are pleased with Cassel and he did everything they wanted him to in the game. They know what they have with him. If TT plays well or reasonably well against the Browns, we are now getting into the all important third game. Chances are they will not play EJ with the ones in that case.

The only way I see EJ as the opening day starter is if TT plays poorly against the Browns, and EJ plays well with the threes. Don't predict that as a likely outcome. It was a very good sign for TT to come out strong today after his good showing. He's likely gaining confidence. Be interesting to see how he fares in the practices T-W.