Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I know it's easy to sit out here and criticize and second guess, and I love me some Brandon Beane, but...

The board calling for:

Linderbaum or Dax Hill over Elam

Humphrey over Basham

DK Metcalf over Cody Ford

We've been more correct in this range than the Bills FO.

Beane better have a few more magic tricks up his sleeve tonight.

I think the board was calling for Rosen over Allen. Gotta include the hits and misses to be fair.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don't hate the trade with KC. Seemed like they were going to get Worthy regardless and we took a 3rd rounder from them in the process. 

If they were going to get Worthy regardless then why did they trade up for him 🤔 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

This was one of the rare times that Buffalo had control over what KC does. And they handed them the player they coveted, gift-wrapped.

So Beane was supposed to draft a player he didn’t want just to prevent another team from getting said player?

That is cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

Bills fans are either underestimating or in denial about how bad of shape the roster is in. The Miller contract really ***** them. The roster needs help everywhere. There isn't one positional group that is fully stocked outside of QB. In reality Beane should have sold at the deadline last year to accumulate the picks. But they need lots and lots of help. This is a rebuild year. 

Edited by pigpen65
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, schoolhouserock said:

The trade with KC was a good one.

The Bills should have taken Legette at 32. The trade with Carolina is the one I don’t like.

Yea but that’s just a player evaluation difference and those happen 

if we like Mitchell more and flip flopped, so be it, right? Conceptually it’s not catastrophic unless you are really into the option year

if we decide to go defense and wait til 60 for WR I’m right there with you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I was honestly a little pissed off last night cause i stayed up till 11:30 knowing i had to get up early in the morning for a work meeting and nothing much happened in the first round, but now that i had a chance to catch some zzzzzzzzzzz's in the office this morning, i'm feeling good about what Beane did last night.

He created some draft pick capital with great value and i'm sure he's got a plan going forward.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

This was one of the rare times that Buffalo had control over what KC does. And they handed them the player they coveted, gift-wrapped.

Yep. For all those saying that KC would’ve probably gotten him anyway, it’s important to note that we were the ones that made sure they did. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So Beane was supposed to draft a player he didn’t want just to prevent another team from getting said player?

That is cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

or much more reasonably you could just trade him to another suitor as clearly the chiefs thought someone wanted him before they could get him 

Edited by NoSaint

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think the board was calling for Rosen over Allen. Gotta include the hits and misses to be fair.

The meltdowns here about Rosen sound a whole lot like the meltdowns around here now. EMOTIONS ARE HIGH

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They could. Equally someone else could have traded into #28 (we know the Bills had other calls - Beane told us so) and other teams could have called Dallas, Baltimore, San Fran as well had Worthy still been there. 

I think it is more likely than not that they'd have got him anyway. But it isn't a complete given. And I do think there is a principle question about whether you should ever be in the market to help them. Put it this way, if he ends up a stud in KC l this trade will put some pressure on Beane. 

I don't mind the outcome, because I am sceptical about Worthy as a #1 receiver. But I think there are legit questions about whether as a point of principle it is the right process. 

I get what you are saying…but…What is the alternative though?  The only way to block KC from getting him is to take him ourselves.  So should Bills have taken a guy they didn’t want to block KC from getting him?  And let’s say we did, or we took someone else or traded with someone else and KC missed out on Worthy?  The result would have been Legette sitting there for KC or even Mitchell or Franklin too…all IMHO better WR prospects in the first place who all have top end speed themselves.  Not to mention McConkey who everyone was terrified of KC getting a week ago.

I just think that anyone thinking we needed to play defense there with the plethora of WRs still on the board is being unrealistic.

At least by trading, we took away their 3rd round pick which in itself weakens them as they still need help pretty badly at CB, OL, etc.  And that 3rd we took becomes a valuable piece for us where Beane has been maybe the best GM in the NFL since becoming GM on drafting in the mid rounds or using those picks to maneuver to get what he wants.

All in all, there was zero Beane could do to keep KC from landing speed at WR at pick 32, whether it was Worthy or not.  At least Worthy isn’t strong, meaning in the cold playoff games in bad weather his best attributes will be easier neutralized too.  

So this was best case scenario, for us to take away their 3rd for our use as they were getting a fast WR regardless in 4 picks.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll see who we get with their 3rd rd pick and then decide. Gunner didn’t even have a 1st rd grade on Xavier worthy. Neither did Joe Marino. Chiefs would likely have taken him at 32 regardless. Bills clearly didn’t want him at 28. His nfl.com draft profile grade says “might eventually become an average starter” …

Stop with all the rational thoughts about a one hundred and sixty-pound receiver

• Haha (+1) 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brandon-beane-on-trade-with-chiefs-didnt-matter-to-us-who-they-were-picking

“I could see them taking a receiver but you don’t truly know. . . . But where they were moving from, I don’t think it mattered to us who they were picking,” Beane said, via Matt Parrino of NewYorkUpstate.com. “Now we’ve got the two 2s, a 3, a 4 and four 5s. I think that gives us a chance to fill some roles or use ammo to move around again, depending on how the board falls.”

The guy the Chiefs drafted, the Bills didn't want. Despite all of the tears flowing around here like the Chiefs were just handed Tyreek Hill 2.0 (a guy whose only accolade thus far is just the fastest recorded 40 time, but nothing on the field), the Bills brass did not give a single :censored: who the Chiefs selected. Beane got what he wanted. You Nancy's need to get over it already. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying…but…What is the alternative though?  The only way to block KC from getting him is to take him ourselves.  So should Bills have taken a guy they didn’t want to block KC from getting him?  And let’s say we did, or we took someone else or traded with someone else and KC missed out on Worthy?  The result would have been Legette sitting there for KC or even Mitchell or Franklin too…all IMHO better WR prospects in the first place who all have top end speed themselves.  

I just think that anyone thinking we needed to play defense there with the plethora of WRs still on and he board is being unrealistic.

At least by trading, we took away their 3rd round pick which in itself weakens them as they still need help pretty badly at CB, OL, etc.  And that 3rd we took becomes a valuable piece for us where Beane has been maybe the best GM in the NFL since becoming GM on drafting in the mid rounds or using those picks to maneuver to get what he wants.

All in all, there was zero Beane could do to keep KC from landing speed at WR at pick 32, whether it was Worthy or not.  At least Worthy isn’t strong, meaning in the cold playoff games in bad weather his best attributes will be easier neutralized too.  

So this was best case scenario, for us to take away their 3rd for our use as they were getting a fast WR regardless in 4 picks.  

I am certianly not saying take a guy just to keep another team from getting him. But the same as teams generally don't trade in division I would try not to trade with KC.

Secretly, I was kind of hoping they'd trade up into the top 10 for one of the top WR's.

But, that would be pretty careless given our situation.  JA is getting paid now - we need more picks, not fewer.  Beane is playing it smart.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am certianly not saying take a guy just to keep another team from getting him. But the same as teams generally don't trade in division I would try not to trade with KC.

I get that, but each trade is in a vacuum with individual circumstances.  And in this case, the correct move was to strip KC of a 3rd as there was nothing Bills could to keep KC from getting a top WR prospect with top end speed and more than likely they still get the same player anyway.  

If Bills were picking 12th and we gave KC a shot at an elite prospect that was head and shoulders above the other ones on the board, then yes, don’t do that trade.  

But in this case, taking away their 3rd was a win for us in every way you can analyze the trade.

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

or much more reasonably you could just trade him to another suitor as clearly the chiefs thought someone wanted him before they could get him 

And we KNOW Beane had other calls. Do we KNOW that those teams were calling because they wanted Worthy? No. But the Chiefs was not the only offer. I don't buy the "the only way to keep him out of the Chiefs grasp was to pick him" narrative as though it is fact. It may well be the case but we don't know that. 

One of the things I like about Beane is there's very little pissing and moaning about the hand he's been dealt.

He looks at his cards, decides what he needs to get what he wants, and wheels and deals accordingly.

In this case, he dealt our 3rd round pick to help us be competitive after injuries during the season - and it worked.  But then the NFL screwed us on the comp pick formula, left us without the 3rd we expected, and was deaf to appeals.  So Beane shrugged, rolled up his sleeves, and figured out what he needed to do.

I remember all too well the days of Buddy Nix moaning on the catfished cell phone call about how the Bills "only had 6 picks - what can you do with 6 picks?"

Beane may be right, he may be wrong, but if he goes down, he's going to go down trying to make a difference.

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, but each trade is in a vacuum with individual circumstances.  And in this case, the correct move was to strip KC of a 3rd as there was nothing Bills could to keep KC from getting a top WR prospect with top end speed and more than likely they still get the same player anyway.  

If Bills were picking 12th and we gave KC a shot at an elite prospect that was head and shoulders above the other ones on the board, then yes, don’t do that trade.  

But in this case, taking away their 3rd was a win for us in every way you can analyze the trade.

What if one of the other teams calling wanted Worthy? It isn't definitely the case that the only way to keep him from KC was to pick him. And I'm not even that fussed by Worthy particularly. I think he is another WR2 and KC has Rice and Hollywood already that I think fit that criteria (Rice maybe a lower end #1 I suppose, let's see). It isn't about the outcome so much as the process to me. My principle is I'm not doing anything I think might help KC. 

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

What if one of the other teams calling wanted Worthy? It isn't definitely the case that the only way to keep him from KC was to pick him. And I'm not even that fussed by Worthy particularly. I think he is another WR2 and KC has Rice and Hollywood already that I think fit that criteria (Rice maybe a lower end #1 I suppose, let's see). It isn't about the outcome so much as the process to me. My principle is I'm not doing anything I think might help KC. 

I think SF was taking Worthy

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And we KNOW Beane had other calls. Do we KNOW that those teams were calling because they wanted Worthy? No. But the Chiefs was not the only offer. I don't buy the "the only way to keep him out of the Chiefs grasp was to pick him" narrative as though it is fact. It may well be the case but we don't know that. 

What we can reasonably guess is that the Chiefs offered more than the other callers.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Legette is your 4th WR on your board.  My criticism is he has a lot to work on to succeed as a WR1 at next level and felt better taking him round 2.

However, even I would say Legette in KC is a LOT scarier than Worthy who is no where near the same type of player Hill is as people are making it out to be.  

If there was a place that I felt Legette could reach his potential it’s KC.  And him at his potential is a nightmare scenario.  

So if KC misses on Worthy what’s stopping them from taking someone way scarier in Legette?

And man, do I feel bad for Legette.  Carolina was a terrible spot for him and I think it decreases his chances of reaching his potential.  But him in KC would have been worse than Worthy by a lot IMHO.

And quite frankly so would have McConkey, Mitchell and Franklin.  

I voted yes because he did not draft athletes with low football production (Chop Robinson, Marshawn Kneeland), or take a one year wonder who's 95% athlete, 5% football player (e.g. Legette).

I probably wouldn't have done business with the Chiefs, but it was a solid business decision. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think SF was taking Worthy

I mean it’s possible, but I honestly don’t, from what I hear is that they loved Pearsall.  Worthy does not at all fit Lynch style of player.  I kept telling people after the combine not to sleep on Pearsall, he had one of the best combines of any WR.  He is much more the type of player SF looks for compared to Worthy.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And that's a fine principle.  

Let's suppose San Francisco had Worthy ahead of Pearsall on their board, while Beane (right or wrong) has 0 interest in Worthy.  They have a 3rd round grade on him, say.  So, what if Dallas or the Ravens trade with KC?  KC still gets Worthy, and we don't get their 3rd round pick.  KC has gotten a lot of meat and potatoes out of their recent 3rd round picks.

So let's see, in that scenario, KC helps themselves and we get nothing for high-mindedly holding out, instead of taking their 3rd round pick (which presumably also helps us)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But we didn’t “help” KC.  We reduced their drafting power and took away a pick they need as they have a lot of other holes so they can get a WR who wasn’t even the scariest option for them with at least 5 other WRs they could have taken 4 picks later, including likely the one they drafted.  And in doing so, we helped us with more draft ammo to try and improve our team to get past them.

This notion we helped them is just not accurate in this specific trade scenario IMHO.  And it should be your opinion too given you don’t think Worthy was the best choice and they lost a 3rd in taking him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

For what it's worth - I went to one of KC's boards after the Worthy pick, and I'd say at least half the sentiments were "we could have gotten Worthy at 32," and a good portion were "why did we trade up and not take Mitchell?"

• Like (+1) 3

If Bills take Mitchell at 33 the feeling is going to be a lot different. A lot of people had Mitchell>Worthy. Will go from "why did the Bills give the Chiefs Worthy" to "why would the chiefs trade up and give up value to take a worse WR."

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean it’s possible, but I honestly don’t, from what I hear is that they loved Pearsall.  Worthy does not at all fit Lynch style of player.  I kept telling people after the combine not to sleep on Pearsall, he had one of the best combines of any WR.  He is much more the type of player SF looks for compared to Worthy.  

I’m a Pearsall fan. My thinking was more Shanahan than Lynch. Imagine what that guy could do with Worthy? That’s the same reason I didn’t want him in KC. Worthy is dangerous in the right offense. 

If I were a GM in the NFL, what Beane did last night would be a strategy I employ most off-seasons. I’’d trade down when possible, stockpile picks and plan for next year’s draft as well. There are certainly times where I’d stay put or possibly move up, if I needed an elite player at a position, QB, etc. But I’d generally be happy to deal with other teams and increase opportunities to bring in more cheap, young talent. 

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Legette is your 4th WR on your board.  My criticism is he has a lot to work on to succeed as a WR1 at next level and felt better taking him round 2.

However, even I would say Legette in KC is a LOT scarier than Worthy who is no where near the same type of player Hill is as people are making it out to be.  

If there was a place that I felt Legette could reach his potential it’s KC.  And him at his potential is a nightmare scenario.  

So if KC misses on Worthy what’s stopping them from taking someone way scarier in Legette?

And man, do I feel bad for Legette.  Carolina was a terrible spot for him and I think it decreases his chances of reaching his potential.  But him in KC would have been worse than Worthy by a lot IMHO.

And quite frankly so would have McConkey, Mitchell and Franklin.  

But we don't know that KC liked all those guys. We now know that Beane didn't like Legette or Worthy. So why presume KC liked everyone? I'm not saying the Bills had the power to stop KC drafting good players. Clearly we don't. I just as a matter of principle while they are our main competitor am not super pleased about helping them. I accept it helped us re-stock our day 2 cupboard. That's a plus. But overall the risk that you help them draft a difference maker isn't worth the value back IMO. And as @NoSaint says if it works out in the worst possible way for the Bills it will put major pressure on Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Josh is in the prime of his career, and he has no weapons. What Beane did was unacceptable.

Mahomes is in the prime of his career and won 2 Super Bowls with less weapons than the Bills had. Weapons have never been the problem for us.

• Agree 1

I didn't mind him trading out of the first round with the Chiefs although i hope it don't wind up biting the Bills in the butt . The second trade down with the Panthers i kind of wish Beane wouldn't have done that trade & gotten Leggette but now it's to late for that .

I believe tonight Beane will get either McConkey or Mitchell or both seeing as they got 2 second round picks but i do like that he got a third round pick . 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But we don't know that KC liked all those guys. We now know that Beane didn't like Legette or Worthy. So why presume KC liked everyone? I'm not saying the Bills had the power to stop KC drafting good players. Clearly we don't. I just as a matter of principle while they are our main competitor am not super pleased about helping them. I accept it helped us re-stock our day 2 cupboard. That's a plus. But overall the risk that you help them draft a difference maker isn't worth the value back IMO. And as @NoSaint says if it works out in the worst possible way for the Bills it will put major pressure on Beane. 

I agree it will put pressure on Beane if Worthy works.  But not because it should, because the media and public don’t understand the reality of this trade and how little difference it made, if any, in KC getting help at WR and likely getting the same player even.  

I love what Beane did yesterday.  Once the top three receivers came off the board and there wasn't an immediate run on the second tier of receivers, I definitely wanted Beane to trade back for additional draft capital in the second and third rounds.  Just taking a look at all of the good players available on the board right now, I wouldn't be against being moving back another few pics to increase the value of our second second round pick. There's a decent chance we walk away with our new starting center and two receivers that can contribute as rookies.

Edited by TheBrownBear