Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Miami wants to keep Clay and he wants to stay there,the Bills should not force him here.

For a blocking TE , a agile , lighter OL man works for me. A tall physical basketball player who can catch is ok for a receiving TE

I don't think we will get Gronk or Graham , so its on to plan B after cutting Scott and Lee.

they can't "force" him to do anything. They can make him an offer. If he signs it, he wants to play here. No guarantee that Miami will match.

If he prefers to play in Miami why hasn't he signed the transition tag guaranteeing him $7M this year?

I think he's working on a long-term contract with the Fish. They have to move cap dollars around and it is more drawn out than simply putting pen to paper.

Also. there's no disadvantage to Miami for prolonging this as it ties up the Bills' negotiating stance with other FAs...

You never know, they're shelling out a ton to Suh

I'm talking about more signings after Suh and Clay. They've shedding players now, just to be able to free up cap space to sign guys. They'll have to fill out the roster with low-priced JAGs after the initial "splash week" is over...

I think he's working on a long-term contract with the Fish. They have to move cap dollars around and it is more drawn out than simply putting pen to paper.

Also. there's no disadvantage to Miami for prolonging this as it ties up the Bills' negotiating stance with other FAs...

Signing the tag now does not prevent the Dolphins from signing him to a longer term contract. Also, I don't think this is preventing the Bills from making other moves. Harvin was just signed.

I'm talking about more signings after Suh and Clay. They've shedding players now, just to be able to free up cap space to sign guys. They'll have to fill out the roster with low-priced JAGs after the initial "splash week" is over...

Im saying that they traded a Mike Wallace for a 5th rounder, they might deal anybody and they have to sign Tanehill next year and he's going to be a relatively large contract.

Signing the tag now does not prevent the Dolphins from signing him to a longer term contract. Also, I don't think this is preventing the Bills from making other moves. Harvin was just signed.

If he signs the tag, his 2015 cap number will be $7 million, right? I suspect the Fins' would like to get that down to the $4 million range so they can fill out their roster.

Sure, Harvin was signed, but having to put at least $7-$8 million in 2015 cap allocation on the shelf waiting for Clay has to tie the Bills hands a bit. They could release one of their underperforming OL and get a bit of flexibilty, or ask Mario to restructure (I wonder why we havn't heard more about this), but if they make an offer to another FA and then Clay says OK, it would be interesting to see how that would play out...

If he signs the tag, his 2015 cap number will be $7 million, right? I suspect the Fins' would like to get that down to the $4 million range so they can fill out their roster.

Sure, Harvin was signed, but having to put at least $7-$8 million in 2015 cap allocation on the shelf waiting for Clay has to tie the Bills hands a bit. They could release one of their underperforming OL and get a bit of flexibilty, or ask Mario to restructure (I wonder why we havn't heard more about this), but if they make an offer to another FA and then Clay says OK, it would be interesting to see how that would play out...

You're right. They may be holding off a bit but it's not like there are any top players out there that need to be signed right away...also, I'm not sure about this but can't Clay sign the tag and continue to negotiate a long term deal that will eliminate the tag number? I recall something when Byrd was franchised. Bills had until July to work out a long term deal.

I doubt they restructure Mario this year. That pushes dollars out into the next few years.

We have too many people to extend offers to for us to push dollars out any further than is needed. Spend close to the cap this year to keep the next few years cap hits slightly lower for those players they can do this for. I like they are only restructuring as needed.

You're right. They may be holding off a bit but it's not like there are any top players out there that need to be signed right away...also, I'm not sure about this but can't Clay sign the tag and continue to negotiate a long term deal that will eliminate the tag number? I recall something when Byrd was franchised. Bills had until July to work out a long term deal.

He can sign it and continue to negotiate but then he loses the only leverage he has.

Edited by RichVP

I doubt they restructure Mario this year. That pushes dollars out into the next few years.

We have too many people to extend offers to for us to push dollars out any further than is needed. Spend close to the cap this year to keep the next few years cap hits slightly lower for those players they can this for. I like they are only restructuring as needed.

He can sign it and continue to negotiate but then he loses the only leverage he has.

It seems many don't take this in to consideration. Restructuring Mario could cause issues in a few years.

i actually don't think it ties their hands much. They have cap space now plus can get more if needed as they have only cut one player. If they want an OG they can cut urbik and/or c. Williams. They have a Mario restructure in their back pocket. They have space they can create just like the other teams do.