What are you're expectations for this season?

They won 6 games with a crappy defense and a weak armed QB being lead by a coach and staff that looked like they wanted to be some place else. This team can make it to 8-8. That would be a successful year for them.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won 6 games with a crappy defense and a weak armed QB being lead by a coach and staff that looked like they wanted to be some place else. This team can make it to 8-8. That would be a successful year for them.

You may be right, but still seems like a sad commentary.

I'll settle for being fun to watch. I do hope the temptation to harp on these young players gets tempered a bit. Don't start throwing the "B" word around after a couple weeks.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't know if Doug Marrone and his staff are going to be good, but I know they will be better than last years staff. In fifty some odd years of watching football I have never seen more inexplicable decision than that staff made last year. Do you need to be reminded? Seriously, stop and think about it for a second. As idiotic and inept as they were they still managed six wins. How could this staff do worse?

Do you think the personnel is worse? Why because we lost a guard? Who other than Levitre could possibly be missed? Is anyone going to miss Fitzpatrick? Kolb or Manuel have to be better. Nelson and Jones vs. all these new guys? New guys can't be worse. Do you find yourself longing for Barnett and Wilson?

Their record will be better than last year. They will at the very least be fun to watch, instead of painful.

With regard to the decision making at times... YE OLE agrees. There were a lot of head scratchers along the way, especially with regard to game management and everything on the defensive side of the ball. That said, it's unwise to completely write off what Gailey did for this offense. The Chanimal absolutely had a penchant to call some weird stuff at the wrong times, but he also made our offense watchable for the first time in many years. Gailey truly got more out of the offense than I think most would have.

With regard to the QB situation... YE OLE is more confident by the day that EJ has the makings to be a special player. That said, Kolb is not, and EJ is a rookie. Maybe EJ steps in from day one and does great things. More likely, he takes a while to develop and frankly Kevin Kolb has done nothing in the league to make anyone believe he is better than Fitzpatrick. Kolb has thrown 28 TD's in his entire 6 years in the league. Fitz has been throwing 24 TD's a year as a Bill. Barring Manuel stepping in from day 1 and playing lights out, there's a good chance we'll have a drop off at the QB position in the short term.

On the defensive side of the ball, however, last year's unit broke historical records for futility. There should be a significant bump on that side of the ball, no matter what.

I don't expect any better than 8-8...

I look at Seattle as the model, and they were 7-9 in Carroll's first two years (though they did make the Playoffs in 2010 at 7-9)...

Anyway...I do think we will start seeing improvements on both sides of the ball...I think this Roster has a absolute ton of potential now...There are still holes, and there will be growing pains no question...But I just have a feeling that Marrone, Hackett, and Pettine are going to be light-years ahead of what we have seen here over the past decade plus... B-)

I don't want to rain on the pessimism tread-- but the thing you really have to consider is the addition of Pettine.

We poured a ton of money and talent into our defense last offseason, but it was squandered by Wanny's lame defensive schemes.

I think Pettine can take that same, frankly top-10, talent, and turn the defense into a top-10 unit.

With a good defense, all they need to do on offense is run the ball and not turn it over, and this team has the potential to turn out 10 wins.

+1 this. Wannstadt miraculously took some pretty good talent and created a bottom-of-the-pack defense. I think we do much better on defense simply from bringing in a DC who knows the modern game. The offense will struggle, but it will also shows flashes, I think. Keep expectations low and enjoy the season. Maybe we get lucky and get a WC spot. It has happened.

I feel the same way but they should win 10 games.

So now that the draft is over I just wanted to see what everyone's expecting for this upcoming season. I see us either competing with the Pats for the division if things go well or finishing 7-9, 8-8 if not.

At the moment, I have no expectations for the Bills. I'm not trying to sound negative, but I've been fooled numerous times over the past 13 years by this team. I need to see results on the field first before I get excited about them again.

Personally I think that a lot rides on the first game against the Pats* at home, we win that one and we could well be contending for the playoffs and have a great season. If all goes well we'll still have a couple of games were things go wrong with all the youngsters but should see a more stable and succefull team near the end of the year. If not then we may as well write off this coach too...

We were a bad team last year. Coaching was in large part responsible. Even then, we were one late pick by Fitz (NE) and two dropped INTs by Wilson (Tenn & STL) away from a 9-7 record. I fully expect us to play tougher and finish games better. No reason 9-7 isn't possible this year.

9-7.....I think this is the beginning of a bright future,with a dynasty being built..Gailey and wanny really disapponted last year...Shotgun every play,never running the ball,plus the same defense play which doesn't involve a blitz will never win games in the nfl...We got a young new school coaching staff that wants to be here,and I really like the draft and i think ej was the best quarterback selected...Its my opinion but either way changes have been made so we all got what we wanted to begin with...

I expect the Bills to make the playoffs...just like I do every year. :wallbash:

I expect to have a great TBD tailgate at the opener and I expect wine and stromboli from Mead. :flirt:

I expect to have a a blast with visiting Bills Fans in New Orleans :thumbsup:

:lol:

Think this team will be better than most think. 10-6 is my prediction. I base that on potential offensive explosion because the league has not seen Buffalo's offense (no film). Also I think we can see that the defense will have an attacking multiple set front that will be hard to stop. Pettine has his stamp all over the personnel that he wants for his D and it shows by the changes. so IMHO 10-6 and possible wild card.

LV

Wow, people think they aren't gonna be better than last year?

I think 8-8, but am hopeful for better than that. They won 6 games last season, with a defense that seemed like it had a guy in the penalty box all game. They won 6 games last year with a QB that could only work 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. They won 6 games last year with a team that was completely demoralized by week 5.

They will at least match last season's record...

I don't want to rain on the pessimism tread-- but the thing you really have to consider is the addition of Pettine.

We poured a ton of money and talent into our defense last offseason, but it was squandered by Wanny's lame defensive schemes.

I think Pettine can take that same, frankly top-10, talent, and turn the defense into a top-10 unit.

With a good defense, all they need to do on offense is run the ball and not turn it over, and this team has the potential to turn out 10 wins.

Yeah, but it's a new scheme and, at least on the surface, seems like it will be pretty complicated. I'm guessing Pettine will shore up the D in time but I also expect them to struggle a lot in the first half of the season.

The same goes for the offense.

All things considered they'll end up with a record comparable to last year's but we'll have a lot more hope for 2014 because once this team starts to gell they'll be a lot better than the product we saw last year.

I am in total show me the baby mode after last season.....that said

- I disagree that we don't have a proven QB.....I don't care what anybody says Kevin Kolb IS better then Ryan Fitzpatrick....he is accurate and perfectly suited for this offense....the reason why say this is even though EJ Manuel has every tool you could possibly want he is STILL a rookie and Kolb gives EJ the opportunity to not have to start immediately and ease into the offense. Now for all the strengths of Kevin Kolb his weakness is what will eventually give EJ his "in" as the starting QB of the team at some point....his inability to stay healthy will force him to give way to EJ Manuel who will then have the reins from that point forward.......which actually is a good scenario. We also have Taveris Jackson so we have a nice mix of QB experience and future potential.

- People act like we are starting from scratch at wide out.....were not.....Stevie Johnson is still the number 1 of this team with multiple 1000 yard seasons......what we are trying to do is find him a running mate (or mates) that can take pressure off of him and we did that with the all time leading receiver of USC Robert Woods.....at the very least Robert takes pressure off Stevie and at the very best you have a Eric Moulds/Peerless Price situation here

- Lets also keep in mind that we come into this season with what were the strengths of the team on offense....the running game and the offensive line.....with only the LG spot in question. We have had years where our whole OL has been in question. Glenn was solid last year as the blind side protector and he is only going to get better.

I truly think that the REAL problem of this team last year (I know the whole thing looked like a hot mess but it all stemmed from this one thing).....our DEFENSE.....and particularly our DEFENSIVE COACHING

If Pettine can fix this (and there is no reason to believe that he cant....he has done it on 2 different other teams RECENTLY) then that affects the whole team......because the offense will have the ball more.....and not be playing from behind.

My thoughts exactly.