Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

At least the report isn't from Moran or someone of that ilk. timmah is usually pretty good. That said, still lots of variables in play.

its legit if it is graham. that's the best thing about him and a few others. only when wawrow says it do you know it is 100% fact. he doesn't miss, he can't miss.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Graham covered the Dolphins for a Miami newspaper for a few years after he left his first stint at the Buffalo News. The way he worded the tweet, it could be from Fins sources and not necessarily the Bills, fwiw.

One thing the Bills can do to free up cap space is extend Dareus now...it would look something like this..

7 Years, $121 million, $25 million signing bonus; $55 million guaranteed ($30 million paid on first day of league year 2016)

Year 1: SB allocation $3.57M and Salary $2 million -- reduces cap hit to $5.57 Million from $8.6 million

Year 2: SB allocation $3.57M, Guarantee allocation $5 million, Salary $9 million - Cap Hit $17.57 million

Year 3: SB allocation $3.57M, Guarantee allocation $5 million, Salary $11 million-Cap Hit $19.57 million

Year 4: SB allocation $3.57M, Guarantee allocation $5 million, Salary $11 million-Cap Hit $19.57 million

Year 5: SB allocation $3.57M, Guarantee allocation $5 million, Salary $11 million-Cap Hit $19.57 million

Year 6: SB allocation $3.57M, Guarantee allocation $5 million, Salary $12 million--Cap Hit $20.57 million

Year 7: SB allocation $3.57M, Guarantee allocation $5 million, Salary $12 million-Cap Hit $20.57 million

He entered the league at 20 so he is only 25 -- 7 years is reasonable...

Because I'm bored I thought I'd point out all of the errors you made(sorry).

Dareus has a cap hit this year of $8.06M not $8.60M.

Your totals add up to $123M not $121M.

The SB portion of any NFL contract can only be amortized to a maximum of 5 years.....so your cap hit for $25M SB would be $5M/year for the first 5 years, and zero for the last 2. This(along with the $8.06M error) means your contract only provides us with a measly $1.06M in cap relief this season.

Your $30M 2016 guaranteed bonus cannot be amortized at all, and as it stands would all count towards the 2016 cap.

Apart from all that, all good. :)

Because I'm bored I thought I'd point out all of the errors you made(sorry).

Dareus has a cap hit this year of $8.06M not $8.60M.

Your totals add up to $123M not $121M.

The SB portion of any NFL contract can only be amortized to a maximum of 5 years.....so your cap hit for $25M SB would be $5M/year for the first 5 years, and zero for the last 2. This(along with the $8.06M error) means your contract only provides us with a measly $1.06M in cap relief this season.

Your $30M 2016 guaranteed bonus cannot be amortized at all, and as it stands would all count towards the 2016 cap.

Apart from all that, all good. :)

Thanks Dibs....thank God someone knows this better than me...and can actually add-- I thought I would give him a $2 million tip...

Edited by Formerly Joe F

WOO! MT @andrewrpowell Just got a text (MIA source) that Charles Clay is working out a deal with Buff as we speak. Mia is gonna let him walk

11:52pm - 14 Mar 15

https://twitter.com/andrewrpowell/status/576941912399073280

http://www.chatsports.com/buffalo-bills/a/Miami-Dolphins-expect-Charles-Clay-to-go-to-Buffalo-Bills-2-11239251

On like a MOFO...

Edited by Lurker

Lets go, lets go, lets go!!!

Hopefully wake up to a WGR550 text saying "national media guy" reporting Charles Clay has signed an offer sheet from the Buffalo Bills and Miami is not expected to match it.

I was pretty low on our free agency On Thursday evening.

If true this is true, and I'm cautiously optimistic, I can't believe we will have landed Harvin and Clay in addition to a trade for McCoy.

Now we can go O line in the draft. Maybe even a Hundly or Petty if they slide.

Dawning of a new day, ladies and gents.

So the Fins' story is they "lost patience". Actually if the report is true, what they lost was the poker game. JO and Whaley outmaneuvered Tannenbaum and Hickey.

Bills were always in the position of power. We could sign whoever we wanted, but the Dolphins hands were tied in fear of what we would offer Clay. It was a matter of time before somebody inside the Dolphins organization panicked. No need to sacrifice the team for a TE when you have many other pressing needs.

I don't remember the Bills ever entering into a contract situation like this the last 10-15 years. There's a new guy in the building who is a master negotiator. I have a feeling it's Pegula.

Edited by musichunch

At this point I would let Miami keep Clay , move on to the next option and draft a TE in 2016. Focus on the OL . Flash could be traded with Percy signed.

I think you mean Flash can be cut. I highly doubt anyone would give up any assets for an oft-injured guy that couldn't see the field on a team with a terrible offense.

This guy has a radio show in Miami

@andrewrpowell: Just got a text (Dolphins source) that Charles Clay is working out a deal with Buffalo as we speak. Miami is gonna let him walk.

YoloinOhio, you think that it will be wrapped up today?

Look - the key is Clay signs a contract with the Bills. What "leverage" do you speak of? Miami then can match, ball is in THEIR court at that point.

I see no advantage to the Fish leaking anything. They DO have $7 mil at risk if Clay signs his tender which may be what Miami is threatened by. Miami wants one of two things either Clay signs with them cheaply because he sooooo wants to stay in Miami (obviously the kid didn't agree to this) or "trick" Buffalo into overpaying.

The slowness of this process appears to me to be a savvy front office patiently waiting for Clay to wake up and smell the coffee (that the Bills not only want him but are willing to pay him well with guaranteed money for years). Sign the contract, kid!

My guess is Miami had no intention of giving Clay $ 7+ million per year but heard Buffalo was poking their nose around. Slapped the tag on him to make Buffalo overpay and hurt their free agency. So now Buffalo is just waiting for Miami to remove the tag. Im wondering if the Suh tampering talk came from 1 Bills drive.

Ralph hated Miami the start, now Pegula will hate them from the start.

Edited by TheTruthHurts